Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that guy is just super loving pissed at farmers. drat farmers! Growing the poo poo out of turnips and all that. Did you ever ask the turnip what it wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Glazius posted:

Man, that guy is just super loving pissed at farmers. drat farmers! Growing the poo poo out of turnips and all that. Did you ever ask the turnip what it wanted?

Given that everybody in Norad seems to be a pescatarian, it could be that the Sechs Empire is rabidly pro-meat. An empire of grilltenders, pitmasters, and guys who know how to fry bacon just right.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Well, things are starting to look grim. Not only does the Sechs Emperor have the ability to pull dragons out of his rear end, he also has some kind of giant flying structure, which both he and Arthur have called the Floating Empire.

If this was the kind of game with a world map, there would be a big ominous very definitely final dungeon marker on it now.

But you know what’s more important than going to the final dungeon, beating up an old man, and saving our beloved dragon god king mayor?

I finally have enough base RP that, in conjunction with this Relax Tea, the best I’m capable of making after months of foraging for the best possible colored grasses…

I am capable of turning this fruit…

Into juice!

Yeah, that’s right, loving pineapple juice, which has been holding up my progression on fulfilling requiests, DONE!

It’s very good juice, it’s just silly that it’s so hard to make. For those of you who forgot, the Pineapple Juice recipe can’t be obtained for recipe bread bought from Porcoline. You either have to find it as a treasure in the post-game final dungeon or get it from recipe bread +, obtained from final bosses in the other post-game dungeon. I didn’t feel like waiting, so I ground my skills like mad to increase my base RP, and made the best possible relax tea to boost my RP, so I could make the juice without the recipe.

Making it taught me the recipe, so now I can make as much as I want.

"Pineapple juice is pretty rare. But I sometimes find myself craving it...

This one request is a prerequisite to every other request I haven’t done yet, you can see why I was getting annoyed.

Yes, yes, there’s a giant dungeon floating in the air. I’m here to talk about juice.

Yeah.

It must've been hard to get. Thank you so much! I'll be sure to savor it. By the way, I heard they've started selling more seeds at the general store. You should check it out sometime.

Couldn’t she have just had a craving for orange juice?

The real reward, of course, is that these gold pumpkin seeds are for sale now, going with the golden potatoes I already had. Gold pumpkins are useless on their own (well, you can stick one in a weapon to give you a chance to inflict instant death), but in conjunction with other golden vegetables… well, we’ll get to that.

All golden vegetables have a long growing period and only grow well in winter, so the winter field is gonna be really shiny for the foreseeable future.

And finally, new requests are unlocked.

No,it isn’t. I’ve been past 25% for ages.

"But you're probably the only one who can fill it. I want you to reach 25% on your shipment achievement rate."

Looks like you've reached the mark. Fantastic work.

And the same with this one. Built up a bit of a backlog waiting for that damned juice.

The reward is quite suitable. Turnip Heaven is a great thing to make… except I can’t make it yet, because I need golden turnips. But the game knows that too, and it will provide, in time.

I’m not entirely certain when this unlocked (it might be from beating Sechs Territory), but I could change the background music to the soundtrack from earlier games, if I had a mind to.

The next day, now that I’m able to turn in three more requests.

"It's known as Turnip Heaven. I hope to see it for myself at least once in my life. You'll need a Golden Turnip to make it. And I was able to get one seed, after much effort. So please, make good use of it. It's extremely valuable, though, so please try not to lose it."

And so Arthur has provided me with a seed, so I can grow a gold turnip, and make turnip heaven. Gold turnips take 120 days to grow (cut in half for planting in the winter field, divide by 5 if I max out the plot’s growth stat, 12 days is still a long time, right?). If he thinks I’m keeping this quest in my book the whole time I spend waiting for this turnip to grow, he’s crazy. I’ll get back to you when I get back to you Arthur.

If I was stupid enough to sell it or otherwise lose it, I believe he’d provide another, so it’s not like I could get locked out of 100% completion here.

People are gathering in the square for some festival I’m skipping, because I can do that. And everybody has something to say about Floating Empire.

Yeah, yeah, I’m the most badass dude in the world, I can take whatever they’ve got.

Hey, what festival is this anyway? I don’t even know.

Oh, that old gag. Go ahead Volkanon, tell me about how I’m expected to win so I can disappoint you by saying I’m not participating.

Well gently caress you too. I don’t need to put up with this, I’m going to Leon Karnak.

I am, ever so slightly, capable of fighting monsters here. Leon Karnak pretty much exists to give you something to do between the end of Act 2 and the beginning of Act 3. As long as I take it easy, I can survive here, and get phat lewts.

Platinum is technically from Floating Empire, but it’s hard to come by there, so any extra I can get here won’t hurt. Those devil horns are a devilishly useful upgrade item, boosting both attack and magic attack.

