Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
What the hell is this crap? Jazz music? Adult characters with grown-up problems? Veteran voice actors who aren't in a teen idol group? This isn't going to sell merchandise!

In all seriousness, this is extremely my poo poo. As my contribution to the thread, I'd like to propose that rakugo is not a uniquely Japanese art, and that in fact there is an American master of the practice who has been performing for decades now. NPR listeners may be familiar with Garrison Keillor and his Tales from Lake Wobegon, but for those who aren't, Garrison is a member of a radio drama troupe who tells stories about the fictional sleepy little Minnesota town of Lake Wobegon and the happenings therein.

Here is a recent performance for example, and if you're interested there are plenty more to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKJXBdu7h4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread