Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And you never have to see Bernie's hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Every racing series needs to run Mid Ohio.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

monaco and uh the indy road course? how short is suzuka, it seems short-ish

Suzuka I think is one of the longer F1 tracks, one of those sub-4k tracks is almost certainly the Red Bull Ring and I think you're right about Monaco.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

F1 is so much better at being corrupt than american motorsport. truly is the pinnacle

Its always gonna be funny to me that Moscow Raceway was built for F1, and F1 races instead on a loving street circuit in Sochi.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It'd likely be the same as the NFL, people would show up the first time out of curiosity but it'd be diminishing returns if they tried to make it a regular thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dudley posted:

I'm not sure that's a great example. I thought they'd easily sold out every game in the UK and they've announced they're going to be a playing a lot more of them here in future.

What I've heard is there's less and less interest as more and more of the UK games involve the Jaguars. They might still be selling tickets, but the TV coverage is hyped less and its not covered in the news any more because its none of the major teams playing. There were a lot of articles I read last year about how the whole idea would collapse if they did what's been rumoured and make the Jaguars a UK home team.

Though having said all that, motorsport is a very different thing to football. A better example would be to look at the 2001 and 2002 CART races at Rockingham, they didn't exactly pack the place in 2001 and 2002 had even fewer people there. Probably part of why the Rockingham oval stopped being used. Though Euro NASCAR seems to do alright so who the gently caress knows.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 16, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

If that happened, they'd actually get my money.

Mine too, I'd like a way to watch races from the UK.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I am fond of yellow cars and that is very yellow.

be nice wicka posted:

i'm excited to see the worst indycar livery this year because it will probably be better than the best F1 has to offer

People talk poo poo about Red Bull but at least their car isn't black and silver like most cars on that grid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Sauber and Williams were my favourite simply because they weren't loving silver.

Sauber's blue and yellow ruled, but Williams have the Martini stripes which automatically make your car good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Indycar was shittalking the NFL over Superbowl 50 so I'm assuming they've decided to make this a thing until the 500. Can't wait for them to go at WWE over Wrestlemania 32.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Countries where fans would likely show up:
-Australia (Surfers?)
-Japan (Motegi? Suzuka?)
-Brazil? (eh...unsure about this one)

Brazil has Interlagos, and people would probably show up to see Montoya if nothing else.

quote:

Countries that don't have fans, but have cool venues:
-England (Brands Hatch? Rockingham? Silverstone?)
-Belgium (Spa? Zolder?)
-Spain (Jerez? Barcelona?)
-Italy (Monza? Mugello?)
-Germany (Eurospeedway Lausitz? Hockenheimring? Nurburgring?)
-France (Paul Ricard?)
-South Africa (Kylami?)

I'd like to see them at Snetterton in the UK personally, though Brands is more likely. I can see Monza being interested because Monza needs something. Would really like to see them go to Zolder as well.

quote:

Countries that none of the above
-insert middle eastern oil baron country here-

It's gonna be loving Bahrain isn't it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

not going to be surfers paradise; the v8s are racing there at the end of october while the article suggests that they're planning to race on the 9th. i doubt that it'll be a grand prix venue since that's something that bernie didn't like in the past (although that was when indycar actually kinda mattered globally when it doesn't now so who knows); if it is in Japan it'd most likely be on the Motegi road course since I don't think that they've bothered to fix the oval, and its a Honda track while the only other non-Suzuka option (Fuji) isn't. i doubt that it'd be brazil since i think that they'd have a street course there: they could race on one of the FIA certified tracks but that would leave them with Curitiba or Velo Citta which, if Stock Car Extreme is at all accurate, wouldn't be great with IndyCars.

Europe is unlikely that time of year; probably too cold and wet to get a decent crowd plus the European racing season would be over. If it was in Europe then it'd probably be in the south; Jerez might work, somewhere like Imola or Mugello would also be a possibility. But again that's incredibly unlikely; I don't see how they could possibly make money on anything never mind a non-championship race. I'd love to see Rockingham actually get used for what it was built for, but unfortunately I don't think that they'd be able to make money doing it unless IndyCar gave them a dramatically reduced sanctioning fee.

