Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm struggling to think of races where Indycars have ran in torrential rain and I can't think of any. NOLA was hardly torrential and we spent all of that race behind the pace car (mostly because the drivers were being loving stupid rather than it being too wet), we had that Toronto race and one of the Brazil races moved to the next day; and I can also remember the 2002 race in Surfers Paradise which was the best race ever and you all should watch it; it basically sums up the last few years of CART. Sure you had rain affected races but as soon as it got very bad they red flagged the thing or sent out the pace car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I think its more likely that USAC were just plain incompetent is much more likely than some conspiracy to deny the Japanese an Indy win. I also don't see why they'd want to piss off Firestone; that just seems like an incredibly stupid thing to do

There's what they did to Villeneuve earlier in the race, the odd penalty that they gave to Boesel a couple of years earlier that cost him any change of competing for the win that year (its never a good sign when the reason for a penalty changes during the race), plus the events at Indy and Texas in 97. USAC were making bonehead decisions throughout their last few years in charge of the Indy 500 and the IRL, including an even more bullshit penalty earlier in the same race. The Villeneuve one should be talked about more than it is: the penalised the guy two laps for "passing the pace car" in a yellow period that started out during a pit window so he didn't know he was leading, and neither did the pace car driver so he just waved him past the two times that he passed. Had Goodyear not passed the pace car (which honestly was his fault but all the restarts that year were loving ridiculous so I understand why he did what he did) people would moan about Villeneuve losing those two laps and he'd be the guy that should have won that year. Say what you want about Barnhart and he did plenty of dumb stupid things in his first time in race control, but he was somehow more competent than USAC were in their last years. He at least always told the pace car driver who the leader was, and they didn't end up randomly not scoring some cars when they made a pit stop...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

not going to be surfers paradise; the v8s are racing there at the end of october while the article suggests that they're planning to race on the 9th. i doubt that it'll be a grand prix venue since that's something that bernie didn't like in the past (although that was when indycar actually kinda mattered globally when it doesn't now so who knows); if it is in Japan it'd most likely be on the Motegi road course since I don't think that they've bothered to fix the oval, and its a Honda track while the only other non-Suzuka option (Fuji) isn't. i doubt that it'd be brazil since i think that they'd have a street course there: they could race on one of the FIA certified tracks but that would leave them with Curitiba or Velo Citta which, if Stock Car Extreme is at all accurate, wouldn't be great with IndyCars.

Europe is unlikely that time of year; probably too cold and wet to get a decent crowd plus the European racing season would be over. If it was in Europe then it'd probably be in the south; Jerez might work, somewhere like Imola or Mugello would also be a possibility. But again that's incredibly unlikely; I don't see how they could possibly make money on anything never mind a non-championship race. I'd love to see Rockingham actually get used for what it was built for, but unfortunately I don't think that they'd be able to make money doing it unless IndyCar gave them a dramatically reduced sanctioning fee.

If its a permanent road track then I'd personally put my money on it being Losail in Qatar; its a middle east venue that doesn't have a big car racing. Perhaps a strike against it is that its basically a bike venue and could be too narrow for Indycars, but other than that it seems like the best option. Of course they could decide to announce a street race somewhere very odd and confuse everyone!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Lazier was an alright driver who could be very good at Indy if he had a half-decent car, and managed to drag some awful dogs onto the grid. 96 was a ballsey drive regardless of the fact that his competition was weak, in 2000 he was pretty much the only person that got near Juan all race; and the last time he got a half-decent car at Indy (I'd like to say a third Panther car in 2005?) he got a top 5 finish running ahead of a few drivers that are seen as being much better than him - he was the car ahead of Seabass when he crashed at the end.

He certainly wasn't the worst driver of that period of the IRL; you had people like Marco Greco getting pole positions and high finishes...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I have a pretty good book on the split; the thing about Penske pushing for a unified Indy 500 was true, at least according to that.

My understanding is that Penske was getting pushed a lot by Philip Morris to go back to Indy; that's the main reason why he went back in 2001 and also why we went over full time in 2002 because Marlboro could only sponsor the team in one series and the Indy 500 meant more to them than the entire CART season.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Pretty nifty that.

