Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

YggiDee posted:

We can probably argue that Earthmates are the only people who can consistently level up crops. Like, once you ship high level seeds, other people can presumably grow them but the protagonist seems to be the only person who can take a low level seed and grow better seeds from it. Also animal produce. Can you even buy high level milk/eggs/etc?

Granny can produce infinite of any crop at any level you ship, regardless (does she even HAVE a farm?), and high/max level crops and animal products can also be found in chests which spawn enough that if everyone hunted for them every day, you could have specimens of all possible crops within a few years time, which could be then shipped to Granny and the flower shop to be produced infinitely and sold back to everyone.

The ability to level crops has to do with the quality of your farm tools and soil (which has little to nothing to do with you being special).

I guess you could argue that only Art can see and open chests.

I'm thinking a bit too hard about the game vs the story, but it really suffers from "I can't cross this 1-foot gap because only Mario can jump" except everyone CAN jump but refuses to when they need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
If only he had lost his memory and spent the 20 years or so grinding out skills, one hammer blow on rock at a time.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

mastersord posted:

I guess you could argue that only Art can see and open chests.

If anything, everybody else seems to be better at treasure finding than Art. Art has to be standing right next to and facing a hidden item to see it, while party members can detect them from a distance.

Maybe being an Earthmate means you can grind your skills higher or faster than normal people? Normal people can grow turnips, but only an Earthmate could have farming skill over 100 (maybe only Art can, I think the earlier games capped all skills at 99).

Or maybe it's that Earthmates get some kind of inherent bonus on everything they do that makes them better at everything, which is why Art's smithing skill is maxed out but Bado can still teach him a thing or two.

mastersord posted:

I'm thinking a bit too hard about the game vs the story, but it really suffers from "I can't cross this 1-foot gap because only Mario can jump" except everyone CAN jump but refuses to when they need to.

The best thing about this game is that that happens to a lesser degree. Art is the only one who can decide to go clear a dungeon, but everybody else in town (given a high enough friendship rating, and not counting Blossom, Volkanon, or Ventuswill) will gladly help out. If Art wasn't there and poo poo needed doing, I'm sure Forte or Volkanon would be leading the charge.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Truthkeeper posted:

If anything, everybody else seems to be better at treasure finding than Art. Art has to be standing right next to and facing a hidden item to see it, while party members can detect them from a distance.
More like they can detect it in an area, but can never actually get to it, open it, and loot it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Really, any argument about the unique qualities of earthmates that bases itself on gameplay mechanics is inherently flawed, because Micah isn't actually an earthmate, and he can still do basically all of those things.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Huh. I used to complain to myself whenever I noticed that the utility I use to take screenshots in-game grabs shots of the homebrew software menu when I launch it for no adequately explained reason. But those are currently the only thing separating out the multiple batches of screenshots that I'm now trying to sort out, so I guess I kind of appreciate it now.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Once There Was a God in This Town

ACT II - END

I'm glad there isn't a rotting dragon corpse in the middle of the room.

I need to see where I left off and try to get some more done. I've been putting off playing until I posted something.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Wasn't it that Earthmates are the only people that can interact with / create / directly use Runies? Which basically seem to be the source of life in the Rune Factory-world.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Hooking up with a Foxy Man

Alright, we’re still sitting pretty at the end of Act 1, but with some of the luxuries that Act 2 has to offer. Time to ask Leon out.

I guess when you troll everyone, you think everyone’s trolling you. Let’s try again on a different day.

Better.

Okay then…..

The next day:

Leon. Can I hear your answer?

Don’t turn into Doug on me, dammit!

You are serious about this, yes?
(Dialogue option) Just kidding.

Get back on track here….

Very serious.
I...see. Then I’ll have to give you an equally serious answer.

Awkward pause.

I’m sorry, but I can’t go out with you.
Wha…?

...Oh.

It’s not that I hate you.
I could never hate you.
Wha…?
Not after all you’ve taught me.
It was from you that I learned what it truly means to care for someone.
And how those feelings can’t be denied.
To be honest, I never imagined what it’d really be like.
Then…

But I can’t date you.
Because I can’t marry you.
Huh?
I decided long ago that I’ll never get married.
Thus, I cannot date anyone. That comes part and parcel with that decision.
Even if I changed that…
Even if I chose to go out with you, I could never truly be together with you.

Do you understand? Give up on me. Please.
Though I guess we could still be together as friends. That doesn’t involve marriage.
(dialogue option) We don’t need to marry!
!
Are you alright with that?
(dialogue option) Completely.

You know, you really are amusing.
Huh? EEP! HEY! Stop ruffling my hair!
Oh come on, it’s not a big deal.
After all, starting today, the two of us are lovers.
Huh?
What, would you rather not?
Of course I want to!
So, um...I-I’m really looking forward to it.
As am I.
And...thank you.
Hm?
Nothing.

And Scene.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Hail Leon Foxears, King of the Trolls!

ousire posted:

Wasn't it that Earthmates are the only people that can interact with / create / directly use Runies? Which basically seem to be the source of life in the Rune Factory-world.

Runes are provided to the land by the native dragons, and can be extracted by any decent farmer, per RF1. Mind you, a lot of stuff from that game got retconned later, and Frontier was the game that Runeys were most important in (much to the despair of everybody who tried to play it), so I don't know for certain.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Really, any argument about the unique qualities of earthmates that bases itself on gameplay mechanics is inherently flawed, because Micah isn't actually an earthmate, and he can still do basically all of those things.
Maybe it's only earthmates among humans that can do it, and monsters are more in tune with the earth already. They do spawn endlessly.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Alavaria posted:

Maybe it's only earthmates among humans that can do it, and monsters are more in tune with the earth already. They do spawn endlessly.

