Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair it could just be Burlict feeling bad he almost murdered a dude.

He should probably wait until the guy regains his memory to apologize then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Revol posted:

Yeah, that was what I was thinking too. He seemed completely out of control. Problem is, I don't see how the refs can explain that. "Ejected for acting like a mindless jackass"? I was surprised that he had kept his cool up until the Brown hit, I for sure thought he was going to go headhunting. His Ben hit, clean. The Brown hit? I want to give benefit of the doubt... I mean, I own a loving Harrison jersey, we all know his history.

And if it hasn't been mentioned yet, Harrison has said that he knows that the hit was against the rules as it goes in the book, but that it shouldn't be a penalty.

It should be a penalty. The responsibility is completely on the defender and they have to reduce the risk of a dangerous hit on a defenseless player as much as reasonably possible. Intent to harm isn't really a thing but disregarding their safety happens all the time. Harrison still doesn't get it but at least he will retire soon.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Burfict was pretty dumb touching Brown as he was being helped off the field. Patting his shoulder from behind... I think in his head he was being sportsmanlike but it was the wrong time and place. Porter told him to gently caress off, essentially acted exactly as he would as a player, and Bengals swarmed in. In my mind all the Bengals should have just stayed the gently caress away.

At that point however both sides were thinking of provoking the next personal foul instead of avoiding it. Joey Porter is really good at instigating so advantage Steelers. That's not really an appropriate role for a coach though.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Shazier's hit was a penalty but I can't recall a flag for that type of hit. Defenseless receiver is the ref trigger. He needs to cut that poo poo out for the safety of everyone involved.

As for how dirty it was, that makes a lot of assumptions about intent. I'm not even sure Burfict intended anything more than a hard hit. But...

Burfict injured Bell, Ben, and AB this season and those are the team's three best players. Basically if one guy took out Emmit Smith, Aikman, and Irvin in one season. Is it coincidence or is causing injuries a part of his game? I don't know but he was a huge dick to the Steelers this year. I don't want to see him on the field against a team I'm rooting for, ever.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

When the play happened in real time it appeared that the flag came out in response to Brown's fall to his back, spread eagle and motionless. As a fan of his I thought it was an act because it was really dramatic and he's never been hurt like that. On replay (which I could believe Adam Jones has never watched) it was clear he was legit hurt.

On the full replay it looks like Porter is completely in the right, Burfict actually swiped at a greyhaired trainer helping Brown off the field and needed to gently caress off. The swarm of Bengals should have pulled Burfict away instead of focusing on Porter. Bizarre.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Goetta posted:

Burfict should get a game suspension just like Harrison did. If he keeps doing it after the suspension then he should get 4, then 8, then a season and so on. I think going from 0 suspensions to 3 games is really weird and does actually smell like media relations poo poo.

I also still don't think he intentionally hit him in the head but that it doesn't really matter what the intent was.

He intentionally hurts people sometimes

No intent can be proven but Bell, Ben, and Brown were all hurt by him, kind of a trifecta

That probably just happened because he's so good at football though, not related to his actual proven pattern of malicious behavior

Oh wait I'm not a rube

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you injure all three star players of your rival in a single season, including the QB twice, while also getting 5 sanctions you have lost the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah this is my point. Viewing each play in a vacuum, I can say it appears Burfict is just playing defense. If you look at his record and the results on the injury report... come the gently caress on, really. The Steelers don't have a chance anymore because Burfict personally inflicted the three injuries I said would sink the team before the season started. And what exactly is the rebuttal to that?

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Volkerball posted:

But enough about James Harrison.

James is a dangerous player but he's more like a terminator than an angry child. He generally plays good hard hitting defense... but he still hasn't internalized that when player is considered defenseless, it's the defender's responsibility to ensure the defenseless player's safety. Which is kinda monstrous given the seriousness of the concussion issue, but at least it's rarer and more random than whatever Burfict is on.

Admittedly, distinctions here might be meaningless to most.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember the year Harrison left we were all like "thank god that black mark on our reputation is gone" and then he came back and we were all like "Harrison-san!"

Absolutely silly reaction since
1. He was often the best player on the field for a good 4-5 years
2. Yeah people will have less ammunition to discredit a team led by Big Ben Roethlisberger

You're a weak as gently caress Steelers fan mang

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Whoa is this a technically correct english sentence it's blowing my mind

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

tk posted:

It's.

Yoooooo

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Not a Wallace fan but after seeing Munchak act I can see why he has a job

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

toxicsunset posted:

The opening scene for the last boy scout is the ideal start to a sporting event

Harrison lands on his feet, walks calmly to huddle/sideline

Also "the receiver ducked into the hit"

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Bad move on the leagues part. After all the uproar, he should have at least been loving fined.

I think this is an indication that by the NFL's interpretation of the rule, it was a clean play. It also leaves the issue open so that they can make a new rule change/emphasis to address that type hit.

Also that play should have been a legit defensive touchdown and Ben/Brown should be healthy, aaaaaaahhhhhh

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

I don't think that Porter did anything wrong or even provocative leading up to the Adam Jones penalty. From what I've heard though he does a lot of jawing in general to the other team which is pretty lovely for someone who isn't on the roster.

The Munchak flag was earned but again a bit overblown, since the hair pull was incidental. I do think he didn't have to get so physical and was mad about a borderline hit out of bounds leading up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Players collide with coaches when pursuing the ball carrier out of bounds all the time. Why do you think a coach pulling a guys arm and hair for it is in any way excusable?

I don't think he meant to pull his hair at all, it got caught in a hand that was holding some papers not anywhere near the dude's head. Afterwards "he pulled his hair" was the narrative, even someone who didn't see the game mentioned it to me.

But yeah his armbar move was inappropriate and he didn't get away with it. Legit flag and as for the 10k I don't really care and neither does anyone else I expect.

• Locked thread