Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Actually, you can totally buy tanks and jet fighters in America, but it ain't a cheap hobby. There's nothing illegal about owning rocket launchers either, but the companies that make the ammunition generally don't do private sales, the storage requirements for any significant quantity of ordinance are a pain, and it's hard to find a place to shoot one.

Each piece of ammunition also gets a $200 tax strapped plus wait for a background check to clear on the sale as a destructive device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

So where do airguns fall in the discussion of gun control in the U.S?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Snowman Crossing posted:

So glad I became a single-issue gun voter as I moved into my early thirties.

Age doesn't matter. A bullets loves all the same.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Assuming some of you could realistically push your version of reasonable gun control in the United States, I ask again where airguns would fall.

Ownership and discharge are unregulated in the majority of states. Airgun suppressors are unregulated.

Would you leave that as-is? Institute power limits defining regulaed and non-regulated as in Canada and the U.K? Regulate them all as in New Jersey? Extra regulation or a ban for suppressors? Discharge regulation to ranges or outside a certain distance of inhabited structures? Training requirements? Caliber limits? Would felons be prohibited from ownership?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

Edit: why not post some pictures with literal devices? They make you look so cool.

Okay. I made a holster for profit and mailed it out so a person can carry their gun around whenever they feel like it:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You keep your guns offsite because statistics scare you or because you don't trust yourself or your housemates? Because the former is weird.

"This fiream stored in a safe with a cable lock through the action and ammo secured separately could, somehow, be considered to be a constant danger."

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Yes, because accidents aren't a thing that happens. Oh, and mistaking your own spouse or children for an intruder and gunning them down in cold blood. Yeah, that's totally a thing that has literally never happened in all of human history. You got it. Great job!

How do those accidents realistically happen with firearms kept secured and unloaded by an owner uninterested in using them for self defense?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have. The local cop whose son offed himself using dad's duty pistol didn't secure it and just hung his duty belt with sidearm in a closet. Not secured.

The guy in Mass. that plugged his daughter while she was sneaking in from a party shot at a figure in the dark. Not secured, no light.

Again, how does a firearm kept locked in a safe with ammo not in the home or separately secured pose a threat when the owner has zero intention of ever using it for home defense? What accident unlocks a safe, removes a cable lock, reassembles a firearm, secures ammunition, loads the gun, aims it at a person, and pulls the trigger?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I don't care how you store you firearms or if you own any at all. I am curious how a secured firearm owned by a person with zero intent to use one defensively could possibly accidently be taken from a safe, accidentally find the cable locl removed, be reassembled by accident, before someone accidentally unlocks the ammo to accidentally load the gun and then accidentally aim and be fired unintentionally at another person. That fear is not realistic. Not trusting yourself is fine and you can admit it. Not trusting your housemates also fine. Not wantimg them in the house is fine. But insisting that a secured firearm is a risk because of statistics is phobic.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Half a dozen people jumped down my throat for not keeping my guns in my house. But yeah, you guys totally don't care.

But a secured firearm is a risk. Precisely because of other people and the chance for human errors. You seem to only believe that active malevolent intentions can result in a gun death. That's dumb as poo poo and ignores the countless accidental gun deaths that happen every single year.

Show me one accidental gun death in the homd caused by a gun owned by someone who wouldn't grab it for home defense, locked up with separately secured ammunition. A sdries of deliberate actions would have to taoe place to ready it and cause harm. It would not be an accident. A suicide or homicide, yes.

So, do you not trust yourself. Not trust your housemates? Or are you afraid of statistics taken out of real world context?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If you are worried about actual accidental gun death, those come with ownership of a firearm. Being worried about an accident while securing/cleaning/unloading/etc. a gun to the point you keep it at a storage facility shifts "accident in the home" to a new location. Gun shot wound will be the same. Ignorong following basic safety tenants, the o ly avoidance of gun accidents is to not own them.

A secured firearm is only a risk for deliberate criminal use. This is where keeping them out of the home makes actual sense. Not trusting yourself is a perfectly good use of insight. Not trusting your housemates shows valid observation.

Admitting a phobia is also fine.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Not one of has told me how a gun can accidentally be unlocked from a safe, separately stored ammo be accidentally unlocked and loaded into the gun, and then the gun be used to, still accidentally, kill or maim a person.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Any example I could give you would be instantly dismissed since you have accepted a priori that it can't possibly happen. So what's the point in engaging with someone who isn't interested in a discussion?

So, you can't think of one?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I get the feeling that many in D&D would also support strict regulation of downhill skiing.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I was the youngest child and spoiled rotten by parents who crushed me with safety concerns to the point they still get mad if they don't know where I am at any given time.

My kids play in the street with other neighborhood children unsupervised. I also provide skateboards for use by anyone in the neighborhood with no helmet requirements for anyone but my own children and the one boy whose grandfather also mandates a bucket. Self-supervised. They got the car watch lectures and there is hell to pay on the rare occasion I check in and feel they are getting lax.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I gave a gun to a Jehovah's Witness, once. Without a background check. Pretty sure she just leans it in a corner rather than get a safe. Diiferent strokes for different folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

There are plenty of people around who own a gun they rarely/never shoot and don't believe in armed self defense, assault weapons, plastic people killin' pistols, or whetever. It's perfectly fine with me. They are just welcome to leave me alone the same as I do them.

• Locked thread