Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So the bill text is here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4269/text

Basically this is California firearm laws nation wide and bans all forms of AR-15s, AK47s and most handguns (Glocks/USP/HK/1911/Rock Island) to name a few.

This rolled onto the floor in 12/16/2015 and is expected to be vetoed to poo poo by the republican congress.

Short list of Stuff that's being Banned.

“(H) All of the following rifles, copies, duplicates, variants, or altered facsimiles with the capability of any such weapon thereof:

“(i) All AK types, including the following:

“(I) AK, AK47, AK47S, AK–74, AKM, AKS, ARM, MAK90, MISR, NHM90, NHM91, Rock River Arms LAR–47, SA85, SA93, Vector Arms AK–47, VEPR, WASR–10, and WUM.

“(II) IZHMASH Saiga AK.

“(III) MAADI AK47 and ARM.

“(IV) Norinco 56S, 56S2, 84S, and 86S.

“(V) Poly Technologies AK47 and AKS.

“(ii) All AR types, including the following:

“(I) AR–10.

“(II) AR–15.

“(III) Armalite M15 22LR Carbine.

“(IV) Armalite M15–T.

“(V) Barrett REC7.

“(VI) Beretta AR–70.

“(VII) Bushmaster ACR.

“(VIII) Bushmaster Carbon 15.

“(IX) Bushmaster MOE series.

“(X) Bushmaster XM15.

“(XI) Colt Match Target Rifles.

“(XII) DoubleStar AR rifles.

“(XIII) DPMS Tactical Rifles.

“(XIV) Heckler & Koch MR556.

“(XV) Olympic Arms.

“(XVI) Remington R–15 rifles.

“(XVII) Rock River Arms LAR–15.

“(XVIII) Sig Sauer SIG516 rifles.

“(XIX) Smith & Wesson M&P15 Rifles.

“(XX) Stag Arms AR rifles.

“(XXI) Sturm, Ruger & Co. SR556 rifles.

“(iii) Barrett M107A1.

“(iv) Barrett M82A1.

“(v) Beretta CX4 Storm.

“(vi) Calico Liberty Series.

“(vii) CETME Sporter.

“(viii) Daewoo K–1, K–2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR 110C.

“(ix) Fabrique Nationale/FN Herstal FAL, LAR, 22 FNC, 308 Match, L1A1 Sporter, PS90, SCAR, and FS2000.

“(x) Feather Industries AT–9.

“(xi) Galil Model AR and Model ARM.

“(xii) Hi-Point Carbine.

“(xiii) HK–91, HK–93, HK–94, HK–PSG–1, and HK USC.

“(xiv) Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU–16, and RFB.

“(xv) SIG AMT, SIG PE–57, Sig Sauer SG 550, and Sig Sauer SG 551.

“(xvi) Springfield Armory SAR–48.

“(xvii) Steyr AUG.

“(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14 Tactical Rife M–14/20CF.

“(xix) All Thompson rifles, including the following:

“(I) Thompson M1SB.

“(II) Thompson T1100D.

“(III) Thompson T150D.

“(IV) Thompson T1B.

“(V) Thompson T1B100D.

“(VI) Thompson T1B50D.

“(VII) Thompson T1BSB.

“(VIII) Thompson T1–C.

“(IX) Thompson T1D.

“(X) Thompson T1SB.

“(XI) Thompson T5.

“(XII) Thompson T5100D.

“(XIII) Thompson TM1.

“(XIV) Thompson TM1C.

“(xx) UMAREX UZI Rifle.

“(xxi) UZI Mini Carbine, UZI Model A Carbine, and UZI Model B Carbine.

“(xxii) Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78.

“(xxiii) Vector Arms UZI Type.

“(xxiv) Weaver Arms Nighthawk.

“(xxv) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine.

“(I) All of the following pistols, copies, duplicates, variants, or altered facsimiles with the capability of any such weapon thereof:

“(i) All AK–47 types, including the following:

“(I) Centurion 39 AK pistol.

“(II) Draco AK–47 pistol.

“(III) HCR AK–47 pistol.

“(IV) IO Inc. Hellpup AK–47 pistol.

“(V) Krinkov pistol.

