Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Quest For Glory II posted:

that second flag was the epitome of refs looking for any kind of escalation to put their feet down, no matter how minor

Yeah hahaha why would those refs want to try and nip escalation in the bud during this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
At least hopefully this game will mean a game like this won't happen for the Bengals or steelers ever again.

I mean, being hotheaded cost you the super bowl, that is gonna haunt you forever

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

berfict's hit looked pretty bad though, the only unfortunate thing is there was no replay angle that actually showed the point of impact but it did look like the helmets collided regardless

He fired head first like e loving honda

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Goetta posted:

He sorta pushed Joey Porter who was on the field poo poo talking for some reason (???) while AB was going off

Maybe he was trying to keep his players under control during a brewing scuffle?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It does suck that Burfict is gonna get poo poo on for being dirty when Shazier did the same thing and then Tomlin pulled a red flag to get the fumble.

We had a lot of ugly hits too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hill got hit by a desperation strip I would not blame him too much. Shazier went for the ball like it was the only chance on earth without really caring about tackling

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yep no head to head but still drat.

Are you loving blind

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

v2vian man posted:

try watching the gif then

Or literally any moment Burfict is on the field in any game ever

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

It strikes me that it was probably not a good idea to have the same crew that did the last shitshow do this one

It wasnt. Just the same head ref

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

buddhanc posted:

Pacman got hosed. Did nothing wrong there.

Put his hands on a coach. That's a penalty.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

v2vian man posted:

someone post what pacman did too

https://streamable.com/v94e

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Goetta posted:

Yep still a loving awful flag

Don't shove a coach

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Hahaha why the gently caress are Steelers fans trying to defend this call? It makes no loving sense.

If that's a penalty then two other Bengals shoulda been called for it. And it's not a penalty for a coach to be on the field? He has no business being there.

Are you going to defend the Shazier hit too?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It does suck that Burfict is gonna get poo poo on for being dirty when Shazier did the same thing and then Tomlin pulled a red flag to get the fumble.

We had a lot of ugly hits too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

leave it to a guy with 'mudkip' in his username to defend that flag.

Uh huh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

*retard corner tries to push through a trio of refs to get at said coach*

Whoa, why did I get penalized for that?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

See, what you're not grasping is that the coach had zero business being there. If you're flagging the Bengals, then you flag the coach for being there too. Otherwise you don't call poo poo on either team.

What you don't grasp is that if Jones hadn't obviously escalated the situation it would have either been a penalty on the coach or no penalty at all.

In that situation with things getting that violent the refs are not going to have offsetting penalties for shoving a coach and also the other guy saying mean stuff

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Intruder posted:

Adam Jones punched a bodyguard who was hired to keep him out of trouble but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on judgment calls

Look it's technically his fault I shoved him because if he wasn't there, there would not have been him to shove. - Confucius Jones

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Steelers fans trying to desperately justify any penalty after they got away with a blatant uncalled one, and got handed the game.

Yeah all these loving Steelers homers

v2vian man posted:

i think jones probably got the penalty for trying to shove through an official but hey it's not like he's an immense idiot or anything

Intruder posted:

Adam Jones punched a bodyguard who was hired to keep him out of trouble but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on judgment calls

Kalli posted:

What a loving dumbass. You run into a bunch of refs to throw a lovely punch at a guy between two of the refs' earholes and don't expect to get flagged?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Also, when the refs fail to control the game

what could they have possibly done that they hadn't done?

There were personal conduct penalties even in the first quarter.

At one point a ref dived between two players immediately after a tackle

when two groups of 52 dudes decide they want to beat the gently caress outta each other what options do a couple of skinny old dudes have

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest that shows that the NFL has No real way to handle these types of problems if they come up.

I mean you could eject guys but then you will fall into the same thing "The refs were biased and screwed us by throwing out so and so for just shoving a guy when shoves happen all the time etc etc"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Offsetting penalties between Jones and Porter would have left neither team or fanbase happy but it would have defused the situation and gotten the focus back on the game,

Yes, it is a good idea for a ref to rank mean words and physical contact as equivalent penalties

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A penalty for taunting is the same as a penalty for unnecessary roughness/facemask/etc.

So to the NFL, they are equivalent penalties.

Come on you know you are deliberately stretching things here now

taunting is a very specific penalty and isn't "mean words"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yes or no, it's okay for an assistant coach to go on the field and confront the other team and start cursing them out?

