Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

fishmech posted:

In all seriousness handguns are by far most common in crime, and also pretty loving lovely for legit uses.

Weirdly, handguns are pretty good for sport, recreation, and self-defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Murdering black people is not "sport" or "recreation", you psychopath.

Luckily I never held or expressed that opinion, then.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'd rather Obama and the Democrats realize this is a loser of an issue and quit handing the Republicans easy dunks for campaign ads. We're like three years removed from a man literally murdering an entire 1st-grade classroom and in the wake of that the most milquetoast background check legislation supported by 80+% of Americans couldn't even make it to the floor for a vote. This particular fight is and has been over and the gun nuts won. I know that sucks but it's reality and for the foreseeable future it ain't changing so IMO it would be a good idea to stop giving conservative politicians ammo (heh) to stir up their insane single-issue-gun-voter base.

It'd be nice if they dropped the issue and focused on things that would actually be helpful, like economic and justice reform, but political capital won't burn itself for nothing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Actual solutions that will address the underlying issue and improve everyone's lives? gently caress that, you have petty political tribalism to fund.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

you people are the problem, not part of the solution, so getting to actual solutions first involves getting you out of the way

it is clear that gun nuts are not potential partners in addressing the underlying issues because they think the underlying issue is it is too hard to get a machine gun

The underlying issues are things like economic disparity, institutionalized racism, school-to-prison pipeline, our for-profit justice system, war on drugs, and a dozen other issues that would address the root cause of criminal violence.

Of course, you don't care about actually helping people - it doesn't matter if someone is murdered or commits suicide, as long as it wasn't done with a gun you're happy as a clam.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Given that gun violence is the leading cause of death for young black men any "liberal" who echoes the NRA and gun nuts and who doesn't want to be regarded as racist has one hell of an uphill climb.

You can't coherently be anti-racist and pro-gun.

Yes - if you're perceptive enough to see that the institutional racism driving young black men into crime and violence transcends guns and would like to actually improve their lives, not just do something ineffectual and showy like 'ban guns'.

Gun control is a red herring for people that don't want to address te actual issues.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Instead of just pushing for universal background checks, they could try improving them. Making the whole process simpler and faster would be worthwhile.

Why push for more checks, and more expansion when the government isn't prosecuting or using the current laws anyway?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Tinker up a way for the public to use the system for their own face-to-face sales ( with safeguards to prevent it from being used to fish for information ) and I'm sure people would. Iron out the bugs, then start the push to make it mandatory.

What effect will a mandatory system have if there is no enforcement?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Pursue the hell out of straw buyers. Mount an ad campaign that drives home the 'seriously we're not loving around' aspect of it. Nail shady dealers to the wall. Go after the people that operate as gun dealers without FFLs.

This would actually be a good thing - and its currently well within the scope of the administration's current power. With a phone call to the DOJ and a memo or EO the president could easily make this a priority. He hasn't.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Instead of trying to sell handgun licenses as a mandatory thing, make it an opt-in that comes with a bonus. If you're a licensed handgun owner, you can have pistols with braces, silencers, whatever. Dumb things that don't really matter but people like to mess around with.

Safety equipment is a dumb thing that doesn't matter - next up, why have mandatory seat belt and airbag systems? Make them optional - if they want them, they can pay for them.

Mo_Steel posted:

Not that I expect funding for suicide prevention or public awareness or voluntary gun buyback programs would get through our current political climate with much success either, mind you. Just curious to see what measures we could take that would even have marginally the amount of impact of cutting gun ownership.

What is your goal - to reduce suicides, or to cut down on firearm ownership? You seem to take it as a given (without a shred of proof) that more firearms = more suicide. Is this true though?

I think not.

More suicide prevention would be awesome, though - and maybe if we tackled the problem directly, instead of trying sympathetic magic, we could have a big impact. Maybe - and I'm whistling in the dark here, but maybe if we addressed things like economic disparity, institutional racism, healthcare and education, we might make people's lives better and them less prone to suicide? Wait - wouldn't that also lower crime rates too? Oh snap, I think we're on to something.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Is this just raw number comparison between nations without controls? Because another data set disagrees with what you think:

Mo_Steel posted:

Is this just raw number comparison between nations

Mo_Steel posted:

You can admit that gun availability leads to increases in suicides and still be against gun control because you believe other factors (like personal defense) outweigh the cost of those additional deaths by suicide, but it's clear that more firearms = more suicides.

The only thing that is clear is that availability of firearms correlates with selection of firearms as a method of suicide.

You are positing a causative effect - literally saying that the presence of a gun leads to suicidal thought and action.

There is no such effect.

Mo_Steel posted:

Absolutely, and we should do those things too. Fighting against cancerous tumors requires funding for chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and a host of other important medical services. We should do those things, and also increase the dreamcatcher ownership in America so we can save even more lives. Because again, as mentioned above, cancer is caused by nightmares made flesh.

Excellent ideas.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
A lot of authoritarian anti-intellectuals in this thread here.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Logically speaking, if the majority of people are unable to practice basic gun safety enough to avoid shooting their children thinking they're burglars, that would seem to suggest that we shouldn't encourage people to own guns for home defense. This, of course, is why we have phantom self-defense uses, to keep this unpleasant conclusion from interfering with our right to repeatedly polish our collection.

Pretty big if you have there, though.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

botany posted:

Because it's a lot easier to kill somebody with a gun.

Its a lot faster to travel via SR-71 Blackbird. Obviously this makes it the most important issue in the larger subject of transportation.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 17, 2016

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Who What Now posted:

If you like guns so much why don't you just marry them!

How about we make it a double wedding, you can finally tie the knot with horrible posts.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Booze nuts refuse to give them up, no matter how much blood is soaked into their collective hands.

Those bastards.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pauline Kael posted:

How does my gun ownership relate to the death of innocent people? Can you show me a single instance of a NRA member being convicted of murder?

Hitler wore shoes, you wear shoes, ergo you are Hitler.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Effectronica posted:

It never fails to be creepy how many TFR posters believe they can brainwash people into liking guns through "going out for beers".

Viewing the relatively typical social interaction of having a friendly discussion over beers (or in an equivalent casual social setting) as a way to engage with a person and potentially sway their opinion as 'creepy brainwashing' is kind of weird.

Even autistic people don't hold that kind of view.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Can you tell me how my life is improved by keeping my guns in my house?

Yearly savings on storage locker fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

By driving I can.....Be an accomplice to the deaths of thousands and further the decline of the planet.
By drinking I......Am complicit in the suffering and ruinination of countless lives, not to mention the death and economic damage wrought by my hobby.

I love how your convenience and hobbies are more valuable than human lives.

• Locked thread