One thing I took from that blackout article is that they seem to be saying that the attendance on Sunday will be near 350,000 which is really, really big even for the standards of Indy. If they get that, that's probably pretty close to what they got in the top years of the 500, although since there are no official attendance figures we can't really tell.

Dudley posted:

Local TV blackouts might be the single dumbest thing about America.

they aren't just an American thing; here the TV companies aren't allowed to show any 3pm Saturday football games live, the argument is that it boosts attendances at teams who play in the lower levels that don't get shown on TV but it probably doesn't do that.. This basically means that if your team is playing at the time, the choices are hoping that they are on the radio, watching final score or something similar which is basically people at the games telling you what is happening at the games you can't watch, or finding some stream from another country that are allowed to show the football game that you aren't allowed to watch. Its dumb

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

what a finish

best ever fuel milage race

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

yeah that wasn't really a wreck because of the track; you could get that sort of wreck at Pocono and no one can say that's not a track that Indycars should drive at. I don't even know whether a closed cockpit would have helped much with that - it certainly would not have hurt, but it might just be the forces that you get in a crash like that. I imagine that they'll investigate and work out whether anything did intrude or not.

Sounds like Newgarden might be alright though, thank christ.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

well it looks like they can't get out of the track; so they'll have to race!!!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Rahal just tweeted that they aren't racing today

e: going to be a formal announcement at 5 CT; which I think is 11pm UK time

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 12, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Race postponed until 27th August; according to random people on twitter. Apparently announced on track PA system

A good decision IMO

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The whole restarting on lap 72 thing I don't like; but other than that its really the only thing that they could have done - the weather for tomorrow seems dodgy and a bunch of guys really need to leave tomorrow evening for Le Mans. Its more sensible than perhaps running the thing on Tuesday morning which might have ended up being the most likely outcome.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Helicon One posted:

OK, so if the race restarts on Lap 72, after the Newgarden and Daly crash, do those two just not bother showing up for that weekend?

On the livestream of the press conference they said that they could come back; but that they'd be restarting 35 laps down

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

George Zimmer posted:

This makes no sense to me. Just run the full race, starting positions will be the positions they left off at.

Its something that they might yet change; but they'd probably have to get the agreement of the teams and they might prefer the postponement

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Calder would be... interesting in the Indycars, it was basically a scaled down Charlotte with similar banking - think it was 1.1 miles so not much longer than Milwaukee. Probably the closest thing in America would be Dover, and that really didn't work for the Indycars...

The first half of this video is AUSCAR at Calder, its odd to watch for a reason that quickly becomes apparent. The second half of the video is the NASCAR Australia series they had for a while and they drive the right way round for that one. An odd series really; it basically ran a tonne at Calder and then followed the V8s around for a few of their races and maybe also getting a support slot at the Australian Grand Prix or the Indycar race, there's video of them racing NASCAR cars at Bathurst and Surfers Paradise and they might have done Adelaide as well. Not exactly related to Indycars, but its an odd bit of racing history that I find kind of interesting

e: here you go, stock cars at Surfers. Its a bit odd to watch

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 1, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

wicka posted:

insane to think these sponsors have been around so long. marlboro/ferrari seems like it's been around forever, only 1996.

They did sponsor them in a more limited way before then though, certainly back to the mid 80s. Then again Marlboro had lots of fingers in many pies then, it wasn't until 1997 that they were exclusively with Ferrari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

iracing the DW12 at Daytona goes about as well as you'd expect - it's easy by yourself but it's just plate racing at 230mph which is impossible - at the shorter flatter tracks you get aeropush which breaks stuff up a bit.

I find Indy easy in iracing although that may well just be because it's one of the few things that I'm good at - both of my iracing wins happened there and I'm almost always up front. Requires consistency though, there are multiple lines and you can pass (the outside is slightly easier although difficult) but there's only one fast way round and it's subtly different for everyone - I run the white line, some people dip the inside wheels below it but I find that hurts your exit from the corner. Nothing like real life though - you don't have the close confines, the forces, the fear of crashing...

• Locked thread