Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Who What Now posted:

Unlike Effectronica, gun nuts, and whoever the rear end in a top hat who's always not so subtly suggesting gun owners should use their guns to off themselves, I don't wish death upon other posters. I do think that you, specifically, Pauline, are probably a danger to the people around you and should seek help, though.

Coming from the guy who is so terrified of his own behavior because he might snap and kill everyone in his house if he kept his rifle there, I'm oddly comforted by your suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Let's be clear here. The regular statements of TFR geeks that all people who are pro-control are ignorant and afraid and need to be reeducated makes it clear that there can be no compromise and no coexistence. You will continue to try to convert the entire nation, and will not accept anyone who will not submit to your cult. That is why guns are and remain a problem for the collective sanity and health of this country.
Ummm actually there are tons of gun laws that gun owners support. You can find us presenting them a few pages back. Remember the 2nd amendment is heavily regulated already and millions of Americans and barred from owning guns.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That is one hell of a meltdown from Who What Now over the past couple of pages.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Who What Now posted:

Half a dozen people jumped down my throat for not keeping my guns in my house. But yeah, you guys totally don't care.

But a secured firearm is a risk. Precisely because of other people and the chance for human errors. You seem to only believe that active malevolent intentions can result in a gun death. That's dumb as poo poo and ignores the countless accidental gun deaths that happen every single year.

i wonder what it's like to live an entire life dictated by statistical probability

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SealHammer posted:

i wonder what it's like to live an entire life dictated by statistical probability

I save a lot of money by not gambling.

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I save a lot of money by not gambling.

I hope you can understand the crushing irony of using "statistics" to justify your neurotic behavior around guns but then not batting an eye about driving to work, or having a drink at home. Self awareness does not seem to be your strong suit.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Fool and the World posted:

I hope you can understand the crushing irony of using "statistics" to justify your neurotic behavior around guns but then not batting an eye about driving to work, or having a drink at home. Self awareness does not seem to be your strong suit.

It's a utility game. By driving I can move from place to place. By drinking I can seem like a normal human being in my twenties (sort of). By owning a gun I could cosplay Harry turtledove. I'll pass.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ogmius815 posted:

It's a utility game. By driving I can move from place to place. By drinking I can seem like a normal human being in my twenties (sort of). By owning a gun I could cosplay Harry turtledove. I'll pass.
By owning a gun I can turn money into noise in a highly entertaining and statistically very safe manner. Afterwards I can laugh about it and engage in the fine art of social intercourse with my friends and coworkers who also enjoy making fruit explode.

I guess also resist tyranny or RAHOWA or whatever.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

By driving I can.....Be an accomplice to the deaths of thousands and further the decline of the planet.
By drinking I......Am complicit in the suffering and ruinination of countless lives, not to mention the death and economic damage wrought by my hobby.

I love how your convenience and hobbies are more valuable than human lives.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fool and the World posted:

I have weighed the costs of those against their benefits and the benefits came out on top. There's literally no benefit to keeping guns in the house to offset the risk, so I don't. Simple.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

LeJackal posted:

I love how your convenience and hobbies are more valuable than human lives.

If we can save just one life, it is worth it. Please support the ban of non-professional driving. We aren't coming to take your cars but if you turn them in we will give you $50 for each. If you don't then we will have the police drag you out into the street and execute you for non-compliance.

Also, don't forget about your car note. You still have to pay that off.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 25, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I 100% support making driving illegal if there are adequate public transportation methods for everyone. So if that's the case then yeah, I'll take that deal in a heartbeat.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I get the feeling that many in D&D would also support strict regulation of downhill skiing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Butch Cassidy posted:

I get the feeling that many in D&D would also support strict regulation of every single goddamn thing in life.
Fixed that for you.

I like to think they're just the logical outcome of the participation trophy generation. Nobody's ever trusted them to hold anything they could hurt themselves with or do anything where they might learn how to handle themselves, so we get this.