“(VI) Mini Draco AK–47 pistol.

“(VII) Yugo Krebs Krink pistol.

“(ii) All AR–15 types, including the following:

“(I) American Spirit AR–15 pistol.

“(II) Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol.

“(III) DoubleStar Corporation AR pistol.

“(IV) DPMS AR–15 pistol.

“(V) Olympic Arms AR–15 pistol.

“(VI) Rock River Arms LAR 15 pistol.

“(iii) Calico Liberty pistols.

“(iv) DSA SA58 PKP FAL pistol.

“(v) Encom MP–9 and MP–45.

“(vi) Heckler & Koch model SP–89 pistol.

“(vii) Intratec AB–10, TEC–22 Scorpion, TEC–9, and TEC–DC9.

“(viii) Kel-Tec PLR 16 pistol.

“(ix) The following MAC types:

“(I) MAC–10.

“(II) MAC–11.

“(III) Masterpiece Arms MPA A930 Mini Pistol, MPA460 Pistol, MPA Tactical Pistol, and MPA Mini Tactical Pistol.

“(IV) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M–11.

“(V) Velocity Arms VMAC.

“(x) Sig Sauer P556 pistol.

“(xi) Sites Spectre.

“(xii) All Thompson types, including the following:

“(I) Thompson TA510D.

“(II) Thompson TA5.

“(xiii) All UZI types, including Micro-UZI.

“(J) All of the following shotguns, copies, duplicates, variants, or altered facsimiles with the capability of any such weapon thereof:

“(i) Franchi LAW–12 and SPAS 12.

“(ii) All IZHMASH Saiga 12 types, including the following:

“(I) IZHMASH Saiga 12.

“(II) IZHMASH Saiga 12S.

“(III) IZHMASH Saiga 12S EXP–01.

“(IV) IZHMASH Saiga 12K.

“(V) IZHMASH Saiga 12K–030.

“(VI) IZHMASH Saiga 12K–040 Taktika.

“(iii) Streetsweeper.

“(iv) Striker 12.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Good, I'm glad Obama made all guns illegal.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
DND not rss etc

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm glad they're banning assault cars.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
just repeal the second amendment already

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dreylad posted:

just repeal the second amendment already

Tsarbomba is basically trying to at this point.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
My declaration from earlier today:

quote:

These gun owners are weaklings and cowards all of them. If we truly cared as a nation about prizing virtue, vitality, and aesthetic, we would ban those childish toys and enshrine the right to open-carry sword's. The fools who feel they can step against my katana will be cut down in the ring of providence when they dare to assert their honor over mine.

As for those concerned with the Hunt: I can end a moose in a single swipe.
Gunhavers, these arguments are tired. Let us not waste time with them. Instead, if you wish to keep your firearms, face me like a warrior. Pit your steel against mine, and we will settle this once and for all.

I am waiting.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So in all seriousness why the heck are they banning a bunch of handguns? I mean just for starters, Glocks? Aren't they extremely common? I can understand assault rifles being banned because holy loving lol what the gently caress do you need one of them for, but drat.

Is it because of that tired old racist stereotype of black men urban thugs wielding a Glock? I mean, I can't think of any reason off hand why you'd target them for a ban.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 9, 2016

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I'm Obama, by the way.

*remains seated serenely beneath raging waterfall, smiling mysteriously from anticipation of the sensation one gets when cold metal cleaves a foolhardy neophyte in twain*

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Stupid as gently caress.

Remember when the founding fathers wrote the 2nd amendment the average privately owned gun was better in a number of ways than what the US Army issued as standard. Now the AR-15 is worse than what the US Army uses standard but I can't own it?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Congress can't issue vetoes, OP.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I hope they close the dog show loophole.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

won't somebody speak up for the defenseless guns

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Archonex posted:

So in all seriousness why the heck are they banning a bunch of handguns? I mean just for starters, Glocks? Aren't they extremely common? I can understand assault rifles being banned because holy loving lol what the gently caress do you need one of them for, but drat.

Is it because of that tired old racist stereotype of black men urban thugs wielding a Glock? I mean, I can't think of any reason off hand why you'd target them for a ban.