And that's another thing! RF1 established that it was unusual for monsters to be showing up in significant numbers, and it turned out to be part of Ethelberd and Lenette's crazy plan. Every game after that just casually ignored that fact in favor of monsters just being around.

Bah. Series continuity is all kinds of weird.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Courtship and Whatever.

There’s dating and waiting around and I really want to smash some things.

This is for reference on how much range you can get off Dual Blades when crafted just right.

I’ve got a really dumb idea.

What could possibly go wrong?

Also there are these guys. I think we talked about them, but they’re super important for crafting. I need all the buffs for crafting that I can get at this point since I am incredibly not supposed to be here.

and Grimore is down! Time to go visit Uno and Sano!

Hi, Uno and Sano!

Awww. Leon Karnak is as far as I can go. Only an idiot would try Sharance Maze without having done Rune Prana. Maybe later.

A bit of dialogue that I don’t think you get if you’re a guy.

Going on a date! (I’m guessing at the order of some of these, I don’t have them in sequence, sadly.)

Dude can’t even get through a date without trolling. Sometimes I think he acts like he's trolling when he's unsure of himself, like when he asked if the flowers he selected were appropriate. Flowers can mean anything from "I love you" to "I'll put this on your grave." I think that is more the case in Japan than it is here.

An event day! I need A Day in the Life of Leon, since that’s required to marry him.

It took way more than four tries, but eventually....

I'm sorry, Leon.

There’s no need to go through his entire event again, so I’ll just link to this post.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 8, 2017

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

There are reasons why Leon is my favorite bachelor.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Only an idiot would try Sharance Maze without having done Rune Prana.

Challenge accepted!

Seriously though, it's a pain in the rear end, but it is sort of doable. In the sense that you go in with a rosary so you only have to fight bosses, and kit yourself out with as many crit boosts as you can get. Critical hits bypass defense, making it possible to kill bosses far beyond your level. But it's difficult, leaves you still squishy as gently caress, and is barely worth the effort.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I Wish I Had a Cardboard Box

Now, given that I killed Ethelberd to death on Summer 18th at around 2PM, you could be forgiven for thinking that it’s kind of weird that it’s now 6AM on the same day.

But you’d be wrong, because it isn’t the same day. The end of Act 2 triggers a one year time skip. It is now Summer 18 of Year 3. Much like when they pulled this poo poo in RF3, it’s pointless and stupid because everything is exactly the way I left it.

But I digress. You might notice that I’ve got a pretty fair pile of prince points built up. It’s not nearly enough to do all the things I’ll want to do over time, but it’s enough to show off NEW FEATURES!

For beating Act 2 (nominally beating the game, I’ve got a trophy that said so and everything), A handful of new orders have been added to the order symbol.

Woo, new stuff!

Some of this is basic stuff that I shouldn’t have had to unlock, like being able to see my enemies’ HP and levels. We also have the ability to shut down experience gain, which would have been very handy, say, around the beginning of Act 2, but would be a horrible mistake to use now.

More important stuff is further down the list. I’m now able to buy the Sharance Maze, a returning feature from RF3 implemented better here. Like the World of Fields, it’s a randomly generated maze full of random monsters. Unlike the other, it’s absurdly high level, is split across six separate dungeons, each being longer than the World of Fields, and has unique bosses, most of them returning bosses from RF1, 2, and 3. This dungeon was part of the Sharance Tree (a giant tree the main character in RF3 lives in and farms underneath), and this is explained by Art buying one of it’s branches.

Converting prince points to money is a sucker’s game at such a low conversion rate. On the other hand, I’d be all over being able to buy prince points at that rate. But such is life.

The big one here is appearance changing. Art’s kind of a dull looking fellow and I get sick of looking at him after a while.

This option will let me change Art to any other human(oid) character in the game (only his sprite and voice, his portrait remains unchanged unless I pick the female protagonist, and the 3D model in the inventory never changes).

Did I say any character?

Yeah, any character. I wish Ethelberd had a more diverse voice set, he gets annoying to listen to after a while.

Since Frey is a fully implemented player character with a full portrait set, my portrait changes while in her form. I’ll be screwing around with a few different forms in the next few updates. I like Frey’s little tiara-crown-headband thingy, it makes me wish Art had some kind of princely bling.

So, a year has passed, and life in Selphia has gone on. But Venti is dead, and everybody’s still trying to get over it.

Managed to save the world and get back just in time for the Firefly Festival, which I actually have a date for this year, how nice. Thankfully, Dolce doesn’t even notice that she’s been suddenly thrust into a lesbian relationship.

I could totally take her out somewhere else and ignore the festival, but why would I? Unique events are to be pursued and treasured.

Even in a female body, Art still bathes in the mens’ bath. Scandalous!

Annoyingly, I seem to have lost a chunk of images here. Nothing important thankfully, just a repeat of both phases of the Ethelberd fight (when you go into his boss room you can choose which version of him you want to fight, and do them back to back if you like), and the beginning of an event with Porcoline. He’s sad because he feels like Margaret is hiding something from him and asked me to find out what’s wrong for him. I may make fun of the poor fat guy a lot, but he’s a good guy and I’d be happy to help him out.

Huh? O-oh...Right! Well I'm...not exactly HIDING anything... Yeah, I think it'd be okay if I told you. Y'see, we've been thinking of a way to repay Porco for all the wonderful stuff he does.

"We"?

Yeah. Me, Dylas and Arthur. I mean, Porco is always doing stuff to take care of us, right? So we got together and decided we wanted to show him how much we appreciate him. We've been trying to make sure he didn't notice... But I guess he did, and it's backfiring. We only need a little bit more time to finish setting everything up, so... Oh, I know!

Oh wow. A subplot in which characters are trying to do something nice as a surprise for somebody and the beneficiary thinks the worst because of the secrecy? I have never seen this happen before in any form of media ever!

When did my high fantasy farming game turn into a soap opera?

