Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Reportedly, Haxchi can recognize and connect to it, but it's not configured to work with the system yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You'll probably be able to play NES on it, too, since it's basically just a software revision.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm counting on this thread to let me know when i can add extra games to the SNES classic.

Also can i just always assume its safe to update my 3ds firmware? I'm on b9a or whatever it is that the guide has you install.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Also can i just always assume its safe to update my 3ds firmware? I'm on b9a or whatever it is that the guide has you install.

b9s / boot9strap

And while it probably won't break anything, it's usually best to wait a few days to see if Luma gets an update and update that before updating your firmware.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone been able to get Terranigma working properly on a 3DS?

Also the VC version of Secret of Mana has errors. :smith:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Fuzz posted:

Anyone been able to get Terranigma working properly on a 3DS?

Also the VC version of Secret of Mana has errors. :smith:

I don't know anything about 3DS emulation stuff, but IIRC Terranigma's graphical effects took a long time to be emulated properly back when this was first worked out for PC.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm counting on this thread to let me know when i can add extra games to the SNES classic.

Still about a week away probably. Progress is being made, they need to get a script going to autogenerate ROM headers because they use the Wii U VC ROM format, plus getting a script for box art and the like. Some fun news today came in that the emulator on the SNES classic will accept gzip compressed ROMs so that will save on storage.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It'll probably be a long while before it's beneficial to anyone, but for the hardcore homebrew holdouts be advised that Switch firmware 3.0.0 was the last (and currently only) firmware identified with the potential for arbitrary userland code execution, and that Pokken Tournament DX is the only cart game to ship with that firmware.

I was kinda on the fence about that game but considering what Cubic Ninja cost (and I was still a relatively early adopter on that one) I think I'll nab a copy now.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Can you downgrade firmware with a cartridge?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Caithness posted:

Can you downgrade firmware with a cartridge?

No. Probably can't downgrade period since there's efuses that burn up on the chip each time the system updates and if the os detects the wrong number it panics.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I've got a new 3ds xl on 11.5.0.38U with the homebrew launcher running what is the next step to install CFW? Everything I've found kind of runs into a dead end there.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Haruharuharuko posted:

I've got a new 3ds xl on 11.5.0.38U with the homebrew launcher running what is the next step to install CFW? Everything I've found kind of runs into a dead end there.

If the homebrew launcher is running, you've got at least user land access. Sadly, there are no known exploits on firmware 11.5.0 to elevate access from user land to kernel (system functions), which you need to install custom firmware. You can still use everything that runs through the homebrew launcher, but to tinker with the system on that firmware version, you need to do something else.

You'll need a Nintendo DS flashcart and follow these instructions.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I need a DS flash cart solely for playing DS ROMs, nothing else. I've heard rumblings of knock off carts and ones that can brick your system (seems far fetched, but they can access the kernel), anyone know a reasonably priced and reliable retailer that I can get one from?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

HenryEx posted:

If the homebrew launcher is running, you've got at least user land access. Sadly, there are no known exploits on firmware 11.5.0 to elevate access from user land to kernel (system functions), which you need to install custom firmware. You can still use everything that runs through the homebrew launcher, but to tinker with the system on that firmware version, you need to do something else.

You'll need a Nintendo DS flashcart and follow these instructions.

Argh that's what I thought I'll order one on payday thanks.

[quote="“Fuzz”" post="“477142693”"]
I need a DS flash cart solely for playing DS ROMs, nothing else. I’ve heard rumblings of knock off carts and ones that can brick your system (seems far fetched, but they can access the kernel), anyone know a reasonably priced and reliable retailer that I can get one from?
[/quote]

The DS two supercard has been great for me for years on the 3ds for playing ds games as for retailer the links in the ntrboot guide site (I think it's literally just flashcart.com) worked when I ordered that like 5 years ago.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I’m currently helping my girlfriend sigmoid her Wii in order to play wii gals off her flash drive. I used the letterbomb/hack mini suite to get the homebrew channel loaded and through that using USB loader GX to run the games. We hit a wall though when we go to start the games. We get audio but no picture. What did I mess up here? Is there something else I have to load?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

I’m currently helping my girlfriend sigmoid her Wii in order to play wii gals off her flash drive. I used the letterbomb/hack mini suite to get the homebrew channel loaded and through that using USB loader GX to run the games. We hit a wall though when we go to start the games. We get audio but no picture. What did I mess up here? Is there something else I have to load?

