Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Follow-up questions. Can a cfw nu3ds do region free stuff without a flash card? Can saves be backed up in some way, or transferred from carts? Probably gonna go ahead and try downgrading when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Follow-up questions. Can a cfw nu3ds do region free stuff without a flash card?

I'm pretty sure the newer versions of RXtools have region locking disabled by default.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Follow-up questions. Can a cfw nu3ds do region free stuff without a flash card? Can saves be backed up in some way, or transferred from carts? Probably gonna go ahead and try downgrading when I get home.

Been playing MHX on a cakes 9.5 n3ds without any issues. It's English patched and works online. Saves can be backed up, but I think I read somewhere that it depends on the games themselves since some save on cart and some save on SD.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

With rxtools you can use a tool called savedatafiler to dump cartridge saves and re-upload them. As stated above, if it saves to SD it won't work.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

You can do all of that without CFW, too

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

MohShuvuu posted:

Been playing MHX on a cakes 9.5 n3ds without any issues. It's English patched and works online. Saves can be backed up, but I think I read somewhere that it depends on the games themselves since some save on cart and some save on SD.

Well I'm gonna do it, that's too good to pass up.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Yeah a lot of people recommend keeping the sysnand and emunand linked, but it doesn't seem worth it, causes way more issues than it's worth. You've run into one.

Everywhere that I've read has said the exact opposite of what you said, because of those issues.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

flyboi posted:

With rxtools you can use a tool called savedatafiler to dump cartridge saves and re-upload them. As stated above, if it saves to SD it won't work.

You can definitely use sdvt for eshop or CIA games as well which is significantly easier to use.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
How easy is it to gently caress up downgrading an N3ds and installing cfw? Things like this I like to be sure of everything I gotta beware of because sometimes it's so easy to make such a tiny mistake and ruin your day.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dizz posted:

How easy is it to gently caress up downgrading an N3ds and installing cfw? Things like this I like to be sure of everything I gotta beware of because sometimes it's so easy to make such a tiny mistake and ruin your day.

So long as you downloaded the correct firmware files that are specifically for New 3DS and for your region, you shouldn't hard brick it. Might soft brick it but that's easy enough to recover from. However, downgrading on a New 3DS takes forever and is far less reliable than on an Old 3DS so it may take you many, many, many tries for the planets to align and for the downgrade process to work without errors.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So long as you downloaded the correct firmware files that are specifically for New 3DS and for your region, you shouldn't hard brick it. Might soft brick it but that's easy enough to recover from. However, downgrading on a New 3DS takes forever and is far less reliable than on an Old 3DS so it may take you many, many, many tries for the planets to align and for the downgrade process to work without errors.

Yeah so long as you're using the correct downgrade files there's literally 0 risk of bricking your n3DS. It might take a couple of tries to open the program you use to downgrade however.

Worked for me first time though, like a charm

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah so long as you're using the correct downgrade files there's literally 0 risk of bricking your n3DS. It might take a couple of tries to open the program you use to downgrade however.

Worked for me first time though, like a charm

I remember it constantly failed for me after trying over 50 times, decided to go to sleep and try again on the next day, woke up still kind of groggy and it worked first attempt that day. It's random luck as to whether it'll play nice on N3DS or not.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Instead of using my whateverbrand cheapo 64 GB mSD card i use for all my stuff, i dug out the original 4GB mSD card that came with the N3DS for maximum compatibility, and:

* Formatted it with the SD Formatter tool from the makers of the specifications for SD cards (recommended by Nintendo)
* Set up the basic HomeBrew starter kit, plus the safest sysUpdater version (prob. needs a GBAtemp account)
* Checked the MD5 of the CIA update package i got against the common lists on the net
* Checked the hashes of the update CIAs before and after moving it onto the mSD card to make sure all data is intact

Then used that specifically prepared downgrade mSD with either the browser exploit or one of the game-based ones (Cubic Ninja, OoT) and bear with the basic white theme for a while. Took like 8 or 9 attempts to get the downgrade process to start, but once it started it went off without a hitch. Didn't have to format my console, kept all my save games and street-passes.

This makes sure you have no other hacky stuff or other data interactions at play, just a fresh system except for the stuff in the console memory, plus the most compatible and well-prepared storage medium to read the critical data off of. If you used menuhax on your usual card, you might want to deactivate it before downgrading, though, otherwise the downgraded console won't boot up again when you switch out the mSD.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ironic too, since menuhax gives you the best bootrate for sysUpdater.

You really don't need to do all that though. Just boot into the homebrew launcher with menuhax and run sysupdater. if it doesn't work, try again.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Other questions I have while I am still backing up.

Will Nintendo Badge arcade be affected in any way? dunno if it will misbehave with lower versions and such.
Can I still access the Nintendo eShop and interact with my purchases?