...?

Hey, Art? Could you do me a favor and keep Porco distracted just for today?

Huh? Distracted how?

Umm...maybe you could ask him on a date?

What.

A what?!

Well, you know how fond Porco is of you. Pleeease? I'll give you whatever I can as thanks, afterwards. I promise!

I am capable of asking for things that I don’t think you would be willing to give me.

Okay, okay...

Great! If you could just take him somewhere else for the day, we'll be able to finish everything up.

Okay, time to play distraction for a while. No way this could possibly blow up in anybody’s face. Fine then, but I’m not putting out. Art’s not that kind of girl.

But before I take Porky out for a night on the town, Dolce has dibs.

Fireflies. Thousands of them.

I did not! Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

RUNE FAC-T’RY! A real Noradian farmer!

Now you’re just rubbing it in dear.

I would like to forget that I live to go on a date with Porcoline, thank you.

Oh Art you are still such a goober.

Art the goober, we just established that.

I didn’t get the first textbox of this conversation, so I can’t be clear what the context is. But given that Leon’s been standing there watching me and Dolce this whole time, I prefer to think it was sexual in nature.

That’s just reinforcing it! (He’s actually talking about the fireflies)

Of course you did. Art is the prince of all ladies men, even when he is himself a princess.

Also, bored now!

Well, Ethelberd wanted to be an Earthmate, I guess he kinda got his wish. He looks better with Art’s hat.

Also, I can interact with the spot where Venti used to sit.

What smells like dragon farts?

So, I made some extra lovely metal. It is the shittiest possible metal. You could fold a sword made out of this a million times and polish it like a diamond and it would still be poo poo. How poo poo is it, you might ask?

Observe this mighty Dragon Claw fist weapon. It’s not as good as my Fists of Light, but still pretty decent. But then I upgraded it with scrap metal +.

Now I’ve got a weapon that does 1 damage!

Why would I do such a thing, you might ask yourselves.

Observe the Mineral Squeak! I believe I very briefly mentioned this unique critter before, he drops very powerful upgrade items, double steel and tenfold steel. Rather than dropping them sometimes when he dies, he always drops one ever time he loses HP (sadly, juggling them once they’re at 0 HP doesn’t count). He has 4 HP. With a scrap metal+ weapon, I can get 4 steels per squeak. This is the first step toward ULTIMATE POWER!

Another interaction with Venti’s throne. How curious!

Porcoline is so pleased to be going out with crazyoldwizard!Art.

You were literally standing outside the restaurant Meg.

Poor guy, he’s taking this really badly. Know your audience before preparing a surprise party folks.

If you like it so much how come you didn’t come here to punch a giant butterfly girl to death?

Yeah.

The natural beauty of nature here reminds me of the Elven Kingdom.

You've been there?

Yes, a few times. The De Sainte-Coquille family has long been friends with the forest people.

This is actually a fact established in the earlier games. There’s a member (sometimes more) of Porcoline’s family in every game. In RF2 Porcoline’s semi-half-cousin Herman (they share three of the same mothers) provided house space to a displaced half-elven girl named Cecilia, in exchange for some… household work… Okay, we’re not going to discuss that the Sainte-Coquiile family may or may not be enslaving elves.

(Seriously though, it’s harmless, Cecilia just worked for him as a maid when she arrived in Alvarna)

Wow.

The Elven Kingdom was where I first met Meg. I went there for a trade market they had opened.

A trade market?

Metal Gear?[/snake]

Yes. There, I saw Meg making lovely music for the gathered masses. I heard that she wished to leave her birth kingdom to travel and see the world. Thus, I thought to invite her to my restaurant, and ask her to play for my customers. But I gave up on that quickly.

Why's that?

You see, a famous conductor was there as well, and he too had heard Meg play. He loved her music immediately, and wished to have her play in his orchestra. I very, very much wanted to have Meg come here... But I let the conductor make his offer instead. I know nothing of the melodies of music. I could give Meg nothing. So I thought it would be better for her future to hear what the conductor had to offer.

Huh? Wait a second...but right now Meg is here.

Yes, she's here under my wing. You see, other things happened after the market.

Finish your story dammit!

Now you may laugh at this... But I think of Meg as my own daughter. Dylas and Arthur, too, are my precious family. Meeting them were some of the greatest experiences of my life. Meeting you, Art, was another grand one as well.

Porcoline…

So please become part of my family...for real! Right now!!

Sure thing Uncle Porkchop!

Aww… I guess the intention there was him proposing again, but he didn’t actually say it this time, and I think he’d make a great crazy uncle.

GAAAAH!! ...Ahem. Anyway, I think I'll spend a little more time here. An afternoon spent relaxing alone is nice every once in a while. Thank you for listening to what I had to say, Art.

Well, I think I took a load off his shoulders by listening to his story. I wish he’d finished it, I would have liked to know why meg came here instead of going to play in the famous composer’s orchestra.

Oh dear. This may have been a bad idea…. Nah, he’ll be fine

Oh do tell.

Oh, sure.

I want to...um...know more about...a..."amour"...

Is it somehow easier for her to squeeze it out in French?

Because both of these options are funny, we’ll cover both of them.

What was that? "C'mere"?

Oh, i-is that...how you pronounce it? Then...yes... c'mere. Please.

All right.

Well, she did ask.

Well, you said "c'mere"...

S-so this is...what it means... to feel the wonders of "c'mere"...true "c'mere"...

Poor Forte. Maybe her parents died before giving her the birds and the bees talk? God knows Bado probably couldn’t be bothered.

What was that? "Alpacas"?

Y-yes! They're so fluffy and cuddly and cute!

In my Story of Seasons experience, they get stressed out, get sick, and die at the drop of a hat, and I’ll have no part of them.

...Umm...You probably should ignore that.

Already done!

