Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Clearly his master plan is to just shove rune spheres INTO tanks and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Cyclone is actually amazing! It's not fist weapon range, it's the range of the weapon you have equipped. Given that there are items that can be forged onto a weapon to up weapon range...

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

I used Escape to teleport back to the entrance… and it sent me to Yokmir Cave. The gently caress rear end hell balls?

You do realize you can just use escape over and over again until you're back in your room right?

Also, was that green dragon back there recruit-able? Cause that would be hilarious!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

mastersord posted:

You do realize you can just use escape over and over again until you're back in your room right?

Also, was that green dragon back there recruit-able? Cause that would be hilarious!

I'm aware of that. My confusion was why it sent me from one dungeon to another completely different unrelated dungeon.

The green dragons (Little Dragon), are in fact tamable, just kinda difficult. I'll eventually probably have a stable full of dragons just for shits and giggles, there are a large variety in the ultimate final postgame dungeon. I'm also still working on my collection of bosses, the ones I haven't picked up yet require a variety of cooked dishes, the recipes for which I don't have yet (turns out royal curry and union stew are actually even harder to brute force than pineapple juice).

Dirk the Average posted:

Cyclone is actually amazing! It's not fist weapon range, it's the range of the weapon you have equipped. Given that there are items that can be forged onto a weapon to up weapon range...

Huh. My initial playing around with it made it seem like it had lower range than comparable abilities (Stardust Upper is my usual choice of AOE attack if I'm going to use one). And yeah, I freely admit I haven't showed off range mechanics as much as I should (I'm not going to actually use a fist that can punch across the entire screen but I'll make one to show off during the wait til Act 3).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Truthkeeper posted:

Huh. My initial playing around with it made it seem like it had lower range than comparable abilities (Stardust Upper is my usual choice of AOE attack if I'm going to use one). And yeah, I freely admit I haven't showed off range mechanics as much as I should (I'm not going to actually use a fist that can punch across the entire screen but I'll make one to show off during the wait til Act 3).

Yeah, cyclone pretty quickly became my go-to ability to use with a range-enhanced long sword. One press of the button would hit the entire screen of enemies multiple times and slam them into the walls/kill them instantly. The other neat thing is that it bounces you away from everything you hit, so you end up naturally evading a lot of enemy attacks while still getting in great damage. It's also super fast to use, has a short cooldown, and you can move while hitting it, so you can incidentally clear out a screen while walking to the other side (and if you time it right, the knockback from hitting enemies will propel you towards your destination!).

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Wait till act 3?

Well, it can't be worse than the thing Rune Factory 1 does.

...right?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The thing is it's (game mechanic spoilers) based off a random event trigger, like basically every character event in the game. You only have a chance for one event a day, and if it doesn't roll the Progress the Plot event, you're poo poo out of luck. You can cheese it by inviting Dylas and Amber to your party, saving, and going to bed. Reload until they leave your party, since that means the event triggered. So it's sort of better since you can get it with minimal in-game waiting if you're patient enough, but sort of worse since there's no definite amount of time to wait if you don't cheese it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, if Dylas and Amber leave the party, that just means some event has occurred, not necessarily the one you're aiming for. Also there may be hidden friendship requirements for it to trigger. It took over an in-game year for me, long enough to get married and have a kid.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

YggiDee posted:

Well, if Dylas and Amber leave the party, that just means some event has occurred, not necessarily the one you're aiming for. Also there may be hidden friendship requirements for it to trigger. It took over an in-game year for me, long enough to get married and have a kid.
IIRC the only villagers who leave the party are the ones directly involved in the event. There might be some other Dylas/Amber events, but not many since they don't really run in the same NPC circles. But yeah, make sure you actually got the relevant event before saving again!

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
Voting to sleep around because all proper heroes have harems.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Just remember! Stabby stabby!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I would like to see the content of the other girls at least.

We can just imagine that these are a series of What Ifs or something.

Edit: Gotta say I still favor Margaret but I am warming to kind of crazy haunted elf girl. Perhaps due to the more events we have seen with her?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 1, 2017

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

I would like to see the content of the other girls at least.

We can just imagine that these are a series of What Ifs or something.

Edit: Gotta say I still favor Margaret but I am warming to kind of crazy haunted elf girl. Perhaps due to the more events we have seen with her?

That's actually not a bad idea! The game has 3 save slots and a New game+ order where you can carry over most of your stuff (see http://fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?p=4749197#p4749197).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

mastersord posted:

That's actually not a bad idea! The game has 3 save slots and a New game+ order where you can carry over most of your stuff (see http://fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?p=4749197#p4749197).

I don't know if I want to have the OP fiddle with multiple saves, but they can just sort of couch the stuff with dating all the other bachelorettes as what-ifs, since a lot of people don't seem to want to see Art as a shameless horndog but a lot of people (me included) also would like to see what the other bachelorettes are like.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I definitely draw the line at screwing about with multiple saves. But the voting seems to have swung toward showing off the relationships with the other girls, and so I shall. There were no strong opinions about which girls people want to see, except that people want to see as many as possible. So I'll go down the list from the previous poll, starting with our other lovely pointy eared lady, Margaret.

Never fear, people who wanted him to stay true to Dolce. Art's still gonna marry her in the end.

Also, this next update is very image heavy, being the end of the act. Be advised.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

A Promise Between Friends

I guess it’s about that time. No more shiny distractions. No more festivals. No more romance. No more enslaving monsters to do my bidding with questionable foods. Just me, a pair of cheerleaders, and the Emperor.

Well, I guess that puts me a pair of cheerleaders ahead of Luke Skywalker, I got that going for me.

At this point, the best way to subvert the player’s expectations would be for Ethelberd to reveal his plan to use the Rune Spheres to bring the world into a new era of peace and harmony where we no longer need to rely on the gods to keep life going and war is a thing of the past.

Yeah, no.

Do you sense my power? Has it made you cower in fear? If so... ...then I'm disappointed in you, Art.

Fear? Mostly you’re just kinda boring me. Ethelberd would be more interesting if he hadn’t spent the whole act running away every time we met. I should have gotten a chance to kick the poo poo out of him when he wasn’t using the spheres, thus proving to him the validity of his plan.

It’s a pretty drat good evil plan though, I must admit.

What...?

Earthmates ... The ones who are loved by the earth and blessed by the runes... I was defeated once before by the one who had the power...when I tried to take over the continent.

Technically, your tank was defeated, and your plan to enslave Terrable was stopped, but Terrable was the one who actually defeated your army of tanks.

