Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Glazius posted:

A dungeon that you actually... grow in your fields. What a perfectly Rune Factory thing.

Sadly, it's not really all that useful for a wide variety of reasons unless you're taking a long time to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

So is Leon the main source for better magic?

Leon is the source for upgrading magic. A fireball level 2 does more damage than fireball level 1, but is otherwise identical.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

Dang. It seems like kind of late in the game to be getting magic upgrades, at least compared to weapons.

It's not that bad. There's a lot more content in the game, and magic does scale with magic attack on weapons, so magic upgrades are nice, but not required. The real problem is that thanks to the phenominal weapon upgrade system, magic becomes obsolete pretty quickly once you get some of the more exotic materials and the smithing skill to use them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cyclone is actually amazing! It's not fist weapon range, it's the range of the weapon you have equipped. Given that there are items that can be forged onto a weapon to up weapon range...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

Huh. My initial playing around with it made it seem like it had lower range than comparable abilities (Stardust Upper is my usual choice of AOE attack if I'm going to use one). And yeah, I freely admit I haven't showed off range mechanics as much as I should (I'm not going to actually use a fist that can punch across the entire screen but I'll make one to show off during the wait til Act 3).

Yeah, cyclone pretty quickly became my go-to ability to use with a range-enhanced long sword. One press of the button would hit the entire screen of enemies multiple times and slam them into the walls/kill them instantly. The other neat thing is that it bounces you away from everything you hit, so you end up naturally evading a lot of enemy attacks while still getting in great damage. It's also super fast to use, has a short cooldown, and you can move while hitting it, so you can incidentally clear out a screen while walking to the other side (and if you time it right, the knockback from hitting enemies will propel you towards your destination!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

There are reasons why Leon is my favorite bachelor.

Challenge accepted!

Seriously though, it's a pain in the rear end, but it is sort of doable. In the sense that you go in with a rosary so you only have to fight bosses, and kit yourself out with as many crit boosts as you can get. Critical hits bypass defense, making it possible to kill bosses far beyond your level. But it's difficult, leaves you still squishy as gently caress, and is barely worth the effort.

Actually, it's pretty trivial. I went through Sharance long before Rune Prana unlocked, and was farming the final boss with ease. The trick is to tame a high level rideable monster in the maze, and wear the pendant that boosts its stats by 50%. Use that to explore the maze and level up to the point where you're comfortable taming a boss, and then tame a high level boss and wear that same pendant.

Boom, you're now basically capable of beating the entire maze. Ride the boss (bosses are immune to status effects so you can't get knocked off) and kill enemies using it. Feed it crit boosting items every day so that it can do appreciable damage and then go tear everything up. If you need a boost in power on later floors, tame a boss there and resume.

• Locked thread