Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Silly season is pretty much done and it's almost the new year. Time to start thinking about 2017. Thread titles time maybe?

Verizon IndyCar Series 2017: Jean Girard Championship Bandwagon

Verizon IndyCar Series 2017: Less Monster, More Energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Verizon IndyCar Series 2017: Our champions don't retire

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's mind boggling how slow Dennis Vitolo was on street circuits. Watching Toronto '97 and he was over 20 seconds down on Matsushita before mysteriously retiring early on.

Edit: Also, Tasman started running a Reynard (Ribiero) and a revised Lola (Fernandez), an arrangement I think would lead to issues with data sharing and setup for the races. Coyne was doing the same thing WRT to his team, switching to a Reynard for Jourdain Jr., but running the shittier early version of the T97/00 for whoever he could swindle into the seat. You gotta feel bad for the second Coyne drivers and also Meier I guess for being stuck with the absolute worst version of an already terrible car.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 23, 2016

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I met Vitolo this year at a motorcycle training class. He was super nice and I made fun of him for his '94 Indy 500 crash. He was faster than me on the motorcycles too. :(

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

You should've crashed into him and say you did it for the Queen :britain:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dennis Vitolo was a garbageman.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Given the age of half the field, seems like nobody else is retiring either :v:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I got christmas a few days early, and got Forza 6 as a result.

Racing at IMS in the DW-12 is bizarrely terrifying.

I know it's just a game, but all I kept imagining were these factors (from when I did the two-seater)

-You're wearing a firesuit that is adding an insane amount of heat to your body. (not to mention that May in Indy has been significantly humid)
-You've got the stress and anxiety of having 350k plus watching your every move. Not to mention the TV audience, and sheer WEIGHT of taking part in such an event.
-The amount of G-Forces you have on your body has to take an insane toll on your body. I did it for two laps, and my neck hurt for a MONTH.
-You're going so insanely fast that you almost feel "dizzy" looking at your sorroudings. Imagine the sensation you had when you were on one of those spinning "swing" things that was on the playground as a kid, then multiple it times a million or so.

This is all in addition to the fact that you have be constantly aware of your surroundings and the condition of the car.

It's incredible how HARD IMS is when the general thinking by a lot of non-indy racing fans generally think "tssch. it's just 4 turns".

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 25, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Add in just how insanely narrow that track is at 220+ - and the line is so narrow that most of it might as well not even be there.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Verizon IndyCar Series 2017: tssch, it's just 4 turns.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Add in just how insanely narrow that track is at 220+ - and the line is so narrow that most of it might as well not even be there.

Paul Page said it was designed for 90 MPH per the 1990 Indy 500 broadcast.

I believe it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The thing that gets me about IMS is that you're basically going 225mph directly towards a concrete wall, and the only thing you're doing by turning away from the wall is turning into another wall that you need to turn away from.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Indycar: Like A Million Spinning Tire Swings

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hell, wheel an Indycar around Bristol and get back to me

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

hell, wheel an Indycar around Bristol and get back to me

I drove the Lotus E23 on the Daytona oval because I was curious what the stupidest thing one could do in that regard could be.

There's a reason why an open wheel car hasn't tried the oval since 1959...

e: Was hoping they had the Monza oval in the game, but sadly they do not.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
iracing the DW12 at Daytona goes about as well as you'd expect - it's easy by yourself but it's just plate racing at 230mph which is impossible - at the shorter flatter tracks you get aeropush which breaks stuff up a bit.

I find Indy easy in iracing although that may well just be because it's one of the few things that I'm good at - both of my iracing wins happened there and I'm almost always up front. Requires consistency though, there are multiple lines and you can pass (the outside is slightly easier although difficult) but there's only one fast way round and it's subtly different for everyone - I run the white line, some people dip the inside wheels below it but I find that hurts your exit from the corner. Nothing like real life though - you don't have the close confines, the forces, the fear of crashing...

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

How did I not read "Beast" sooner?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IceAgeComing posted:

iracing the DW12 at Daytona goes about as well as you'd expect - it's easy by yourself but it's just plate racing at 230mph which is impossible - at the shorter flatter tracks you get aeropush which breaks stuff up a bit.