Well you told me to get him out of the way, so I took him out into the woods and left him there. He’s probably fine.

He said he wanted some time by himself outside town.

Ah, okay. Well then let's finish up all our preparations before he gets back! Thanks, Art!

Well, that ended satisfactorily. What else is on the agenda today?

Well, there is the Sharance Maze (which is somehow stored in this mirror in the trophy room).

Sharance Maze level 1. This is what we call a phenomenally bad idea.

Yeah, I was dead about 4 seconds after this.

Yeah, we all miss her, but sitting there crying over her perch isn’t helping matters any. Buck up Ethelart.

It’s been a day, you’d think he would have come home by now.

Huh. This is starting to look pretty bad.

Also, the Buddy Battle is coming round again. I still need to win this one, but I’ve kinda been neglecting my monsters.

Yes. Yesterday. When I abandoned him in the woods. We had this conversation already.

Hmm?

He hasn't come back yet! Oh no...What have I done? If...if something happened to him...if he never comes back, I...I don't know what I'll do!

Calm down, Meg. Porcoline and I went to the forest together. He might still be out there.

Really?!

Yeah. How about we go check together?

Okay!

She seems so relieved that he probably just spent the night in a monster infested hellhole.

Oh my. He’s dead.

Porco!

Oh Ventuswill! He’s dead and a zombie! Stand back Margaret, I’m gonna have to punch his head off his shoulders.

...Mrph? Dwah?!

Or not.

Porco, you idiot! How could you fall asleep out here?!

M-Meg! What are you doing here? Wait...what time is it?

If only they had asked the last person who saw Porco where he was, I would have told them and they would have been relieved to know he was in a monster infested hellhole.

Dylas. Arthur. What are you all doing here? I thought you all hated me.

Why would we do that?

Sorry we were all acting weird, Porcoline.

After all, Dylas is a very poor actor.

You're not winning any awards, yourself.

Wh-what is going on?

Porco, listen. We all wanted to throw you a thank-you party.

A...thank-you party?

Here. I made this for you.

A hand-knit scarf...?

I tried really hard to make it something that'd look good on you!

Here, this is from me.

What is it?

It's an interesting exercise tool I found at market. You put it on and it vibrates to exercise your muscles without you needing to do a thing.

Fairly certain muscles don’t work that way.

Ooh...!

I, uh...made some snacks for you. They're at the restaurant. I'm sure they aren't as good as yours, but... How about we all go home and try them, okay?

Yes. We don't want them going cold, now.

Yeah! Let's go home, Porco.

Home... WAAAAAAAAAH!!

I dunno, he still looks kinda like a zombie. I still might have to punch him until his brain explodes.

Of course we do! So enough with the waterworks already. You...you'll make me cry, too...

WAAAAAAAAAH!! It's my party and I'll cry if I want to! WAAAAAAH!! I love all of you so much!!

Holy timely references Batman!

And sorry to make you put up with so much. Porco, you should apologize, too.

I'm sorry.

This is a little thank-you present. I hope you like it.

And here is one from me, too.

...And me. I made too much for everyone.

Ooh! Ooh! I wanna give one to you, too! Here! Take it! Oh, Art! Why don't you join us for dinner?

Hmm...thanks, but I think I'll pass this time. You all look like you're having a great enough time already.

How considerate of you! Well then, how about we have dinner some other time. ...Just the two of us.

Yeah. Sure. What the hell. Still not putting out.

ZOMBIE! *BOOM* Headshot!

What? Did I hear that wrong?

Hurry it up, Porcoline.

Yeah, we don't want to keep bugging Art all day.

Yes. Let us get going.

They all gave me food! Yeah, that was a pretty satisfactory wrap-up. But there’s one more thing to take care of still.

It’s on now.

This turned out to be simultaneously a far better and far worse idea than I thought. I’d assumed that bosses would have a more combat-focused AI, compared to the high level barnyard animals I submitted last year, who did jack all.

To a certain extent, that worked, especially since Dead Tree has passive defenses (its spinning wall of apples).

On the downside, besides that I can’t see what’s going on because the Tree takes up half the drat screen?

They aren’t strong enough for a straight win. Luckily, we won the round by dealing the most damage when the timer stopped.

This is the only competition where Bado, Blossom, and Lin Fa can be called serious contenders. Hell if I know where any of them are storing their monsters.

This really is going better than I had any right to expect.

But in the end, I never really had a chance at winning. I’ll have to try and work something out for next year. I might have to actually learn how pet buffing works.

It’s okay Kiel, you can bathe with the creepy old wizard who wears his clothes while in the bath.

And then a few days later I ran into Porcoline standing at the town gate for some odd reason. He has a very strange affirmation.

That's the spirit, chef!

I can eat anything!

Th-that's the...spirit...?

It's very rare for my dishes to make it to my customers!

Can you even be counted as a chef, then?!

What could possibly be going on?

Oh, maybe Illuminata knows.

Shh! I'm eavesdropping!

Oh. Well, have fun with that.

What?!

There's some veeery suspicious chit-chat going on over there. I sense an oncoming case!

Porcoline talking to himself? It is kinda weird, true.

Oh, she’s talking about the mysterious woman who just showed up and is talking to Porky now.

I think the "case" is already happening.

Ah! They're coming this way! Hide!

Gah! Why me, too?!

Yes. It's almost too much to handle.

What's so suspicious about that? It just looks to me like Porcoline is having a nice chat with some lady.

If I had to point at something, I'd say it's their relationship that's suspicious. Maybe that lady is Porcoline's girlfriend?

That’s suspicious?

What?! ...And that isn't suspicious at all, either.

That’s what I said.

She's growing into a gentle, generous and genuine young lady.

...Do you ask that of me, or of her?

I'm afraid neither of us can give a happy answer to that one.

