Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Alavaria posted:

Is this... really what I think it is?

Yes, if you're thinking RF3. Fun fact: When I played RF3, I thought that you needed to knock enemies up into the air to throw them. All you need is to land a punch and you can throw to your heart's content. To be fair to past-me, RF3 isn't too clear on that point though, and throwing midair enemies is extra effective.

Fists are actually my favorite weapon to use for fun reasons, but longswords are king in this game. Standard attacks are kinda meh, but can hit multiple enemies each swing unlike most other weapons(and fairly easily too) so thats a plus. There's a particular skill (I think it was called Flash Strike) that will just carry you through the game forever. Only issue with that skill is being locked into animation. In fact, I got huge mileage out of all the longsword skills, but that's discussion for another time.

This game is fairly balanced weapons wise. You can get away with using anything really, and you can feel when your fast, short range swords don't do enough damage to a beefy enemy, or your heavy weapon leaves you wide open versus smaller ones. I want to vote for either Staff, Axes, or Fists. Fists because FIST and Volkanon, axe/hammer because I never used them, and staves because of the mechanics behind crafting your own. You can make some awesome staves pretty much as soon as you can craft, and it's always fun to experiment with the system. Note that I want to see staff usage rather than just magic with the staff, it's no fun to not play around with the central mechanic of the weapon.

I never liked dual swords in RF4, fists covered my fast weapon needs and I never quite understood the benefit of duals over fists. Axe/Hammer I never even touched because they still seemed kinda terrible. It might just be my RF3 prejudice talking there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

As a person who hasn't played a Harvest Moon game in a while, where's a good game to get back into the groove? Is it Rune Factory 4?
Rune Factory 3 is a great starting place for getting into the RF side of things, but be warned because it will spoil you. Everything in RF3 and RF4 is so fast compared to every other game in the harvest moon/rune factory franchise, and I love it. Rune Factory 4 is RF3, but more of everything with a few tweaks here and there that make it play even smoother.

RF1 is a clunky bit of gaming that plays exactly like the premise: they took a harvest moon game and put a sword in your hand. It's as awkward as it sounds and definitely feels unpolished, but still fun. RF2, on the other hand, is still about as awkward, and just feels worse to me in general but that might be me going back to it after RF3

Most main series harvest moon games are the same, with some having more effort put into them than others. I'm not really knowledgeable about the details of the main series. I hear the harvest moon that isn't called harvest moon (I think it was Story of Seasons or something like that) is pretty good if you're looking at a more recent entry.

• Locked thread