Because it's not meant to actually do anything useful, or even pass. This is pure 'I TRIED TO DO SOMETHING BUT THOSE EVIL REPUBLICANS WOULDN'T LET ME' posturing. The author, Rep. Cicilline of Rhode Island, is up for re-election this year so he wants to be able to point at something for campaign purposes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for handing the election to the Republicans :)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
This bill not happen if Republicans have guns.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Stupid as gently caress.

Remember when the founding fathers wrote the 2nd amendment the average privately owned gun was better in a number of ways than what the US Army issued as standard. Now the AR-15 is worse than what the US Army uses standard but I can't own it?

We also had a well regulated militia and little in the way of a standing army, so having everyone show up with their guns to do some light training once a month made sense.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Chard posted:

won't somebody speak up for the defenseless guns

There's some common sense stuff in there. Like, what the gently caress do you need a drum fed "semi automatic" (Read: Technically is but is modded to not be at all.) shotgun that can fire off 16-17+ rounds in rapid succession for?

Unless you happen to moonlight as Scarface that's just loving ridiculous. But hahahaha what the gently caress. Glocks? USPs? They're so common that even many police departments issue them to their officers nowadays. Guess we better disarm the police.

quote:

The author, Rep. Cicilline of Rhode Island, is up for re-election this year so he wants to be able to point at something for campaign purposes.

Ah, well, that makes sense then.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 9, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
List of crimes committed with drum-fed semi-automatic shotguns in the US recently:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Let's sing a hymn in this time of desperation for gun's everywhere...

quote:

Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun
With a Thompson gun for hire, fighting to be done
The deal was made in Denmark on a dark and stormy day
So he set out for Biafra to join the bloody fray

Through sixty-six and seven they fought the Congo war
With their fingers on their triggers, knee-deep in gore
For days and nights they battled the Bantu to their knees
They killed to earn their living and to help out the Congolese

Roland the Thompson gunner...

His comrades fought beside him - Van Owen and the rest
But of all the Thompson gunners, Roland was the best
So the CIA decided they wanted Roland dead
That son-of-a-bitch Van Owen blew off Roland's head

Roland the headless Thompson gunner
Norway's bravest son
Time, time, time
For another peaceful war
But time stands still for Roland
'Til he evens up the score
They can still see his headless body stalking through the night
In the muzzle flash of Roland's Thompson gun
In the muzzle flash of Roland's Thompson gun

Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
He found him in Mombassa in a barroom drinking gin
Roland aimed his Thompson gun - he didn't say a word
But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg

Roland the headless Thompson gunner...
The eternal Thompson gunner
still wandering through the night
Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I hope a bunch of old white conservatards have an actual stroke when the bill is read out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Archonex posted:

There's some common sense stuff in there. Like, what the gently caress do you need a drum fed "semi automatic" (Read: Technically is but is modded to not be at all.) shotgun that can fire off 16-17+ rounds in rapid succession for?

Unless you happen to moonlight as Scarface that's just loving ridiculous. But hahahaha what the gently caress. Glocks? USPs? They're so common that even many police departments issue them to their officers nowadays. Guess we better disarm the police.

gently caress off with this poo poo. 'Modding' a semi-automatic weapon to be automatic is already a felony. Making it double-plus illegal doesn't do anything useful.

Further, no one has any need to justify what they do with their legally owned property to you. If they want to grease it up and jam it up their rear end, or just use it to spend money very quickly while generating a lot of noise, that's their call.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

-Troika- posted:

List of crimes committed with drum-fed semi-automatic shotguns in the US recently:

Gee wiz. God forbid we engage in preventative legislation to avoid mass shootings.

I mean, it's not like that isn't what many gun control advocates had been making GBS threads up every thread with before this "i'm too edgy to care" poo poo edged its way in, right?

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. 'Modding' a semi-automatic weapon to be automatic is already a felony. Making it double-plus illegal doesn't do anything useful.

Further, no one has any need to justify what they do with their legally owned property to you. If they want to grease it up and jam it up their rear end, or just use it to spend money very quickly while generating a lot of noise, that's their call.

