Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's cool though because Saturn Neptune and Pluto then all became gay moms and raised the magical girl they tried to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

alcharagia posted:

i have a friend who really likes this show and he talks about how "it's not really even a magical girl show it's more of a Shakespearean tragedy" and i'm really hesitant to watch it therefore

no, its a nice darker than usual magical girl show with some cool postmodern flourishes and apocalyptic imagery. riyl: utena, eva, haruhi

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

alcharagia posted:

i have a friend who really likes this show and he talks about how "it's not really even a magical girl show it's more of a Shakespearean tragedy" and i'm really hesitant to watch it therefore

Spoken like someone in denial about liking a magical girl show who knows nothing about the genre as a whole. It is true though that (besides, I guess, the visual style) the main thing setting it apart from other magical girl shows is how unrelentingly bleak it is so if you don't want a show about how everything sucks and is hopeless forever maybe watch something else. (I do not like Madoka but lurk its threads for reasons mostly unbeknownst even to myself)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

your friend is lame

also the show isn't really about how everything sucks forever, sorry poster above me

it isn't really darker than other magical girl shows either tbh. like sailor moon has some dark poo poo in it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

your friend is lame

yeahhhhh i know

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

alcharagia posted:

The only way anybody could describe Madoka as either "Shakespearean" or "Tragic" would be if they had no idea what either of those words meant.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that the true hidden secret OTP of Madoka is Sayaka and Homura

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Bad Seafood posted:

The only way anybody could describe Madoka as either "Shakespearean" or "Tragic" would be if they had no idea what either of those words meant.

where da dick jokes at

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

go on

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

PerrineClostermann posted:

:yeah: :tem:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

which is good because shakespeare is boring whereas madoka is not

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

...Huh. Um, lemme see...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I watched the movies about a month ago and rebellion was cool

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I just rewatched the first two Madoka movies, and I still like it.

I really love the closing credits for the first movie though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Lots of HomuraxSayaka

The Most HomuraxSayaka

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
HomuSaya is weird.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Bad Seafood posted:

That's too bad, since a well constructed Shakespearean tragedy is one of my favorite types of story, and calling it that actually made me interested in checking out the show...

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
other than my interest in pairing the tiny kids together that is :mrgw:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

please post fanart of my favorite pairing, the suicidal lady from episode 2 and the cleaning woman from the TV dimension witch episode.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tarranon posted:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

wasn't there a comic where madoka yelled at sayaka for being homophobic

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Tarranon posted:

That's too bad, since a well constructed Shakespearean tragedy is one of my favorite types of story, and calling it that actually made me interested in checking out the show...

It is most definitely not a Shakespearean tragedy. It is a magical girl show with an excellent twist.

Tarranon posted:

Yeah uh :yikes:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

HomuSaya is weird.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

a cartoon duck posted:

wasn't there a comic where madoka yelled at sayaka for being homophobic

This one?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Devilman parody is simply the best.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Tarranon posted:

Less of this in the thread in general would be great.

That goes for Tarranon who's joking and the rest of you who're actually serious.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 10, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hell of a show/movie. emotional, ambitious and stylish

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

PerrineClostermann posted:

The actual secret ship is Sayaka x the rest of the main cast because she is gay for all of them.
I would also like to present my theory that becoming a magical girl automatically turns you into a magical lesbian. (Like a regular lesbian, but only attracted to equally magical girls)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Tarranon posted:

you could maybe compare it to greek tragedy since it relies a lot on anagnorisis. even that's a stretch though.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Thinking on it, I'll give an example of how Rebellion utilizes the term. First though, to me, and to properly define it, it is to separate meaning from text. To take the text and pull it apart, looking at inherent themes, concepts, and overall meaning beyond just what the text is saying. A secondary feature is that through this, the contradictions of the work are exposed. Madoka the series does not do this, as it simply creating a specific world with Magical Girls. Madoka is very referential to other works, but it is also clearly doing its own thing and the point is not to address those works within this context. Rebellion however does this to the series with Homura, as we see her inward reactions to the end of the series.

The text at the end of the series is, overall, very straight-forward. Madoka makes her wish, Magical Girls are saved, everything is great, and Homura has found a new purpose and is happy. But what is the inherent meaning here? What is behind the facade, and what is Homura actually thinking? How does the series contradict itself? This is in part why Rebellion's choice of setting is brilliantly chosen, as it is literally inside Homura's head. The example here starts just after Homura has had her discussion with Sayaka, and we see her reacting to the creation of the Labyrinth:

“Someone here dragged everyone into this unattainable dream world, forsaking our duty to battle the wraiths. Such weakness should be unforgivable. Magical Girls must continue always to fight. That was the price we paid for our miracles. It’s because our fate is what it is that she gave up everything to save us. This ridiculous farce is just wasting the sacrifice that Madoka made for us. I won’t allow it.”

But this is simply the text as presented at the end of the series. What is actually going on with Homura?

“Gott ist tot! Gott ist tot! Gott ist tot!”
“The third one to come was Liar. She offered false tears to Good-for-Nothing's soul. “Alas, Mistress Good-for-Nothing. We are proud of your foolish soul.” These dolls will sneer at the foolish and become their ally.” - (Rebellion Material Book)

As we see, Liar leads the charge, throwing pomegranates in Homura’s direction with the cry of “Gott ist tot!”, or “God is dead!” in German. This is a concept proposed by Friedrich Nietzsche that, in brief, means the loss of connection to god, and the abandonment of god as a source of absolute moral principle. Within this context, it means Homura has lost her connection to Madoka. More to the point, it reveals the true meaning of how the series ended, that Homura's religious devotion was merely a lie to deal with this loss. The inherent contradiction that Rebellion exposes here is that the end of the series was not as the text presented. Homura was not happy with the result or her role, and God truly was Dead, at least to Homura.

Thus the intention of Rebellion here is finding the deeper meaning behind the text, to show that Ultimate Madoka was "dead" to Homura, and, really, always was.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

:agreed:

I'm suspicious that Urobuchi and/or Inu Curry drew influence from Derrida's "The Post Card", because Derrida goes into great detail in connecting Nietzsche's ideas in Zarathustra to Freud's "Fort! Da!" game—both of these being directly referenced by imagery in Rebellion.

the Nutcracker symbolism is probably my favorite though. Homulilly is a broken nutcracker, reflecting all of Homura's self-perceived failures, right? So when she transforms, crushing her soul gem between her teeth, that's a super powerful scene to me. also the nutcracker symbolism is much more palatable than a crock pot of postmodern writers.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

The following is a public service announcement:

Using the word "Deconstruction" in this thread (excepting this post) will result in an automatic probation.

Thank you.

I mean, technically it is, so please allow good quality arguments tia

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Less of this in the thread in general would be great.

That goes for Tarranon who's joking and the rest of you who're actually serious.

I'm going to ask Lord justice about all the Yuri pairs

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
This series is good as long as you never read more about it and ignore everything the creator has to say about it.

The movie was a pretty good hour and a half long story. Not really needed, but by itself I still found it to be a fun 90 minutes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think you'll find it is actually almost two hours long.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't know what you're talking about.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the show has been over for ages people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog