Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Lightning Lord posted:

It's BX with Cannibal Corpse album cover art.rue meat is in the adventures.

What's BX in this context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ye Olde D&D

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Basic/Expert. It's a "slimming down" of the original BXCMI (Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters/Immortal) series of "Basic" D&D.

A lot of people feel that the game's scaling issues start to really manifest around level 15, which is where the Companion box set picks up. So B/X is a sort-of retroclone of Basic that tops out at level 15, which was covered by the Basic set (levels 1-3) and the Expert set (levels 4-14).

I don't think there's an "official" B/X download, so I don't know which parts of the later sets (like weapon mastery, domain management, or mass combat) are included.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Weapon mastery is honestly one of the coolest things that BECMI ever did and really deserved to be incorporated into AD&D 2e.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was actually just thinking that if I was to make a B/X retroclone-y thing, I'd bring back weapon mastery, simplify it, and make them and spells work on a 4e-ish grid so you get back all the cool tactical stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A dice pool system with a moving target number is a terrible idea, right?

For context: I'm homebrewing up my own dungeon crawlin' system for fun. I like dice pools, and I also like combining attack and damage rolls into a single roll. So, I was thinking of this: when you attack, you roll a pool of d6s. An attack does X damage per success (X varies based on the attack). The target number for determining a "success" is the target's Dodge rating. If you attack a target with Dodge 3, a 3-6 is a success; attack a target with Dodge 5, and only a 5 or 6 is a success.

My other idea would just be to have the Dodge rating be the number of successes needed to hit them, with a success always being a 4-6, and then having flat damage, but I like the idea of variable damage and I'm weirdly married to this "one roll per attack" thing. On the other hand, having a variable number of successes needed (rather than a variable target number for determining a success) would allow this to work for status ailment resistances, too--like, if you have Poison Resist 4, it takes at least 4 successes on a poison attack to inflict poison on you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Are you familiar with One Roll Engine?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Harrow posted:

A dice pool system with a moving target number is a terrible idea, right?

For context: I'm homebrewing up my own dungeon crawlin' system for fun. I like dice pools, and I also like combining attack and damage rolls into a single roll. So, I was thinking of this: when you attack, you roll a pool of d6s. An attack does X damage per success (X varies based on the attack). The target number for determining a "success" is the target's Dodge rating. If you attack a target with Dodge 3, a 3-6 is a success; attack a target with Dodge 5, and only a 5 or 6 is a success.

My other idea would just be to have the Dodge rating be the number of successes needed to hit them, with a success always being a 4-6, and then having flat damage, but I like the idea of variable damage and I'm weirdly married to this "one roll per attack" thing. On the other hand, having a variable number of successes needed (rather than a variable target number for determining a success) would allow this to work for status ailment resistances, too--like, if you have Poison Resist 4, it takes at least 4 successes on a poison attack to inflict poison on you.
Be sure you run the real numbers in anydice or something. Both changing the size and the TN of dice pools can do weird stuff to probability.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Are you familiar with One Roll Engine?

Only very vaguely. I'll look into it, though--just the summary on Wikipedia has me really intrigued.

dwarf74 posted:

Be sure you run the real numbers in anydice or something. Both changing the size and the TN of dice pools can do weird stuff to probability.

Yeah, I figured that it would wreak havoc on any understanding I have of dice probability. I'll play around with it in anydice and see what I come up with.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So long as you're consistent in only using one of those (variable success chance per die vs. variable threshold successes), your math should be relatively clean to work out. White Wolf's math only got weird in oWoD (famously flabbergasting Greg Stolze) because they decided to use both without rhyme or reason as to how to apply each.

In any case, let's consider average successes in the context of such dice pool mechanics. In general, those average successes will be A = P * D - T, given that each rolled die is presumably independent of the rest. P is the probability of a success on a given die, D is the number of dice in the pool, and T is the number of threshold successes necessary to "zero out". (Thus in your example of needing at least 4 successes for poison to penetrate resistance, T would be 3.) Thus, the former mechanic ("variable probability of success") is more useful if you want to vary degrees of success by fiddling around with the slope of the resultant line, while the latter mechanic is more useful if you're fine with a consistent slope and instead want to just push the line up and down. One's more consistent at getting results, while the other has (generally) more capacity to get potentially big results.