If its a permanent road track then I'd personally put my money on it being Losail in Qatar; its a middle east venue that doesn't have a big car racing. Perhaps a strike against it is that its basically a bike venue and could be too narrow for Indycars, but other than that it seems like the best option. Of course they could decide to announce a street race somewhere very odd and confuse everyone!

Curitiba is a solid shout, Mid Ohio is proof that Indy can run on twisty circuits so if you want an outside shot for Brazil maybe somewhere like Guapore or Floripa. Rockingham I would love to see but it's extremely unlikely. Losail also hosts WTCC so it should be able to host Indycar.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

good for rossi, he actually did pretty well in his few manor appearances last year.

Yeah, I'm kinda sad he didn't keep that seat because he might've been able to do some business now Manor have an actual good engine. Happy to see him still having a drive somewhere though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

I would normally hate Silver but this is ok. Probably because indycar teams use colours other than Silver, Red, and Dark Grey/Black.

Yeah, this livery in the current F1 field would be horrible. But in the Indycar field they'll likely be the only silver cars and they are therefore good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Big Max in the top 10 awww yeah.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

go3 posted:

please racing Jesus give me a Max Chilton win

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That was a giant wet fart of an ending to a pretty dull race.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Why does the series with 1/5th the budget of F1 always have better liveries?

Black paint is expensive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

This is a masterstroke by Andersen and Mazda, especially for all of those international series. Top-flight drivers in the junior formulas can face an unknown, stupidly-competitive, highly-political future in Europe, or they can give America a try knowing they have a chance to progress purely (or mostly) on merit.

I think you're overselling this, yes young European drivers could go to America but no young driver in Europe got into open wheel racing because they wanted to go to Indycar.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basticle posted:

Holy poo poo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Whoever did Rossi's strategy needs to be bought drinks for the entire year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hinch has good hair.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

More Iowa is more good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

And there goes my chance at a big points haul for fantasy.

I have taken Newgarden every round. I'm laughing. Though I've also taken Chilton every round.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is the ad better or worse than the Nascar Daytona Day ad from earlier this year?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

go3 posted:

theyre real sticklers about that 500 feet arent they

loving hell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dudley posted:

There is literally no chance of Red Bull picking up Grosjean. RBR has already replaced Kvyat with Verstappen and they're not going to put a guy who has been in F1 for half a decade into the junior team when they have an entire ladder of drivers for that seat.

There's also Haas effectively being Ferrari's second team, if Grosjean was going to go to another team from there it'd be them unless Williams or McLaren made a move. McLaren would be my bet if Williams do manage to poach Button.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They run a lot of cool tracks no-one's really heard of. It's a series worth getting into if you can.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Verizon Indycar Series: What's A Safe Release?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Helio is so god drat lucky his neck's still in one piece.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/keselowski/status/767779161607966720

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is gonna be a sweet finish.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Just watched the highlights a few minutes ago. For someone who doesn't know a damned thing about racing (or cars really) what causes the sparks to fly? It looks almost like some part of the car is actually hitting the track at times which surely doesn't happen.

That is actually exactly what's happening, the car scrapes the track, sparks fly. If you watch old F1 you'll see this all the time under braking as the back end drops and touches the track and you just get a mass of sparks. Modern F1 cars actually have a spark plate fitted specifically to cause this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I do like me some wind tunnel lines on racecars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Juan comes across as a bit of an rear end in the same way that PT does. They're very selfish, "me" oriented guys which can be a blessing in some ways and a curse in others

I was watching the F1 2001 season review a few days ago and it certainly makes him good with racecars. Dude was kicking Schumacher's rear end all over Indy until his engine exploded.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Indycar 2017: Of Course I'm Fine, I'm Russian

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

PT just owned Marco SO HARD

That was the best burn I've heard all year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd much rather see Simona carry on working in Formula E than move to Supercars, she was putting in some great performances last season and it seemed like Andretti were on the verge of having a reliable point scoring car by the end of it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Montoya to ECR surprises me, I thought for sure when Josef was replacing him at Penske that he was looking at a move to WEC to get that Le Mans win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS6Ii-2wKDc

Championship Celebration is streaming live on Youtube.

• Locked thread