Actually it's not illegal to mod out a rifle so that it can fire at a rate that's pretty much automatic provided you keep to certain lower calibers and are really careful to stay within the bounds of the law. I have a gun nut neighbor who demonstrated that point very thoroughly when the police were wondering why he was carrying around a AR-15 knockoff to hunt. Then he went down to the target range to practically bisect a target in celebration afterwards.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 9, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This bill is so incompetently written, it actually literally bans all guns and thus is unenforceable under the 2nd :laugh:

Archonex posted:

Gee wiz. God forbid we engage in preventative legislation to avoid mass shootings.

I mean, it's not like that isn't what many gun control advocates had been making GBS threads up every thread with before this "i'm too edgy to care" poo poo edged its way in, right?

List of mass shootings committed with drum-fed semi-automatic shotguns:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Archonex posted:

A heretic! Sing the hymns louder! Louder, dammit!!

quote:

I can't remember anything
Can't tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel to scream
This terrible silence stops me

Now that the war is through with me
I'm waking up, I cannot see
That there is not much left of me
Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please, God, wake me

Back to the world that's much too real
In pumps life that I must feel
But can't look forward to reveal
Look to the time when I'll live

Fed through the tube that sticks in me
Just like a wartime novelty
Tied to machines that make me be
Cut this life off from me

Oh please, God, wake me

Now the world is gone, I'm just one
Oh God, help me
Oh please, God, help me

Darkness imprisoning me
All that I see
Absolute horror
I cannot live
I cannot die
Trapped in myself
Body my holding cell

Landmine has taken my sight
Taken my speech
Taken my hearing
Taken my arms
Taken my legs
Taken my soul
Left me with life in hell

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

This is signaling 101. It's a loving house Bill for godssake. Safe Dems get to tally one for "tough on gun control", Republicians get to prevent those wily democrats from taking OUR GUNZ, and Dems in purple states get to vote no and tell the voters "I'm not like those other guys, I promise baby". Everyone goes home happy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Archonex posted:

Actually it's not, provided you keep to certain lower calibers and are really careful. I have a neighbor who demonstrated that point very thoroughly. Then he went down to the target range to practically bisect a target in celebration afterwards.

Then your neighbor's due for a visit by the BATFE, unless he's a properly licensed manufacturer of NFA-controlled firearms, or is using a registered firearm in the first place. This is one of the few things the BATFE actually does enforce properly and gently caress people on, and caliber does not matter in the slightest to their definition of machine gun.

Or, more likely, you're just full of poo poo.

Edit for the relevant legal code :

ATF NFA Handbook posted:

Section 7.5 Manufacturing machineguns. Section 922(o), Title 18, U.S.C., makes it unlawful to
possess or transfer a machinegun, except for transfers to or possession by Federal and State agencies or
the transfer or possession of a machinegun lawfully possessed before the effective date of the statute,
May 19, 1986. So, machineguns “lawfully possessed” before the effective date are those manufactured
before May 19, 1986 and registered in the NFRTR. See also Section 7.6 on the manufacture of
machineguns by contractors of FFLs/SOTs.

7.5.1 Manufacture of machineguns for sale to government agencies or as “sales samples”.
Notwithstanding the prohibition in Section 922(o), qualified manufacturers may manufacture
machineguns on or after May 19, 1986 for sale to Federal and State agencies or to FFLs/SOTs as “sales
samples” for demonstration to prospective governmental customers.125 The weapons may be
manufactured and stockpiled in contemplation of future sales, but their registration and subsequent
transfer are conditioned upon and restricted to sales only to government agencies or as sales samples.
See Chapter 9 for a discussion of the required documentation supporting these sales. See also Section
7.6.1 on the manufacture of machineguns by contractors of FFLs/SOTs.

Document can be found here : https://www.atf.gov/file/58221/

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 9, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
*hisses at the mention of the Illuminati, servants of Satan, rulers of this world, the BATFE*

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dude, seriously, take like even one second to google things like bump triggers before you make yourself look dumb.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
This bill wouldn't have happened if congress had a gun.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I say we tar and feather these bastards who think they can post here without memorizing the catechism.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Effectronica posted:

I say we tar and feather these bastards who think they can post here without memorizing the catechism.

FTFY

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

-Troika- posted:

Dude, seriously, take like even one second to google things like bump triggers before you make yourself look dumb.