I find Indy easy in iracing although that may well just be because it's one of the few things that I'm good at - both of my iracing wins happened there and I'm almost always up front. Requires consistency though, there are multiple lines and you can pass (the outside is slightly easier although difficult) but there's only one fast way round and it's subtly different for everyone - I run the white line, some people dip the inside wheels below it but I find that hurts your exit from the corner. Nothing like real life though - you don't have the close confines, the forces, the fear of crashing...

The main key to Indy in iRacing is tire management

if you have better tires on a late restart (which chances say you'll get) you'll run right by everyone

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

How did I not read "Beast" sooner?

Because you made poor choices in life. It is an excellent read.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Tony George and Donald Trump are very similar.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Tony George and Donald Trump are very similar.

They're both bad but it's kind of amusing watching people freak out over them?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Their language, reasoning and fake stats are a lot alike.

I've started using JFDI around my office, I'm not sure my co-workers appreciate it though...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

Is it?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Donald Trump was at the first IRL race at Walt Disney World Speedway. He was interviewed by Dave Calabro, and was jeered/cheered by the crow.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Tri-Oval was kinda cool if dangerous.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

it's downright hilarious on both counts

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

First off, if anyone has the means to create one? I'd love a Dr. Jack Miller avatar.

Second off. I do think the IRL was a good idea in theory...it was the overall execution and the 25/8 rule that were loving stupid. It'd have been awesome if it was indeed something akin to what happened to the sport from 1979-1981 where there were two series with the best of the drivers meeting up at Indy in May.

A top level, oval oriented :911: series that drew talent from the short track ranks to give them their shot at running Indy? That's a very awesome idea. A true revival of the "Gold Crown" series that used to serve that purpose quite well. It's just sad that it had to be an "ALL OR NOTHING" proposition from both camps for many years...

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It was a bad idea that killed the sport because Tony George was retarded.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Too bad Monaco is the same day as the 500 so we can't have F1 drivers giving it a shot, but it does give us a slate of three glorious races to watch on one day.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

Too bad Monaco is the same day as the 500 so we can't have F1 drivers giving it a shot, but it does give us a slate of three glorious races to watch on one day.

Yeah it's a shame.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Many of them seem terrified by the prospect.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the goodest thing of 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

the goodest thing of 2016

Whoa I missed that, when/where did that happen?

Also taking any final suggestions for 2017 thread title. Leading prospect is

quote:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

Many of them seem terrified by the prospect.

Schumi was.

Hamilton seems to like the US i(similar to Mansell). He seems to be the kinda guy to con into doing it but again, I don't think any Indy team could ever afford him. He'll be in Cup though one day. That I can see.

Vetttel of all people seemed to be very warm to the idea. Alonso has spoken about doing it in the past, and Chip has said he'd give him a ride if he was interested.

e: You never really know though. I was convinced that Rossi would only try Indy as a "last resort" sort of thing after flaming out of F1, WEC, and Cup. Turns out? He loves it here. i don't think I've ever been more wrong about a driver.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 29, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

Whoa I missed that, when/where did that happen?

It was in Pruett's year in pictures:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/g6897/the-motorsports-milestones-of-2016-in-photos/

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Schumi was.

Hamilton seems to like the US i(similar to Mansell). He seems to be the kinda guy to con into doing it but again, I don't think any Indy team could ever afford him. He'll be in Cup though one day. That I can see.

Vetttel of all people seemed to be very warm to the idea. Alonso has spoken about doing it in the past, and Chip has said he'd give him a ride if he was interested.

e: You never really know though. I was convinced that Rossi would only try Indy as a "last resort" sort of thing after flaming out of F1, WEC, and Cup. Turns out? He loves it here. i don't think I've ever been more wrong about a driver.

Hamilton once said the only other series he's interested in trying is World of Outlaws :getin:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Schumi was.

I hate to say it, but Vettel would probably be insanely good at Indy.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Alain Post posted:

E: Indycar 2017: Just loving Post It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

wicka posted:

I hate to say it, but Vettel would probably be insanely good at Indy.

Indy does seem alot like a Tilkedrome

• Locked thread