Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Hey, you got me playing this stupid game again, this time as a girl. I'm trying some stuff I haven't done before. Would it be alright if I posted a partial LP of some of the different stuff? I don't want to step on any toes, but it doesn't really warrant its own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Official art of the female protagonist:

Honestly, her hair not being weighed down by her hair ties bothers me more than the nipple chain at this point.

Okay, let's play some of Rune Factory 4 as a girl this time!

First, I would like to thank the OP for making this, as Rune Factory is awesome and getting screenshots off a 3DS sucks. I'm stuck taking taking screenshots through Miiverse and it is a remarkably stupid system. Also, I'm starting this in the mid fall of the first year, after the end of Act 1, but before the beginning of Act 2 when the Sechs invasion happens. Partially this is because I want to see any potential dialogue between Venti and ~*~*~*~my boyfriend~*~*~*~, partially because I want to see Venti in human form, and well...

We start the game in pretty much the exact same way, except...

Sechs soldiers aren't very smart. They just walk around randomly while occasionally swinging their swords. They do occasionally hit you if you just stay still...

but even if you do, you can't go below 1 HP. It took me a good five minutes of me running into their swords to get to this point.

The dialogue here is pretty much the same, so we're skipping ahead. I hadn't planned on making a mini LP, I didn't want to restart the game, and most of the game is already being covered. There are a few cute lines from the boys that you only get as a girl, but you're not missing that much. In previous games, I've married Arthur, realized that while I like Vishnal I really couldn't stand having Vic Mignona as my husband, Doug is stupid, and Kiel looks like a kid and has the same engagement event as Forte. This leaves Dylas and Leon. I'm going with Leon.

Fun fact: Act 2 does not start until you trigger it. You only trigger it if you use the front gate in and out of Selphia by walking through it. However, we can still go anywhere we want thanks to the escape spell, which will transport you directly to your room. All you have to do is remember to not walk through the gate and you could play into eternity without the Sechs invasion and everyone happy forever.

I can do most of my farming stuff, and thanks to the gold ore I found in a chest in the Lava Ruins, I can upgrade to a scythe that will let me get to level 10 veggies and a watering can that covers a 9x9 (or 18x18 if you’re counting that way) area. I just have to settle for mediocre fertilizers, not getting a spring field, and no dungeon crawling for the next few seasons….

Or do I?

I missed dungeon crawling and wanted to try something new, so I decided to try tackling Maya Road early. My melee weapons were pretty much useless, but luckily…

Magic is pretty effective.

These birds are super important, by the way. Why?

I’d been getting hit pretty hard, so this was a lifesaver.

There are some cool things about doing Maya Road early. First off, a look at some of the pillars that the soldiers use to block your way:

The soldiers never hit the switches, so the barriers have not been raised.

Some of them are still up though.

Gold ore!

And an awesome surprise waiting for me at the end of the dungeon!

Orange grass is an ingredient in two things: Greenifier + and Relax Tea. Greenifier + increases your crop level better than Greenifier and Relax Tea massively increases your max RP. This is vital for crafting. Orange grass mostly only shows up in the spring area, so seeing it here is a big deal.

This is the final room of Maya Road. A boss is normally here, but is not right now.

Just past Maya Road…

We’re here for some Sechsy times. Mostly we are here for this:

White grass. It’s needed for Formula C, the best formula in the game to get crops to grow quickly, as well as an ingredient in Relax Tea. This is the entire reason why I wanted to get through Maya Road. Getting orange grass was a lovely bonus.

There are enemies to fight and there are crafting drops and stuff and…

Another boss room with no boss in it.

And now I can play my game forever with nothing bad ever happening.

Next time: Together with Leon!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Glazius posted:

Kind of surprised you can't cultivate those colored grasses on your farm.

It makes them a rarer commodity, makes you go out and explore outside town, and encourages progressing through the game. It can be annoying though.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Once There Was a God in This Town

ACT II - END

I'm glad there isn't a rotting dragon corpse in the middle of the room.

I need to see where I left off and try to get some more done. I've been putting off playing until I posted something.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Hooking up with a Foxy Man

Alright, we’re still sitting pretty at the end of Act 1, but with some of the luxuries that Act 2 has to offer. Time to ask Leon out.

I guess when you troll everyone, you think everyone’s trolling you. Let’s try again on a different day.

Better.

Okay then…..

The next day:

Leon. Can I hear your answer?

Don’t turn into Doug on me, dammit!

You are serious about this, yes?
(Dialogue option) Just kidding.

