Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm honestly a bit puzzled as to why Tony George just didn't try to take over USAC back in the early 90's and then have that be apart of his grand IRL scheme.

Seems really bizarre that something that Tony Hulman created, and who's HQ is literally across the street from VICS/IMS are not on good terms. I mean the Indy 500 champion was literally still termed the "Gold Crown Champion" up until 1995.

If he was so hellbent on creating some :911: oval track series he should have just done that.

Anyways..let's see.

quote:

Field Indy 500-only entries for Dave Darland, Bryan Clauson, Bobby Santos, Rico Abreu and Sierra Jackson.

Dude who runs Byrd Racing said it would be near impossible to run Abreu in a car fwiw. Darland seems like he'd be too old at this point. Clauson? Byrd Racing seems to have him nailed down. Sierra Jackson intrigues me...

quote:

Lease a good Indy 500 ride for Sammy Swindell, who still gasses it at age 60 and deserves to make Indy before he retires.

Viking just came.

No seriously this idea is silly though.

quote:

Commission Dan Gurney and All-American Racers to design and build one more Eagle to be driven by J.R. Hildebrand.

Is this realistic? Just asking if they'd even remotely be able to compete with Dallara who has a near monopoly on chasis.

I don't know, under my own personal IndyCar dictatorship?
-Buy out USAC, fire everyone. Hire Viking to run the thing. Hire competent race officials.
-Bring back the Atlantics Championship.
-Create a separate "MRTI" for dirt track talent. Have a "Super Mod" series with the intent of training them to run Indy Lights.
-Buy up Nazareth, Gateway, Pikes Peak, Rockingham Nashville and, Milwaukee. Repair them all.
-Find ways to run Portland, Laguna Seca, and Cleveland. Toss the idea around to return to Surfers Paradise. Create some sort of truce with SMI and ISC to run more venues and less temporary events.
-move the sport to NBC and Fox. Have them alternate Indy 500s. Ban all Waltrips from being apart of the Fox coverage.
-Bring back the PPG Cup. Award the Vanderbilt Cup at the Michigan 500 (or Pocono) and the Astor Cup at Fontana. Make the Triple Crown the "Triple Crown".
-Find ways to rebuild the 60's culture of having drivers do cross over efforts. F1 and NASCAR drivers running Indy, Indy drivers doing NASCAR, F1 and Sports Cars.
-Create some sort of NFL-like governing body to ensure that 1979 or 1996 never happens again. Ever.

Also agreed with the Mug N'Bun and IMS museum ideas. I want the IMS museum to include every car imaginable and have some sort of set up like the HOF in Canton.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I didn't come I loving hate Swindell

Give that car to Jac Haudenschild

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

I'd probably start a career as a gentleman driver in sports cars. That or just get a bitching iRacing setup.

Me too except it'd be the Renault Clio BTCC support series.

Liking the idea of attempting a GTD punt at Sebring though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

if i won the powerball, i would be all like 'nicenice' and invest it conservatively and not in racing

I would spend it all on becoming a pay driver.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 45 hours!)

I'd get a car for Mark Plourde to run in the 500.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

-Bring back the PPG Cup

i met the CEO once i can help w/ this

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

i met the CEO once i can help w/ this

I guess the look of the cup has been around since the 70's (76?) I think because I saw it on the cover of an old USAC yearbook.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Trying out this whole "embed a tweet" thing.

https://twitter.com/Hinchtown/status/685888554946265089

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

gret posted:

I'd probably start a career as a gentleman driver in sports cars. That or just get a bitching iRacing setup.

You would literally be the embodiment of Rich GT Gentleman Goon Drivers everywhere, and also on TV.

I'd just take the money and subsidize teams to increase the number of teams/entrants. Also I'd cap teams at 2 cars like in F1. I'd also pay for 100% of MRTI's operating budget

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

-move the sport to NBC and Fox. Have them alternate Indy 500s. Ban all Waltrips from being apart of the Fox coverage.

stream it all. don't go through the networks, make your own indycar service and keep all the money. let a broadcast network simulcast it for pennies just to increase exposure. hire bob varsha. hire someone who sounds like paul page but hasn't lost their god drat mind. resurrect james hunt.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

be nice wicka posted:

resurrect james hunt.