Honestly, if you've never done anything in your life where you could maim or kill yourself or others, I could see where you develop a case of hoplophobia. Of course, we disagree completely on the correct course of action for dealing with that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Now tell us about how bread used to cost a nickel and you had to walk to school uphill both ways.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I was the youngest child and spoiled rotten by parents who crushed me with safety concerns to the point they still get mad if they don't know where I am at any given time.

My kids play in the street with other neighborhood children unsupervised. I also provide skateboards for use by anyone in the neighborhood with no helmet requirements for anyone but my own children and the one boy whose grandfather also mandates a bucket. Self-supervised. They got the car watch lectures and there is hell to pay on the rare occasion I check in and feel they are getting lax.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Who What Now posted:

Now tell us about how bread used to cost a nickel and you had to walk to school uphill both ways.
Haha, old people, amirite?

Anywhoo, what with record numbers of guns being sold, lets talk about some other ways we can get rid of this scourge with a 100% statistical likelihood of killing your loved ones, since the NRA clearly has such a death grip on everyone from the local dog catcher to the president. Maybe amending the constitution to get rid of the second amendment? Discuss amongst yourselves.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Getting rid of the second amendment is something I fully support, yes. Tenth too, because I see no reason to have 50 sets of oft-times contradictory laws.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I hyperventilate every time I hear somebody use a gendered pronoun I hate to think what I might do if I had a gun

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Who What Now posted:

I have weighed the costs of those against their benefits and the benefits came out on top. There's literally no benefit to keeping guns in the house to offset the risk, so I don't. Simple.

You don't understand the very important social function played by tough guy dress up time.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

stealie72 posted:

Fixed that for you.

I like to think they're just the logical outcome of the participation trophy generation. Nobody's ever trusted them to hold anything they could hurt themselves with or do anything where they might learn how to handle themselves, so we get this.

Honestly, if you've never done anything in your life where you could maim or kill yourself or others, I could see where you develop a case of hoplophobia. Of course, we disagree completely on the correct course of action for dealing with that.

Not the participation trophy generation! I am clutching my pearls as we speak!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Ogmius815 posted:

You don't understand the very important social function played by tough guy dress up time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

So, stealie, tell me about the times growing up where you and the neighborhood kids would wile away the hours playing Russian Roulette with only one chamber unloaded. Since, you know, ever considering safety for a single reason is for pussies and all. A big manly man like you probably drives on the wrong side of the freeway while blind drunk all the time, too, right?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Who What Now posted:

Since, you know, ever considering safety for a single reason is for pussies and all.
I really have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about here beyond projecting some weird fantasy/nightmare about dying by a gun.

Safety is issue #1 for any non-jackhole, and we have the four rules drilled into our heads. I mean, you seem to take it to an extreme by storing your supposed guns outside of your home, which is cool if that's what works for you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How is not keeping my guns in my home "extreme", exactly?

EDIT

lol at "supposed" guns. You literally can't conceive of a someone owning guns who isn't exactly like you? That's kinda hosed up.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Who What Now posted:

How is not keeping my guns in my home "extreme", exactly?
Not so much your not keeping them there, as your certainty that someone will get hurt if you do. There's lots of people living places where they can't keep their guns that store them somewhere else. But like several have said, if that's what floats your boat and makes you feel safe, cool. You're just in the extreme minority of gun owners if that's what you do.

Who What Now posted:

lol at "supposed" guns. You literally can't conceive of a someone owning guns who isn't exactly like you? That's kinda hosed up.
Nah, most gun owners aren't like me. I just have a hard time conceiving that one of the loudest voices in an anti-gun discussion is a gun owner.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I gave a gun to a Jehovah's Witness, once. Without a background check. Pretty sure she just leans it in a corner rather than get a safe. Diiferent strokes for different folks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

-Troika- posted:

That is one hell of a meltdown from Who What Now over the past couple of pages.

That's how you see it huh? I saw multiple pages of utter bullshit and weirdly personal insults, mainly from Pauline Kael who is now banned for being weirdly personally insulting in another thread. Basically what a shower of bastards.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

stealie72 posted:

Not so much your not keeping them there, as your certainty that someone will get hurt if you do.

I'm not certain that it will happen, just that it could happen. I could be sloppy and forget to unload my gun after shooting, put it on the table with the safety off while I take a quick piss, and have it fall off the table and go off (they're pretty old guns, so not impossible). I could improperly lock my safe, leaving it open to anyone getting to my guns. My depression could worsen again and suddenly having immediate access to guns is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a two hour drive to the storage locker. I can think of a lot of scenarios where keeping the guns in the house leads to a bad outcome for me or my family either through accident or human error. I can't think of any unique problem to storing them elsewhere. But somehow this is "extreme" and unreasonable.

quote:

Nah, most gun owners aren't like me. I just have a hard time conceiving that one of the loudest voices in an anti-gun discussion is a gun owner.

I own guns, a Remington .22lr and a single-shot .410 shotgun, but I don't define myself as a Gun Owner. I take them out to shoot once a month at most, maybe every other month, clean them, and immediately put them back and go home. They have some sentimental value because I inherited them, and I enjoy shooting them and all guns in general, but that's it's. I can live without them and will gladly do so if it leads to a reduction in deaths.

Guns aren't some magical thing where if you shoot one all of a sudden they become the most important thing in your life. Guns aren't a cult, and it's really loving weird how people like you think it must be. You literally can't conceive of someone not loving guns who doesn't have one. It's sad, really.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 25, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

There are plenty of people around who own a gun they rarely/never shoot and don't believe in armed self defense, assault weapons, plastic people killin' pistols, or whetever. It's perfectly fine with me. They are just welcome to leave me alone the same as I do them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I only support gun-control in theory. In reality the discussion is done and over with, and guns won hands down. No amount of mass shootings will ever get meaningful gun laws passed in this country and I don't want politicians to waste time pursuing it when they could be trying but to pass legislation that actually has a chance. So take heart, I'm not coming for your guns.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I only support gun-control in theory. In reality the discussion is done and over with, and guns won hands down. No amount of mass shootings will ever get meaningful gun laws passed in this country and I don't want politicians to waste time pursuing it when they could be trying but to pass legislation that actually has a chance. So take heart, I'm not coming for your guns.
Yes, you got that right. It's a waste of time to try and enact weapons bans. Firstly because someone's misuse of their rights is never a good reason to restrict everyone's rights and secondly because every time a politician talks about gun control, people buy more guns.

Now let's talk about real things we can do to stop mass shootings in America. We could talk about why some states have murder and violent crime rates similar to Scandinavia and western Europe while other states have rates paralleling war zones and the socioeconomic and legal reasons behind those stats instead of treating the USA as if it were a small, European country that you can drive across in an afternoon.

We could talk about how every mass shooter in the past 10 years were suffering from mental health issues and were medicated.

We could talk about how every mass shooter is paraded all over TV and they become famous for their acts.

We could talk about how our schools treat victims the same as their bullies in altercations at school. Punishing kids for defending themselves and making them feel helpless and mad at their school administrators.

We could talk about inner city gangs and institutional racism.

Lots of things to spend our resources and efforts on that would be far more productive than talking about guns, as we just agreed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NathanScottPhillips posted:

We could talk about how every mass shooter in the past 10 years were suffering from mental health issues and were medicated.

*gasp* Medical treatment?! Horror of horrors anything but that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mental health issues, well, that's kind of true by definition, but I think any number of them were never diagnosed or medicated, Loughner for example.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Who What Now posted:

*gasp* Medical treatment?! Horror of horrors anything but that.
Medical treatment and medication are different. Doctors in America are heavily financially incentivized to prescribe drugs and this leads to doctors prescribing drugs when they may not be needed or alternate treatments can be given. Drugs are also being administered more and more for off-label uses. Lots of these drugs are doing all sorts of things to pleasure centers, emotion centers, and apathy centers of the brain that aren't understood well.