I apologize in advance, but I cannot hope she chooses that option. It would be, in many ways, just running away.

Anyway, how fare things in your fair land?

No, no. We didn't do much.

This game is building the family up more than previous games. Not just rich and involved in international shipping, but also apparently power players of some sort in politically sensitive areas?

But I'm happy to hear that all is now well there.

Allow me to escort you to the gate.

Ah-ha...I see.

See what?

Well that was dull. Time to head home for tea.

Huh? Wait, Illuminata!

Lumie, you got some ‘splaining to do.

What's going on? You look like you got something out of that whole thing. What is it?

Oh, do you really want to know?

Yes. Yes I do.

Hrm. Well, since you sound so enthusiastic, I guess I can tell you my deductions. The lady talking with Porcoline was a messenger from the Elven Kingdom.

The Elven Kingdom?

A card key? [/snake]

Yeah. Their kingdom used to be ruled by a queen. But that was only until a little while ago.

So what's it like, now?

Different. There's no queen anymore. The throne is empty.

So is it a democracy, or a military junta, or a hippy commune, or what?

Why's that?

Well, the old queen's sister raised a doozy of a question. She asked everyone if the elves as a nation were too reliant on having a queen.

That’s the stupidest reason for a massive shift in governmental structure I’ve ever heard and I’ve been playing Civilization for nearly twenty years.

Too reliant?

The CIA? [/snake]

Yes. See, becoming queen meant losing all freedom. The queen is never alone, ever. And all responsibility for any decision-making is on her alone. The sister, watching what the queen went through day in and day out, questioned the whole system. So the elves are currently trying to build a new kingdom that does not rely on any royal figure.

That’s… not how monarchy works. And could have been changed without overthrowing said monarchy.

So that's what happened.

Yeah. And it sounds like it's going pretty well so far. Trade with the human kingdoms is flourishing and the elves are growing prosperous. That lady came by just to let Porcoline know that. After all, the De Sainte-Coquille family is presently the lynchpin of human-elf trade right now.

The De Sainte-Coquille family? That's Porcoline's family, right?

I’m starting to run out of Metal Gear jokes.

Wow, they must be some pretty impressive people.

Yeah. They've been on good terms with the elves for years and years.

I’m wondering now how long Illuminata’s lived in Selphia. Presumably, as an elf, she’s from the Elven Kingdom.

Hmm.

Anyway, that's all they were talking about. Now then, today's mystery has been solved, so I guess it's back to work for me.

Anticlimactic for her, interesting world building for me.

Huh? Why not?

Um...it'll be easier for you to get along with us if you don't know, so I'm not saying.

Humans cut down trees, elves devour human flesh. Both sides have quirks that annoy the other.

This has actually been available ever since I unlocked the option to buy furniture, I just never got around to buying one. With a closet, I can buy alternate outfits! (Only visible when my avatar is set to Lest or Frey. No dressing up Ethelberd for us).

It can also hold the many spare bits of armor and accessories that I’ve had piling up in my storage bin.

So now Art’s a girl again.

I think I unlocked the clothing vendor even earlier than the furniture, just never bothered to visit him (his shop is outside of town, on the screen east of the road to the town gate). Pajamas allow you to attend slumber parties with the marriageable characters of your gender, swimsuits do not actually allow swimming.

I hear they’re easy to wear too.

Woo, jammies.

I don’t know why either.

Also Woolie.

And Selphia guardsman.

It’s actually surprisingly tasteful.

I guess Dolce took notice that Art suddenly cares about clothes. Mind you, last time we talked about clothes she tried to dress him up like Pico.

Hey, that was your idea. You have a filthy mind young lady.

That’s probably reasonable.

But where is the maestro of this magnificent effort, the lady Meg herself? I haven't seen her.

Huh. I’d suggest that she made it up as a way to distract Porcoline and Dylas while she does something else, but we literally just did a subplot about that.

Oh, well, she’s at home. Porcoline never considered looking for her in the place where she lives?

I never really cottoned on to what the hell moe is supposed to be, does this count?

Meg?

O-oh, sorry! I was kinda lost on memory lane for a minute, there.

Are you okay?

Yeah. Oh, no! I completely forgot we were going to clean the restaurant today! I missed it! Ha ha.. Oh, great. Porco's going to be so mad at me. What can I do to make it up to him?

Something something kitchen something sandwich?

Um...

It's nothing. Don't worry about it, okay?

Let somebody deal with their problems on their own in their own time? NOT IN MY TOWN! TO THE SNOOPMOBILE!

I don’t think this conversation is actually related to the ongoing event at all, but it’s a funny coincidence that she finally decided to bring it up (lots of people are finally mentioning stuff about themselves that the player would have long known by now, Illuminata just mentioned that she runs a flower shop).

Elves?

Yep. Take a look at my ears. They're uniquely shaped, right? It's the telltale sign that you're dealing with an elf!

This is pretty much the only evidence behind my theory that Dolce is an elf.

U-um... ...Does it scare you? That...I'm an elf...?

Sure elves devour human flesh in a heartbeat, but Volkanon is a terrifying man.

Haha, seriously? You're scared of Volkanon?!

Yes, very much. Compared to him, elves might as well be puppies!

Phew...I'm glad to hear that... I think...

Bathing gets progressively more expensive as you take more in a day. I could make it free… for the low low price of 35000 prince points. I’ve got more important things I’m saving up for.

I’ve had the recipe for Protein (which increases Strength by 1 permanently) for a long time, but it’s kind of useless in small amounts. If I could mass produce it though…

And yes I do have an inventory full of cheese bread, doesn’t everybody?

One of the last useful things the end of Act 2 brought me, I can now summon and repel typhoons, at 1000 points each.

NEXT TIME: I'm gonna be screwing about talking to random people and doing random things for a while yet. But I promised more romantic shenanigans, and eventually the game's going to let me deliver on them.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Challenge accepted!

