Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

When the refs let that call go they lost all credibility to the crowd and Bengals players. Then you have them salting the wound by giving the Steelers the ball on the TO.
I have never seen a sideline so angry (or a crowd). Jeremy Hill tried to fight 4 Steelers, Gilberry finding a camera and yelling "BULLSHIT, YEA I SAID IT," Shazier dancing and pointing to the crowd. That is where the refs let the wheels fall off. I'm not really sure what they could have done, but I was prepared for anything. Hell, even an ECW esque raining of chairs was in play at that point.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I think adding a minor unsportsmanlike penalty (say, 5 yards no automatic first) would give refs a useful tool to help prevent games from getting out of hand. There were a TON of late-ish hits, post-play shoves, etc in this game (by both teams) at least back to the Steelers' first FG drive. But I think the enormity of an unsportsmanlike call makes refs unwilling to flag the little things. So they let it go, and things continue to escalate because every retaliatory shove is a little harder than the last. I know they give warnings, but assessing some minor penalties when that poo poo starts might be a better way of letting the players (and coaches) know that it's time to stop acting like chucklefucks.

I also think major, safety related penalties (a fuzzy category, maybe just start with head stuff) should be reviewable and agree with the guy who said the NFL should be able to eject guys for egregious poo poo seen on replay, even several plays later.
I agree with all of this. Maybe they should implement an NBA like review system for personal fouls when something like 8 players getting involved in pushing and shoving happens. But a quick time limit instead of 18 minutes. Hell, tell Goodell they could jam more commercials in, he would set it up by the Super Bowl.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How does the targeting rule in college work? If they did not flag it on the field could they have reviewed the Shazier play? That would be targeting in college, right?

(I don't watch college football)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah. Targeting comes with an automatic ejection, but they always review the play. If the refs deem the hit incidental contact, they'll overturn the ejection.
But they would have had to throw the flag during the play, right? So if the Shazier play happened in college, and the did not flag it, then when looking at the replay can they realize it is targeting and call it anyway? Or is it too late?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

three posted:

I like that Bengals fans have turned to outrage over the review process, the NFL's stance on player safety, and other fun strategies as coping mechanisms.
That is probably a top 5 brutal loss in the history of the NFL. You would do whatever it took too.

RumbleFish posted:

Pretty sure it's too late.
OK thanks. That makes sense but I just don't know how the rule works.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I didn't really think there was anything special about the hit on Big Ben by Burflict. It looked like a normal sack and any projection of extra violence or whatever just seems results oriented since Ben got hurt. You see about 100 sacks just like that a year.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

There's a gif floating around of Burfict slamming his knee into Ben's shoulder immediately after the hit.
Was that on TV? I don't remember noticing anything. I mean, I would not be shocked or anything or Burflict did it, we're not talking a Mensa Member here. Just watching the replay I did not think it was anything special.

VVVVV

drat, forget it, I did not see that on TV. Enjoy starting the season suspended (rightfully so)

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 10, 2016

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What set the game to "a darker tone" when Burflict

Slammed Cooper's head on his helmet
Tried to twist Cam's ankle off
Tried to twist Greg Olsen's ankle off

honestly there are a lot more too. He is a great player but he really needs a psychologist or something so he can actually reach his potential instead of play great 90% of the time and then blow up in tremendous fashion a few times a year.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

korrandark posted:

That was Adam Jones.

poo poo, you're right. If I thought about it I'm sure there are 15 other Burflict examples you could sub in.

Dude has the talent to be the cornerstone of a franchise for 10 years with a 60 million dollar deal but instead he gets 30% of that because he cannot be trusted. What a waste

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Is that the longest on field suspension the NFL has ever handed out? I'm pretty sure it is but I am not 100% positive.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Of course it is 3 games because of the twitter trends and attention. Hell, if the exact same hit happens in the second quarter before any "tempers flared" or another narrative he might get suspended 1 game, but probably just a fine. 50:50 if 1 game or a fine. Instead, because the narrative and media outcry it is 3 games. Every knows that is how the NFL rolls.
(to be clear he should be suspended in my opinion)

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

None of them have 4 previous infractions in 1 season, but I'm sure that won't register in your 90 iq brain
Tomlin doesn't get in trouble for it, but he could. How many players has he confronted after a game?
Honestly, a coach doing something to a player (like pulling their hair or shoving them) on the other team should automatically be a 1 game suspension. It just can't happen.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 12, 2016

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Probably the people that think he's just getting picked on because it was a prime time game
I do think the 3 games instead of 1 or two is because of that. If you don't think that is how the NFL rolls by now I don't know what to tell you. I don't care, suspend him 6, he is garbage and needs to learn (which he can't as that long post a few pages back illustrates), but the extra game or two is because the game got out of hand as a whole and someone has to take a big punishment for it. That exact same hit minus the rest of the narrative surrounding it would either be another fine or 1 game. The extra 2 is due to how the entire 4th quarter went. If the fans were not throwing things, there had not been like 8 almost fights, etc. he gets a game or even more likely a fine (actually now he probably catches a game, I'd say 60:40. Do you think he gets three games for the exact same hit if it happens in the second quarter before the game got out of control? Of course not.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Pron on VHS posted:

Clay Matthews and Von Miller are two examples of dirty players who avoid a bad rep. Matthews rep as a dirty-rear end player only really exists in TFF
A few things go against Burfict vs those 2. He has made hits which lead to injuries including multiple ones against the same team. Bell and Ben were both legal, but he made the (legal but hard) hit and they got hurt, so the narrative is already there. He had the bad rap coming in also, so there was already confirmation bias. Of course, since he actually is dirty no one should cry him a river.

Clay Matthews does late hits, out of bounds hits, puts his hand on another player's helmet when getting up, stuff like that, but his hits haven't been on the bad side of injury causing variance so he skates by compared to Burfict. If two or three times he hurt a player on the same team he might have the rep. Of course, a few other things help him avoid it too most likely...take some wild guesses.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think I have seen a single Steelers poster ever claim James Harrison hasn't deliberately tried to kill literally everyone
lemmie tell you about my boy toxicsunset

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Blarfk posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Antonio being injured or not is completely irrelevant to whether a flag gets thrown on that hit?
No you're right. The flag would get thrown.

But if he hops up there is no suspension for sure.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Yea, you're right, he might get a game. But no way he gets more than 1.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Munchak and Porter fined 10k each. That should really make them regret things!

My friend and I were trying to figure out realistically what the Porter fine would have to be in order for it to not have been worth it. For the organization it was worth probably a couple of million. It basically gave them a playoff win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Anyone who doesn't think the best part of this entire game was "Antonio Brown is so good at fakery he deserves a grammy"

theirs the door -------->

edit

Martavis Bryant: NFL Vice President of Officiating Says Player's Catch Should've Been Ruled Incomplete
Bryant pinned the ball to his leg and flipped for a touchdown in Pittsburgh's playoff win last week. Vice president of officiating Dean Blandino said Friday that it shouldn't have been called a catch.

good god almighty, why not go door to door and hit Bengals fans with a Stone Cold Stunner too? Goddamn the Steelers got like 200 breaks in this game. (to be honest even knowing the rule I thought it was a catch)

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 16, 2016

• Locked thread