Get back on track here….

Very serious.
I...see. Then I’ll have to give you an equally serious answer.

Awkward pause.

I’m sorry, but I can’t go out with you.
Wha…?

...Oh.

It’s not that I hate you.
I could never hate you.
Wha…?
Not after all you’ve taught me.
It was from you that I learned what it truly means to care for someone.
And how those feelings can’t be denied.
To be honest, I never imagined what it’d really be like.
Then…

But I can’t date you.
Because I can’t marry you.
Huh?
I decided long ago that I’ll never get married.
Thus, I cannot date anyone. That comes part and parcel with that decision.
Even if I changed that…
Even if I chose to go out with you, I could never truly be together with you.

Do you understand? Give up on me. Please.
Though I guess we could still be together as friends. That doesn’t involve marriage.
(dialogue option) We don’t need to marry!
!
Are you alright with that?
(dialogue option) Completely.

You know, you really are amusing.
Huh? EEP! HEY! Stop ruffling my hair!
Oh come on, it’s not a big deal.
After all, starting today, the two of us are lovers.
Huh?
What, would you rather not?
Of course I want to!
So, um...I-I’m really looking forward to it.
As am I.
And...thank you.
Hm?
Nothing.

And Scene.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Courtship and Whatever.

There’s dating and waiting around and I really want to smash some things.

This is for reference on how much range you can get off Dual Blades when crafted just right.

I’ve got a really dumb idea.

What could possibly go wrong?

Also there are these guys. I think we talked about them, but they’re super important for crafting. I need all the buffs for crafting that I can get at this point since I am incredibly not supposed to be here.

and Grimore is down! Time to go visit Uno and Sano!

Hi, Uno and Sano!

Awww. Leon Karnak is as far as I can go. Only an idiot would try Sharance Maze without having done Rune Prana. Maybe later.

A bit of dialogue that I don’t think you get if you’re a guy.

Going on a date! (I’m guessing at the order of some of these, I don’t have them in sequence, sadly.)

Dude can’t even get through a date without trolling. Sometimes I think he acts like he's trolling when he's unsure of himself, like when he asked if the flowers he selected were appropriate. Flowers can mean anything from "I love you" to "I'll put this on your grave." I think that is more the case in Japan than it is here.

An event day! I need A Day in the Life of Leon, since that’s required to marry him.

It took way more than four tries, but eventually....

I'm sorry, Leon.

There’s no need to go through his entire event again, so I’ll just link to this post.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 8, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

There are reasons why Leon is my favorite bachelor.

Challenge accepted!

Seriously though, it's a pain in the rear end, but it is sort of doable. In the sense that you go in with a rosary so you only have to fight bosses, and kit yourself out with as many crit boosts as you can get. Critical hits bypass defense, making it possible to kill bosses far beyond your level. But it's difficult, leaves you still squishy as gently caress, and is barely worth the effort.

It might be possible with crafting shenanigans since you have access to platinum now, but the payoff isn't really worth it.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
For anyone having trouble following the conversation, this game is incredibly easy to break and it pretty much encourages game breaking.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I had a bunch of free time today and I'm procrastinating on some things, so here's more Leon.

White Day

Today I get a bunch of cookies. Here are some of the better reactions.

Vishnal:

Much to my surprise it was a cookie and not a failed dish.

Arthur:

Porco:

I've seen the name of the cookie change in other LPs, but I'm not sure if it's completely random or based on friendship levels. Knowing Porco, it's the former.

Dylas:

Clorica:

Leon: Sorry about this, I had to guess again which images go where. I’m going to type these up as soon as they happen in game after I get through these. Anyway, we’re dating, so I went to the dating spot for my cookie.

Annnddddd….that’s all I have of that conversation. I couldn’t find the rest of it on my hard drive and couldn’t find a transcript elsewhere. Sorry :(.

Odds and ends:

It’s hard to see, but the developers put her hair up when she’s in the bath. I don’t think it appears anywhere else in the game. It’s a nice touch.

Why?

I am so close to being caught up with this.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 9, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Zagglezig posted:

So, as someone who has no context for the "elves eat humans" thing, is this a matter of actively hunting people down or more of a "well, they aren't elves, so I don't see why we shouldn't eat them if the meat presents itself"?

Some typos, couple wrong portraits.

Mineral Squeek is how it appears in the game, along with Chipsqueek and whatever other squeeks are in the game. I had to double-check that myself.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Christmas at the Factory

I asked Leon out for Christmas. Kind of.

