Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i did really like the first ep, but have to agree with Sakura that the "master" isn't given a whole lot of material to show off why he's so great. up until he got expelled, i genuinely expected Yotaro falling asleep to be a sort of "this Master is actually just overblown" moment, and for Yota to go off and study Sukeroku style. but otherwise the characters are super interesting, especially seeing the gradual layers of Yurakutei. the thief story was a good way to sell rakugo to the audience i think, i enjoyed it despite Yota's inexperience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Notice the point that Yotaro fell asleep was also the point where Yakumo's story was about falling asleep. Yotaro was so into his story that he fell asleep himself.

While I didn't find the story that interesting either, little details like that sucked me into the story anyway. It made the rejection heartbreaking.

ah, i had probably stopped absorbing anything from the subs at that point because it was so dull to me. :v: if we're meant to think of rakugo as more general storytelling (like DW interpreted) then it's my bad for expecting all the performances to resemble the thief story.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in another world, Sukeroku and Yakumo raise Konatsu and teach her rakugo, together

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it's lovely to act like this show being good has anything to do with tropes being present or not (they aren't inherently bad anyway). it's got a great atmosphere and ends up being a sort of cultural education to western (and maybe younger) viewers. i'm a few weeks behind and can't really speak on how characters are developing, but i've enjoyed their presentations so far.

• Locked thread