The cats here are vicious little beasts, they’re loving fast, and if you get stuck between two of them they can tear you apart before you have a chance to fight back. Their claws are some of the best attack boosting upgrades in the game though. Certainly the best in Act 2.

Oh gee, a gated off area with a save point next to it? I’m sure it’s perfectly safe and…

Oh, hello Grimoire. Fancy meeting you here.

Those of you familiar with LordHippoman’s LP of Rune Factory 1 have seen this guy before, but he was red then. Those of you who aren’t familiar… well, you should read it, but this guy is a returning boss from RF1. They call him the Grimoire, legendary servant of the gods, or possibly a god himself.

In addition to turning green here, he’s upgraded his arsenal of attacks, and is big on wide AOE moves.

But that’s okay, cause I’m badass and can totally take him, right?

Yeah no. It’s normal for bosses to get a defense boost when they reach their critical phase. But Grimoire’s is enough to make it so I can barely damage him, while he does an even better job ripping me apart. It pretty much ended right there, so I decided to play with some easier bosses.

I got a pet Marionetta by tossing 40 cakes at her. That’s as many as four tens. And that’s terrible.

And Dead Tree likes fertilizer. This was the first time I ever recruited him, turns out he’s too drat big to serve as a companion, I can’t see what I’m fighting if he’s with me.

I also spent some prince points bringing a magic merchant and a rune ability merchant to town. They’re quite useless, I mostly just did it for completionism.

This guy is funny though.

No I don’t know why I planted so many sword flowers either.

Also, it’s Art’s birthday. This town loves festivals for every stupid little thing, the prince’s birthday should have a festival.

It’s a four leaf clover. Unless you’re the greatest practitioner of origami who has ever lived, I doubt you made it.

Forte tried to cook something for me, and managed to produce toxic waste. I’m not complaining, disastrous dishes can be very useful.

Amber gave me honey. I desperately hope she didn’t make it herself.

Leon grilled a poisonous fish for me. Thanks, I think?

But what about Dolce?

Oh. Oh my! Is this allowed in a E rated game?

Well this is just confusing.

Oh. So this has nothing to do with a birthday present. I hope.

Yes, I know everybody in town. That means I can rattle them off quickly when I need to.

It probably shouldn’t be Art, given that he’s two or three times Pico’s size, and has completely different coloration. He’d be a terrible model. I think Dolce was just looking for an excuse to undress him.

Look Dolly, maybe you should hold off on your weird kinks until later in the relationship.

Art is too smart to be this clueless, I think he’s faking it to screw with her.

Apparently three or four Pico-sized outfits. I don’t know how it works.

Well apparently Dolce is into this sort of thing, so Art might have to do it for her once in a while.

Pico actually is this oblivious.

Art, however, is clearly still screwing with her.

It is, of course, entirely possible that she really does have a fever, and that’s why she thinks it’s sensible to dress her boyfriend in miniature girl’s clothing.

Well, after all that fuss, who would even remember something like a birthday?

That is so nice and thoughtful and I already have two of these.

NEXT TIME: Why on Earth would I go save the world right away when I could spend more time screwing around? Including Getting Rich Quick With Turnips!

Poll time, again!

Art and Dolce have such a close and loving relationship, no other woman could ever hope to come between them, right?

Well actually, Art can date as many girls as he wants at the same time. You, the voters, decide! Is Art a one-woman man, or a relentless horndog? Vote on if he should date a second girl, and if so, who she should be. Sadly, there is no harem ending.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There's only one woman in Art's life and it's the one being followed by a ghost child

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
You know you've got a winner when she ropes you into her weird kinks and acts like it ain't no thing.

Clearly Art is a one woman man.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
There's that one room in Leon Karnac with the squirrels where you can farm for an item that can REALLY break the game when used in upgrading.

Marionetta is a pretty decent attacker. It's one flaw is that it has an attack with an extraordinarily long animation which it likes to use on juggled corpses a lot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I... would not think pineapple juice is that tough, but I'm glad you're able to free-form it a little.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

I... would not think pineapple juice is that tough, but I'm glad you're able to free-form it a little.

This is the hardest drat request in the game. There are requests that require growing crops that take a long time, and some that require items you can only get in certain seasons (in order, no less), but this is the only one that requires a recipe that you can't get until the post game.

mastersord posted:

There's that one room in Leon Karnac with the squirrels where you can farm for an item that can REALLY break the game when used in upgrading.

Marionetta is a pretty decent attacker. It's one flaw is that it has an attack with an extraordinarily long animation which it likes to use on juggled corpses a lot.

I thought I had explained the nature of double steel before, but it looks like I just mentioned it in passing, a very long time ago. I'll have to do a second segment on crafting, where I can talk about double/tenfold steel, light ore, and accessory compounding.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Hail Leon, King of the Trolls

More requests to complete, now that I can. Gotta earn my keep around here, you know, when I’m not saving the town, the country, and the entire world.

