Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Have you seen the Dark Backward? Because I think that movie loving nailed it.
I gained a deep appreciation for Wayne Newton when I found out he wanted to do the film for free because he loved the script so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Neurolimal posted:

Since I managed to scratch one obscure childhood film off my bucket list I feel like asking: I vividly recall a movie that opens with kids doing black magic as a gag, then it turns out they can make wishes come true, then midway through they discover all the wishes turning to literal poo poo
That was GATE II, the (unauthorized?) sequel to THE GATE.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

That was GATE II, the (unauthorized?) sequel to THE GATE.

Holy poo poo thank you. This has been annoying me for so long! The funny thing is that I saw Cinemassacre's video on The Gate, thought "that almost reminds me of the movie, but I dont recognize these scenes" and I guess I figured it would be an obscure enough movie to not get a sequel.

I am going to get so many weird nostalgia jitters watching this thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Gate II: The Tresspassers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

I gained a deep appreciation for Wayne Newton when I found out he wanted to do the film for free because he loved the script so much.

I didn't know, that. That loving rules. The fact that The Dark Backward isn't on blu-ray is loving criminal. Someone needs to put that out.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I have not seen Dark Backward... definitely gonna check it out once I get off work.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I have not seen Dark Backward... definitely gonna check it out once I get off work.
I cant' emphasize how Not For Everyone The Dark Backward is - in a thread about Nothing but Trouble, no less.

I've put all my friends through cinematic wringers and I only know two people who have ever made it through the film, everyone else has always tapped out ten minutes into it at the exact same scene. At the dump. On the upside I found out those two people are my friends for life, at least.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
When I was a kid I nagged my parents into renting NOTHING BUT TROUBLE on a Friday night. I think I was about 10 years old and knew that Chevy Chase was in FUNNY FARM and I liked that, and I knew who Dan Ackroyd was so it must be funny right? I can't imagine what my parents must've felt watching it. I must've liked it at the time because I remember recording it when it was on TV as well. It was only a few years later where I thought oh I wonder if it holds up and...Jesus it's horrific. It's oppressively juvenile.

Sad story: Drew from Hitfix got to interview Ackroyd recently and told him he'd love to do an oral history on this, but Ackroyd told him "Oh, that's never going to happen."

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 12, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

I'm curious to know how old people were when they saw it. As I mentioned I first saw it when I was about 5-7 years old. It really left a mark and I feel like it gave me a pretty skewed perspective on movies in some subconscious way. I'd completely forgotten about it until two or three years ago when some friends were talking about how awful it is. I actually defended the movie having somehow fondly remembering it. It inspired me to actually watch it again. I still can't bring myself to hate it, but god is it a wretched movie from start to finish.

I watched it a year ago for the first time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What a killjoy that Dan Aykroyd is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens consider joy a weakness.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's the crystal head. It speaks to him, influences him, makes him do things.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

I cant' emphasize how Not For Everyone The Dark Backward is - in a thread about Nothing but Trouble, no less.

I've put all my friends through cinematic wringers and I only know two people who have ever made it through the film, everyone else has always tapped out ten minutes into it at the exact same scene. At the dump. On the upside I found out those two people are my friends for life, at least.

I checked this out based on this thread, and I can safely say I would rather be force-fed Nothing But Trouble, Clockwork Orange-style, for the rest of my life than sit through The Dark Backward again. It's a meandering, plodding mess with no through line, ugly performances from ugly people and a child's understanding of 'social commentary'. I didn't even care about the dump scene, because it had no weight, because there are no characters in this movie, just stock cutouts saying the lines on the page. Everyone is uniformly awful and bad, and while no I don't need a hand-hold audience insert or a good guy, I would like someone with an arc beyond "is always terrible."

I hate this movie more than I hate KIDS

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Everblight posted:

I hate KIDS

Thank god I'm not alone there, that was a movie that all signs pointed to me enjoying and I thought it was loathsome trash. And I like trash, which was the weird thing, and I love Harmony Korine, even his more bizarre stuff like Trash Humpers and Julien Donkey Boy. I blame it on Larry Clark, the only other movie I've seen of his was Bully, which just felt really nasty in a way that I couldn't totally get behind. It was alright drama, and I'm all for verisimilitude in small doses but it was just too "real" I guess and mean-spirited. It was basically just watching a bunch of boring teenagers mumble until one of them gets killed for being a sociopathic dick.

Ugly and mean-spirited movies are fine, but there has to be something there for me to latch on to. Devil's Rejects made me feel dirty watching it, but I still loved it and it's one of my favorite movies. Todd Solondz movies (only seen Palindromes and Storytelling) are really ugly and mean-spirited and I didn't like them because I got the impression watching them that the writer had total contempt both for his own characters and the audience.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Thank god I'm not alone there, that was a movie that all signs pointed to me enjoying and I thought it was loathsome trash. And I like trash, which was the weird thing, and I love Harmony Korine, even his more bizarre stuff like Trash Humpers and Julien Donkey Boy. I blame it on Larry Clark, the only other movie I've seen of his was Bully, which just felt really nasty in a way that I couldn't totally get behind. It was alright drama, and I'm all for verisimilitude in small doses but it was just too "real" I guess and mean-spirited. It was basically just watching a bunch of boring teenagers mumble until one of them gets killed for being a sociopathic dick.

Ugly and mean-spirited movies are fine, but there has to be something there for me to latch on to. Devil's Rejects made me feel dirty watching it, but I still loved it and it's one of my favorite movies. Todd Solondz movies (only seen Palindromes and Storytelling) are really ugly and mean-spirited and I didn't like them because I got the impression watching them that the writer had total contempt both for his own characters and the audience.

A critic described Todd Solondz as the sort of kid that probably picked at his scabs. I've never been able to shake that impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I picked at my scabs to taste the fresh blood. Yum.

This movie reminds me of that weird Loony tunes with the murder mice hotel, it's like a kid version of a slasher.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MWIBlNH5nXg

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 21, 2016

• Locked thread