Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

Each piece of ammunition also gets a $200 tax strapped plus wait for a background check to clear on the sale as a destructive device.
There used to be several places in former eastern bloc countries where you could pay to fire RPGs, drive and fire(?) tanks, etc. I wonder if those still exist. Seems like it would be cheaper/easier to fly to Estonia and get your destructive device on than to do it here.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

I hadn't realized the likes of Benjamin Franklin and company were complete whackjobs. Thanks for setting me straight. Eastern Ukrainians probably had similar thoughts, but no guns when they needed them.
They were white men, many of whom owned slaves. They were terrible humans and their founding of this country is to be mourned, not celebrated.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

lol if you don't know enough about American history to realize the Founding Fathers were garbage human beings.
Literally the post above you. Sheesh.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Compared to modern day western people, yes the founding fathers were not very good people. At the time? They were a golden standard of civilization and humanity. That's the problem with liberals these days, they have no historical context and they require a 100% match on moral views from other people or dismiss them as "garbage human beings." This infighting is why liberals have no power in America. Surely you can find redeeming qualities to their pursuits of science and invention. Surely you can find redeeming qualities to their political thought and ideas to create a checked and balanced democracy. Surely you can accept that if you lived in the 1700s in the colonies and were successful in any way, you would have been a slave owner as well.
Well, I was posting ironically anyways. Pretty sure Who What Now actually means it.

Maybe we should put termporalism on the "literally shaking" list and then internet leftists would have to be sure they're not committing microaggressions against differently-era-ed people by failing to properly check their modern cultural privilege and applying one society's cultural norms on another. Or some such.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sonofsunaj posted:

If gun ownership makes you more likely to be a victim of homicide, why are African Americans, a group with the lowest chance of gun ownership, also the most likely to be a victim of homicide?
Obviously because white racist gun owners are fulfilling their fantasies of killing a minority. Duh.

Yes, I know this is not the case, and depending on who you listen to, something around 90-95% of homicides against African Americans are by other African Americans.

Edit: Do we know that African Americans are the least likely to own a gun? Honestly, if I was black in America, there's no way in poo poo I'd be telling the nice man on the phone/at the door/wherever that I have a gun.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 20, 2016

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

You would never be receptive of the argument. Nothing is more important to you than gun ownership. All the facts and logic in the world won't change that, so what's the point in even trying? Better to just point and laugh at the psychopaths that love objects more than innocent life.

That's cool. We laugh at your pearl clutching and fear of inanimate objects. Wanna go get some beers after?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

I don't fear guns. I fear idiots with guns. Because they are a real and proven danger.
Good news for you then, if we go for beers in my state, it's illegal to carry in a bar, so there will be no idiots with guns. I'll even pick up the first round.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, and I bet this "bar" is located deep in the woods and just so happens to look like a freshly-dug shallow grave. You can't fool me.

Edit

Also the first round is a .45

Hey, I was just offering you a beer. You're going to have to find someone else to help with your kinks.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Effectronica posted:

It never fails to be creepy how many TFR posters believe they can brainwash people into liking guns through "going out for beers".
Cheese it, fellas. He's onto us!!!!

The way to get people to stop being afraid of guns is to take them shooting. Everyone knows this. Sheesh.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Gun laws usually stop criminals, you're right.

That why we need more of them. Its just common sense. Only the NRA is standing in the way of making it illegal to kill people.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Pauline Kael posted:

Why more of them? What's going to be different? Is it going to be double illegal to kill someone? Is there a class of criminal that will be willing to kill someone under the current laws, but if it's double illegal, they won't?

If it was illegal to murder people then there wouldn't be any murders.

Why won't the NRA listen to mayors demanding common sense from moms and stop telling their puppets in Congress to keep murder legal.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Butch Cassidy posted:

I get the feeling that many in D&D would also support strict regulation of every single goddamn thing in life.
Fixed that for you.

I like to think they're just the logical outcome of the participation trophy generation. Nobody's ever trusted them to hold anything they could hurt themselves with or do anything where they might learn how to handle themselves, so we get this.