Okay, maybe 12 days to grow something that ordinarily takes a full year isn’t something to complain about. After quick-growing a golden turnip, and buying a white and pink turnip from the general store, I’m well set to make Arthur’s Turnip Heaven.

For obvious reasons, I’m pretty excited about being able to make this too. This is now my primary money maker.

This is definitely the most expensive thing anybody’s asked me for. I hope he’s appreciative.

How difficult was it to make such a unique dish as this? Thank you so much, Art. I'm very impressed.

You're welcome.

I'll cherish and savor it, as if I'm eating you personally.

If I was playing the female character, I would find that incredibly loving creepy. Scratch that, still creepy.

I d-don't know how I feel about that...

Art agrees with me.

Oh, I was able to get the general store to begin stocking new seeds. So please, make good use of them.

Now I can buy golden turnip seeds. More importantly, I can ship one turnip and then buy them directly, like other vegetables.

Although I will plant some golden turnips, so I can level them up. Level 10 Turnip Heaven! Infinite wealth is mine!

Also not hard to knock out, I had plenty of time to prepare.

It’s summer, so I can get green crystal seeds from the tree at Sercerezo. I wasn’t smart enough to grab a white crystal seed last winter, so when I reach the request that calls for a white crystal flower, I’ll be held up until next winter. It’s annoying, but I’ll have to kill time waiting for Act 3 to start anyway.

I had some fun hawking Turnip Heaven. People around here have some pretty damned deep pockets.

INFINITE WEALTH!

Now, I’m wouldn’t go so far as to say that I’m strong enough to beat Grimoire if we fight on an equal playing field, but one of the major issues in that fight is his ability to spam paralysis. There are simple enough accessories to craft to make me immune to paralysis, but I think we all know by now that I like excessively complicated solutions.

Also, this Talisman is just plain awesome.

Of course, I’m not stupid enough to go for a rematch just yet. I wonder what the word around town is.

I almost want to eat him up!

Forte wouldn't like that.

Oh, that bridge has been crossed already, I assure you! She's gotten quite peeved with me.

Ventuswill almighty, what the gently caress is it with people wanting to eat other people today? I’m going to go talk to somebody normal… yeah, I guess that’s kinda out of the question. I’m gonna see what Vishnal’s up to.

I'm sorry, Leon.

Ahh.

But I think Kiel might. Despite what it looks like, he actually studies a lot and is an avid reader.

I see. So you are saying that, normally, he doesn't seem very bookish or at all smart. Correct?

Wha?!

Leon, when you’re trying to get information, you should probably lay off the trolling.

Even if I was so inclined as to make story progression, one of my usual teammates is otherwise occupied, what with this latest ongoing event.

That’s kind of a rude question. What business is it of yours Illuminata?

And that’s just overly suggestive. I think I need an adult.

But I’ll settle for a date with Dolly.

What would I have to do to be like you?

I suspect that, as long as you hold that desire, you won't be able to do it.

Leon is a pretty insightful guy. I suspect it’s what makes him such a masterful troll.

Oh. Hmm...Maybe I'll start going around without a shirt on, like you do.

Please don’t.

... That sounds like a marvelous idea.

Great, now Kiel needs an adult.

Really?!

You should give it a try when you have the chance. The look on your sister's face would be priceless.

Forte's? Why?

But that is neither here nor there. Have you found anything about that book I mentioned?

Oh! Yeah, I have. But, um...

Yes, it is. Have you read it?

I think so. I might even already have a copy somewhere in my room. Do you want me to look?

Would you? That'd be great if you had a copy on hand.

Okay! ♪

Well, that’s just really super convenient. Good for Leon.

And with that, I need to delay a bit to progress the event. But before ending the day…

One more try. Like before, getting him to critical is easy (and you can see I got paralyzed, which my talisman turns into super speed).

It did not save me. This dragon does not gently caress around.

I shipped that platinum I got before, and now I can buy it from Raven. Certainly beats trying to scrape up as much as I need from Floating Empire (you can’t mine there, you can only get platinum from crates).

But it’s a new day, and more poo poo is going down in town.

Thanks to you jumping out at me, I've dropped my ice cream on the ground!

I didn't "jump out" at you, you weren't watching where you were going! You ran into me!

Are you saying it's MY fault, you flea-bitten, sway-back nag?!

Say that again, you pint-sized, pebble-brained dwarf!!

Okay, I don’t read unresolved sexual tension into every pair of argumentative people like some corners of the internet, but maybe we should lock these two in a room for a while.

What are you talking about?

It's a tale of a happy couple who would do that to make amends.

Huh?

It's written right here in this book.

...Hmph. Whatever. I don't feel like bothering with it now.

Well, confusing people until they stop arguing is an ancient and valued trolling technique.

...Interesting. "A Recipe for Happiness." Apparently a happy couple used this method to make amends when they didn't see eye to eye.

Yes. Though if you think about it, it's just another mushy romance between a besotted couple.