But... I'm rather thankful for you meddlesome twerps now. I might even...respect you.

Respect and a creepy unhealthy obsession are not the same thing.

You Earthmates have reached a different stage of being, which humans can never hope to attain. As I see it, Earthmates are the closest beings to the gods.

In the sense that I have a god (-dragon-king-mayor) for a roommate, yes that’s true. In any other way? This guy is loving crazy.

What are you talking about...?

So if you're one of them... I trust you won't disappoint me!

So be it then. I’ll also use my own hands to rip out your trachea.

And so the decisive final battle began!

Ethelberd’s not so tough. He has a lot of health, but a few good punches will tap that out. His attacks hit hard, but are mostly easy to dodge.

This one, however, is a pain to dodge (you have to get into one of the little corner areas like the ones Ethelberd and I are standing in) and I’m pretty sure it’s still capable of one-shotting me. The girls never had a chance.

But all things come to an end in time, especially boss fights. Cool, emperor is defeated, world is saved, cue cred—

Oh. Right. Final boss. Multiple rounds. Of course. What was the first RPG that pulled this? The earliest I can think of is Final Fantasy 5, but I’m pretty sure there were others long before it.

This...is the power I've been longing for!

What are you babbling about?

I’ve been asking that same question pretty much ever since he showed up back in Idra Cave.

I was naive and foolish before. I see that now. To take over the world was my desire, but... You Earthmates gave me the chance to see how small my desire truly was.

From a normal person this would be an admission of wrongdoing and an attempt to seek mercy, or redemption, or some poo poo. Ethelberd is just trailing into extra-crazy.

Even if humans can rule the world... Humans are just humans. We can never be gods. It is simply beyond us. However... What about Earthmates ? If I were to obtain the very power that once destroyed my ambitions... If I could be the one who wields the magic that seals even the Holy Dragons...

NO! It does not work that way!

And so I've finally found that which I've been seeking...

The Rune Spheres!

Wow Art, nothing gets past you.

...! So that's it? That's your master plan? That's why you wanted the Rune Spheres?

You speak as if it's an unworthy goal...

I doubt your sanity more than your motivations. At this point I half suspect that everybody in the empire except those three guards I fought is dead now, either worked to death in Ethelberd’s quest for power, on some kind of slave assembly line searching for rune spheres and building tanks. The rest he probably sacrificed on some kind of giant altar dedicated to himself.

Wow that got dark.

After I was defeated by the hands of an Earthmate ... I began scouring the world for some means of becoming one. Of becoming just like you... I did everything I could to find the secret! I searched and searched and searched and searched and searched and searched!!

You might have thought I was exaggerating before, but no. Ever since RF1, Ethelberd has let this one thing control his entire existence. The man is obsessed.

And finally...I found it! I found the way! I found... the key! Gaze upon me, Earthmate !

Okay, back to fighting. Now he’s a little glowy, big deal. Just a little more punching action, it’s not like—yeah he’s loving invulnerable now. He claims the spheres give him the powers of an Earthmate, where the hell’s my bubble of invincibility?

But yeah, this is a hopeless battle that ends when he eventually pastes me.

He’s much stronger in this form too.

Hahaha... Hahahahahaha... HEEEAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Yeah, sure, mad cackling sure is a thing sane and rational people do.

I have no idea what this is actually supposed to sound like with the alternating caps, so my brain supplied the auditory image of Ethelberd having a creepy echo, where he’s simultaneously talking normally and shouting insanely.

Honestly I guess he does everything insanely now. This man is not well.

THiS iS The PoWeR oF THe RuNe SPHeRe !! i FeeL iT WiTHiN Me! THeRe iS No PaiN... i aM WiTHouT LiMiTS... iT iS GLoRiouS... i aM a GoD!

Please, you haven’t even blown a single city off the map. Kefka would scoff.

drat... I can't lose now! Not after all this! I...will...save...Venti... I promised her I would!

HMPH...aRe You STiLL CLiNGiNG To THoSe FaLSe HoPeS? HoW LoNG Do You PLaN oN PLaCiNG FaiTH iN a HaLF-DeaD GoD?! THaT HuSK oF a DRaGoN No LoNGeR HaS aNy PuRPoSe. She iS LiTTLe MoRe THaN a DooRSToP! i aM THe oNe WiTH THe PoWeR oF THe GoDS aT My DiSPoSaL NoW. TReMBLe BeFoRe Me!!

You'll never understand... You can never understand... Venti is... Venti is my precious friend. When I lost my memory and came to Selphia... She took care of me and became a very dear friend... And I don't want a selfish bastard like you dismissing her. You know nothing about her!

... You BoRe Me. You'Re BoRiNG, BoRiNG, BBOORRIINNGG, eaRTHMaTe !! i'Ve HaD eNouGH oF YouR SNiVeLiNG. The TRiVia oF YouR MoRTaL LiFe iS uNiMPoRTaNT To Me.

Then why did you ask?

Huh. Those looked like cannon shots. Who the hell has cannons around here, I thought I wrecked all the tanks already?

Holy poo poo Norad actually does have an army! They’re late to the point of uselessness, but they exist! I thought those guys around town in guard uniforms were just cosplayers or something!

We neutralized the center of the Floating Empire!

And we brought some big help back with us!

Ooh, did you fly to Alvarna to grab Kyle? Or hunt down Raguna? More Earthmates would probably turn the tide of this fight, and a teamup between the RF protagonists would be cool. I’d even settle for Micah.

So...

Let's defeat Ethelberd!

And go back home together!

Oh.

Yeah a dragon king mayor god is also good.

But… I can’t help but notice that we aren’t in Selphia. Again.

A-are you...all right?

...You've got quite a look on your face...

O-of course I do! I...I...

You got back one of the Rune Spheres, no? That's how I was able...to...

Venti...

Heh. Why are you smiling? Did you miss me that much?

I certainly did. Ventuswill, for all her lying and manipulation, is still the best drat character in this game.

I see. ...I missed you, too.

Venti...

So, that's our enemy?

Yeah.

...I see. He has an enormous amount of rune power in him. That's the power bestowed by the Rune Spheres, is it? It's much too much for a human to bear.

I suddenly find myself wondering if it’s possible to forcibly turn somebody into a Guardian. Of course, we’ve already seen that the rune spheres can turn people into monsters with the Etherlink spell, presumably he’ll just summon something big and badass (maybe some form of giant tank monster) and take it over.

...Sorry, Venti.

For what?

I promised you I'd get back all the Rune spheres, but I... I couldn't...