If he had gone onto the field solely and expressly for the purpose of instigating a conflict, sure. But that is not what happened. As football zebras and others had said, he was allowed to be on the field, and he was tending to a player who was injured. He let emotions get the better of him and mouthed off as far as we can tell, but that series of events is far different from him heading out to the biggest group of bengals he could find to try and get someone to shove him, which seems to be what you are implying.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

tk posted:

I wonder if you can find where in this you can find describe that could be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

I said earlier if Jones hadn't responded Porter could have easily found himself getting penalized but in a violent game when one person says mean words and the other one lays hands you do not call unsportsmanlike conduct on both, you call it on the person who escalated it to physical contact.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Goetta posted:

Which would be Porter?

When did Porter touch Jones?

tk posted:

Two wrongs make the first one right? Why does the penalty go away because he got what he wanted?

This isn't grade school, we are not talking about two wrongs making a right. A player putting hands on coaching staff is objectively worse than the coaching staff saying mean things and its absurd to think they should receive the same penalty. If both people commit similar offenses, you offset the penalties. If one party escalates the offense beyond what was done by the other, you punish the one who escalated.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Goetta posted:

Man these legaleze arguments about this sure drive home what a loving weak flag this was to throw in the context of the situation

now I ain't no big fancy lawyer type who can tell the difference between saying mean stuff and grabbing a person but that doesn't mean that *spits* I can't calls it likes I sees it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is effectively no difference between the two, neither cause physical harm by themselves. A punch on the other hand.

yes yes I see we should definitely say its cool to shove coaches just as long as you don't punch them

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

He never even got to Porter, please stop saying these things as you are constantly eroding what little credibility you have in this matter

On the replay I saw it looked like he made contact but whatever would hate to erode my credibility

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Mel, you realize that Porter is the one who started the contact, correct? Porter shoved Burfict as Brown was leaving the field. Porter was more physical than Jones was for the penalized action.

Now wait when did this happen because this is the first I heard of it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

I'm just saying, you were like the poster child for oblivious Steeler fans in the immediate aftermath, and consistently mischaracterizing the situation wasn't going to win you any converts

Oh go gently caress yourself with this stupid "you are the homer but not me I am calling it down the middle" horseshit we are all trying to make sense of a situation from hearsay and replays and don't act like youre somehow the arbiter of objective truth because you saw an 11 second clip differently

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

v2vian man posted:

dude...thats a former mod your talking too

former :twisted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The bigger point is that the NFL desperately needs to reform how it handles this kind of poo poo. It is going to get worse not better.

Agreed. The problem is that there is always going to be poo poo in the margins and any movement of the rules will shift that margins and we are always going to have controversies.

If the refs are harsher, its "god that wasn't worth a flag/ejection"
if the refs are more lenient, its "they are getting away with all sorts of stuff"

You can also try to make it consistent but even then you are dealing with subjective declarations split among different refs at any one time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

No the problem is throwing flags does gently caress all to get things in control, all it does it give temporary relief. It does nothing to stop future problems. Players don't give a poo poo about flags we know this much as this game proves.

Not talking just about flags though, same thing with ejections.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ejections don't happen, that is the problem. No more no less.

I have seen ejections a couple of times this season. I agree with you though, there should be more ejections and things should not get to the point they got last night. What I am saying is that if refs start ejecting more there are going to be controversies about unfair ejections popping up all over the place and that is gonna be a new problem to be handled

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I really wonder what this will do to the rivalry next year. I wonder if its actually going to severely de-escalate for the bengals because of the consequences of the penalties.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Atticus Finch posted:

Someone's gonna die at some point. Hell, it almost happened last night.

yeah its a coin flip between "stay focused on the game, look what happened last time" and "those ffffuuuccckkkkeeerrrrrssss!"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MrLogan posted:

I haven't logged into TFF since the games came on yesterday. Is the general consensus that the referees were complete garbage and gave the game to the Steelers?
I can't remember the last time I saw a game that poorly officiated.

no

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, you know for all the NFL handwringing about the integrity of the game Bengals vs. Steelers is gonna be on primetime next season with the announcers hyping up the most physical rivarly in the NFL

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MrLogan posted:

Wow. That seems insane to me.

There was one bad call the whole game and that was the helmet to helmet from Shazier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Metapod posted:

And that weak rear end penalty for someone getting jakked up

It was helmet to helmet too. The weirdest thing about that game was that call being defenseless receiver and the shazier one not being.

• Locked thread