And of course, if you call him out on it being mushy romance, he just gets depressed that you didn’t play along with him.

And then, over in the square…

I see.

H-hey! Why did you walk right past me?!

I don't recall you asking me to stop.

This would be absolutely infuriating if he was doing it to me. But as he isn’t, it’s quite funny.

Rrgh...!

Well, what is it, then?

... I'll be brief. I hear you've been spending a lot of time speaking with Kiel. Can I ask you not to give him any more odd or inappropriate ideas, please? I mean, just this morning he nearly walked out the door with no shirt in order to mimic you.

I think we can all be grateful she nipped that in the bud.

What, he really did it?

Why are you smiling like that? It is NOT amusing!

Well, it really is.

What other disgraceful ideas have you put in his head? Spit it out!

Whatever could you mean?

Erm...

What do you think I'm teaching Kiel?

Good question. Is she accusing him of molesting Kiel, or…?

Things like...erm, how to...to dally with women, and uh...

I’m not sure Leon would know what to do with a woman if he had one to dally with.

Well, I mean, he’s great at getting Forte riled up, but I meant beyond that.

Pardon? I can barely hear you.

Urk! ...Like I said!

You know, I personally believe ignorance is unhealthier than knowledge, regardless of subject.

That may be true, yes, but... Wait! So you could hear me!

I recall saying I could "barely" hear you, not that I couldn't hear you at all.

Why you--!!

I didn’t talk to Kiel that day, and apparently I should have, because this is what he has to say about that.

I tried going out without a shirt on this morning, like Leon does. But Forte saw me. I don't know why, but she got all red and demanded I quit it. ...I guess I didn't leave the shirt off right. What other way is there to do it?

Following Leon around for a few days.

Yes?

Are you on your way to Arthur's office?

I'm going that direction, yes.

Would you do a favor for me? Could you please deliver this letter to Arthur?

I can do that.

Why thank you! Here. Make sure he gets it, okay?

I will.

Leon is very reliable and helpful, when he’s not trolling.

How old is he anyway? Not counting the centuries spent as Sarcophagus, I mean.

There’s a thing in Japanese culture that when you sneeze, it’s because somebody’s talking about you. I guess that’s the reference here.

Oh, hello, Leon. Is this about the ancient text?

Yes, but first Lin Fa asked me to give this to you.

Ahh, so she has another order for me. Thank you, you have saved me the time of getting it myself. Still, for you to act as a messenger-boy...heh heh...

You find that funny?

Well, not funny, but... I was just thinking how very much you have acclimated to life in this town.

He has technically lived here longer than anybody but Venti.

...Mortals are adaptable beings, after all.

Yes. Let us leave it at that, then.

Now then, about that text?

I have finished the translation, but it appears it may have been pointless.

How so?

Well, you see... This was apparently a very well known book. There are translations and even replicas of the original readily available in today's markets.

What is it called?

"A Recipe for Happiness."

Ahh. Yes, I have read that one myself. I was not aware the original was so very old, though.

Yes. It must be from a time even before mine.

Damned old book then.

Oh? And what tells you that?

During my age, we used the same alphabet that is used in present day Selphia. So texts from my age would need no translation.

English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and more languages all use the same alphabet. By Leon’s logic, you don’t need to translate from one to another. Leon, you are a dumb.

However, the writing in this book is a far older script. So I expect it's a very, very old book.

So, when I said earlier that Leon knew the ancient script because it was in use in his time? I was wrong, my bad.

I see.

Personally, this was the first time I've read it. It was rather entertaining.

Ahh. Well, I'm glad it was an enjoyable task for you. You can have the book, if you'd like.

You don't mind?

Better than gathering dust, hidden in the back of some stuffy noble's library.

True.

Now, here are your wages.

... Every time, I must wonder if it's really appropriate for me to get this much for so little work.

Especially considering that the implication here seems to be that he just used the copy Kiel got for him.

Translating is not an easy task. It is certainly worth that much.

Translating, eh...? That ancient script was still in use in a few places, back in my day. Some children may even have been able to read this book in its original form.

But in this era, it is unreadable to all but a handful of people.

So I hear. Every time, I'm reminded anew. In this day, almost nothing from my time remains.

Someday, the words and the script we write today may also fall into obscurity.

That is very possible, yes. And it is equally possible that there are old languages being lost to time right this moment.

And my job is to bring them back to light?

Or to help us remember that they once existed.

I see. Being forgotten is a terrible fate for anything.

Leon... I'm grateful for all the work you've taken on for me. You're quite bright and very conscientious when it comes to your tasks.

Being forgotten is a terrible fate for anything. On the other hand...what about the one who remembers...?

Huh. Well, that’s kind of depressing.

Thank you for wearing a shirt Kiel.

Kiel. Now that I think of it, your help saved me some effort on my latest job. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Oh, I know. As thanks for your aid, let me give this replica of the original to you as a gift.