Honestly, it's not too dissimilar to the Mathhammer problem in Rogue Trader, if you've played that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

So long as you're consistent in only using one of those (variable success chance per die vs. variable threshold successes), your math should be relatively clean to work out. White Wolf's math only got weird in oWoD (famously flabbergasting Greg Stolze) because they decided to use both without rhyme or reason as to how to apply each.

In any case, let's consider average successes in the context of such dice pool mechanics. In general, those average successes will be A = P * D - T, given that each rolled die is presumably independent of the rest. P is the probability of a success on a given die, D is the number of dice in the pool, and T is the number of threshold successes necessary to "zero out". (Thus in your example of needing at least 4 successes for poison to penetrate resistance, T would be 3.) Thus, the former mechanic ("variable probability of success") is more useful if you want to vary degrees of success by fiddling around with the slope of the resultant line, while the latter mechanic is more useful if you're fine with a consistent slope and instead want to just push the line up and down. One's more consistent at getting results, while the other has (generally) more capacity to get potentially big results.

Honestly, it's not too dissimilar to the Mathhammer problem in Rogue Trader, if you've played that.

The bolded line is basically what I want to do, yes. I like the idea that you're not going to outright whiff all that often, but big successes are less common than smaller ones. (Darkest Dungeon is more than a little bit of an inspiration here. You don't outright miss constantly, but you're also not hitting for full damage that often either.)

I had one other idea that struck me as potentially more complicated on the player side of things, but which might still work: the TN is always 4, but every attack has two damage numbers. "Do X damage for every 4 or 5 you roll, and Y damage for every 6." It'd still be possible to vary the number of successes needed to overcome an enemy's resistance/dodge, too, though I think it starts to feel more punitive if that happens: "I rolled a 4 and a 6, but you're telling me it doesn't count because I needed at least three successes to damage him?" That kind of thing doesn't seem like it would be fun from a player side.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Mastermind posted:

Basic/Expert. It's a "slimming down" of the original BXCMI (Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters/Immortal) series of "Basic" D&D.

A lot of people feel that the game's scaling issues start to really manifest around level 15, which is where the Companion box set picks up. So B/X is a sort-of retroclone of Basic that tops out at level 15, which was covered by the Basic set (levels 1-3) and the Expert set (levels 4-14).

I don't think there's an "official" B/X download, so I don't know which parts of the later sets (like weapon mastery, domain management, or mass combat) are included.

B/X is the original Basic D&D, the boxed sets by Holmes and later Moldvay. They predate Mentzer BECMI D&D that Allston compiled into Rules Cyclopedia by a couple years.

It's also on dndclassics. All ten or eleven (5e is a lie!!!!!!!!) D&D editions are up now I'm pretty sure. http://www.dndclassics.com/product/110274/DD-Basic-Set-Rulebook-B-X-ed-Basic?src=hottest_filtered&filters=0_0_44699 if nothing else, Holmes' and then Moldvay's GM advice is some of the best, and fun reading.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 29, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Razzled posted:

Anyone familiar with Lamentations of the Flame Princess? we're starting a hybrid campaign in it + some homebrew rules and I was just wondering what the highlights of the system are. Any combat quirks to know about?

I've played most other systems.

Can't speak to the system of LotFP but I can speak to the supplements. Both of these are system agnostic.

Scenic Dunnsmouth is a brilliant book that procedurally generates a town and Innsmouth-like plot. With this book you can generate a backwater town in minutes or iterate off of it for your own plot purposes. Just fantastic.

Highly highly recommend more people buy this. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/127039/Scenic-Dunnsmouth

Qelong by Kenneth Hite describes a terrifying Southeast Asian inspired land that has been devastated by a mystical war. Incidentally shares a plot point with Scenic Dunnsmouth (both feature a discarded artifact of great power somewhere in the zone). I get the feeling some material was cut for the sake of book size, since it seems the Lotus Monks could have used two or more pages of development.

