Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man I'm excited for this LP. I got RF4 on the Christmas sale and am still playing it. It is basically the best harvest moon I have played.

Also I managed to get second place in the first cooking contest by grabbing the hidden food in the restaurant and entering with that.

My vote goes towards staves. I never used them but hear they get crazy. I want to see them in action.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If I knew the game has a bachelorette named Forte I'd have voted for you to name Art Gospel and woo her, but as is she's not very interesting on first glance so eh.

Luckily you can change your name.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh town events in this game are the worst. Even with save scumming I can't get "memories".

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

RP is your kind-of-magic points, right? Makes sense you'd spend more of it pouring earthpower into the ground than you would bonking monsters on the head.

RP is your stamina. Each action you take except normal attacks and talking uses some RP. Usually crafting and plowing a field are what drain your stamina the fastest. Magic RP cost is based on the spell but most have a pretty low cost.

Your current RP is never really a problem. Food is plentiful, bath houses are cheap, and there is a free to regain that I don't think the LP has seen yet. However max RP is a constant issue. That make more sense as the LP goes on.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

I once got a love potion off a random drop, and I just figured 'okay using this will probably have some negative consequences, I'll try it out on another save'

most of the girls get sorta uncomfortable because you just tried to magically change how they feel about you ya creep

Amber and Xiao Pai get confused and a little scared, because you are trying to seduce little girls you loving creepo

I don't there is an repercussions to love potions. I think it is just a decent lp/fp gain.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

As a person who hasn't played a Harvest Moon game in a while, where's a good game to get back into the groove? Is it Rune Factory 4?

Yeah rune factory is a really nice harvest moon. If you just want to do normal nonsense like put seeds in the ground and milk cows you can. And there are lots of quality of life changes.

If you want level 10 uber plants 4x the size of normal plants. while your hoard of cow produces enough level 10 milk to flood a village. And producing gourmet food with those plants and milk and making a fortune each day. You can do that too.

Each level increases the selling price by 10% for your information.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Grow times in this game can get very long for all the top tier plants. Gold cabbage isn't even the slowest plant. Some take over a year to grow. However though some trickery and luck you can dramatically reduce grows time. Like 1/6 to 1/8 of the grow time the seed claims to need.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Funny thing about all the cameo characters is they have a massive multiplier for friendship points because they aren't always in town. Because Raven sell randomized crafting material I talk to her whenever I can. She is like 10 friendship levels above my levels with forte, despite handing forte her favored item every single day for a year.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

Does the game get a greenhouse type area for extra fields? The field you were given didn't look especially large compared to a Harvest Moon field and if it's your only source of wood to chop, then I have to wonder. Granted the adventuring is probably a little more robust in giving you stuff than HM's wilderness exploration.

There are permanent seasonal fields for each season. Though the spring one is tiny. And then you can expand on your personal farm to three times the size.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I usually keep the main field for good crops for that season. That is where I use greenifier+s and try to make level 10 crops or money making crops. Then I use one other field to just plant a ton of turnips. Turnips seems to be a good intersection of low maintenance, quick growth, and decent skill orb return. Then I use the winter field for golden plants. And my autumn field for pumpkins. Boiled pumpkin is just so cheap and easy for RP regeneration. And for a while veggie smoothies were my biggest money maker.

Veggie smoothies made a ton of money by selling them at your shop. I never used it most of the game, but it seems most people will buy stuff at a general 20-30% price increase, but sometimes way higher than that. That ended being about 12,000 a smoothie. Usually there is 4-6 people in the center in the early morning, so I would quick sell to all of them each day. And tourism really increases the amount of random buyers.

Long story short the shop is actually really good in the late game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

mastersord posted:

Funny how you got a golden cabbage in the woods. I found a level 10 Turnip there in my game.

That is honestly probably more valuable in the long run.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Not even having a full set of tools yet seems a little bit early to be challenging the first boss. Maybe that's just me.

On normal mode I managed to kill the boss on the first day without forte. Hard just makes things... well harder.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

In RF4, you no longer expend RP running around or fighting, only using magic or doing farming or crafting. At least, that's what I recall.

Running doesn't use RP. Basic attacks don't use RP. Combo attacks do use RP.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

silversatyr posted:

YES!

I have a thing for quirky characters and I would date the hell out of the sillier ones, but in regards to that particular character, I just really like her pizzazz. Also, detective. We could go on detective dates together. It would be grand!

You can marry the "wacky" underaged being that is actually hundreds of years old. Or the "silly" chinese girl that falls all the time.

they are both so bad. Why can't we have the detective? She doesn't have any story reason to leave her out other than she might be 30 and that would be too old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tarezax posted:

So, a fun thing you can do with failed dishes (at least in RF3): you know how you can feed food to animals to befriend them and get them on your farm? Well, you can feed things to any monster in the game, and all the food effects apply... including on bosses. Throw a Super Fail dish at a boss for fun times.

EF4 does the same thing. And with failed potion as well, they give every status effect. Failed potion are actually useful in RF4 because you can level up resistances. In the early game you can give yourself every status effect for some quick stats and RP.

Edit: whoops I thought this was the RF1 thread. I spoilered it because it is game mechanics we haven't seen yet.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 4, 2016

• Locked thread