Mr. Smooth Talker here changes his answer based on your response. I'd be a bit taken aback too if I was told "None of your business" in a situation like that though. If you select "For everyone to be happy," he'll say that he could never wish for such a thing, himself.

And talking to Dr. Jones after….

I may be picking up some of Leon’s habits.

Happy New Year, let’s see what’s in store!

Wait, there’s something I need to check…

YES!

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 10, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Glazius posted:

...are the troll options always there, or do you need to be down with the Leon to unlock them for yourself?

Troll options are always options.

There isn't really a system for harems, but apparently lovers have really sad voiced lines if you pass by them with another person in your harem in your party. I'm thinking about getting another boyfriend just to troll Leon.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I somehow totally missed posting the second date...

Airship date:

I see.
I couldn’t either.
Huh?
Come on, we’re going.
We’re headed to Airship.

I used to dream of flying in the sky like Venti, long ago.
Never thought my dream would come true so effortlessly.

I’m taking both routes on this, here’s the first one…

In those days, we had magic, but very few machines.
So I never imagined I’d be able to fly through the sky like this.
I had a friend when I was a kid who also longed to fly.
I wish she could see what I’m seeing right now.

Sir Leon…

(Now’s my chance…)
(Now might be my best opportunity to strengthen our relationship.)

...Not going there yet, I’m doing the other route first.

You’re a curious one, aren’t you?
Am I?
Well, all right.
Let’s see…
I’ll tell you a bit about my country’s language. How does that sound?

Uh Frey?

You okay, hon?

It’s been awhile, but you did hit your head pretty hard.

Back to normal?

Back to normal.

Well, this was originally two different countries.
But over the course of history, the two countries merged into one.
And in the end, some culture and language were naturally lost to history.

I see. So the other language is the one what was spoken in the country that got absorbed, then?

Yeah.
There used to be a lot of linguists who would extol the beauty of it.
I never got it back then. But I can understand their feelings a little better now.

You can?

It’s a strange, lonely sensation.
That used to be my homeland and now it’s lost to the ages. Forgotten.

I’ll be taking the other path after this. This date is interesting enough to warrant it.

Are you...
...really trying to feed me that old cliche about it “still existing in my heart” or something?

Ugh…

Well…

I have to admit, spending time with you like this has really lifted my spirits.
Thanks!

...You’re welcome.

(Now’s my chance…)

Hold your horses Frey, we’re doing one more route.

“I’ll be your homeland,” is a dumb, cheesy line that could just as easily piss Leon off as make him happy.

It...worked?

I have to admit, spending time with you like this has really lifted my spirits.
Thanks!

...You’re welcome.

(Now’s my chance…)

Leon is really drat ticklish.

He’s shaking at this point.

Are you sure?

Of course. That’s only natural, right? At evening’s end, the gentleman walks the lady home.

Thank you for seeing me home.

You’re very welcome.
Let’s make sure we do this again sometime, though, okay?
Until next time!

Until next time.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 13, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Zagglezig posted:

Huh, I think that's the first time I've ever seen any media make someone ticklish to head pats.

I know, that's why I pointed it out. The update has it spelled with "ea" there and the screenshot just above it has the correct spelling with "ee".

Got a boy face in the second Forte conversation.

I guess I had that backwards or something.

I hit the mother of all roadblocks during the proposal event.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 15, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Between the food that drops everywhere and the items that cure fatigue/colds, you can spend in-game days on end in Sharance. If you've got a Rosary equipped you can skip most of the floor content, you'll encounter a mini boss on odd numbered levels and a boss on even levels until you get to whatever dragon is at the bottom of that part of the dungeon.

Crazy poo poo drops constantly without the Rosary though, right now I have the ultimate hammer and three Four Dragons' Vest, the best armor in the game. I'll be able to make them better myself once I get the crafting recipes, but current crafting shenanigans are giving me a 90% critical hit rate, so I"m happy enough.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
The final date!

I’m at the inn because I want to talk to Leon and that’s where he lives.

It’s pretty early, so he’s still in his jammies.

Huh?! Well...umm…

Tomorrow, then?

Hmm…

May I suggest your room?

Sure.

Excellent. Then that’s where we’ll go.

Come to Selphia: Town Square at 10 hundred hours tomorrow.

Don’t be late.

I won’t.

Until tomorrow, then.

The next day:

What?!

What should we do now?

Erm, er…

In that case…

…!

Gotcha.

What?!

Were you expecting something different? You can say it.

Um, I just…

You’re so cute, Princess Frey.