Still good. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/117257/Qelong

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

B/X is the original Basic D&D, the boxed sets by Holmes and later Moldvay. They predate Mentzer BECMI D&D that Allston compiled into Rules Cyclopedia by a couple years.

It's also on dndclassics. All ten or eleven (5e is a lie!!!!!!!!) D&D editions are up now I'm pretty sure. http://www.dndclassics.com/product/110274/DD-Basic-Set-Rulebook-B-X-ed-Basic?src=hottest_filtered&filters=0_0_44699 if nothing else, Holmes' and then Moldvay's GM advice is some of the best, and fun reading.

"Slimming down" probably wasn't the best way to put it, but yeah.

I actually started with the B/X set way the hell back in the day, but I don't remember ever going into the last three sets.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Modiphius have a kickstarter for another post apocalyptic expansion to the award winning Mutant: Year Zero.

Which they advertise as a "furry and feathered (r)evolution" but I digress....

quote:

"In a remote mountain valley, mutant animals dwell under the watchful eyes of the mysterious Watchers. Kept prisoners for generations by electric wire and drones in the sky, never knowing who's next to be dragged off to deadly experiments in dark laboratories, the animal mutants have had enough. The time for resistance is now. The fight for freedom has come..."

Mutant: Genlab Alpha is the first major expansion to Mutant: Year Zero, the award-winning pen&paper roleplaying game by Free League Publishing and Modiphius Entertainment. But Mutant: Genlab Alpha is no mere supplement - it stands on its own and can be played as a complete game in its own right.

quote:

Mutant: Genlab Alpha tells the story of the mutant animals, and introduces them into the dawnworld of Mutant: Year Zero. Some of the contents:

● New rules, PC roles, skills and powers for mutant animals. The expansion includes all the rules you need to play!
● A detailed description of Paradise Valley, the mountain valley where the animals are being held, including a beautiful full-color map.
● A description of the mysterious underground facility called the Labyrinth, where the Watchers dwell.
● The complete campaign Escape from Paradise, letting the characters lead the fight for freedom and uncover the mysteries of the Watchers.
● Unique strategic game mechanics for putting the players truly in charge of the Resistance, planning its operations.
● An overview of how the mutant animals can travel to the Zone if they manage to escape, and join the human mutants of Mutant: Year Zero.

They smashed through their kickstarter goal in less than one day and the Stretch goals are pretty cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/mutant-genlab-alpha/description

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has anyone played M:Y0? It looks kind of interesting.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The art at least doesn't have the Hic Sunt Dracones problem of being deep in the realms of furry fan-service, if not outright wank material.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played the game, only read through the rules a bit, but it's a sandbox post apocalyptic game. In the main game it follows the same narrative structure as this but you're survivors of an apocalypse and have just come out of your Fallout style Vault. You get random mutations and have to provide for your colony, which is always on the verge of collapse.

Genlab Alpha just seems to be the After the Bomb style book. There's a robot book too that was on Kickstarter not too long ago but it was in Swedish or some other Nordic language.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 30, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Posting this from the MTG thread because more people need to see this:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
What it's two dorks playing nerd po..:aaa:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
So a group of friends who have never played a game of elf before came to me and want to play dnd.
But I don't like the 5e mechanics and have never ran it before and I'm looking for something a little friendlier for newer players. I don't wanna overwhelm the dudes, you know?
What would you guys recommend for babies first elf game?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ominous Jazz posted:

So a group of friends who have never played a game of elf before came to me and want to play dnd.
But I don't like the 5e mechanics and have never ran it before and I'm looking for something a little friendlier for newer players. I don't wanna overwhelm the dudes, you know?
Practically anything other than D&D. But if they're dead set on D&D because of brand recognition, 4e is the likely choice for beginners. I hear Strike! and 13th Age are also good but I haven't even read the books for them let alone played so take that with a third-hand grain of salt.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Yawgmoth posted:

Practically anything other than D&D. But if they're dead set on D&D because of brand recognition, 4e is the likely choice for beginners. I hear Strike! and 13th Age are also good but I haven't even read the books for them let alone played so take that with a third-hand grain of salt.

