Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So who's this new lady? I assume it's Bon's mother, Shin's travel-girlfriend, Yakumo's travel-girlfriend or some combination of the above?

The name was interesting to me, since I happened to look at the wiki article on Shinju (double suicide) shortly after watching the episode: "The tragic denouement is usually known to the audience and is preceded by a michiyuki, a small poetical journey, where lovers evoke the happier moments of their lives and their attempts at loving each other.":

Miyochiki vs. Michiyuki:
み よ ちき vs. みちゆ き

Not sure it means anything, but given the use of Shinju in the title, a character showing up immediately after the main characters went on a journey with a name similar (one different kana and some character transposition) seems like it can't be coincidence, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Well, that explains a bunch of things, in both the past and present arcs.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
They have to come back to the present, eventually, right?

3 episodes left.

Most recent episode: It's pretty clear that Michi is playing Shin. It's a direct callback to that one Rakugo skit Bon likes to do, where the hooker finds a merchant with whom to commit suicide, so she won't be lonely in the next world. She plans to die alongside him, punishing Bon by taking away the two people most dear to him. But we know that there has to have been a significant stretch of time between where we are now in the story and where Shin dies. For one thing, he has to get back into the good graces of the Rakugo-watching public, and start recording and selling LPs. And he raised his daughter long enough to make a distinct impression (I don't remember how old she was when he died, I feel like it was somewhere in the 6-10 year old range, though). So what sort of thing could have happened that would depress both Michi and Shin enough to dump their kid off on Bon and commit a double suicide just to hurt him after living successfully for a number of years?

I guess it could be the death of Yakumo 7, and Bon taking up the name?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Strange Quark posted:

MAL says it's 13 episodes, so it should be 4 more.

Did the double length first episode count as one episode or two?

(Somehow, despite the title being right in front of my face, I thought it was ep10).

Still, now that I think about it, I have to wonder about the above.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
For what it's worth, here's Shinigami in English (title suggests half of it, at least, I haven't finished watching yet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl-ET6lsndA

EDIT: I haven't been able to find shinagawa shinjuu, which is the one for which I've really been looking.

EDIT2: And here's the other "half" (last 50 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIM7_e52Ko8

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

.Clash posted:

Second season! gently caress yes.

I really hope that's true, and that it happens fairly quickly. There would be absolutely no way for me to enjoy this franchise without audio, so I'm not even going to try to read the manga.

So, in the end, is the reason that Yakumo didn't want Konatsu to Rakugo:
A. He was subconsciously trying to kill Rakugo as an artform, since he was so pissed
B. He was trying to protect the traditions of Rakugo as he had promised Sukeroku and thus forbid women from practicing it
C. Konatsu reminded him painfully of Sukeroku when she performed Rakugo
or
D. He was afraid that if women did Rakugo, they'd be better at playing the feminine roles than he was, and so he could no longer go to "the place he truly belonged" or however it was described
??

• Locked thread