Seriously though, it's a pain in the rear end, but it is sort of doable. In the sense that you go in with a rosary so you only have to fight bosses, and kit yourself out with as many crit boosts as you can get. Critical hits bypass defense, making it possible to kill bosses far beyond your level. But it's difficult, leaves you still squishy as gently caress, and is barely worth the effort.

It might be possible with crafting shenanigans since you have access to platinum now, but the payoff isn't really worth it.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It might be possible with crafting shenanigans since you have access to platinum now, but the payoff isn't really worth it.

Platinum not even required. A critical ring, made of gold and rigid horn, and upgrade the ring, your weapon, and all your armor with as many crit-boosting items as you can scrounge, you can get around +15% crit per item.

It's still not worth it, aside from bragging rights. I'll probably do it anyway.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Truthkeeper posted:

Challenge accepted!

Actually, it's pretty trivial. I went through Sharance long before Rune Prana unlocked, and was farming the final boss with ease. The trick is to tame a high level rideable monster in the maze, and wear the pendant that boosts its stats by 50%. Use that to explore the maze and level up to the point where you're comfortable taming a boss, and then tame a high level boss and wear that same pendant.

Boom, you're now basically capable of beating the entire maze. Ride the boss (bosses are immune to status effects so you can't get knocked off) and kill enemies using it. Feed it crit boosting items every day so that it can do appreciable damage and then go tear everything up. If you need a boost in power on later floors, tame a boss there and resume.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
For anyone having trouble following the conversation, this game is incredibly easy to break and it pretty much encourages game breaking.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Ride the boss (bosses are immune to status effects so you can't get knocked off) and kill enemies using it.
The ultimate in luxury transportation.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I had a bunch of free time today and I'm procrastinating on some things, so here's more Leon.

White Day

Today I get a bunch of cookies. Here are some of the better reactions.

Vishnal:

Much to my surprise it was a cookie and not a failed dish.

Arthur:

Porco:

I've seen the name of the cookie change in other LPs, but I'm not sure if it's completely random or based on friendship levels. Knowing Porco, it's the former.

Dylas:

Clorica:

Leon: Sorry about this, I had to guess again which images go where. I’m going to type these up as soon as they happen in game after I get through these. Anyway, we’re dating, so I went to the dating spot for my cookie.

Annnddddd….that’s all I have of that conversation. I couldn’t find the rest of it on my hard drive and couldn’t find a transcript elsewhere. Sorry :(.

Odds and ends:

It’s hard to see, but the developers put her hair up when she’s in the bath. I don’t think it appears anywhere else in the game. It’s a nice touch.

Why?

I am so close to being caught up with this.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 9, 2017

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Sharence maze requires more than the experience from beating the Act 3 dungeon in order to survive. A few tips:

1) Farm the dungeon. Use the escape spell frequently and sleep to heal up. Each room after the entrance and before the boss room, has a chance to spawn chests, including silver chests which always contain equipment and/or spells. Any type of equipment, including stuff that hasn't been learned or unlocked yet, can spawn, including top tier weapons and armor. permanent Stat boost meds also frequently spawn on these floors.

2) Try and recruit some monsters from the maze. They will all be a fair bit higher in level than yourself. They never leave your party until you dismiss them. They respawn when they get killed. Finally, they have limitless RP to spam spells (if they can cast and have a magic based attack). I would again recommend the elemental fairies since I know that Blue (and I think Green) cast party healing spells. Normal monsters will take any items you give them when trying to recruit them. Even with 15 brushes you have a 1-5% chance to recruit monsters over a certain number levels higher than yourself. Getting one or 2 should only take an hour or so at most.

3) Exploit the crafting system. Upgrade with a 10-fold steel and a giant Crystal to make a piece of armor that will make certain element-based attacks heal instead of hurt. I would recommend Giant Blue crystal first since a lot of enemies tend to use water based attacks. A 10-fold on a weapon followed by a legendary scale will give your attacks an HP drain effect that will also heal you.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 9, 2017

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So, as someone who has no context for the "elves eat humans" thing, is this a matter of actively hunting people down or more of a "well, they aren't elves, so I don't see why we shouldn't eat them if the meat presents itself"?

Truthkeeper posted:

Observe the Mineral Squeak!

he always drops one ever time he loses HP

liked to know why meg came here instead

What was that? "C'mere"?

But where is the maestro of this magnificent effort, the lady Meg herself?

Some typos, couple wrong portraits.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Zagglezig posted:

So, as someone who has no context for the "elves eat humans" thing, is this a matter of actively hunting people down or more of a "well, they aren't elves, so I don't see why we shouldn't eat them if the meat presents itself"?

Some typos, couple wrong portraits.

Mineral Squeek is how it appears in the game, along with Chipsqueek and whatever other squeeks are in the game. I had to double-check that myself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zagglezig posted:

I figured it was a Dwarf Fortress reference since most races hate elves for having no issues eating sentient beings, and elves hate other races for murdering innocent trees.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

drat you typos. drat you I say!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Cookie Day shenanigans.

The funny thing is that, as far as I can tell, the devs didn't bother implementing an actual gender check for White Day/Valentine's Day. The game clearly does check, since some dialogue is different when you give cookies, but most dialogue for receiving a cookie remains unchanged and you get cookies from whichever gender is giving out cookies that day regardless.

Haifisch posted:

I figured it was a Dwarf Fortress reference since most races hate elves for having no issues eating sentient beings, and elves hate other races for murdering innocent trees.

This. It's stuck with me ever since it was implemented in Dwarf Fortress and I've been joking about elves eating humans ever since.

Dirk the Average posted:

Actually, it's pretty trivial. I went through Sharance long before Rune Prana unlocked, and was farming the final boss with ease. The trick is to tame a high level rideable monster in the maze, and wear the pendant that boosts its stats by 50%. Use that to explore the maze and level up to the point where you're comfortable taming a boss, and then tame a high level boss and wear that same pendant.

