Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just saying that you should watch this, because it's excellent, masterfully-produced character drama, and that you shouldn't be put off by not knowing much about the obscure premise, because the show eases you into its little slice of Japanese culture very comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I find quite fun and interesting about this show is how unusually... filmic? ... it feels for an anime? Like, the whole thing feels very artificial and heightened, like the rakugo stories its characters tell (which I'm pretty sure is a deliberate choice - the end of the episode in particular, where Yakumo kicks off his tale of the past almost like he's beginning a rakugo, stuck out to me), but more grounded and natural than your average anime.

I sort of feel like Konatsu's a good example here. She's a very recognisable tsundere, with the classic narrative role (a short-tempered but kind-hearted potential love interest for our hero who warms up to him as we learn more about why she was such a cranky sourpuss in the first place), but feels like a very different beast from the tsunderes of, say, your standard teen light novel adaptation, and not just because she's an adult and they're teenagers (or ancient monsters that just so happen to behave like teenagers). It all just feels like a different kind of stylisation, one you don't often see in an anime TV series but might see in a film or play.

That resonating with anyone else?

On another note, Kyoji and Konarsu make a cute couple, and I hope things work out for them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I think the best description is "one-man/woman comedy play". The main conceit is that one person is able the voice various different characters equally well

Well, that and that they can create an immersive story with an absolute minimum of props and physical action.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i did really like the first ep, but have to agree with Sakura that the "master" isn't given a whole lot of material to show off why he's so great. up until he got expelled, i genuinely expected Yotaro falling asleep to be a sort of "this Master is actually just overblown" moment, and for Yota to go off and study Sukeroku style. but otherwise the characters are super interesting, especially seeing the gradual layers of Yurakutei. the thief story was a good way to sell rakugo to the audience i think, i enjoyed it despite Yota's inexperience.

I think I got it - Yakumo just has an incredibly precise, refined style, conveying the maximum effect with the minimum of movement. He's an artist's artist. Kyoji/Yotaro's style is broader and messier, with more mugging - he feels like he's having to work more and harder to draw the audience in, and is more restricted in the kind of stories he can tell - he can do the standard rakugo comedy, but Yakumo can branch out into drama and horror as well.

Of course, it deserves noting here that the animation and direction deserve mega-props for conveying this sort of thing so well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

That's cool! I hope it does well. I'm going to watch the new ep when I get home this evening but I'm excited. I was already kinda wondering if Yakumo might have had a never-realized crush on Sukeroku just from the little glimpses in the first episode.

Literally every other work the mangaka has written is yaoi. She knows what she's doing here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Episode 3 continues to be very good (and very gay).

They're directing the gently caress out of this show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Episode 4: Still good, still gay (though slightly less so). Going to be interesting to see how the newly-arrived femme fatale shakes things up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

What do you mean less gay? It started out kinda gay and just got gayer with every scene. It was so good too! I love this amazing gay anime.

Bon showing (very mild) attraction to a woman in the final scene. Which does count as less gay when the bar is raised so enormously high.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

lol less gay? Bon-chan says he's going to meet up with a girl later and good rakugo guy gets all pissy for 'no reason', then he spends the whole time with her looking horribly uncomfortable.

I'm mostly thinking of the ending sequence with all the pulsing music as he hesitantly moved to embrace her, though that may have just been 'I can literally think of no other way to get out of this situation'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

Bon already had a girlfriend. Being uncomfortable around this woman and/or not interested in her doesn't equal "i wish i was home doing erotic rakugo with sukeroku".

Meanwhile Sukeroku got married and had a daughter. It's not even subtext, it's not text at all.

It's been easy to read Yakumo/Bon as having a one-sided crush on Sukeroku. He's the only person he really lights up and emotes around, and his first girlfriend felt very much like a gay guy trying (and failing) to have a 'proper' heterosexual relationship. Just look at how stiff and inexpressive he was with her compared to how he was with Sukeroku in the same episode. Now, Sukeroku? Definitely heterosexual. It's just that his buddy has been raising a hell of a lot of flags.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy hell, that episode went by crazy-fast. Hard to believe that it was full-length.

And not cool taking advantage of your new gay best friend like that, Miyokichi (seriously, that 'he isn't like that' was about as loaded as a line-reading can get).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

They have to come back to the present, eventually, right?

3 episodes left.

Most recent episode: It's pretty clear that Michi is playing Shin. It's a direct callback to that one Rakugo skit Bon likes to do, where the hooker finds a merchant with whom to commit suicide, so she won't be lonely in the next world. She plans to die alongside him, punishing Bon by taking away the two people most dear to him. But we know that there has to have been a significant stretch of time between where we are now in the story and where Shin dies. For one thing, he has to get back into the good graces of the Rakugo-watching public, and start recording and selling LPs. And he raised his daughter long enough to make a distinct impression (I don't remember how old she was when he died, I feel like it was somewhere in the 6-10 year old range, though). So what sort of thing could have happened that would depress both Michi and Shin enough to dump their kid off on Bon and commit a double suicide just to hurt him after living successfully for a number of years?

I guess it could be the death of Yakumo 7, and Bon taking up the name?

I think it was mentioned in passing that our two leads already did radio work, so the LPs are already out there. That probably just means things go way, way south in whatever village they have their daughter in, and that can happen pretty soon since Miyokichi already has a bun in the oven. Hell, given that we're talking about early-twentieth-century rural Japan, the 'suicide' could be leaving in the first place, and they get killed by a flash flood in the mountains or something.

Now kiss.

I don't think you'll get another opportunity.

:smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I've been thinking this.
I mean, I prefer the characters in the past, but it's really drat weird that they had like two episodes in the 'present' and then it was just "BYE! We're going back in time now, let's never speak of the future again!"

That's the story, though. The present is a framing narrative. It's a very common literary conceit.

Did you think Wuthering Heights was going to be mainly about Lockwood's wacky hijinks with his weird new landlord?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Those brief cuts to the water were just beautifully ominous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Konatsu knows what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You missed the most obvious one, that Rakugo was a dying artform and to study it seriously would be a true waste of time for most people. The only reason he accepted Yotaro was because he basically had no future life to waste, and rakugo was all he could have, similar to Yakumo and Sukeroku, whereas Konatsu had/has her whole life ahead of her.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the ban on women doing rakugo had something to do with it as well. Being the stick-in-the-mud traditionalist was the job Sukeroku entrusted to him, after all.

One thing I really noticed in this episode was the reminder of the parallels between Sukeroku/Kikuhiko and Yotaro/Konatsu. Konatsu in particular really takes after her foster dad considerably more than her biological parents.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 2, 2016

• Locked thread