Are you saying you've given up already?

What?

Well, we're going to get those Rune Spheres back from him right now, you and I. Just as promised. Okay?

And then we’re going to eat the son of a bitch!

Venti... All right! I'm ready for this!

aRe You TWo FiNiSHeD TaLKiNG NoW? CaN The SLauGHTeR ReSuMe? LeT'S GeT THiS oVeR WiTH, NaTiVe DRaGoN aND eaRTHMaTe !

Hmph... Who do you think you're talking to, human?

HuMaN...? ...HMPH! aBSuRD! i aM NoT SuCH aN iNSiGNiFiCaNT CReaTuRe aNyMoRe.

Oh?

i aM aN eaRTHMaTe , BLeSSeD By THe eaRTH aND iTS RuNeS! HuMaNS aRE NoTHiNG To Me NoW. THeY aRe BuT PaTHeTiC aNTS... NoT eVeN WoRTH FiGHTiNG!

Besides being crazy, he also clearly knows nothing about how Earthmates work. He’s probably never planted a turnip in his life!

Ngh...! How foolish... Earthmates are humans themselves. And your power is nothing more than a sham. A pathetic imitation of something greater than you. If the power you use exceeds your capacity, your body will collapse like a rag doll's.

...You'Re RiGHT. THiS SHeLL CaNNoT HoST THe SouL oF a GoD. THeReFoRe, iT iS iNeViTaBLe. aND WHeN My BoDY CoLLaPSeS... i WiLL aBaNDoN THiS HuSK aND SuBLiMaTe iNTo a PRoPeR GoD!

And now Ethelberd thinks he’s the God-Emperor of Mankind.

...There's no point talking with him anymore. He's gone off the deep end.

Well I could have told you that.

drat decent of Venti to top me off.

And so Art and Ventuswill battled side by side!

Remember what I said about big monsters being kind of a hindrance because you can’t see what you’re fighting? Yeah that’s still a thing. On the plus side, this fight goes just like before, but has switched from unwinnable to unlosable, as Venti will heal you whenever you die.

So, that went well. Awesome! I beat the final boss of a main series Rune Factory game and for once it wasn’t a dragon god!

And then he started fading out of existence.

...Haha... ...Hahahahaha...

Again with the mad laughter. But at least he seems to be talking normally again.

Wonderful... Magnificent! You are TRuLy iMPReSSiVe, Native Dragon ...and you as well, eaRTHMaTe!

Welp. Spoke too soon.

Just as I eXPeCTeD... I was right... It was all correct... It was all just as I'd iMaGiNeD!

Dragon Gods are loving awesome? No poo poo!

...He's finished. It was obvious this would happen if he tried to use that much rune power.

I...am...the KiNG of the world... I want more PoWeR...power to destroy everything...oVeRWHeLMiNG power...
I've been longing for it... for so many years... To possess...that power... That was my only desire... To take over...the world... And... Finally...I found it... The power...of the Rune Spheres!

Okay, he seems to be dropping back down to normal. Or what passes for normal around here.

You still don't get it, do you? Pathetic human... Humans can't become gods. They will always be humans, no matter what. It doesn't matter what lofty ends you desire. No one can be some- thing they're not. But that's why everything, and everyone, is precious. In equal measure.

No...

You deny this truth?

It's nothing more than...an excuse...invented by those... who gave up their ambitions. I'm different... I will not be held back by such a minor...HuRDLe... I will not be satisfied with a VeSSeL like this. These Rune Spheres have enough power to change things. To change the very nature of life... Native Dragon, you do understand my meaning...do you not? Although you should have been reborn, how is it you can still stay here in this world? You know what it is that makes that possible...don't you?

I can see it clearly... I received the power of the Rune Spheres . The same power that flows through you. And now that you've lost your power, the flame of your existence is flickering...fading...

...!

What the hell? She was fine until Ethelberd reminded her she wasn’t?

Venti!

It seems I used too much power... ...As he said...I, too, am dying.

Let's get back the other Rune Spheres, then!

No...

What...?

My body should have collapsed... long, long ago. The Guardians have been halting its progress all this time.
I survived...by twisting and draining their life energies.

Everything has meaning. So, too, do the Rune Spheres. Their purposes were supposed to have been determined when they were born. If I use them for my own selfish ends... ...then I'm no different than he...

On the one hand, kicking the natural course of life and death in the nuts because you don’t want your friend to die is wrong. On the other hand, what purpose do the rune spheres serve, if not this? Unless my joke earlier about them ushering in a new post-deity age actually had something to it.

Venti...

...But...! Listen to me, Emperor of Sechs. The stones are neither for saving my life... ...nor for transforming a human into an Earthmate or a god. Runes are the essence of vitality. They grant life to everything on and in the ground! Even if you should try to change their purpose, bending it to your own selfish needs... I, Wind Dragon Ventuswill, will not allow it! As a Native Dragon I swear, it shall not stand!

Do you...understand what that means...? It means...you have to die, too...

...Maybe so... But... In spite of knowing the fate that awaits me, this is my duty. If I should ignore it...
How can I take pride in anything I've ever done? How could I ever say, without hesitation... ...that I am truly glad to have been born into this world as a Native Dragon?

...!

Haha... I think you misunderstand one thing about me.

And what might that be?

I, too, am proud of myself and what I've done in my life... And the goal I spent my life trying to achieve... ...is to abandon this human body and become a god. And... ...the Rune Spheres I possess... ...along with the circumstances that have brought them into my possession...
...can make my dream a reality!

Huh. That’s interesting. He didn’t cast Omni-Gate to summon a monster this time. What is there for him to Etherlink into besides… oh. Right. Final boss of a main series Rune Factory game.

Well gently caress! But there’s plenty of time as she slowly gets sucked into his magical vortex, maybe I can sucker punch him and… nope. I’m left running around, completely impotent.

Did you forget, Earthmate ...? What I have been studying through my use of the Rune Spheres ... ...is a means of obtaining the power of an Earthmate as a human. Then, by using that power, combining human and monster into one entity! And then... ...through that technique... becoming a true...honest-to- goodness... ...Native Dragon! To transform a human into a Native Dragon...into a god! That is what I seek!

No! You mustn't!

VENTI!!

Hahaha... Earthmate of Selphia, why are you so upset? Did I not warn you well in advance? I said, even if you don't come to me, I will most assuredly come to you! I was thinking about destroying you first, as you are the biggest obstacle to my success... But since the Native Dragon came right to my door, this whole plan suddenly become more convenient.

