Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1: There's about a 1000% chance that the Steelers win the Super Bowl now because it's this kind of season.
2: Whole buncha old white males are gonna write a whole buncha dogwhistle racist poo poo over Burfict and PacMan.
3: I'd be tempted to try and write the hawtest taek on Burfict but I don't think anything short of "SEND HIM TO GITMO" would beat what's written unironically. I'd place bets on someone demanding he be lynched and also vote for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Here's the first of many hawt taeks of mean ol' Vontaze needing to be banned from the league http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2016/1/10/10743956/bengals-linebacker-vontaze-burfict-should-be-banned-from-the-nfl

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
All right, I don't like going into my personal backhistory too much since I've got an (ir)rational fear of being doxxed, but let me spit some stuff here.

I was around Arizona State when Burfict was in college then. He was, and from all accounts is, a Knucklehead. I mean the Charles Barkley definition of a Knucklehead. He means well, he genuinely does, and he looks people in the eye and understands where he goes wrong and vows to change and all that stuff, so when he says that he's not a dirty player and isn't trying to be dirty I desperately want to believe him. But for some reason once he gets on the field and gets himself all amped up everything goes completely out the window and he does dumb poo poo.

I'll also say that ASU was not the place that he should have gone to school. Dennis Erickson was the coach there and not living up to expectations and was more concerned with trying to save his bacon at the end, plus he's not the fatherly-type of coach that Vontaze desperately has to have if he's going to succeed. I can tell you that Vontaze loves Marvin Lewis like a father, after Lewis basically saved his career after Vontaze went undrafted, which is a whole other story. If the Bengals fire Marvin they might as well release or trade Burfict because he'll burn everything to express his displeasure.

I genuinely believe that he means well. But for some reason everything he's told and everything that he's said he understands, about how to play and how to act and everything, goes out the window once he's on the field. I've seen people ask him about the personal fouls and misconducts and all that poo poo and he'll say that he lost his cool and that he knows better and it'll stop, but it keeps happening. You want to like and believe the boy but at some point you give up thinking that he's going to learn, and I guarantee you that Marvin's had more than one conversation with his coaches where he's had his head in his hands and is thinking why can't this fool learn?

He can put it all together. He had a game his sophomore year against USC where he played out of his mind in a good way, picked Matt Barkley (and got tackled by Barkley which guys gave him a ton of poo poo over), dominated on the defensive end, kept his cool which is more important, and ASU won. If that was the Vontaze that went out there each week he'd be an All-Pro and everything would be fine. But for some reason that just doesn't happen and no one, including Vontaze, knows what it'll take for that to happen.

He got the dirty rep in college and once you get that rep it doesn't go away. People kinda talked about that in high school but he was bigger and faster than everyone and so it was dismissed, but he got that rep at ASU and it went with him to the league because once you're dirty you're dirty forever. You can kinda dump the soft and quitter labels if you gut through enough injuries and fight enough people but you don't get the benefit of the doubt from anyone once they say you're dirty. Depending on the day, Vontaze would either say he doesn't care about being called dirty he just wants to play, to that he really didn't like being called dirty and wanted to show that he could play cleanly at a high level. Again, this was college and teens/early adults being emotionally inconsistent is par for the course so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I wonder if he'd say the same now.

But going forward, if Vontaze isn't with Marvin on the Bengals, then either he's with Marvin on another team or he needs that fatherly-type of coach that he can really emotionally bond and connect with, because that's the way to get through to him. If he gets the "my way or the highway" type of guy like Chip Kelly or Belichick he'll tune him out, and if he goes somewhere where there's no structure or discipline at all, like Miami, you might as well send his paychecks to the league. Arizona with Arians would be good if Marvin isn't coaching, maybe Pete Carroll although I fear that'd be too close to how Erickson was. But Vontaze is a Knucklehead, he's always been a Knucklehead, and unless he really grows up somehow he'll be a Knucklehead until he's out of the league, and that's a shame.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The one and only. God he was a monster that game.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Is that the longest on field suspension the NFL has ever handed out? I'm pretty sure it is but I am not 100% positive.

Haynesworth got five for stomping on a dude, dunno if that counts since I think he got tossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Anaranjado posted:

Chad Johnson headbutted his wife.

Proof he should have been playing soccer all along.

• Locked thread