...and share him with F1.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

stream it all. don't go through the networks, make your own indycar service and keep all the money. let a broadcast network simulcast it for pennies just to increase exposure. hire bob varsha. hire someone who sounds like paul page but hasn't lost their god drat mind. resurrect james hunt.

I guess CART was discussing the concept of creating their own channel in the 80's or 90's.

The idea was mocked "Why would you do that if you can get paid to air your races on other channels".

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
As somebody planning on watching Indycar for the first time this year coming from F1 is there anything I need to know?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

1500quidporsche posted:

As somebody planning on watching Indycar for the first time this year coming from F1 is there anything I need to know?

Expect actual racing.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
That's kind of why I want to start watching.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Red Cars are the devil. That's all you need to know.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

If you thought live attendance was down in F1, then we have a surprise for you!

But seriously, it's much, much more on track action and is driver focused. The aerokits added a small bit of tech showdown, as did the engines, but it was still all about driving your rear end off. Don't knock ovals until you've watched them. I was strictly into road racing before I really got into IndyCar, but the ovals are great, nothing like the NASCAR pack racing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Mid-pack drivers running out of talent.
Backmarker drivers having no talent.
Strange calls/non-calls from race control.
An inability to race in wet/drying conditions.
The never-ending debate of how to make Indycar popular again.
Penske is the devil.
Ganassi is the devil.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

Oval racing is far more complex than you think it is. Just for starters, F1 cars might touch 180-200mph once or twice a lap. Places like Indianapolis see the cars never below 220mph for the entire lap.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTmJ6xD58QQ

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Strategy is a much different beast. Safety cars/full course cautions are very rare in Formula 1 (one every few races, maybe?) compared to Indycar (two or three per race, easily) and pit stops are obviously longer, so when to pit and when to stay out plays a much larger role throughout the race and approaching the final stint.

The current Indycar champion, whose name escapes me at the moment, is an absolute wizard in going fast while conserving fuel and tires, and the extra laps he manufactures on the track translates into time saved in the pits, but often is more important in the flexibility it gives teams in when to pit/not pit under caution.

But in the end, it's the oval racing that will get you hooked on Indycar. There have been (and will be) snoozers, but the good ones will captivate you. The Indy 500 too, which has been ridiculously good since they introduced the new car.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

WindyMan posted:

The current Indycar champion, whose name escapes me at the moment

:golfclap:

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

VikingSkull posted:

Give that car to Jac Haudenschild

This sent a shiver down my spine. It would either be the greatest thing ever or the man would die 10 minutes into practice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You also never need to worry about tires blowing up because Firestone figured out a tire that gets slow long before it gets dangerous. Tracks like Iowa, you might take tires on any yellow even if you don't need fuel at all. Other tracks, the tires might be fine but it takes less time to change them than it does to refuel anyway, so you take a fresh set.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And you never have to see Bernie's hair.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Outlaw Mailman posted:

This sent a shiver down my spine. It would either be the greatest thing ever or the man would die 10 minutes into practice.

His fight with Kinser at Syracuse in '92 is the stuff of legend.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bentai posted:

An inability to race in wet/drying conditions.

oh yeah this is a big one. the IndyCar wet tires are like an F1 intermediate so if its a monsoon they'll either go full yellow or red flag.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Oval racing is very much a world I don't understand other than knowing that it's a completely different ball game requiring different skill sets.

My local kart track is supposed to get an oval at some point down the road so I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't at least partially interested if only to learn how that whole world works.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think they really are straight up intermediates, from what ive read. Firestone doesnt make the real wets anymore because a lot of the tracks dont have any drainage, so any real rain means a track shutdown anyway. So they ended up with big stacks of unused full wets every year, which just get thrown away.

Wish we had some of those real wets last year though, felt like we were rain delayed every goddamn weekend at some point.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Peanut President posted:

Red* Cars are the devil. That's all you need to know.

*Red cars may not be red

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Cygni posted:

Wish we had some of those real wets last year though, felt like we were rain delayed every goddamn weekend at some point.
The first quarter of the season could have been better with proper wets. NOLA might have been salvageable.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CactusWeasle posted:

*Red cars may not be red

Yeah.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

great oval racing is the best thing motor racing has to offer IMO. really bad oval races are like watching the christian horner/ginger spice sex tape we all know exists. the good thing about indycar is that the bad oval races are typically just mediocre.

indycar in 2016 will have more genuinely likable drivers than F1 has had its entire history combined

if you're in indy during the 500, don't speed

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

Oval racing is very much a world I don't understand other than knowing that it's a completely different ball game requiring different skill sets.