Oooh, really?

It's just a replica. It's of little worth to Arthur or myself anymore.

Yay! Wait, oh yeah! I was going to ask you something.

Yes?

The original text this book was written in is from your home country, right?

I’m not sure if Kiel just doesn’t know that Leon is local, or if I’m wrong and Venuswill and her priesthood were set up somewhere else back then.

Yes. It's a very, very old script. Even in my time, it was hardly ever used anymore.

Oh. Well. I guess it’s the latter. So Venti, can’t leave Selphia, huh?

Oh, so that's why.

That's why what?

...?

If it just meant listening to what the other person has to say before giving our opinion... Then wouldn't "Let us hear each other's words" be a clearer, cleaner sentence?

...True.

So that got me thinking...maybe it's actually a declaration by the author. He's saying "I'm going to use your words to speak." So just like he declared, he's writing using other people's words. Words that, in his age, hadn't been used in a long, long time. And it was probably meant for someone who could understand those words. You're sitting down and taking time to read and understand what's written... So you should also take time to listen and understand what others are saying. Doing that will help you really see where the other person is coming from. At least, that's what I think the message is. It really seems to fit, though. It's nice, too!

Kiel, that is total bullshit and you are terrible at literary theory.

Then again, total bullshit is half of literary theory, maybe he’s onto something.

There are so few chances to get to see Leon go wide-eyed like this.

He picked that dying language on purpose.

Then... This book may have been written in my era?

Maybe. It'd depend on how long that old script stayed in use. But I think it'd be great if it was. And I bet the author would be happy, too... That you found his book even in this age.

... I see. Yes, that's not a bad thought.

Leon?

I'm sorry, Kiel. Do you mind if I keep this book after all?

Huh? Um, sure. Why?

I think... I think I may have heard what this book has to say.

Oh?

Yes. It says "do not forget me." No matter how painful it is to remember, we still existed. We lived. Please don't forget that.

... Ah. Yeah, that's way better!

Yeah. Thank you for helping me realize that.

You're welcome. ♪

And finally Leon acknowledges Art.

Uh, well...

You just wanted to be with me, I'm sure. You could have simply said so, though. Here, would you like my arm as we walk?

Oh Leon, never change.

NEXT TIME: Well it's not Floating Empire, but I'm gonna at least hit A dungeon.

Poll results:

One-Woman Art: 2

The early voting is leaning toward Art saying true to his lady. Voting will continue until the end of Act 2.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm going to go against the trend so far and say Art should start dating Forte in addition to Dolce.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Art is already getting a two-fer with Dolce. There's no need to go for a three-peat. That's just greedy! ;)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Truthkeeper posted:

I thought I had explained the nature of double steel before, but it looks like I just mentioned it in passing, a very long time ago. I'll have to do a second segment on crafting, where I can talk about double/tenfold steel, light ore, and accessory compounding.

Quit being coy and break the game already. That's what I come to LPs for!

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I think Art should date other girls starting with Forte if we can vote on that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Art should stick by his lady and her creepy creepy marionette.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Art is loyal to his lady and her creepy stalker ghost.

...not just because the other RF4 LP looks like it's going to go after Forte and she's the only other bachelorette I kind of like. The dating prospects of this game are not great.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
We're already dating manic-depression (as 2 separate entities mind you). Do we really need the baggage of another? Besides, you don't want to end up in a trunk skewered with swords, do ya?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Art should expand his dating horizons, mostly because more content is better. I really don't care who as long as it's not Amber(:gonk:).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I find it extremely amusing that you've made such a habit of arranging all your dishes for the extra cash that you even arranged the turnip heaven you gave to Arthur for the request, even though there's no actual reason to do so.

Also, I'm in favor of expanding the harem.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that was some high-caliber trolling. I guess people were more acerbic in ages past.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Expansion gets my vote, but not to Forte. Everyone and their grandmother goes for Forte. Her forte is boredom.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I Am Dragon Slayer, Catcher of Large Fish, and Pineapple Farmer!

Alright, time to go delve a dungeon!

What, you expected Floating Empire? No, I need sweet vengeance against Grimoire. So I crafted up a ring that lets me resist wind, and grabbed my usual party, and we’re gonna kill a dragon.

Got him to critical again. And then immediately after this screenshot he died, dropping no loot, which made me a little sad.

My reward for defeating a potential god? I get to fight arch-daemons! I desire their horns, but not enough to stand around killing them, switching screens to force respawns, and killing them again.

My real reward, of course, is access to orichalcum. The second best ore in the game, and only found in areas after Grimoire, preventing me from obtaining any from the earlier ore nodes in Leon Karnak. The next tier of equipment is mine!

Woo, a scripted treasure chest! These sometimes have useful stuff. In this case, endgame recipes! Which are useless, because they’re farm tool recipes (legendary sickle and blessed hoe), and I already learned those from recipe bread.