I'm running 13th age right now and wanna try something new. I'll give strike! a look.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Ominous Jazz posted:

Dungeon World.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ominous Jazz posted:

D&D BX(Basic/Expert), BECMI(Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, Immortal), and Rules Cyclopedia editions are often recommended among the older editions, and BX & RC are both available cheap on Drivethrustuff

Might want to go look up the OSR thread for more info

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

drrockso20 posted:

D&D BX(Basic/Expert), BECMI(Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, Immortal), and Rules Cyclopedia editions are often recommended among the older editions, and BX & RC are both available cheap on Drivethrustuff

Might want to go look up the OSR thread for more info

Basic is an excellent suggestion. The game assumes you've never played/ran a D&D game before and walks you through it step by step, and is incredibly simple to run. Well, for D&D anyway.

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I'm gonna third the suggestion for Basic, with the caveat that you don't start with any official modules and just make your own adventure/dungeon beforehand.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

The greatest generation spins in it's collective grave.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Yawgmoth posted:

Cos-playing one of the colors your running, an amateur mistake.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ominous Jazz posted:

7e Gamma World. It's basically a slimmed down 4e and it takes a lot of the early choice paralysis out of playing elfgames. Also it takes elfs out and replaces them with robots and yetis. It's the best.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

theironjef posted:

7e Gamma World. It's basically a slimmed down 4e and it takes a lot of the early choice paralysis out of playing elfgames. Also it takes elfs out and replaces them with robots and yetis. It's the best.

Bonus points if you can get the expansions to further expand your options, also in a game I was going to run that never got off the ground, one of my friends was going to play as a living Christmas Tree, using one of those tree stands as a melee weapon and Christmas ornaments as a ranged weapon

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Bonus points if you can get the expansions to further expand your options, also in a game I was going to run that never got off the ground, one of my friends was going to play as a living Christmas Tree, using one of those tree stands as a melee weapon and Christmas ornaments as a ranged weapon

We made some characters for a podcast a while back and they came out as a brain in a hoverjar wearing a trucker hat that said "No fat brains" and a hole in reality from which rats eternally poured. When it had an alpha mutation it just changed the type of rats. So like the rubbery one turned the stream into toy rats for the encounter.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

theironjef posted:

We made some characters for a podcast a while back and they came out as a brain in a hoverjar wearing a trucker hat that said "No fat brains" and a hole in reality from which rats eternally poured. When it had an alpha mutation it just changed the type of rats. So like the rubbery one turned the stream into toy rats for the encounter.

I want to hear this podcast.

What was Trucker Brain's name?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

I want to hear this podcast.

What was Trucker Brain's name?

Saggitarion the Overmind

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think my favorite random result with that version of Gamma World was a Simian/Ratswarm that was just the actual proverbial barrel of monkeys and used the barrel as a weapon.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think my favorite random result with that version of Gamma World was a Simian/Ratswarm that was just the actual proverbial barrel of monkeys and used the barrel as a weapon.

I've also rolled the Reanimated Reanimator, which while it's just a zombie that can raise other zombies, basically comes complete with a free rolled superhero name.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gamma World 7e really was too good for this cruel world.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
My fav GW creation was a Swarm/Feline character rolled by my girlfriend that was a horde of adorable kittens.

Mittens McKittens carried a slingshot that it used to launch kittens at foes. :3

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Gamma World 7e really was too good for this cruel world.

To be fair Gamma World 7e was intended to be a limited line from the beginning, although it could have used more support in Dragon Magazine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

Don't run 4e unless you're willing to coach your players through advancement, don't run Dungeon World unless you're familiar with actually making its combat exciting, which is more difficult that it should be. Strike is a very solid hybrid of good 4e combat and good PbtA non-combat. 13th Age is more traditionally DnD, which may be what your players are looking for, and basically plays like a better, more well thought out 5e in my experience.

• Locked thread