Huh. Well. So we contributed directly to his plan. Well played crazy grandpa. Well played.

Ghh...!

Now! Become a part of me! Grant me your godly powers!

VENTI!! No! I can't let this happen!

Oh good. She’s perfectly okay. I guess she ate him or something at the last second.

...Ven...ti...?

Hey, Venti...

Hahaha... GYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Yes...! This is exactly what I wanted! Now I have the power of a god and the vessel to match it! This is the perfect form for a conqueror! It's wonderful! Positively stunning!

Well, this is less than ideal.

What…? Ghah...!

Art...

Venti?!

Please... Defeat...me...

...?!

Send me back to the Forest of Beginnings with him... It's the only chance...we have... to stop this...

But...!

Plea...se...! Stop...him... ...Ghhhaaahh... Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh... Ghhhaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!

Ventiiiiiiii!!!

Ugh...! That foolish dragon just doesn't know when to give up! But, she was worshipped as a god all this time. It stands to reason she'd fight me to the end. ...Now, then... How do you like it, Earthmate ? Do you like my new look? Does Ventuswill's skin suit me? Am I... beautiful?

On top of all of his various psychoses, I am not remotely prepared to start troubleshooting Ethelberd’s sexuality.

Poor Art... I feel sorry for you... I warned you once...but you ignored me. And now look what's happened!

But...not to worry. The power of Ventuswill that now flows within me...the power you couldn't protect... ...will be put to good use... ...as your new god... ...and the future ruler of this entire world!

Ethelberd...!

Ah, I know... As a token of my gratitude toward the Native Dragon, and you who made this all possible...
...I shall make my first order of business the burning of the town of Selphia to ashes! Surely the good Lady Ventuswill would be pleased with such a humble offering, no?

ETHELBEEEEERD...!

Hahaha! Come, Earthmate! I will make you feel the same sense of humiliation and frustration as I! You will crawl there helplessly in despair and self-loathing!

Alright, this looks bad, and Ventuswill is clearly a lost cause, but at least I can save the world. All I have to do is punch a dragon god to death. Piece of cake.

Also, Dolce and Forte bailed on me when Venti showed up. I guess they hitched a ride on the airship.

At least it’s a cool final boss theme. Epic and menacing.

And now I will punch God (mayor king dragon) in the face.

Huh. Welp. We’re hosed. Time to bend over and kiss my rear end goodbye.

...drat...it... I...have...to...stop...him...

Hahaha... GUAAAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!! Good...gooooood... That's very good, Earthmate !
This is exactly what I wanted to see! I wanted to see one of your kind, who once struck me down, crawl upon the ground like an insect!

...Ugh...

You Earthmates do deserve some measure of respect, to be sure. For you are the only ones who've ever humbled me. However... I will not forget that humiliation...that suffering... I will never forget it... Earthmate ...! For days, for years, for decades! Again and again and again and again! I will never forget!! I've dreamed of it so many times... I dreamed about the day I was defeated by the likes of you. So many times...every night...

...What...are you talking about?

He’s talking about the obsession that drove him crazy.

Every time I dreamed about it, it broke my heart. Broke it in two, three, four, five thousand pieces... So...Please accept this token of my... appreciation... Suffer... Suffer! SUFFER! /WRITHE! AGONIZE! GRIEVE! LANGUISH! SUFFER! SUFFER!! SUFFER!! SSUUFFFFEERR!!!!/

...and when... ...you've been... ...dealt...with... I will see to it that all of your kind is exterminated from this plane...Earthmate. But before I kill you...I will take great pleasure...in annihilating everything you love.

No! Please, not my Pokemon cards! Also, please, not my girlfriend!

To a lesser extent, please, not those guys, I guess.

Well poo poo.

Hahaha.. If they're precious to you, then why don't you protect them? ...Oh, that's right. Because you can't!
After all, you couldn't even save the Holy Dragon as she suffered right in front of you. GUAAAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!! So, what's next...?

...S-stop...

Don't force yourself, Art. Just stay there and enjoy the show. I want you to see me destroying everything that's precious to you...one...by...one... GUAAAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!

... ...I have...to...stop him... But... ...I have no...strength...left...

Ah well. It’s definitely not a standard ending, but it takes a pretty ballsy developer to have a game end with the bad guy winning like that. Roll cred—

Oh, right.

Wow, that charm just keeps pulling extra shifts.

GAH! poo poo that’s loving creepy! Pull the camera back!

I thought I was the only one who had one of Venti’s special feather charms! I feel so betrayed!

And you’re doing that… how exactly?

Only slightly less creepy! Extreme close-ups are not required!

Okay, that makes a lot more sense than whatever VIshnal was going on about.

Well, nice to see that Dolce made it out okay, however it was that she left.

I have to admit, I really love this scene, and even teared up just a bit while playing it again. As much as I complained that nobody around here ever does anything to save themselves unless Art asks them to go with him, actually seeing them all gathering together trying to turn their well wishes into power to help Art is heartwarming.

Still kinda wish Arthur had rammed Ethelwill with the airship though. That probably would have helped too.

Noticeably, there’s no dialogue change if you happen to be dating anybody, I guess it wasn’t necessary, but it would have been nice.

What she means is that she wants Art’s lower horn.

Which is why you’re standing on top of a tower out in the middle of nowhere.

You were literally there with me! And then you left!

Well destroying things with my own two hands is what I do.

I mustn't give in! I have to do everything in my power to stop this!

So, you're still struggling in vain, are you?

I will rise up against you as many times as it takes. Because I'm not alone. Everyone in Selphia is waiting for our return!

Hahaha... How touching! You're quite the dreamer, Earthmate! It seems I'll need to break your spirits all over again... Just as mine were broken and left for dead... ...again and again... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

For those of you not paying attention, that is a huge loving stat boost I’ve suddenly got. I guess the collected prayers of Selphia are pretty potent.

Now I’m ready to go toe to toe with a god. Dragon. Mayor. King. Emperor. rear end in a top hat. Mad scientist. Lunatic. Whatever.

I’m dealing about twenty times as much damage per punch now. It’s a good thing.

All Ethelwill really has going for him is summoning tornadoes and biting. It’s not a difficult fight at this point at all.

What else you got, huh?

He’s got an ultimate final form, because WHY THE gently caress NOT?

The only difficult thing about this fight is hitting him, as he flies around and you can only hit him while he’s in front of you here. Also, it’s a small platform and he’s a bit happy with projectiles sometimes.

You can also hit him when he attacks from the side like this. I did express a desire to punch Ethelberd in the face.