...Argh, Sir Leon!

Hahaha!

(N-now’s my chance…)

(Now might be my best opportunity to strengthen our relationship.

H-hey…! What the ?!

I just felt like hugging you.

...Honestly…

I hear your heart beating, Sir Leon.

Ugh…

...It’s beating pretty fast. You must be nervous having a girl cling to you like this.
...Quit your yammering.

The date ends abruptly here, to the point where I didn’t know whether the following was part of the date or not.

*STARE*

...Stop staring at me, you moron.

And the alternate version:

What are you talking about? Are you out of your mind?!

Oh, wow, you ARE blushing!

...Shut up.

As Venti is alive and well...

Next time: the proposal that I have been dreading. It's long.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Ah, Leon, truly yours is the greatest of romantic dialogue. "Stop staring at me you moron" indeed.

For someone who trolls people all the time, he is amazingly easily flustered.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Haifisch posted:

It's a defense mechanism, obviously. :v:

Yeah, I've hurt his feelings a few times by accident.

Speaking of hurt feelings, this is the first part of the proposal event! It's going to take a few posts, but if you want to see the whole thing, there's a youtube video of the entire thing somewhere. It's like an hour long.

Proposal part 1:

: Oh, Frey!
: Have you seen Leon?
Sir Leon?
I’ve been looking all over for him.
I’ve been wanting him to read this…
That paper? What is it?
Forte and I found it outside of town the other day.
: But it’s written in an old language, so I can’t read it.
I see…
Hmm? There’s something written on the back of the paper…
Oh, yeah.
This side’s written in modern text.
So one side’s all ancient, and the other’s pretty new.
It’s kind of exciting, don’t you think?

I wonder how they made something like this…
I-if you hold it too tightly, it’ll get all crumpled up!
No worries. This one’s just a copy.
: Arthur has the original paper. But this one’s an exact replica :swoon:
O-oh…
I wonder what secrets it may hold…
Ahh, I can’t wait to read it!
I figure Leon might be able to read this lettering...
But where did he go?

Oh, really?
: All right! I’ll take you up on that kind offer, then.
: Actually, it’s perfect, because I wanted to bake Forte a cake today anyway. :swoon:
All right.
Can you also hand him this paper, too?
Is this…?
I think it has something to do with the first paper.
See? This one also has different characters written on it.
Though I haven’t shown it to Arthur yet.
Why not? Shouldn’t you?
: Well, because I want to know the connection a.s.a.p.! :swoon:
O-okay…
So I’m counting on you. Get it to Leon as fast as you can, okay?

Leon is nowhere to be found so I run around asking villagers until I run into….

No, I haven’t seen him today.
I think Arthur was looking for him too, though.
Really? Thank you.
Um, Frey?
Yes?
I’ve been meaning to ask, but what is it you find so attractive about that --
*AHEM* --I-I mean, him? What do you like about him?
Well…

...I see.
Maybe I’m still not ready for a relationship…
Huh?
Oh, nothing.

You get to repeat the last line of questioning once you’ve gotten through the dialogue. Handsome and cute get the same answer, but….

Erm...unexplainable?
That’s right.
I see.
Love is...deep, isn’t it?

So I go find Arthur.

Huh? Leon?
I haven’t seen him all day.
Oh, really?
Recently, he’s been looking a bit absent-minded…
Perhaps Xiao or Lin Fa would know where he’s gotten off to.

So I go to the hotel/where Leon lives.

Aren’t you going to Leon Karnak with him?
What?
Well, he left here with two lunch boxes, so I just thought you two were...you know… :swoon:
Huh?
But why are you here?

Hopefully Xiao Pai knows what’s going on.

Leon?
Oh, I saw him leave town.
He told me he was headed for Leon Karnak.
Leon Karnak...?
He had two lunch boxes, so I thought you would be with him.
Huh…?

Next time: I head over to Leon Karnak, in hopes of eating lunch. Sorry, this is the best stopping point for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Proposal part two out of several- Frey goes to Leon Karnak!

I, uh...I wanted to talk with you.
Talk? About what?
Well…

Option: Two lunches?

… That’s your concern?
Well…
There’s no one.
Huh…?
I just...wanted to feel like there was.
…?
What, something else?

Kiel?
Yes. He wanted you to read this.
Did Arthur bring…?
Huh?
Uh, never mind.
All right. I’ll talk to Kiel later.
Oh, okay.

What is it? It seems like there’s more on your mind.

I don’t think I’ve seen this ¾ view outside of this event.

