Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

maporfic posted:

While people's bathroom habits and paper usage vary widely, I've average usage statistics between 20,000 and 49,000 sheets per year per person. If a roll of 1000 sheets costs around $1 and it lasts a person a week, that's $52 per year in TP.

20–49k sheets per year is 55 to 134 sheets per day. There's just no way that the average person uses 100 sheets of TP per day, unless triple ply counts as 3x the sheet usage. I see that statistic quoted online too but it sounds like poo poo. Financially too, even at $50/yr, the 'savings' from using less TP will literally never recoup the cost those fancy Japanese bidets, e.g. I'm pretty sure you won't get 26 years of use out of http://www.amazon.com/SW554-01-Washlet-Elongated-Toilet-Cotton/dp/B0011YSEUC , or even 13 if you're a couple using the toilet.

But yeah bidets sound like the way to go for environmental/hygiene reasons. Too bad the only ones that exist in Europe are terrible 1950s ones that scared people away from ever using them in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ohnonotme posted:

We have fine, warm, gentle bidets in Europe - and you can buy the equivalent in the US without a problem. Just plumbs in like a basin.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/products/category.aspx?d=1&pc=4&p=1&so=productDate&di=0&t=4&r=25
And I'm sure there are plenty more!

I live in Europe, and have been around the vast majority of Western Europe, and the only bidets I've ever seen are the French style ones that are completely separate from the toilet itself, take up a ton of room, and that I've never heard of anyone ever using. Most of the ones I've seen also only have the faucet on the front too (none on the bottom) which means I don't even understand if you can use it for your rear end, and that I guess are exclusively for women's use, e: like this one:

I've seen ones with the 'butthole cleaner' maybe a handful of times, tops.

Yeah they're definitely more hygienic but the economic argument doesn't make any sense if you have to pay for installing one yourself, unless you do some ultra janky DIY cold water plastic tube installation connected to your toilet (assuming you have a toilet with an accessible water supply, which is rare—at least in Europe). European toilets generally look like this:

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 22, 2016

• Locked thread