Why is his final form a giant winged fish? Is it some kind of reverse Magikarp?

As is common, the mysterious appeared from nowhere final boss arena vanishes when I beat said boss.

...Look at your face. You're a mess! ...I told you before, remember? ...Nothing's impossible...

Venti...

I-I don't understand... This...cannot be! How could a god lose to a mere human?!

As much time as he’s spent studying the Native Dragons, you’d think he would remember the last time this happened. Or the time before that. Or the time before that, which he was personally present for. Do we add senility to his list of symptoms?

I had divine power on my side! And...and even a divine body...

You had nothing.

What...?

None of that amounted to anything at all. Not where it counts. You never actually had control over the power of a Native Dragon or even an Earthmate. You were pulling the strings for one dark moment...but the power was ours. It was always ours.

No! I had...everything...! But...you, Earthmate ! You destroyed it all again! Just like before!

You weren't even defeated by an Earthmate. You were defeated by an ordinary human.

Well, an Earthmate being powered up by a lot of ordinary humans.

...! That's impossible!

Power comes from the heart. It's not something tangible or measurable.

Says you. I’ve got exact measurements of how powerful I am.

And you can never possess someone else's heart unless they give it to you willingly. Which is why I did just that. I handed my heart over to another. To many others. I gave them my thoughts and my passions. To ordinary humans.

...No... Was I...defeated by humans...? I became an Earthmate and even surpassed a Native Dragon! And yet, I was brought down by... mere humans... GUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!

He’s taking it pretty well.

No! No, it can't be! I can't accept this! I can never accept this! Never...never...never... NEVER!!

...Wh-what...?

His runes are being dragged into the Forest of Beginnings...

That means...

Yes. He used too much of the Rune Spheres' power for his human body to contain it. He's on the verge of collapse.

Hahaha... I knew it! I'm no longer... human... This is the proof...

Yes, you turned into a monster, well done.

Look at this! Earthmate!! I'm going back to the forest as a god! Admit it, Earthmate! My existence... My dignity...
I am... a dying...god!

So ends the tale of the mad emperor, Ethelberd of the Sechs Empire.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 3, 2017

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Once There Was a God in This Town

He clung to his delusion until the very end. What a pity.

...But...

Venti! Are you all right?!

...Yes...Somehow...

Thank goodness!

Well done, Art. You defeated Ethelberd. It must have been quite an ordeal.

Not at all. Because I wasn't alone. I had everyone else by my side.

I see... I don't know how I can ever repay you for risking your life on my behalf. Thank you. Thank you for saving me, Art.

Venti... ...I'm not the only one who saved you. Everyone in town fought alongside me. You should thank them too.

...You're right. Once we get home, I need to thank every single person in Selphia. Hop on my back, Art. Let's head on home.

You got it!

And so the emperor was defeated, Ventuswill was saved, and Art and Ventuswill flew off into the sunrise.

Finally, at last ROLL CREDITS!

Well, again, we already got them at the end of Act 1.

But wait, there’re more!

You live in a literal castle. A castle of three rooms, admittedly, but a castle nonetheless.

I feel like I've been fighting forever.

Yes, it's been a long day indeed. I'm...a bit tired myself.

Well that’s normal, I did kinda beat the poo poo out of you while empowered by the entire town.

Venti...?

Hi, everyone! I knew you'd come back!

We may have helped a little, but this is your victory most of all, Art!

I was so moved by your brave actions! Even if I couldn't actually see them, I knew they were happening!

It wasn't just me. I was able to win this battle because of everyone's prayers. You all had a hand in it.

And so once again, the day is saved, thanks to the citizens of Selphia!

You must be tired too, Ven.

...Yes.

...Hmm? Are you all right?

Uh...

Well, that’s not suspicious at all!

Art!!

That must be Margaret!

They're back from the ruins!

The timeframe for their return does seem plausible. But it could be a trap!

B-but why would it be, exactly?

It's just my instincts as a detective!

I can see things are back to normal here.

I owe everyone a real debt of gratitude. I'm going to go give my thanks. See you later, Venti!

...Take care.

Great job, Art!

Thanks. I couldn't have done it by myself, though!

You sure did a wonderful job, Art. You must be exhausted.

It was fantastic! I was so moved by what was happening around me!

Why don't you say something too, Dylas? ♪

...Oh. Well, you know... Good job. You...did well.

High praise from the horseman.

Hahaha! What was that? Stop being such a shybaby! This is a time for celebration!

Indeed it is! And what better way to celebrate than with a kiss from moi?

I can think of at least 6 other people in line before you Porco. Probably more.

Porco, that's going too far!

It almost feels like a dream. ...But I'm not dreaming, am I?

Oh! I have something perfect for you, Clorica. I call it a "Cheek Pincher." It lets you check to see if you're dreaming.

With a name like that, I'd say it's pretty obvious how it works...

By the way, where's Doug? I haven't seen him just yet.

Uh...

Oh, right, Doug and Arthur are dead. That kinda sucks the merriment out of things.

W-wait...

No...don't you dare tell me...!

It's the airship!

What...?!

poo poo! Zombies! Where’s my baseball bat?

Huh, they don’t look dead.

Arthur! Doug! I'm so glad you two are okay!

Of course we are! How could I die in a place like that?!

Don't know how we did it, but we did it. We made it through. But I have to admit that it was very, very close.

You two... Thanks so much for coming to help.

Heh.

I promised you I'd do everything in my power, didn't I?

Doug! Oh, dear Doug, you're alive!

Wh-what?! Granny Blossom! ...Course I am... H-hey, what's with the vice grip? Granny Blossom?! S-stop! They're all looking at us!

There's no need to be embarrassed.

Blossom must have been terribly worried. Let her at least hug you!

Wait! What happened to Ethelberd...? And Ventuswill!?

That's right! After Ethelberd took over...!

Don't worry. I defeated Ethelberd, and took back both Venti and the Rune Spheres!

For serious?!

I'm ecstatic to hear that. And where are the Rune Spheres now? Right here. Let me hold onto them for the moment, please. I'll order the capital to have them set in place right away. And of course, I'll make sure they're fully secured this time.

Thanks a bunch!

Now, what say we go visit Lady Ventuswill?

S-sure.

I think I'll go thank the others.

All right.

Phew... I'm glad that's over. Gotta admit, I was pretty drat worried.

You don't look it now. You look sickeningly happy now, actually.

Sh...shut up!

So do you, Dylas. Now that you know Doug's okay.