Uh...what am I looking at?
They’re old characters. Barely even used during my time.
Old characters…
I might’ve told you before…
But my kingdom used the same language and writing as Selphia.
But these characters are from a different kingdom that’s much, much older.
A foreign language, basically.
What does it say?
“Leon.”
Huh?
And it says “Maria” next to it.
Maria…?
She passed away hundreds of years ago.
We were friends from childhood.
Uh…
She was like a sister to me.
Annoying, but irresistibly cute at the same time.
I used to take care of her as if I were her real brother.
I might have been the only person to think of her that way, really.
…?
She was such a crybaby, always clinging to me…
We went everywhere together.

...We even both carved our names here, one fateful day.
See, Maria was crying.
She wouldn’t stop and I didn’t know what to do.
So I told her…
“I’ll do anything you ask as long as you just stop crying.”
Then she replied…
“Can I marry you?”
Wha…?
Still a kid, I agreed without giving it much thought.
And as proof of our promise, we carved our names...using a language we’d just learned.
It was like a secret code that only the two of us knew…

Pretty cliched tale, huh? I’m sure you’ve heard stories like it a thousand times before.
I soon forgot about the promise, regarding it as...well, as just another play date.
But she never cried after that.
Not when I teased her, and not even when she got herself injured.
In fact…
...she didn’t even cry on the day I decided to become a Guardian.
…!
Everyone came to see me off.
And she stood all by herself, behind my family and friends.
She just quietly looked at me…
....with eyes fit to burst into tears at any moment.

And that’s when I realized…
…that sweet girl, whom I adored as a little sister, believed my promise.
I’m such a …

(There is a soft, sad laugh here.)

...such a hopeless fool.
Sir Leon…
That’s why I decided I’d never get married.
I can’t trample on her feelings any more than I already have.
...Obviously, I know this won’t change anything…
But…
I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I didn’t honor my word.
I...I’m a weak person.

I’m sorry I had to tell you this.
Are you...jealous?

Haha. Exactly what I’d expected.
Seriously…
You’re just too cute, you know.
Er…
Well, that’s enough with the teasing, I suppose.
Sir Leon!!
But you know, for as bad as I feel, it is a precious memory to me.
That’s why I wanted you to know.
I was the one who took away her tears. The one who buried her under her own repressed despair.
It’s all my fault.
I’ll never forget the look on her face that day…
...How could I?
I’m so sorry, Maria.
I’m sorry I had to break our promise.
Hey, Princess Frey.
Do you regret your decision to date me?
Hmm?
After hearing about Maria…
...can you still say that you love me?

I wasn’t planning to tell anyone about Maria.
I thought I’d keep the promise within me…
...and live with the burden.
But for some reason…
I just wanted you to know.
...I just had to tell you.
Sir Leon…
Even though I knew it wouldn’t change anything…

Hmm?
You have a past. A side of you I know nothing about.
....I mean, obviously. Everyone has a past. And there’s nothing we can do about it.
But...the fact that yours pains my heart so…
...is proof positive of just how much I love you.
That’s something your story just now helped me realize.
...You mean that?
Yes.
I love you with all my heart and soul.

Love can come in many shapes and sizes.
It can be painful and heart-wrenching just as it can be joyous and fun.
But none of that matters…
...because love is love. And I love you. Pure and simple.
I see.
...You make a powerful case.
I know.
...I swear, it’s always such a joy spending time with you.
You’ve made me realize so many things about the world.
Really? Like what?
Well…
...Like the fact that women nowadays are far more aggressive than they used to be.
And that there’s no mood where saying embarrassing things becomes less embarrassing.
Oh, Sir Leon! Come on!
Also…
...how hard it is that I can’t get any closer to you…
Huh?
I think…
I’m going to stay here a little longer and...talk to her.
There are hundreds of years’ worth of things to catch up on.
Okay.
I’ll see you later, then.
All right.
Thanks for everything.
No problem.

After:

...I wonder what Maria did after I left…
Never mind. Forget I said that.

Back in the castle:

It’s about time for Sir Leon to come back from the tower.
I hope he was able to make some sense of that old text from Kiel.

How in the world did Kiel find this?
Amazing…

...Love me with all your heart and soul, huh?

I…
I want to get closer...and hold you in my arms…
But…
Won’t that mean trampling all over Maria’s feelings, even more than I already have?
Would she ever...be able to forgive me for that?
My heart is torn. I’m in agony....
...because I love her so much.

....Geez…

That’s a wrap for now!

• Locked thread