Boom, you're now basically capable of beating the entire maze. Ride the boss (bosses are immune to status effects so you can't get knocked off) and kill enemies using it. Feed it crit boosting items every day so that it can do appreciable damage and then go tear everything up. If you need a boost in power on later floors, tame a boss there and resume.

Yeah, I guess I am forced to admit that monsters are the easiest way to break the game. But there's something more satisfying about doing it by beating the crafting system like a redheaded stepchild.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I never thought a 1-damage weapon would wind up useful, but it turns out I knew nothing.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Christmas at the Factory

I asked Leon out for Christmas. Kind of.

Mr. Smooth Talker here changes his answer based on your response. I'd be a bit taken aback too if I was told "None of your business" in a situation like that though. If you select "For everyone to be happy," he'll say that he could never wish for such a thing, himself.

And talking to Dr. Jones after….

I may be picking up some of Leon’s habits.

Happy New Year, let’s see what’s in store!

Wait, there’s something I need to check…

YES!

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 10, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...are the troll options always there, or do you need to be down with the Leon to unlock them for yourself?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
So, are there unicorn-like mobs you can tame and, of course, ride?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Alavaria posted:

So, are there unicorn-like mobs you can tame and, of course, ride?

Terrable, whose clone is currently living in my barn happily munching on grass, is a unicorn-dragon. A better example is the second boss, Thunderbolt, who has been my slav... "friend" for quite a while now.

Oddly enough, Grimoire, despite being a juvenile form of Terrable, does not have a horn.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

Oddly enough, Grimoire, despite being a juvenile form of Terrable, does not have a horn.

Well, obviously the horn grows in at maturity.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Huh, should have realized this one in retrospect. I thought I lost the screenshots of my rematch with Ethelberd in the last update. It turns out it didn't happen in that update and I was just thinking of when I refought him in my other file. My bad there.

GeminiSun posted:

Well, obviously the horn grows in at maturity.

This is very likely.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Art's Romantic Pursuits: The Dragon Knight of Selphia

I am the worst possible person to ask about that.

What does that even mean?

That’s actually a good question. A harp remix of the 1812 Overture? ...I kinda want to hear that now.

Why did I bother asking you?!

S-sorry.

...Well, it might be a good idea after all, honestly. I'll give it a shot.

Huh?

I am very interested in seeing what she comes up with.

It’s a drat shame, Illuminata is clearly the most desirable woman in this town.

Okay, seriously though, I know I said I was going to start with Margaret as the second subject of Art’s harem, but RNG being what it is…

Gonna have to be Forte.

Is this the sort of thing people often joke about?

No, it isn't.

It isn't a dream, either?

Is this the sort of thing you often dream about Forte? *Wink wink nudge nudge*

No. I'm very serious.

... Erm... I-I'm sorry. I'm very...confused right now. May I have a little time to think?

Um, sure.

Thank you.

I promise I shall deliver an answer to you then.

Okay.

I, erm, will see you then...

As you add more girls to your harem (or guys for the female characters harem), it gets progressively more difficult to convince any girl to join. And none of the girls ever take notice that they’ve suddenly joined a harem. It’s probably for the best, trying to juggle any kind of jealousy system would probably get annoying. And Dolce would probably shank all involved parties.

I just think this is a funny mental image.

Speaking of Doug though, he was locked at 3 friendship until the end of Act 2 (long after it stopped making sense that he wouldn’t be very friendly with me), but a steady pace of talking to him every day and throwing rice balls at him has finally got him up to 5.

Which means I can finally complete this request I’ve been sitting on forever.

"So I want you to raise your friendship levels with everyone to 5 or higher. That includes me, of course!"

Clorica, despite being the recipient of many apple pies, is proving resistant to Art’s charms.

Seems like you managed to raise everyone's friendship levels. You're quite the schmoozer!

And then the moment arrived.

I would never! ….Out loud.

I won't.

I've been thinking about it very hard. To be honest, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about these kinds of things. S-so I'm not sure if it is wise of me to answer just off of what I'm feeling.

It...it's odd. Simply looking at you is enough to make my heart start racing. Spending time with you is always fun, no matter what we do. And...thinking that you might not be looking at me is very disheartening. Sometimes unbearably so. So when I heard what you had to say to me yesterday, I was elated!
I was so happy, I felt like I could jump for joy! But... Then I realized that what we have between us now might change... And that...that frightens me a little.

Forte… I'm a little scared too.

What...?

I had no idea what I would do if you turned me down. I mean, if you did, we couldn't go back to the way we were. Not really. But... I still wanted to be closer to you. I want to hug you and hold you.

And do other things we can’t talk about in a game with this rating.

You wanted to be closer to me...?

Yes. What about you, Forte?

I...I... ...Yes, that's it. I will just protect the whole lot of it together.

What?

Our relationship... This feeling of wanting to be closer. I can protect it all by keeping you safe. And to keep you safe, I'll need to be by your side. Always.

So, pretty much exactly as we have been? Except if she’s going to keep Art safe, she’s going to need to become a hell of a lot stronger than she is now. Some people might suggest an intense training regimen, but screw that, I have access to potent pharmaceuticals with no government oversight!

Then…?

Yes. I am not the most skilled person, but I still hereby pledge my loyalty to you.

Um… I’m asking you to indulge in carnal acts with me, not to swear fealty.

Hey, I’m the prince, these people should swear fealty to me, she’s onto something here.

Uh, I think that's not the right pledge for this kind of thing.

Wh-what? O-oh, um...

But it's very like you, so I don't mind.

Oh...that's good. So, well...what do we do now?

Huh?

I-I mean, um! What, ah, what shall we call each other, now?