Wha...?!

Haha. You two just can't get enough of each other.

WHAT?! THAT'S NOT TRUE!!

Seriously, this isn’t even subtext anymore, it’s just text.

"We were so worried! Especially milady!"

Way to go, Art! I heard all about your accomplishments from Lady Ventuswill!

Seems like you were outstanding! Just as expected! ♪

I couldn't have done it without everyone else's help. Thank you.

No, we should be the ones thanking you. Thank you so much for bearing the weight of our passions and hearing our thoughts.

So...not bad, Art.

"Here she goes again..."

Thanks, Dolly. I was really encouraged... when you told me to come home safely.

Wha...?!

"Ooh, so that's what you prayed for, huh?"

How sweet of you, Dolly!

Mmm, I had no idea! ♪

Wait! Kiel, don't you dare—

Don't worry, I know! ♪

...Fine, then.

I'll make sure to tell everyone exactly what happened, so there are no misunderstandings!

One of these days they’re going to find this kid face down in the canal.

What?!

That sounds lovely.

Now h-hold on a second!

I'll wander around town a little more, I think.

Out of all of them, the bit here between Art and Dolce has the most romantic subtext to it.

How are you, Art? Are you uninjured?

We saw Lady Ventuswill on our way back.

Your Majesty! That was utterly magnificent!

You were not badly injured, yes? I was very worried.

I'm truly sorry that I couldn't accompany you. As a knight, it would've been my honor.

You did accompany me. I still want to know when and how you and Dolce vanished.

We all prayed a lot so that you'd win!

You're the hero of this town, Your Majesty!

Um, err...

Sheesh. Why don't you all calm down a little?

Oh, Leon!

That's my name. Don't wear it out.

Thank you very much for helping me. Of course, I need to thank each and every each one of you.
I couldn't have saved Venti if it weren't for all of your efforts.

I'm glad we placed our hopes on you. Thank you, Art.

I finally found you! And you're with everyone else! Excellent. Will you all come to the restaurant, please?

The restaurant? Why?

Porco and Dylas are preparing special dishes in celebration. We're having a party today! ♪

I've asked the kingdom to hold off on their official thanks so we could have time to unwind.

Given that you’ve been back twenty minutes, unless you have a phone hidden in all that junk in your room, I assume you’re sending messages by pigeon or something.

Oh. Then we should invite Venti, too.

Lady Ventuswill won't be attending.

Huh...?

She said that the whole restaurant would collapse if she tried to fit inside it.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Haha. That's true!

I must say, she looked quite tired, too. She could use some quiet. It must have been a long and exhausting day for her...

But you'll join us, right, Art?

Things would not be the same if you were not here!

Of course!

Yay! Then let's go!

We'll join you all after we see Venti.

Okay. We'll be waiting.

And so the people of Selphia gathered together in celebration.

But later…

Huh. Must have been one damned solid ghost considering Art rode her back to town.

Art and Venti get the best subtext, I would have married her if she was an option.

That is a terrible thing to ask somebody.

It’s true.

She was the only dragon god that wasn’t a colossal rear end in a top hat. Okay, that’s not fair, Terrable wasn’t so bad, but he wasn’t chatty like Ventuswill.

This talk of memories makes me think of a Rune Factory/Big O crossover. I’m not sure how it would work.

You have no way of judging that. For all you know, your life was amazing before you came to Selphia.

That’s not how death works kid.

And so ends the tale of Ventuswill, the Divine Wind.

But life goes on even after your god dies. Not sure how that religion works.

We were in mourning for a long time...

...but everyone's lives are more or less back to normal now.

Every now and again, though, we'll get the feeling that something important is missing...

The Sechs Empire retreated soon after the fall of their emperor.

Envoys are being sent from Norad for diplomatic relations.

Now that Ethelberd's gone, Sechs seems to have entered into a period of radical change.

Arthur says it could transform the political landscape in a very positive way.

But really, isn't that to be expected? Enemies or no, they're still human beings.

As for me...

I've been living life just like I had been -- like everyone else in this town.

Although my heart feels a little emptier than before after Venti's departure...

...I constantly remind myself that I've gained just as much as I've lost.

I still can't remember who I was before coming here.

However...

These new memories I've made are ones I can look back on with pride.

They're memories of beautiful times spent with dear friends.

I wonder if she's watching over us from afar...

Once there was a god in this town.

She took the form of a dragon, but spoke the language of humans.

As much as she loved us, she was afraid of getting hurt, so she remained distant for a long time.

She was a truly caring god.

And though she's now gone...

...we must move forward with our lives, working toward a blissful future.

Through both happiness and hardships...

...we must live every day here, toiling as we mortals are wont to do. Toiling together, in harmony.

That was...

...the last promise I made with my first friend.

Once there was a god in this town.

And I was her friend.

ACT II - END

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 3, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And the moral of the story is, nothing is free from the circle of life. Not even your god dragon king mayors. :rip:

Truthkeeper posted:

Ooh, did you fly to Alvarna to grab Kyle? Or hunt down Raguna? More Earthmates would probably turn the tide of this fight, and a teamup between the RF protagonists would be cool. I’d even settle for Micah.
Wow, racist.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

Venti! Are you all right?!

I think you have the wrong image here.

What a bittersweet ending! For just act 1, huh? I bet there's a way for you to get her back.
And yeah I'm looking forward to Margaret's conversations then, she was my favorite bachelorette, but Dolce has worked out pretty well pretty still and I've warmed up to her. The extra interactions with her due to her being the chosen girl helps a lot.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Some prime avatar material right there, just saying.

Also holy gently caress that just punches you right in the gut at the last second, doesn't it? I didn't expect to get a tear in my eye for a snarky birdlizard, but here we are.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I know it's not really a fair comparison considering this is the 4th (6th? whatever) game in the series but the canyon in quality between RF1 & 4's stories is something else.
and the harvest moons that have a story, i suppose

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Wow. That's a hell of a scene. And we aren't done yet? There's a lot to this game, huh?

I still love Ethelberd. Everything about him is on that perfect edge of ridiculousness.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Interlude: Let's Talk About Ethelberd

It's pretty easy to dismiss Ethelberd as just another insane dictator whose lust for power has overtaken him. Because really, that's all there is to him, right? Let's examine him in detail.

(First picture unabashedly stolen from LordHippoman. Go read his LP of RF1 if you haven't already)

He's got kind of a poncy aristocrat look to him in the first, while in the latter he's gone full bore crazy wizard. Still, he looks pretty good for a man who might well be in his 80s by now, depending on how old he was in RF1 and just how long the timeskips between games were. He's also clearly spent a lot less time in the sun, and possibly hasn't changed his clothes in years.