A non-scripted random chest had a fiery long sword. It’s not very impressive at this point.

Well, that looks familiar. (So does the Rune Ability I found in a chest here)

Oh hey, it’s those assholes I had to fight to get to Leon! Which of course means this area was really part of Leon Karnak, and not one of those funky Forest of Beginnings areas.

Ultimately, your answer here doesn’t matter.

Unfortunately, I can’t progress any further here yet. Here are the rails, you will follow them.

The only real reason I went back was for the orichalcum, so I could make some better punchy-punchies. These are the best fists available before hitting the final dungeon.

Although I did the Grimoire fight again for shits and giggles, and was rewarded with a scale.

Then I mass murdered cats for a while so I could steal their claws.

Malm Claw is worth 121 attack. 10-fold steel (contrary to its name), gives 8 times the bonus of the previous item. Glitta Augite increases the range of a weapon.

Ambrosia’s Thorn doesn’t have impressive stats, but it is an easily accessible means of adding sleep to a weapon. Warriors Proof adds 58 Strength (and a bit of instant death resistance). And rare cans may or may not increase item drop rates (nobody’s ever conclusively proved it one way or another).

Another Malm Claw of course, Devil Horn is worth 55 attack, and Big Crystal is another 40.

Plus assorted bonuses for the levels of the materials, their rarity, and their smithing difficulty.

It’s not the best possible weapon, and hardly game-breaking (I’ll need something to show off between Acts 2 and 3, and during Act 3) but it will more than handle things for the rest of Act 2.

Also, taking advantage of it being summer, I filled a few fields with pineapples. It’s easy extra pocket money when I don’t feel like making turnip heaven, and harvesting them will get me a nice haul of rune orbs and rune spirits. It’s the best way to grind skills and stats.

Well poo poo. Really should have tried to knock this out before finishing Water Ruins, because having Dylas around makes fishing contests needlessly difficult.

Yeah. Yeah.

Besides my neverending giant King Pineapple plants in the summer field, I also grew a green crystal flower.

Having already turned in the blue crystal, green is next in the rotation, then red, and ending with white.

Now I’m stuck waiting until winter to get the white seed.

Um, I’m not sure fishing works that way.

Better you than me Pico.

Meg seems very busy.

"Yes. She can't seem to sit still."

As if you have any right to talk about that.

It looks like she's on patrol. Do you think there are people who would really try to cheat?

Cheating will not be tolerated in any way. I will personally deal with anyone caught doing so.

Wow, that's so cool!

Y-you think so?

Forte! Perfect timing.

It seems I'm needed already.

Hmm? Oh, yes. You see, that person over there, he's—

Understood. Looks like someone needs a lesson in proper manners.

YIKES!! No, he's lost! He just needs some directions!

Way to go Meg. You just got some poor guy murdered.

Alright, I have seriously neglected fishing, so my fishing skill is poo poo. I might as well make up for it by making the best fishing pole in the game.

Heh, please. After all that trouble to make pineapple juice, this is nothing.

There we go.

The goal of this contest is to catch the biggest fish. I’m not really sure that any season has larger fish than the others, but I decided to go to Silver Lake, the Winter fishing spot.

In retrospect, I wish I had been able to make water walking shoes for this. Bigger fish tend to stay further out.

That’s pretty good. Not the best, but pretty good.

It lost, of course. And so I reloaded and tried again. And again. Until finally…

loving finally!

I’d feel insulted if it wasn’t true. I still kinda feel insulted.

Truly I am the prince of all farmers.

I finally got sick of tripping over all the crap in my room, and decided to shell out for an expansion.

Sadly, this means I have to move poo poo around. Furniture organization, the game!

It’s a pretty nice bit of extra space. I used to use this room for the three crafting stations, before I got used to keeping them outside, now it’s more useful for the various cooking stations,

That’s a bit easier to move through.

Now I have plenty of time to relax… wait, wasn’t there something I was supposed to do?

NEXT TIME: Hey rear end in a top hat, stop screwing around and save the drat world!

Ongoing poll results:

Stick with Dolce: 6

Sleep around: 5

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stick with Dolce.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Polyamory

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jesus Christ, goons can barely get one woman. Stick with monogamy.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Be loyal.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Expand the dating pool

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Date everyone! Show the world why you are the King of princes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Whatever option has the least votes.

What? It's how everyone else is voting. :v: (Seriously, don't count this as a vote, I'm just being silly.)

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Remember. Pin Cushion!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Feel the storm of our loyalty

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do pineapples still take all summer to grow?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Spread them wild oats

Seeing more content is always good, if the game doesn't punish you for it I don't see why we need to worry about being faithful to this anime.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Wow, the voting is staying neck and neck. I knew lots of people liked Dolce (she was voted Art's love interest after all), but I never realized she would be so popular with you guys. I'm about to post an update that will take us right to just before the final battle of the act. When the following update finishes Act 2, voting will end.