SedanChair posted:

Mental health issues, well, that's kind of true by definition, but I think any number of them were never diagnosed or medicated, Loughner for example.
Loughner is a perfect example of what I'm talking about because he had 5 interactions with police while in community college that lead to his suspension and the staff and people around him said they feared for their safety and required him to get a mental health evaluation before starting school again and specifically cited fears of him perpetrating a shooting. There was no clear pathway for him to get help at this point, and any help that he could have gotten would have been paid for by him or his family. There was also no mechanism to force him to get help even with all the red flags that were thrown.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Medical treatment and medication are different. Doctors in America are heavily financially incentivized to prescribe drugs and this leads to doctors prescribing drugs when they may not be needed or alternate treatments can be given. Drugs are also being administered more and more for off-label uses. Lots of these drugs are doing all sorts of things to pleasure centers, emotion centers, and apathy centers of the brain that aren't understood well.

If you say that they aren't well understood then why do you feel confident enough to blame mass shootings on them? So either we do have enough data to make a claim of a causal link, in which case I'd like to see this data for myself and we need to discuss why you believe doctors care more about getting a few hundred bucks extra a year is worth endangering people's lives, or there isn't enough data to make that claim in which case you're talking out of your rear end. The former is conspiracy thinking, the latter is bullshit.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Who What Now posted:

If you say that they aren't well understood then why do you feel confident enough to blame mass shootings on them? So either we do have enough data to make a claim of a causal link, in which case I'd like to see this data for myself and we need to discuss why you believe doctors care more about getting a few hundred bucks extra a year is worth endangering people's lives, or there isn't enough data to make that claim in which case you're talking out of your rear end. The former is conspiracy thinking, the latter is bullshit.
It's rich that you're asking me for more info, as you give one sentence responses to everything thrown at you. You ignored 90% of my post for instance and threw out a one-line contradiction like you're god just now, actually. I'm still waiting for your explanation of why the 2nd amendment doesn't fit in today's world but I doubt you'll ever expand on that opinion.

I never blamed shootings on prescription drugs, in fact I brought the topic up in an effort to learn more about it. What we do know is that every mass shooting (except Giffords' shooting and Bernardino maybe a few others) has been perpetrated by someone diagnosed with mental issues who is taking or was taking medication for their mental health issues. That's far more correlation that you need to ban guns when it comes to accidents in the house going by your posts so I'm not sure why you have trouble with me bringing it up.

I target mental health because we know that 100% of people who commit mass murder have some sort of mental problem whether generally like SedarChair alludes to, or proven health problems that they are medicated for, or in other cases recently stopped taking their meds. Obama's recent Executive Action attempts to help this issue by allowing doctors to breach HIPAA privacy to report gun owners they think are a danger to others. That's a meaningful change that will lead to a reduction in gun deaths.

We know that cash incentives can lead to unethical behavior throughout all walks of life, so expecting doctors to be immune is silly.

This study finds that doctor incentives leads to patients getting more treatments and paying more money than otherwise, and certain types of operations are now performed more often than in the past:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4144420/

This article shows how incentives drive up health care costs and leads to doctors' not explaining the patient's options fully in order to make the most profitable option seem like the patients only option:
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/economic-intelligence/2013/08/22/how-financial-incentives-for-doctors-drive-up-health-care-costs

This story is about a pharmacist who sold counterfeit drugs going to prison and two doctors who knowingly bought them also going to jail.
https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2013/october/internet-pharmacy-operator-gets-jail-time

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Doctors in America are heavily financially incentivized to prescribe drugs

Still one of the biggest bullshit lies ever pushed. Been a practicing physician for over a decade; still waiting on my big pharma shill bucks. :rant: Hell, we don't even get lovely pens and post-it notes anymore.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Still one of the biggest bullshit lies ever pushed. Been a practicing physician for over a decade; still waiting on my big pharma shill bucks. :rant: Hell, we don't even get lovely pens and post-it notes anymore.

But this one doctor has a big collage of pens and stuff. How do explain that huh? With your fancy degree you piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

MariusLecter posted:

But this one doctor has a big collage of pens and stuff. How do explain that huh? With your fancy degree you piece of poo poo

Curses, foiled again! How did they find our weakness for chintzy little pens with a half inch of ink in them and cheap solar calculators! I can't get enough of them, dammit! I'd sell them my mother's kidneys for another one of those really neat Levitra pens that flipped out in a suggestive manner.

• Locked thread