Let's think back to RF1. He was a bit mad, definitely the bad guy, hungry for power and conquest, but not the cacklingly insane madman RF4 presents. He had a cunning plan to seize control of a dragon god utilizing a combination of Earthmate power and Sechs technology. Everything went exactly according to plan, except for the minor detail of the Earthmate wrecking all his stuff, and then sending his newly enslaved god back to the Forest. Fine, big deal, the plan didn't work out, these things happen. He had a plan B, and realistically, it's not like Norad had anything to defend against an armor division anyway, the whole thing with enslaving a god was probably overkill. It was probably what screwed him too. Every indication is that Terrable came back to save Kardia either as personal vengeance against the Sechs or as a favor to Raguna for saving him. If Ethelberd had just led off with the tanks, he probably would have won. More importantly though, he saw firsthand as the power he tried to claim as his own was turned against him, wiping out the entire military strength of Sechs.

That kind of thing probably sticks with you. He didn't seem overly bothered by it at the time (Grr, my evil plan has been foiled by that meddling Earthmate and his stupid god). But like the man said, it haunted him at night. Maybe some form of PTSD, maybe he's just the kind of guy who spends too much time reflecting on his failures, but he remembered. And kept remembering. The time skip between RF1 and RF4 is pretty long (bare minimum 20 years, possibly as long as 40). And he spent all those years falling further into madness, even as he sought new ways to gain the power of the gods. He's not Kefka or Ganon, he wasn't born into his madness, he developed it, nurtured it. Earthmates grow turnips, but Ethelberd's is a garden of insanity and complexes. There was a brief mention in one of the later games that the whole empire went through a brief bout of insanity (covering up why the empire had spontaneously changed names to Zzyzx), maybe it was related.

So he started out just wanting to control the power of a god as part of his plan of conquest. After snapping like a twig, he wanted that power for it's own sake. After all, if he becomes a god, he never has to worry about being thwarted by a power greater than his own again. The man is the Emperor. He either took control of Sechs himself (if he's the first) or was born into power (if he's part of a lineage, I think this one is more likely, he's got that aristocratic ponce look to him in RF1). Either way, the concept of dealing with somebody more powerful than himself is probably quite foreign to him by now. So after he was beaten in RF1, he throws himself into studying swordplay. Not good enough, still not a god. He learns all the magic he can find in Sechs, and whoever trades with Sechs, and wherever he can travel. It isn't enough, he's still not a god. He rebuilds the imperial military, building bigger and better tanks! They're more powerful than ever before, and no country can hope to stand before them! Ethelberd is in a position to take over the world like he never was before!

But he isn't a god, so what good is it? If a scaly winged lizard can just show up at any time and smack him down, then any power he has is meaningless. He needs more. Ne needs that power, to be one of them. He associates Earthmates with dragon gods because he was facing down with Raguna when Terrable attacked. Raguna foiled his plans then, clearly Earthmates are an order above humans, and the gods an order above them. And so he needs to become an Earthmate first, then he can become a god.

There's absolutely nothing supporting this, but I like to think that Ethelberd's attempts to find a way to become an Earthmate threw up a lot of dust among researchers around the world, and led to somebody in Norad discovering the Rune Spheres and realizing they could save Ventuswill. The timing is just too convenient otherwise. The Empire probably has numerous sleeper agents, like Doug, scattered in cities, towns, and villages around the world, especially in places close to the gods like Selphia, waiting to hear anything useful to Ethelberd's quest. Doug reports that a source of incredible rune power has appeared in Selphia, and Ethelberd is able to corroborate it with the Rune Spheres he's read about, which is why he knows how to use them for casting Earthmate spells like Etherlink and Omni-Gate. Everything else, especially creating god clones, is something he needed to work out, hence the laboratory in Idra Cave.

In the end, what did Ethelberd achieve? He flooded his body with so much rune power that his soul was pulled to the Forest of Beginnings upon his death like a common monster. His empire didn't collapse (lending credence to my much earlier theory that somebody competent and sane is actually handling the day-to-day matters of ruling while Ethelberd builds tanks and clones gods), and is entering a new era of presumed peace and prosperity. Ventuswill is dead, but a new Divine Wind Dragon will be born to take her place, the balance of the cycle restored. Depending on how well the new trade agreements go between Norad and Sechs, Norad might gain access to their advanced technology, whereas I get the feeling Norad farming techniques would go a long way toward helping the people of Sechs. I'd suggest Art should be pressed into civil service, as an ambassador or something, but frankly he's best left where he is, doing what he does. Grow turnips, woo lovely ladies, and punch monsters.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That just makes me want a new RF game where you get to travel through the towns of earlier RFs and help them coordinate their new era of peace(until something inevitably goes wrong, because there needs to be dramatic tension).

Or any new RF game, really. :smith:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So how much time before Venti gets a new body?

Truthkeeper posted:

What the hell? She was fine until he reminded her he wasn’t?

WHAT?! THAT'S NOT TRUE!!

second one needs Doug instead of Arthur.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Zagglezig posted:

So how much time before Venti gets a new body?

about 1-10 in-game years, depending on whether or not you like to save-spam town events

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Haifisch posted:

And the moral of the story is, nothing is free from the circle of life. Not even your god dragon king mayors. :rip:

Wow, racist.

I don't hate sheepmen. I just don't like them moving in around here and bringing down my property values. I'm not racist, some of my best friends are sheepmen.

ousire posted:

Also holy gently caress that just punches you right in the gut at the last second, doesn't it? I didn't expect to get a tear in my eye for a snarky birdlizard, but here we are.

Seriously. I think this is the only Rune Factory where I actually got emotionally invested.

LordHippoman posted:

Wow. That's a hell of a scene. And we aren't done yet? There's a lot to this game, huh?

A variable, but possibly very long time to unlock the last dungeon, plus a post-game random dungeon similar to the World of Fields, but larger and higher level. Also Leon Karnak is supposed to be done now, but I did it out of sequence cause I could.

rannum posted:

I know it's not really a fair comparison considering this is the 4th (6th? whatever) game in the series but the canyon in quality between RF1 & 4's stories is something else.
and the harvest moons that have a story, i suppose

It's the fourth numbered game, but there are two unnumbered entries (Rune Factory Frontier and Rune Factory Tides of Destiny) on consoles. They're... alright.