Glazius posted:

Do pineapples still take all summer to grow?

By default, a pineapple takes 28 days to grow. BUT WAIT! Pineapples have only one preferred season, summer, during which they grow at double speed (and half speed every other season), so 14 days. BUT WAIT! I've dumped enough chemicals in my field to qualify as a toxic waste dump, increasing the growth speed even further! So yeah, I can grow pineapples in just a few days, and get them to regrow every other day. I've been using the Summer field for them pretty much since I unlocked pineapples.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

The Very Last Sechs Jokes, I Promise

I like this background. I’ve skipped showing off most of the special screens that appear on the bottom screen during cutscenes, because even when they’re special (as opposed to just the game’s logo that gets used in most cutscenes), they’re still dull. But this one is rather nice.

And it means that poo poo IS GOING DOWN! OR UP! poo poo IS MOVING IN A DIRECTION!

I’d regret not bringing Forte and Dolce with me (truth be told, I didn’t mean to do this yet, I clicked on it by accident and decided to run with it), but it’s not like anything left here is really threatening to me.

Alright, Act 2, final dungeon, Floating Empire! With music!

Oh, did I say final dungeon? Because it’s more like final three dungeons. Rather than multiple floors or areas separated by barriers, the schtick here is that Floating Empire is split into three areas, each accessible from the start, each with its own boss.

This blocked path here leads to Ethelberd, and requires that those three bosses be defeated. So, three mini-dungeons.

I started with Floating Empire West, because I’m a glutton for punishment. West Empire is a teleporter maze. I am loving terrible at mazes in general and teleporter mazes in particular. It’s your standard teleport into a room with two teleporters, pick one, repeat, and a solid third of the teleporters send you back to the start. It’s not even a very big maze, I believe it maps to a 8x8 grid, but like I said, I’m bad at this.

New dungeon of course means new enemies with new drops. Lots of decently powerful stuff here, but nothing as good as I what I was pulling out of Leon Karnak.

There’s no point to going between the blocks here, except to learn that you can walk between blocks in some places, which will be used later.

There’s a variety of mechanical enemies here, showcasing Sechs’ technological prowess. Hover Warriors and Hover Soldiers have automatic guns and lasers (but hell if I can remember which is which). For obvious reasons, mechanical enemies can’t be tamed. No barn full of tanks for me.

And of course more loving fairies.

Magical potions restore 50% HP. They’re nice to have, but I’m perfectly capable of making as many as I need.

Well, I mean, it’s nice, but I’m kind of a ridiculously wealthy turnip tycoon, so… yeah.

Another puzzle of weigh down a switch with an item (or party member) to lower a barrier to get to another switch, repeat endlessly.

And eventually, after going through the maze so many times until I eventually didn’t gently caress it up, I reached the first boss, Sechs Golem!

I try to keep rough jagged rocks out of my Sechs, but hey, you do you.

Sechs Golem is tough if you don’t have a ridiculously overpowered weapon, his defense is absurd. He has a spinning attack which is difficult to dodge, and a rocket punch that isn’t.

Naturally, I tore him apart.

Breaking the first of the three locks.

My reward for beating the oversized Sechs doll is a chance to wander around trying to find the invisible path through the crates.

There was a treasure on the other side of it. So I guess my real reward for the boss fight was the top-tier water spell, Delta Laser (shoots three water lasers at 120 degree angles). It’s… not very good.

Also, the fist rune ability cyclone, which is really just lackluster. It’s a spinning attack, at fist weapon range.

And that was West!

Next up, Floating Empire East! Which tells you straight out as soon as you get here that the gimmick in this section is colored barriers. Lots. And lots. And lots. Of colored barriers.

Plenty of old friends, like the unkillable carnivorous plants.

One more appearance of the rhythmically shooting firespouts.

loving TANKS! Haven’t gotten to fight a Sechs tank (actually properly called a Gasham) since RF1. I guess they’ve been working on the technology, making them smaller and capable of moving without a system of rails. This one fires a giant laser cannon that would be terrifying if it wasn’t really slow.

And naturally, the boss is another really big tank. Sure Ethelberd, because this worked out so well for you last time. I wonder what the Imperial Sechs tax must be like that he can afford all these wonderful Sechs toys.

Sechs Tank likes to run me down. When it isn’t trying to do that, it can fire two lasers at once, or spin around while firing machineguns on full auto. It has a crazy screen-filling laser it does at critical health, but I screwed up getting a shot of it.

Gashams dropped rusty screws, Sechs tank dropped a shiny screw. Maybe the Gashams are just the old tanks from the previous Norad invasion?

The second lock opened!

I spent a lot of time wandering around trying to finish exploring the map and getting my well-deserved loot.

Including this room. Those lasers are slow and easy to dodge, it’s harder when the screen is filled with them.

My rewards for this area are Avenger Rock, the top-tier Earth spell. It’s alright.

