Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah hahaha why would those refs want to try and nip escalation in the bud during this game

They tried that before it did nothing so it was kind of pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Quest For Glory II posted:

berfict's hit looked pretty bad though, the only unfortunate thing is there was no replay angle that actually showed the point of impact but it did look like the helmets collided regardless

It was a actually shoulder to helmet but it was still bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel bad for pac as he will be lumped in with Burlict which isn't fair at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kalli posted:

Was posted to the GDT:

Yep no head to head but still drat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Robo-Pope posted:

Watch the replay before that. He's walking Brown off the field, Burfict puts his hand on Brown's shoulder, and Porter justifiably gets in his face. I'm not sure exactly how he got surrounded by five Bengals, but he was minding his own business until Burfict physically engaged an injured player.

To be fair it could just be Burlict feeling bad he almost murdered a dude.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Moxie posted:

He should probably wait until the guy regains his memory to apologize then

No one accused him of being smart!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Are you loving blind

Nope it's shoulder to head which is still illegal, I think? It should be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

v2vian man posted:

that hit was only not head to head because he missed

don't tell me for one second that vontaze burfict wasn't trying to hit his head

He did hit his head, I don't think he cares which part does it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

v2vian man posted:

one of my favorite parts is that brown didn't even catch it. like that's an illegal hit if he does catch it, but he doesn't, and burfict can clearly see that, and he still takes the shot anyway

This is what he does and the league refuses to do anything so they really shouldn't be surprised.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mughe posted:

Mike Carey said it was legal (it wasn't).

They then kept bringing up a legal sack trying desperately to find something wrong with it.

Then Burlict went full Burlict.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I didn't see the fumble, did they botch the snap going for a kneel or actually try and run a play? If the former holy poo poo that's bad luck, if the latter lol they absolutely deserved to lose

They had all three timeouts, running a play was the right call.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People also shove people all the time without penalty so I can't give a gently caress about that.

Also lol at punch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Intruder posted:

He pretty clearly shoves Porter, your'e just being obstinate at this point

A shove and a punch are very, very different.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Intruder posted:

But both would incur a penalty so it's a moot point

Sometimes, not always.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

johnfw50 posted:

He was out there talking to the player whose brain had just been turned to mush. Burfict touched the star player he knocked out. Porter took exception to that and got surrounded. Stop being a loving moron

That is worse really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The pearl clutching in this thread is hilarious. Especially from Steelers fans.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

commieB posted:

Talk poo poo get hit is common law

You aren't even getting hit, you are just getting moved slightly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Schwack posted:

Football Zebras says Joey Porter was allowed on the field, no flag for that.

@footballzebras 3m
Sideline personnel are allowed on field for injury. He did jaw back, but CIN really should have given space

Jones just has to not be a complete loving moron and take the bait. Earlier this week, James Farrior mentioned that Porter would make sure to show everyone just how badly the Steelers had gotten into the Bengals' heads.

Lol so much for the paragon of virtue Joey Porter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Senordingdong posted:

That says he was allowed to be there...?? Not his fault Bengals can't control themselves with a little poo poo talking.

Nah people are pretending poor Joey was forced into this situation when the dude was looking for an opportunity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pac man is a piece of poo poo but I am not going to let previous history cloud my judgment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goetta posted:

The flag was weak as poo poo

It was OP

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

I dont think they are. Personally, I think Porter knew he had a chance to goad several bengals into a penalty, and was totally baiting them. And it worked. Porter was slick.

Well some are at least presenting it that way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest that shows that the NFL has No real way to handle these types of problems if they come up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean you could eject guys but then you will fall into the same thing "The refs were biased and screwed us by throwing out so and so for just shoving a guy when shoves happen all the time etc etc"

The NFL is terrified of ejecting players which is a problem. Burlict should have been ejected a long time ago. I mean the announcers were saying he was running around uncontrollably on the sideline. Trying to start fights.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

if jones didn't respond to porter, another player would have. it was an intentional laying of bait for someone to take, in a SEA of bengals players. in that situation, i feel that offsetting unsportsmanlikes was the best way of defusing it

It would have been, penalizing one but not the other is pouring gas on an open flame.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm saying that there's a stronger disincentive against escalating conflict or retaliating when each team has to worry about the possibility that they're going to be "unfairly" get the brunt of the punishment. If things are going to get called in a way such that they predictably balance out, then what reason do they have not to just act like maniacs?

Weird I feel the exact opposite would happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

Because Burfict was touching Brown. I can't imagine anyone from the Steeler sideline was very thrilled with Burfict at that moment, and they probably weren't willing to accept it as a gesture of apology

It's really unfair if this excuses Porters behavior.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

Joey Porter, secret ISIS leader, deserved a flag for not allowing Burfict to lay hands on the man whose brain he just liquefied.

I agree with this Porter should not have involved himself at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

Would you be more okay with it if it was a steelers trainer who pushed Burfict's hand away?

I honestly don't think anyone should have done anything there unless he sincerely believed
Burlict was gonna murder him. Which is silly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

At some point, you have to realize that your opinions on Joey Porter's thing that he did mean absolutely loving nothing and he didn't violate any rules, right?

Talking poo poo can violate the rules depending on how trigger happy the ref is. Unsportsmanlike conduct and all that. It's rather vague tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, because all of those matter in that specific moment.

They have to or you look hypocritical.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mr. Porter called me a poopyhead, sir. I had no choice but to fight through you and two of your peers to address his meanie words personally.

You were wrong dude you don't get to be smug.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

now I ain't no big fancy lawyer type who can tell the difference between saying mean stuff and grabbing a person but that doesn't mean that *spits* I can't calls it likes I sees it

There is effectively no difference between the two, neither cause physical harm by themselves. A punch on the other hand.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol please you could call that rule 100 times per game I'm sure if you wanted to be literal about it.

You could yes that doesn't change anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yes yes I see we should definitely say its cool to shove coaches just as long as you don't punch them

I think you should treat it the same as poo poo talk, as I don't see any real difference between the two. It's not cool but context should matter. It definetly should not outrank poo poo talk for any reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Please stop lying about what happened or i will gently caress your poo poo up, pretty bad. [posted vaguely to offend all sides' sensibilities]

I will gently shove you fucker, I am hardcore!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I will gently shove everyone in this threat, intimidating you into submission.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Jones doesn't even make contact with Porter. You can see it in the clip. Jones also doesn't shove a ref. Jones throws a weak punch, but is pushed away by three refs.

https://streamable.com/v94e

Look at jones being manhandled by those refs, he should sue!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

So an attempted physical escalation that is physically prevented by the referees is an unwarranted flag?

That is in line with how refs usually handle these situations. Like I said how the NFL handles this poo poo is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

v2vian man posted:

dude...thats a former mod your talking too

He has power man, not shoving power but close.

• Locked thread