Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Blind Duke posted:

The big problem with playing as Frey is all the bachelors being duds

Volkanon being a romance option would immediately invert that situation though

Hey, there's like two good bachelors for Frey. Or at least there's a decent bachelor, and another one who seems interesting, but wants Lamp Squid so gently caress that.

A bachelor and a half.

E: You can't decide when festivals happen, only if they take place at all.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

HenryEx posted:

I dunno, there's.... Arthur? The boring choice, but a decent guy. Can surprise you in little ways. Not really exotic, but a solid husband. also, royalty
Basically all other bachelors can eat a dick, though. Endless bumbling and failure aren't funny. Get hosed, horse dude. And don't get me started on ~mysteriously mature riddling koan wannabe~ or dwarves.
The only other good choice is sadly a kid. :gonk:

edit: the most charming and :3: choice for bachelorettes is sadly also a kid, so at least there's gender equality, i guess

Hahaha I don't trust Arthur as far as I can throw him, this whole debacle is his fault. Yeah, just make an amnesiac girl play farm slave while you totally don't perform espionage on your own country. (I meant horse dude , to be honest.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Aithon posted:

Where do you get all this milk? Do you just buy it? I got a cow monster later on but I guess it's a bull, because it just drops horns.

Instead, my healing item of choice is dozens upon dozens of pickled Sweet Potatoes.

You have a buffalo monster, I suspect. If you want milk you need a proper black and white Holstein-looking cow. Then it's hot milk all day erry day.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Hot Milk is used for restoring RP more than HP, it's a godsend if you're doing heavy crafting/farming/magic nonsense. There is some good poo poo from crafting. Good poo poo. And I'll say that crafting is an entire rabbit hole of grinding in and of itself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Use Spears, because Fists sound cool but from what I remember they send you rocketing all over and you end up falling offscreen or into hazards or through a passageway you didn't want to enter.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Shwqa posted:

Ugh town events in this game are the worst. Even with save scumming I can't get "memories".

It took at least full in-game year for me, so I ended up getting married and having a kid while waiting for it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I never bothered expanding the farm very much, I barely had the patience to deal with the first plot of land, let alone all the extra fields. Mostly the second field is a place for me to collect bonus stone and lumber. Sometimes I'll plant a tree over there and forget about it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dear Diary: Today I punched a butterfly so hard it turned into a lady.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the way it works is that while various plant drugs can change your soil stats, some of your Overall/Growth/Number/Quality/Size stats increase whenever you harvest anything. So while generally your dirt will become better dirt over time, the best way to cheese it is to grow apples.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've played a lot of games, with a lot of bonkers crafting systems, but RF4's high-end nonsense may well rank among the worst. Best? Most ridiculous. That hidden-rarity mechanic is a nightmare.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You punched a horse so hard he became a man. In return, say goodbye to all of your fishing trophies, forever.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why is a horse so good at fishing anyway? Like the butterfly girl working at the flower shop makes sense, but "horse --> fishing" is nonsense.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's a few things about Twinkle Trees though. You can harvest them indefinitely, so long as you restore their HP before you leave the screen. Just carry a few clovers and you can throw one in and keep chopping.

Also, they have a small chance of dropping 'Glitta Augite', a mineral(?) that you can forge into a weapon to increase its range. Combine that with a few late game crafting tricks and you can punch fools from halfway across the screen.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What do you need all the turnip seeds for? Just make some cheap bracelets and boots and yarn or something.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can't transfer stat bonuses from old equipment to a new*, so yeah you're expected to periodically trash and remake everything. Um, make sure you have good stat bonuses on your armour as well, and don't forget that certain weapon types don't let you get stats from shields. If you're really stuck focus on town/farm duties for a few months, when I won one of the festivals the prize I got was a spear with 3x the attack power of my best weapon.

*I'm almost absolutely certain but crafting in this game is bull so, caveat. Also you can transfer a weapon's 'base attributes' and its weapon category with a Light Stone if you want to get up to niche nonsense. Also boots and accessories can transfer certain attributes but again gently caress crafting. I am sure I have spent at least 20 hours of this game angrily blacksmithing.

Edit: I know all of my posts are complaining but I do actually like this game. I just think crafting is bullshit.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 28, 2016

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm voting Margaret because
1) She's pretty great
2) Porcoline De Saints Coquille is the best father-in-law
3) Definitely not underage
4) If she's your healer, that frees you up for more killing power

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

JamMasterJim posted:

I guess most Clorica fans are sleeping.
Oh well.
One for Clorica

James, my dear, you can't marry the help. It's so... so gauche!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There are also a few foods, (mostly grilled fish) that boost your max RP. Most of them don't increase it by very much, but there's one high-end drink that gives you a +25% boost and that can help a lot.

e: Also I forgot that all those stat boosts literally double if the food is high enough level, so extra fancy tea is crazy good.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 15, 2016

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The jerk won't even go easy on you if you marry him.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For a moment, I thought you meant that your mom regularly denied the existence of mice.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Nancy is running the clinic instead of Jones, (I think it's based on the time of day?) she only charges you half. There's also a discount if you wiped out while adventuring with your Boyfriend / Girlfriend.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You have to use fully grown clover, and what you do is harvest it, drop one back onto the field, and whap it with your hoe. I don't know if you can actually do it instead of harvesting. Anyway one clover heals a 2x2 field back to full health, and you get multiple clovers per plant, so it's a good idea to stock up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dylas likes milk dishes too, and his other favourite is Milk Porridge, which is just Milk + Rice. This was not an insignificant factor in choosing him.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
One year I just kinda gave up and canceled every festival I could so I could focus better on both item farming and agricultural farming. On one hand I kinda felt like a jerk but on the other hand I was kinda strong armed into the farm princess job and it's not like they had a background check or anything.

Honestly, fake royal or no, the ability to just kinda go 'gently caress the holidays' just makes me feel drunk with power and I'm a natural curmudgeon.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The pet names are kinda terrible across the board, Dylas' options include 'Dally, ' 'Bro, ' 'Horsie, ' and 'Big D'.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Weapons get pretty poo poo-crazy if you can handle the crafting, but there's something to be said for casting Prism and body slamming the enemy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Art should stick by his lady and her creepy creepy marionette.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, if Dylas and Amber leave the party, that just means some event has occurred, not necessarily the one you're aiming for. Also there may be hidden friendship requirements for it to trigger. It took over an in-game year for me, long enough to get married and have a kid.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We can probably argue that Earthmates are the only people who can consistently level up crops. Like, once you ship high level seeds, other people can presumably grow them but the protagonist seems to be the only person who can take a low level seed and grow better seeds from it. Also animal produce. Can you even buy high level milk/eggs/etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh god, Bread+. Fuuuuck farming for bread+.

• Locked thread