Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's cheaper than an Eastern States day pass, good poo poo.

I'm no Formula E fan but I'll admit it seems way more legit than I figured they'd be by now. Good on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I didn't come I loving hate Swindell

Give that car to Jac Haudenschild

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

As somebody planning on watching Indycar for the first time this year coming from F1 is there anything I need to know?

Oval racing is far more complex than you think it is. Just for starters, F1 cars might touch 180-200mph once or twice a lap. Places like Indianapolis see the cars never below 220mph for the entire lap.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Outlaw Mailman posted:

This sent a shiver down my spine. It would either be the greatest thing ever or the man would die 10 minutes into practice.

His fight with Kinser at Syracuse in '92 is the stuff of legend.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

Oval racing is very much a world I don't understand other than knowing that it's a completely different ball game requiring different skill sets.

My local kart track is supposed to get an oval at some point down the road so I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't at least partially interested if only to learn how that whole world works.

If anyone tells you it's just left turns, show them this.

Or this.

It is just left turns, but the constant speed and constant close quarters are the elements that you race against, not necessarily the turns.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

How many racing series these days still try to run in truly torrential downpours? They all create massive rooster tails of spray, and it really doesn't take much speed on standing water to hydroplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zi2tOu1oZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9z5vEW6n_s

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lmao I'm watching a roundtable with Uncle Bobby that we need to cytube, but he's talking about the road courses coming into Indy and how his team was like "now Bobby, we might need some more seat time for you, this isn't an oval" and he just sits there thinking "what the gently caress is Pikes Peak"

also he calls Mario a wop repeatedly lol

e- also the time he took a handful of unknown pills then went out to run a BRM at the Glen and wadded it up hahahaha Uncle Bobby rules

e2- ok Bobby is a total psychopath

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 19, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Brian France is about the only person I've ever seen match Tony George in terms of killing off an easy money maker.

I'm stunned to see what both Bill France Sr. and Jr. were able to build only to have it crumble into a great deal of mediocrity.

It's a drat shame too. There's A LOT of knowledgeable people involved in stock car racing. There's fans, drivers, owners, crew chiefs, and others that clearly know what the hell they're doing. Yet, they're managed by a guy that literally had "NASCAR FOR DUMMIES" on his desk.

I feel that weird sense of "Wow. What the hell happened?" I get when I watch 1992-1995 Indy 500's when I was watching NBC replay a bunch of 2000's cup races.

What Brian France is doing is what his dad and grandad told him to do.

Everyone acts like he's a moron but the France's like money and he's earned more of it than either of them did.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hmmm, Interesting.

Still, I'm not thrilled at what's he tried to do with Stock Car racing since he's taken over, but I imagine if this indeed the plan his family came up well...SMDH.

the plan has always been "make money", auto racing is just the way they are achieving that

if you think Big Bill got into racing because he loved it, lol

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Indycar 2016: "Nothing is going to replace a penis at the end of the day," he says. "We get some of these products that are just wild, but the penis will still be the product that everyone wants."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Smoke should run this year in Cup, drop the mic in November, and then start a 4 car Indy team with all his current drivers IMO

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
In the "how in the ever loving gently caress haven't I heard this before?!" files, apparently old school midpacker Ed Pimm grew up here and graduated from my highschool. The gently caress?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=TKVGAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SDMNAAAAIBAJ&pg=4624%2C3073012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I never heard him mentioned at my school once. I'm pretty sure the most famous graduate we had was former 20 game winning pitcher Matt Morris.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I still don't understand how NASCAR figured out decades ago that the easiest way around poo poo like that is just own the tracks and surrounding land.

Like, they did that poo poo when they were a regional sport and Indycar was on top, so don't give me financial poo poo, it was loving complacency and stupidity.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
bring back snorkel scoops :colbert:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Dixon's car might just be the best looking car since Mears

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lawl @ running the Ridgeline in the Truck series

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm the horse people too, my Italian grandfather used to bring me to OTB if my grandparents were babysitting me

Italian and Jamaican men at age 6, fun times

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you know what else floats into town, maybe annually, maybe once and never again?

pro wrestling and carnivals

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Think Indycar would race there?

naaaah, prolly not

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Human Grand Prix posted:

*Back of the room voice* Watkins Glen!

The Glen is NASCAR country now, and needs a ton of upgrades to be safe for an open wheeler.

Whereas CNYRP is under construction and the dude building it would gladly build it to Indy specs if they came along and tossed a few hundred grand at him.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
they could scrounge it up, if they can't just call Brian France already, jesus

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

The funniest part of that article is NASCAR Road Course Racing :laffo:

reminder that NASCAR runs American sportscar racing lol

e- I'm 100% serious about that track, though. I'm familiar with Donnelly and that motherfucker will get poo poo done at a cut rate. He'd kill for an Indycar date, that track only exists at this point to fund the dirt track because he's a mod guy

if I had my druthers I'd rather CNYRP collapse because that would make OCFS the undisputed king track of modifieds, but on the same token I think Indy could have a real shot at the northeast market on a dedicated road course here

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 15, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

To be fair, the only NASCAR races I can actually watch from Green to Checkered without falling asleep are road course events. I was making fun of the fact that adding road courses is the opposite of what NASCAR is going for. I mean they used to race twice at both Sonoma & the Glen, now it's only once on watered down versions of each track. I'm all for more road course races regardless of what kind of car it is.

they've never run twice a year at those tracks

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

Hmm I could have swore they used to run twice on those tracks but I stand corrected.

Yeah, the only road course they used to visit twice a year was Riverside.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we are now at the "planning a tentative global schedule despite the series being on life support in its #1 market" portion of the thread

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I bet Kurt put the kibosh on that considering how silly he made Indy look when you think about it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
to be honest Indycar is kinda weird in how the drivers interact with each other

I can't even say it's a WWI-style aerodrome mentality where you already consider yourself dead and the camaraderie of your fate keeps you together, because sprint car guys usually hate each other

I don't blame him for thinking it's weird tbh

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
having an open pits and having drivers all be friends are two different things

a guy like Smoke might have a few friends that are drivers but not on the scale like the Indy guys seem to have

sprint pits tend to be a bit standoffish as the teams race too many times a year to be putting up with your bullshit. if you catch the top 5 or 10 after the race is over you might have some fun with them

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that's badass

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

be nice wicka posted:

if the pillar is off to one side then it could hide the apex of the corner

if my buddy and I could street drive a tunnel rammed Vega, these guys can handle a pillar in the way

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Spaced God posted:

Indycar firing some shots re: the closest Daytona 500 finish by posting this the day after, methinks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6XZpba9SKo

(Regardless these are still great loving finishes)

I hope the shot they fired wasn't a "oh hey cool, look how badass ovals are" shot, because if so, they missed

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
papis came to the US and was totally brainwashed by our racing culture, it's great

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
your race ain't poo poo if it doesn't have a segregated area for debauchery :colbert:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
RIP Bobby Johns, driver of Smokey's pod car :smith:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the polished wheels are a bit much on the Penske

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Uncle Jam posted:

Pretty much all the low slung cigar cars look awesome.

Imagine if they discovered aero when they were still running around in the leaf sprung straight 8s and never perfected that rear engined shape.

man gently caress that Ford DOHC poo poo

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
cost in my top tier racing series :qq:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here you go Fuzzy

not really Indy related, but it is open wheel @ Nazareth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
crosspost from AI, Indycar, had European cars not hit the Speedway in the 60's

• Locked thread