Honestly, if you've never done anything in your life where you could maim or kill yourself or others, I could see where you develop a case of hoplophobia. Of course, we disagree completely on the correct course of action for dealing with that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Now tell us about how bread used to cost a nickel and you had to walk to school uphill both ways.
Haha, old people, amirite?

Anywhoo, what with record numbers of guns being sold, lets talk about some other ways we can get rid of this scourge with a 100% statistical likelihood of killing your loved ones, since the NRA clearly has such a death grip on everyone from the local dog catcher to the president. Maybe amending the constitution to get rid of the second amendment? Discuss amongst yourselves.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

You don't understand the very important social function played by tough guy dress up time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Since, you know, ever considering safety for a single reason is for pussies and all.
I really have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about here beyond projecting some weird fantasy/nightmare about dying by a gun.

Safety is issue #1 for any non-jackhole, and we have the four rules drilled into our heads. I mean, you seem to take it to an extreme by storing your supposed guns outside of your home, which is cool if that's what works for you.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

How is not keeping my guns in my home "extreme", exactly?
Not so much your not keeping them there, as your certainty that someone will get hurt if you do. There's lots of people living places where they can't keep their guns that store them somewhere else. But like several have said, if that's what floats your boat and makes you feel safe, cool. You're just in the extreme minority of gun owners if that's what you do.

Who What Now posted:

lol at "supposed" guns. You literally can't conceive of a someone owning guns who isn't exactly like you? That's kinda hosed up.
Nah, most gun owners aren't like me. I just have a hard time conceiving that one of the loudest voices in an anti-gun discussion is a gun owner.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SedanChair posted:

This would obviously be better addressed in its own thread, but since I've got you here, do you think there is anything amiss in the way that mental illness is diagnosed and psychoactive medications prescribed? As someone who is just a layman but sees lots of kids pick up a range of seemingly contradictory diagnoses, it seems like psychiatry has a lot less rigor than other branches of medicine.
Also a layman and also curious. I'm not sure if it's a lack of rigor, per se, or if it's that our understanding of mental health today is where our understanding of physical health was 100-150 years ago. It also seems like the more we discover about the brain, the more it looks like we're all slaves to our electrical impulses.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Because it's been proven that first-world developed nations survive just fine without firearms.
This, of course, assumes that the US is a first-world developed nation. I'd personally argue that our massive inequalities ensure that there are large swaths of it that are not.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

So you need your gun to protected you from certain "less-developed" people?
Yes. that's it. CHUDS and whatnot.

I'm lucky enough to live out in a boring/safe rural area where the highlight of the police blotter is some kids smoking weed by the power lines. Not everyone is, however, and I support their and my right to protect themselves and their families.

Also, why do anti-gun people ALWAYS trot out the "so you can shoot a black guy" thing?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Because that is literally what people end up doing.
Just so I've got it straight, your contention is that gun owners a bunch of white racists out there just itching to kill a minority?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The obvious answer is to form sine kind of committee to ensure that 12.5% of shootings are of black dudes to eliminate any hint of racism in homicide targeting.
That's going to take a lot of work. Depending on whose interpretation you listen to, between 5% and 10% of homicides of African Americans are committed by non-African Americans, so the white man's gotta step his black guy killing way the gently caress up.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 25, 2016

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SedanChair posted:

A huge number of them are. I've said it before that one of the things that got me to quit the NRA was the very clear dogwhistling and printing of scary black mugshots in American Rifleman.
Not going to argue that the NRA/a bunch of the right wing doesn't race bait, but there's a HUGE difference between "guy scared of minorities because he's dumb" and "guy at home fantasizing about going out and killing a minority."

If you can't see that, I assume you think your grandpa is in the Klan too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The thing is, he's not entirely wrong. Fear of "the other" is a time-honored tradition for those in power to keep the rabble in line, and is demonstrated across American history. But to suggest that all gun owners are salivating at the chance to kill a minority is just silly.

• Locked thread