My local kart track is supposed to get an oval at some point down the road so I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't at least partially interested if only to learn how that whole world works.

If anyone tells you it's just left turns, show them this.

Or this.

It is just left turns, but the constant speed and constant close quarters are the elements that you race against, not necessarily the turns.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

if you're in indy during the 500, don't speed

So very much this. ISP is evil about speed traps / unmarked cars.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

To add, Marion County (where Indy is) will let you pay off tickets. Surrounding counties, it's on your record.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

If anyone tells you it's just left turns, show them this.

Or this.

It is just left turns, but the constant speed and constant close quarters are the elements that you race against, not necessarily the turns.

Excellent links.

Got some to add

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TgmaTg9YTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeREa0HUrXY

Turn 1 at Indianapolis is also insane. Having done the two seater it's literally flat out over most of the track with the exception of that one drat corner...so smooth, but drat it is one of the toughest places in the world to race.

e: Bonus? Danny loving Sullivan ftw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmLc5zVmXQ&t=11m0s

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 14, 2016

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

As many times as I've watched this, I've only now just realized the speed he must have been going. What were they pulling coming out of T1 in 1985?

ed- Actually, this is perfect example of why Indy oval racing is incredible. Once you understand how close to the limit the drivers are pushing the cars, you will start to realize just how butt-clenching it is watching it.

I'd link the 2015 Fontana race here, but I don't want to get the wrong idea across. That thing was an anomaly. A glorious, glorious anomaly.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 14, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKbJlz_QUw?t=3962
And the last lap pass that made some of us :swoon: for Sato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IndyCar is great because there's a lot of purity in it in quite a few ways.

Like most :911: forms of auto racing the drivers are fairly down to earth and there's just this typical "style" to it.

To quote Derek Daly in mocking the US GP in 2005

"Let me tell you boys. I live in Indianapolis. When Michael Schumacher gifted the win to Rubens Barichello? It went over like a lead balloon. American racing fans are used to man and machine fighting it out to the end...."

Oddly enough NASCAR and IndyCar have also received quite a bit of praise from various drivers from all over the globe for the type of atmosphere both produce. Emerson Fittipaldi has said this about his time in CART and racing at Indy:

quote:

In time, that would change, and in the 1980s and 1990s I actually won considerably more Indycar races - 22 - than the 14 grands prix I’d won in F1 from 1970 to 1980. In so doing, I had some great times and made some great friends - most particularly the grandees of the great American racing dynasties - the Unsers (Bobby and Al), the Andrettis (Mario and Mike), AJ Foyt, Johnny Rutherford, Rick Mears, Bobby Rahal, Danny Sullivan and many more. They were all wonderful guys. And, perhaps principally as a result of those friendships, although F1 will always be foremost in my affections - because it’s the pinnacle of our sport, with the most challenging circuits and the most sophisticated cars - I’ll admit that I enjoyed Indycar even more, for its warm ambience, for its friendly rivalry, for its sporting ethics, and, yes, for the purity of its enthusiasm and respect for its own sporting heritage.

But, if you’ve never been to the Indy 500, here’s why. The Indy 500 is utterly sensational. The spectacle of sitting trackside in the Turn One grandstand, watching big heavy powerful single-seaters thunder past your nose at around 400km/h (249mph), is quite unlike anything that any F1 fan has ever seen. The word ‘awesome’ is often over-used by sports fans and in particular sports writers, but undoubtedly the Indy 500 deserves that accolade: it’s truly awesome. As a result, US racing fans, who had grown used to having their minds blown and their guts wrenched by the Indy 500 on an annual basis, found F1 races at Indianapolis very disappointing.

Stefano Colletti told me he LOVED it over here because he gets to interact and meet fans versus the type of style that occurs within the F1 paddocks. A lot of drivers feel very similiar to that.

Again like others have said (and of which I'll agree with) it's something about this country that produces this type of racing that somewhat transcends the country. From dirt tracks to Indianapolis and Daytona? This type of thing happens quite often!

• Locked thread