Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I wasn't on board at first, but now I'm in love with Bon's and Shin's story.

Darth Walrus posted:

Episode 3 continues to be very good (and very gay).

They're directing the gently caress out of this show.

Ex Shaft ain't no slouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo, the direction of this show, some of the shots blew me out of the world.

Kiku's finally found his voice. He is not an ambitious man, he only sought a place in the world. But he is going to pay a dear price for his success. All the metaphorical bullets have been loaded in the chekov's gun pointed at those he loves.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
At this rate, this show is going to my anime of the year, and the year's just started.

All the characters feel so rounded. Where Kiku and Miyokichi project and manipulate their inner darkness, Sukeroku and Yakumo VII hide theirs in an attempt to control their domains.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 27, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sukeroku is much more brittle than I had anticipated. He can dish it out, he can give strength to others, but flick his feet and his whole being tumbles down.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If there's a flaw with the show thus far, it's that Sukeroku hasn't been fully rounded out as a character. We see Kiku and Miyokichi's outer darkness, as well as Yakumo VII's inner darkness, but not Sukeroku's. We see his lack of discipline and lechery, and his love for Kiku and rakugo, but we don't see Sukeroku: the tortured artist who wishes to perform unique work, and cannot abide by tradition. They could have done something like show flashes of artistic frustration, and perhaps even jealousy at Kiku receiving favourable treatment. But this is forgivable, episodes 02-09 have been one long rakugo performance from the perspective of the elder Kiku depicting the younger Kiku, who still lacked insight into what drove his best friend. I do hope the show can properly contextualise Sukeroku.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
After the oppressive mood for the last handful of episodes, we needed some levity. Kid Konatsu is the most adorable thing.

Also, as soon as Yakumo VII started telling the story of the other apprentice, I knew he was talking about Sukeroku I. That was a cruel story, the Taisho era characters had none of the camaraderie of the Showa era characters. The Yakumo name always destroys the Sukeroku. But if there is a theme that will loop back to the beginning of this story, it is redemption across generations. In these kinds of stories, fathers are both more complete, yet more flawed than their children. Yakumo VII's rakugo displays aspects of both Kiku's and Sukeroku's, but at the same time, he lacks their empathy. And when the time comes, Yotaro and Konatsu will save Kiku from his own hand.

Edit: I swear, isn't Shinigami based on a Grimm fairy tale? The reaper standing at the foot vs the head, and the candles. But while Shinigami is a story of nihilism, the Grimm story is one of hubris.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 12, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think this series needs two more episodes: one to cap off the tragedy of Kiku's story, and another for Yotaro and Konatsu to absorb what they have learnt from Kiku, and use it to save Kiku from himself.

Apparently the anime is only adapting half the manga. But at the same time, I'm not sure where to go from there. Omata's previous show (Sankarea) incorporated a ton of sequel hooks, but the manga ended in ignominy and the later arcs were nowhere near as good. On the other hand, Rakugo Shinju's story feels complete with Kiku and Sukeroku's story, as Yotaro's journey is essentially self evident. Konatsu's journey, on the other hand, would be extremely interesting, I'd love to see her grow out of the shadow of her parents.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I really liked the first half of that episode. Sukeroku's performance blew it out of the park, with great comic timing as the narrator of the story. It was also fascinating that it could be interpreted in two ways: we first saw Kiku as the wife, then at the end, it is revealed that Sukeroku thinks of Miyo as the wife. But at the same time, the way it plays out feels like the show tries to shirk the responsibilities of the deaths on any of the characters. But that could be due to Kiku acting as an unreliable narrator. That rubbed me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
welcome back yotaro

jesus i didnt expect that out of konatsu's mouth

• Locked thread