I was seriously impressed with the writing quality on this one. It starts out feeling like a clone of previous games (oh no, please go fight things in nearby dungeons for poorly defined reasons), and then it drops a load of likable characters on you and makes you want to save them. The series has come a long way since "Harvest Moon with a sword", which is how the producer at Marvelous described RF1.

Haifisch posted:

That just makes me want a new RF game where you get to travel through the towns of earlier RFs and help them coordinate their new era of peace(until something inevitably goes wrong, because there needs to be dramatic tension).

Or any new RF game, really. :smith:

I will never stop being sad that Neverland shut down. At least Marvelous knew that they were worth keeping around and snapped up the dev team. The only game I'm aware of that they've done for them so far is Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven, which is on my to-do list.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can a human even survive in the Forest of Beginnings?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

Art did, though he wasn't there very long, and it was that weird place where the Forest was fusing with the materium, so that might not count.

And then there's Rune Prana, which is a whole other kettle of fish...

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Glazius posted:

Well, I don't remember anything saying they can't. If Micah's mother had a problem living there, surely it would have come up.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Huh. I went on and on about how long the wait between Acts 2 and 3 was going to be and wanted to try and find other material (such as the other 5 girls) to talk about until it started. Everybody else who's played the game backed me up on that. It took three weeks. I honestly had not predicted this, last time I played it took three years.

Looks like we're going into Act 3 much earlier than expected!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Does Act 3 take RNG to activate?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm kind of amazed that act 3 exists at all, if I was playing the game blind I probably would have quit already :psyduck:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Artificer posted:

Does Act 3 take RNG to activate?

It is almost entirely RNG after meeting some basic criteria (which I 'll cover in the next update). You need the game to decide an event happens that day, and you need that event to be the one that starts the act. And there are lots of events it can pick from.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
To say I sort of agree with Ethelberd. On one hand, yes he's pretty much a huge jerk what with invading neighboring countries. On the other hand, knowing that no matter what you do, or how much you learn there will be others not just better than you but massively more powerful.Able to alter your entire world with little effort.

Like imagine if the only way you could become president is if you were born as a very rare, as in 0.01% or less, sub species of human with the power to do magic. As in no matter what, you would never ever have the opportunity to do so. Not just greed and wanting more power, but a fundamental limit to your existence based entirely upon birth. We have literally fought wars over things like this.

Also, do humans in this game in have an afterlife? If not, becoming a monster might be pretty cool way to become immortal.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Okay, was wondering why it took all night and all day to get the latest batch of screenshots prepared and transferred over to my PC (stupid New3DS and it's harder to access SD card...), but it turns out that's because there are 8000 screenshots here. Apparently the raw data for the previous batch didn't get deleted I guess. That's odd. Means deduplication on this batch is going to take forever though.

ashnjack posted:

To say I sort of agree with Ethelberd. On one hand, yes he's pretty much a huge jerk what with invading neighboring countries. On the other hand, knowing that no matter what you do, or how much you learn there will be others not just better than you but massively more powerful.Able to alter your entire world with little effort.

Like imagine if the only way you could become president is if you were born as a very rare, as in 0.01% or less, sub species of human with the power to do magic. As in no matter what, you would never ever have the opportunity to do so. Not just greed and wanting more power, but a fundamental limit to your existence based entirely upon birth. We have literally fought wars over things like this.

Also, do humans in this game in have an afterlife? If not, becoming a monster might be pretty cool way to become immortal.

A fundamental limit to your existence based entirely upon birth. So, say, like being royalty?

That analogy just doesn't work. It would be better to say that a rare subspecies that can use magic exists, and you can become president regardless of whether or not you are one. Actually, given that we've never seen an Earthmate in a position of power or authority before this game (and Art became Prince by accident, not because he's an Earthmate), it's even less likely.

As for an afterlife, there's been some waffling in the series on whether or not humans' souls go to the Forest of Beginnings when they die, but I think the official stance at this point is that they don't. But are you suggesting that monsters are immortal? Because the implication with Ventuswill's death is that she's dying and never coming back, but a new dragon god will take her place.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Besides, this game/series uses the explanation that weapons have a spell on them which sends monsters to the Forest of Beginnings, right?

So just summon that guy (Omnigate?) and grab a sharp unenchanted piece of steel, and impale on on it. Done.

This is a setting where you have every single weapon or tool enchanted to sent monsters back "home", and then there's tanks. Which I assume are not non-lethal when used on humans...

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

Okay, was wondering why it took all night and all day to get the latest batch of screenshots prepared and transferred over to my PC (stupid New3DS and it's harder to access SD card...), but it turns out that's because there are 8000 screenshots here. Apparently the raw data for the previous batch didn't get deleted I guess. That's odd. Means deduplication on this batch is going to take forever though.

A fundamental limit to your existence based entirely upon birth. So, say, like being royalty?

That analogy just doesn't work. It would be better to say that a rare subspecies that can use magic exists, and you can become president regardless of whether or not you are one. Actually, given that we've never seen an Earthmate in a position of power or authority before this game (and Art became Prince by accident, not because he's an Earthmate), it's even less likely.

As for an afterlife, there's been some waffling in the series on whether or not humans' souls go to the Forest of Beginnings when they die, but I think the official stance at this point is that they don't. But are you suggesting that monsters are immortal? Because the implication with Ventuswill's death is that she's dying and never coming back, but a new dragon god will take her place.

Also if we take the game-play as fact of the reality of Art's world, other than having an easier time with some advanced gate magic, there is really nothing special about being an "Earth-mate". Everyone can tame monsters (There was a monster competition in one of the update). Every monster and human can obtain in-human strength and power given enough training and time. All food, medicine, and equipment can be manufactured by anyone at any quality given enough practice(see shops and competitions). The economy is totally broken. Only Art may have access to Sharence Maze, but if anyone can grow any of the crops available, they could also find and grow dungeon flowers and farm them too.

Speaking of time, no one ages.

Let's face it, Ethelbird is railing on something that he could easily obtain through hard work effort (and a little brushing and some high-end recipes)

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 7, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We can probably argue that Earthmates are the only people who can consistently level up crops. Like, once you ship high level seeds, other people can presumably grow them but the protagonist seems to be the only person who can take a low level seed and grow better seeds from it. Also animal produce. Can you even buy high level milk/eggs/etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So Earthmate is fantasyspeak for "person who's capable of selectively breeding for better produce." Got it. :v:

That is an important ability(especially for a highly rural medieval-ish society), but not as all-consumingly important as Ethelberd's making it out to be.

• Locked thread