You want us to give each other special nicknames?

W-well, not like that! It, ah, it's just a symbol of our new relationship together. So, erm...if there was anything special you had in mind...

I do not like any of these names. Pass.

I was going to just pass on nicknaming entirely, but decided I might as well here. Sir Forte is particularly fitting, but…

Well? What do you think?

Erm... Wh-why does it have to be that particular name?

Lady Forte it is!

Just as Dolce’s thing in the relationship is getting incredibly terse and cold when she’s feeling strong emotions, Forte’s thing is getting very formal. It’s kinda cute.

Again with all the formality...

O-oh, s-sorry... I'm looking forward to our time together, Art.

Me too, Lady Forte.

HAREM COUNT: 2/6. Art still has a way left to go. And trying to show them all off will take up at least as much time as the final dungeons.

Speaking of the rest of the harem…

Wha?

And Ellie. And Venti. And the whole town! ♪

Um, that's not what I meant...

I love you lots, too! And everyone in the whole town! ♪

...Oh.

I have had this conversation with her every single day in the month of Fall.

I-it's my first time, you know...

Don’t worry, I’ll be gentle.

...W-will you stop staring at me?

We’re going to have a lot of fun with this one.

Oh?

Hmm?

I asked for advice about music, remember? And you totally helped me get over my writer's block.

Really? That's great! So what kind of song did you end up writing?

Something explodey, I imagine.

Uh... I-it's a secret...

O-oh...

...'Scuse me?

Just do it. Now.

O-okay... Um... Why are you holding my clothes?

I just...don't like this.

I assure you, this is an entirely random conversation that has nothing to do with my actively cheating on her… but I still feel kinda guilty about it.

NEXT TIME: The plot comes back much faster than I expected

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Glazius posted:

...are the troll options always there, or do you need to be down with the Leon to unlock them for yourself?

Troll options are always options.

There isn't really a system for harems, but apparently lovers have really sad voiced lines if you pass by them with another person in your harem in your party. I'm thinking about getting another boyfriend just to troll Leon.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

I just think this is a funny mental image.

Imagine a million moth-women coming over the horizon. The massive shock waves from their screaming hits the town like tidal waves as buildings crumble and people and animals are battered around like dribbling basket balls. You don't even hear the sounds before you're on your back in a pile of rubble that used to be your house. Then the pink butterflies swarm in. It's kinda beautiful at first until they start to feed, draining everyone and everything of all life until only husks remain..

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 13, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I somehow totally missed posting the second date...

Airship date:

I see.
I couldn’t either.
Huh?
Come on, we’re going.
We’re headed to Airship.

I used to dream of flying in the sky like Venti, long ago.
Never thought my dream would come true so effortlessly.

I’m taking both routes on this, here’s the first one…

In those days, we had magic, but very few machines.
So I never imagined I’d be able to fly through the sky like this.
I had a friend when I was a kid who also longed to fly.
I wish she could see what I’m seeing right now.

Sir Leon…

(Now’s my chance…)
(Now might be my best opportunity to strengthen our relationship.)

...Not going there yet, I’m doing the other route first.

You’re a curious one, aren’t you?
Am I?
Well, all right.
Let’s see…
I’ll tell you a bit about my country’s language. How does that sound?

Uh Frey?

You okay, hon?

It’s been awhile, but you did hit your head pretty hard.

Back to normal?

Back to normal.

Well, this was originally two different countries.
But over the course of history, the two countries merged into one.
And in the end, some culture and language were naturally lost to history.

I see. So the other language is the one what was spoken in the country that got absorbed, then?

Yeah.
There used to be a lot of linguists who would extol the beauty of it.
I never got it back then. But I can understand their feelings a little better now.

You can?

It’s a strange, lonely sensation.
That used to be my homeland and now it’s lost to the ages. Forgotten.

I’ll be taking the other path after this. This date is interesting enough to warrant it.

Are you...
...really trying to feed me that old cliche about it “still existing in my heart” or something?

Ugh…

Well…

I have to admit, spending time with you like this has really lifted my spirits.
Thanks!

...You’re welcome.

(Now’s my chance…)

Hold your horses Frey, we’re doing one more route.

“I’ll be your homeland,” is a dumb, cheesy line that could just as easily piss Leon off as make him happy.

It...worked?

I have to admit, spending time with you like this has really lifted my spirits.
Thanks!

...You’re welcome.

(Now’s my chance…)

Leon is really drat ticklish.

He’s shaking at this point.

Are you sure?

Of course. That’s only natural, right? At evening’s end, the gentleman walks the lady home.

Thank you for seeing me home.

You’re very welcome.
Let’s make sure we do this again sometime, though, okay?
Until next time!

Until next time.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 13, 2017

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Huh, I think that's the first time I've ever seen any media make someone ticklish to head pats.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Mineral Squeek is how it appears in the game, along with Chipsqueek and whatever other squeeks are in the game. I had to double-check that myself.

I know, that's why I pointed it out. The update has it spelled with "ea" there and the screenshot just above it has the correct spelling with "ee".

Got a boy face in the second Forte conversation.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
This was me, I was the dumb idiot doing the Sharance Maze because Act 3 was taking its sweet time dropping in. It was touch and go for a good while, using failed dishes to kill normal enemies, gain a couple levels that way and then an awesome axe dropped from a chest and I could actually scratch bosses. Keeping at it added to my levels and I just sort of stubbornly ground my way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Zagglezig posted:

Huh, I think that's the first time I've ever seen any media make someone ticklish to head pats.

I know, that's why I pointed it out. The update has it spelled with "ea" there and the screenshot just above it has the correct spelling with "ee".

Got a boy face in the second Forte conversation.

I guess I had that backwards or something.

I hit the mother of all roadblocks during the proposal event.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 15, 2017

• Locked thread