Well, I can tell you that it's not meant to go there, but it's impressive your girlfriend can manage it. :quagmire:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

FUCKinng auto correct. Anyway we got it working. We had to change the video setting so in the menu to force NTCS

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I finally got around to updating my Wii homebrew for the first time since 2010. I was happy enough to get Metroid Prime Trilogy without needing to use the disc, but I'm blown away by Nintendont. Finally have a use for my classic controller too.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Looks like the NES Classic hack has been updated to work on the SNES Classic for anyone watching this thread for an update.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stan Taylor posted:

Looks like the NES Classic hack has been updated to work on the SNES Classic for anyone watching this thread for an update.

Yep, it's lookin' pretty good

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/917063603047550976

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone have a good 3D movie player app for the 3DS? Is there some special file format that 3DS movies need to be in that I can just convert them? I wanna try out a few of those split screen adventure type clips and see how the effect is in 3D... or is there any way to convert something like a 3D feature length film into a low-res 3DS screen capable version?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

3DS Movie Converter converts them for the camera. I don't think there's a homebrew one.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 11, 2017

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
wiisxr on wii u controller very good

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Anyone still have this file? I finally got around to setting it up and the creator has taken down the link

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

African AIDS cum posted:

Anyone still have this file? I finally got around to setting it up and the creator has taken down the link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzEB8f_rxW-oV3RWVEJ6Z1JMYnc/view

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
WiiSXR and Not64 forwarders are also out, WiiSXR uses the gamepad but Not64 isn't there yet but they guy that made it said soon

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Wii U keeps getting better and better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“m2pt5”" post="“477266616”"]
3DS Movie Converter converts them for the camera. I don’t think there’s a homebrew one.
[/quote]

If you have a new 3ds it can connect to and play movies from plex, including 3D movies.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you have a new 3ds it can connect to and play movies from plex, including 3D movies.

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo I need to try this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it's pretty awesome. The web interface is a little janky in the 3ds browser but once you get the movie started it's fine

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Thank you

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just a heads-up it's pretty strict about a lot of things (e.g. stereo AAC audio only), including that you have to be using a pretty old version of Plex (0.74 if memory serves). But it works.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

univbee posted:

Just a heads-up it's pretty strict about a lot of things (e.g. stereo AAC audio only), including that you have to be using a pretty old version of Plex (0.74 if memory serves). But it works.

Ah crap. I have the latest Plex because they finally fixed all the FiOS router issues. Will have to try it out.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ok this Nintendont thing just reboots the Wii U when I try to launch it. Is there something else I need to set up? Saw via googling someone said get rid of rednand

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
Is there anywhere to buy an ntrboot-friendly flash cart that doesn't make me have to recover my long-dormant PayPal account? I'm not saying I won't do that, but I just want to make sure. I've already tried two different sites, and they both want me to send them money directly through PayPal. Really, I'm just trying to be as lazy as possible here, but if anyone happens to know of somewhere, that'd be cool.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Send money through paypal or you'll be getting a new credit card.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe

Dehry posted:

Send money through paypal or you'll be getting a new credit card.

Yeah, the more reviews I read about these sites, the more sketched out I get. I'll just get off my rear end and make a phone call

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I tried to login to my Plex but it couldn't display parts of the page and basically gave me a black screen on a N3DS... are you using some backdoor address to login or something?

Alternatively, is there no other way to watch side by side videos off the SD card somehow? I tried a converter program to break it up into chunks and watch in the camera app, but the camera app doesn't have the same web browser options to force a 3D view from two side by side videos.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You have to connect to your server directly (i.e. not through the Plex.tv page) and your server's version of Plex has to be pretty old, like 0.74 I think, after that the server pages show up blank because they're too memory-heavy for even the n3DS to handle.

If your 3DS is softmodded some people have modded "program" installs that are basically full-length 3D movies in a container (based off Japanese official 3D Movie releases in this format, IIRC Wreck-It Ralph/Sugar Rush and Big Hero 6 were available as digital downloads this way at least). Some :filez: sites actually have ready-made installers for certain popular 3D films, they usually come out to a little under 2 gigs.

If you don't there are also converters to the internal camera app's 3D format but you're cap at 10-minute videos for that.

IMO it's not really worth putting too much effort into getting this working, 3D movies on the low-res 3DS screen are a neat novelty but not really worth properly watching films that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Funny thing - I actually have the last PC release of Plex to work with the new 3DS archived, Just In Case. 0.9.11.4.7z if you like. I might be one of the only people ridiculous enough to have watched an entire feature-length film doing the 3d sbs thing from plex to new3DS. And to be super honest, it's a cool novelty, but mine was a pretty horrible experience. It looked like garbage and the efficacy of the 3d effect was really diminished by non-stereoscopic compression artifacts. Completely agree with univbee on it being a fun novelty but not worth it; watch some 3d stuff on youtube (using the builtin browser, not the terrible youtube app [that I think was removed anyway?])

• Locked thread