A 'bump stock' does not make a weapon automatic. Those versions of it that did have resulted in being classed as machine guns by the ATF and thus landed the owners in hot water. Most famous one being a shoestring tied to the charging handle of a rifle, then threaded around the trigger guard so as to pull the trigger again when the rifle returned to battery after firing.

You can google the Akins Accelerator for an example of what it looks like when this happens to a commercial product.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 9, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Gentlemen, gentlemen... keep the theological debates in TFR.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Then your neighbor's due for a visit by the BATFE, unless he's a properly licensed manufacturer of NFA-controlled firearms, or is using a registered firearm in the first place. This is one of the few things the BATFE actually does enforce properly and gently caress people on, and caliber does not matter in the slightest to their definition of machine gun.

Or, more likely, you're just full of poo poo.

It's perfectly legal. It's called a bump fire rifle stock and since it's not a trigger manipulation device or adjustable stock it's technically legal under the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DTjSla-O8

Good example of one being used automatically. Look at that poo poo and say it's not automatic. They've been sold in the US for awhile now and the ATF hasn't done poo poo about it.

Edit: poo poo. If you don't believe me then here's an approval notice from the ATF.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 9, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Archonex posted:

It's perfectly legal. It's called a bump fire rifle stock and since it's not a trigger manipulation device it's technically legal under the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DTjSla-O8

Good example of one being used automatically. Look at that poo poo and say it's not automatic. They've been sold in the US for awhile now and the ATF hasn't done poo poo about it.

Gun is firing one shot per trigger pull, so no matter what your feelings on the matter are, it's not an automatic weapon. No more than slam-firing a pump shotgun makes it an automatic weapon.

That said, I would consider it a matter of time until the ATF gets around to changing their minds on the matter, and wouldn't want to own one myself.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Gun is firing one shot per trigger pull, so no matter what your feelings on the matter are, it's not an automatic weapon. No more than slam-firing a pump shotgun makes it an automatic weapon.

That said, I would consider it a matter of time until the ATF gets around to changing their minds on the matter, and wouldn't want to own one myself.

Yeah. They have the rate of fire but it's one shot per pull so it gets off on a technicality. One way or another it can't last forever though.

That being said, unless they've been really damned quiet about it that guy who claims that the ATF banned them is full of poo poo or just doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about. It's still a subject of some debate where they should fall in terms of legality and they're what fueled the shrieking back and forth from people about gun control around where I live recently.

What Troika's probably thinking about (And did actually mention to try and bullshit his way through claiming that they were banned now that I reread his post.) is the Akins Accelerator. Which the ATF did come down on like a sack of bricks in 2006 after it turned out that the creator was stupid enough to submit a differently working version of the bump fire add-on for ATF approval than the one they intended to sell. They really weren't happy when they figured out that the version they approved for usage wasn't the version that was being sold on the general market.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 9, 2016

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Sinnlos posted:

We also had a well regulated militia and little in the way of a standing army, so having everyone show up with their guns to do some light training once a month made sense.
Some would say that model is better and we should try to turn our heading back towards that style of national security instead of the leviathan we currently use that has run awry in all sorts of ways.

-Troika- posted:

The Aurora Movie Theater shooter used a 100rd AR-15 magazine. It jammed 7 rounds in because high-capacity magazines are not reliable. Now Colorado has a 15-round maximum capacity law, thereby making sure the future would-be, depressed, mentally unstable, trenchcoat wearing, scheming in his apartment, but little-actual-gun-experience-or-knowledge-shooter's AR-15 will not jam.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Some would say that model is better and we should try to turn our heading back towards that style of national security instead of the leviathan we currently use that has run awry in all sorts of ways.

The Aurora Movie Theater shooter used a 100rd AR-15 magazine. It jammed 7 rounds in because high-capacity magazines are not reliable. Now Colorado has a 15-round maximum capacity law, thereby making sure the future would-be, depressed, mentally unstable, trenchcoat wearing, scheming in his apartment, but little-actual-gun-experience-or-knowledge-shooter's AR-15 will not jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Why are these good people engaging in theological minutiae here, instead of in the proper forum of TFR?

• Locked thread