And the short sword rune ability Round Break Again, it’s alright, not great. I really don’t care for rune abilities that much., except for a select few (Axel Disaster all day every day).

And more treasure, hidden behind a block and switch puzzle. Each switch causes some blocks to appear or disappear, and you have to figure out the combination that clears a path to the chests.

It wasn’t a hard puzzle, but it still wasn’t worth it.

The map makes it look so simple.

I used Escape to teleport back to the entrance… and it sent me to Yokmir Cave. The gently caress rear end hell balls?

But I made my way back up to handle the third area, Floating Empire South! The schtick here is powerful winds that you can’t run against at all, making certain hallways one way.

But the real difficulty are Thunderbirds. That little bird is capable of unleashing a lightning attack that hits everything in melee range (and extends outward in every direction) with nasty knockback. Trying to fight two or more at a time is a fool’s errand.

Also, I’ve kinda been in this dungeon for two days now, and poor Art is feeling it. I guess the nice thing to do would be to go home and get some rest. I’ve put it off for so long, I’m sure the world can wait 8 hours or so.

Nah.

A helpful treasure chest provided me with a Green Core, a crafting item worth a fair amount of magic defense that I would otherwise be hunting some pretty elusive fairies for. By itself, it’s alright, but if you complete the set… well, we’ll get to that later.

The old hit the switch get surrounded trick. Classic. I will murder you all.

Wait, they’re robots, or drones, or some poo poo. Great! Always nice to get to cut loose on a robot!

It’s honestly the easiest of the three area, and it culminates in… another tank fight. Well that’s kinda dull.

Armored Tank+ (I guess maybe it’s an improvement to the tank from RF1? What else would I compare it to?) is stationary, so at least I don’t have to worry about being run down this time. It has a small variety of elemental attacks, as well as lasers and bullets. Do you need bullets if you already have lasers? Seems excessive.

And beating the tank unlocked the third lock, clearing the path to Ethelberd.

My reward for clearing this section is an invisible stone, which I have many of, and can mine many more. This is just disappointing.

This one actually was as simple as it looked. I missed two rooms, which would bug me if they had anything in them.

And so the final boss battle looms ahead.

NEXT TIME: I dunno, maybe I’ll go fishing?

Ongoing poll results:

Stick with Dolce: 10

Sleep around: 9

Voting continues to be very, very close. Her loyal legion of legitimate supernatural and immortal goons currently hold the lead though.

(Wait, if the pro-monogamy faction are Hellsing, does that make the polygamists Nazis?)

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 29, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

And naturally, the boss is another really big tank. Sure Ethelberd, because this worked out so well for you last time.
And this time he's up against an Earthmate who's not battling against terrible game mechanics! I'm really not sure how he thought this would pan out.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
THERE'S NO TIME FOR SLEEP, NOT WHEN THERE'S A MADMAN TO BE DEFEATED AND RUNE SPHERES TO RETRIEVE! We worked hard to get those, dammit! Also, I vote you stick with Dolce! One woman (equipped with a stalker ghost) is enough for Art! And I am clearly not doing something right, I'm having trouble in the floating empire. :argh: Of course, the problem might be that I just don't like it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Ethelberd and his obsession with TANKS will never not be my favorite thing about him.

(Rune Factory 1 Spoilers Kinda)

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Music Junkie posted:

And I am clearly not doing something right, I'm having trouble in the floating empire. :argh: Of course, the problem might be that I just don't like it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm breezing through this by virtue of being silly overleveled and overgeared. The overgearing was intentional, it was half the reason I went to Leon Karnak early in the first place (plus I spent a lot of time improving my gear so I could do better there). Plus I went crazy grinding skills to increase my max RP because loving PINEAPPLE JUICE, so my stats are also significantly higher.

Sadly, the place is kinda dull, as far as evil imperial final dungeons go.

LordHippoman posted:

Ethelberd and his obsession with TANKS will never not be my favorite thing about him.

He claims to have learned that there are powers greater than tanks when he was talking about his plans for the Rune Spheres. Maybe these tanks were just in the budget anyway and he felt like he needed to do something with them? He clearly doesn't expect them to stop or even really slow down Art.

And I had forgotten how much younger he looked in RF1. Going crazy must be murder on your skin.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

He claims to have learned that there are powers greater than tanks when he was talking about his plans for the Rune Spheres. Maybe these tanks were just in the budget anyway and he felt like he needed to do something with them? He clearly doesn't expect them to stop or even really slow down Art.
Look, if you know how much of a hassle it is to get a new budget through the Sechs Senate Appropriation Comittee in order to move funds from tanks into Rune Spheres, you would rather use them as chaff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Wonder if these latest tanks and golem were leftovers from the programs prior to plan rune sphere dragons. Good enough to put on the floating island, but not to focus production on when resources could go to the new stuff.

Truthkeeper posted:

top-tier water spell, Delta Laster

• Locked thread