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

ok I'm home and ready to downgrade my n3ds. Do i want 9.2 or 9.5 or does it not matter?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
I'm sure there are many other considerations here, but is Nintendo doing any kind of server-side signing of the CIA files that are retrieved via safe_mode? I ask because I was thinking it MAY be possible to setup a local webserver / dns / hosts etc, to serve your locally cached 10.3 CIAs once the 10.4 update drops. That would keep you "safe" if you run into an issue with soft-bricking, but would obviously take a lot of work for the setup.. (Maintenance is happening in a few hours, which will more than likely have 10.4 attached)

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

ok I'm home and ready to downgrade my n3ds. Do i want 9.2 or 9.5 or does it not matter?

You downgrade the system to 9.2 first. From there setup EmuNAND which is a clone of you SysNAND 9.2, and you can update that to 9.5 after the fact.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Ironic too, since menuhax gives you the best bootrate for sysUpdater.

You really don't need to do all that though. Just boot into the homebrew launcher with menuhax and run sysupdater. if it doesn't work, try again.
It's not like this took a long time, like 30 mins all in all. People seem to take much longer on average, especially on a N3DS. And 8 tries until sysUpdater runs seems to be below average, too.

Dizz posted:

Other questions I have while I am still backing up.

Will Nintendo Badge arcade be affected in any way? dunno if it will misbehave with lower versions and such.
Can I still access the Nintendo eShop and interact with my purchases?
The badge arcade and everything associated with it requires FW 9.3+, so you'll only have access to it on an updated EmuNand, at best.
eShop will require that you either use an updated EmuNand on the latest firmware (only possible on a O3DS), or you install the latest NVer (basically just the revision number so your firmware says X.X.X-28 instead of 20) and use the Homebrew channel version of the eShop (to compensate for being on an outdated version of the eShop app).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NerdsMcGee posted:

I'm sure there are many other considerations here, but is Nintendo doing any kind of server-side signing of the CIA files that are retrieved via safe_mode? I ask because I was thinking it MAY be possible to setup a local webserver / dns / hosts etc, to serve your locally cached 10.3 CIAs once the 10.4 update drops. That would keep you "safe" if you run into an issue with soft-bricking, but would obviously take a lot of work for the setup.. (Maintenance is happening in a few hours, which will more than likely have 10.4 attached)

P. sure update files are distributed via HTTPS, so you can't intercept that with a proxy.
I mean you theoretically can if you break HTTPS, bu i'd like to see you do that.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Before I decide to do any of this fuckery, I've got a couple of questions...

- Are the gba and snes emulators any good? Do they drop frames or whatever with more complex games?
- Is any of this poo poo permanent or would I be able to go back to the legit firmware at a later date?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I still have the dinky 4gb sd card that came with my 3dsxl, is there any problem with doing the homebrew process today and swapping to another card later?

Also any brands of sd cards to avoid? I faintly remember something like that in the 3ds thread, i havent looked at it in like a year.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

croutonZA posted:

Before I decide to do any of this fuckery, I've got a couple of questions...

- Are the gba and snes emulators any good? Do they drop frames or whatever with more complex games?
- Is any of this poo poo permanent or would I be able to go back to the legit firmware at a later date?

O3DS or Nu3DS?

Fellis posted:

I still have the dinky 4gb sd card that came with my 3dsxl, is there any problem with doing the homebrew process today and swapping to another card later?

Also any brands of sd cards to avoid? I faintly remember something like that in the 3ds thread, i havent looked at it in like a year.

You can copy to a larger card it just has to maintain the same device name after formatting. Be sure to back up your data because setting up emunand will format your sd card

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

flyboi posted:

O3DS or Nu3DS?

poo poo, sorry. I got a New3DS.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Installing pirated software with false keys leaves a mark on your system that Nintendo can detect, even if you delete the title later (since the invalid key will still be in your 3DS' title database). Apparently some people got into trouble over that when they sent in their console for repairs.
But all update CIAs are straight from Nintendo's servers and properly signed so the downgrade won't be a problem, and in any case you CAN just update to the latest firmware whenever you want.

Well, i guess Ninty MIGHT get a little suspicious if they see a 3DS with a serial code that shipped on FW 9.8 and it has 9.2 on it, but who knows if they even keep a list like that. :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

croutonZA posted:

On n3DS with kernel access you get pretty much full speed SNES/GBA emulation.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I'm following this guide for downgrading: http://wololo.net/2016/01/04/3ds-system-software-downgrade-tutorial/

It says that the Sysupdater.zip file should contain a folder, but the file linked only contains 2 files and no directories.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

croutonZA posted:

Pretty much full speed. My typical speed tests are the intro on SMRPG and Star Fox. SMRPG ran at full speed however Star Fox was unplayable at around 20FPS. GBA has no real issues at all.

I'm following this guide for downgrading: http://wololo.net/2016/01/04/3ds-system-software-downgrade-tutorial/

It says that the Sysupdater.zip file should contain a folder, but the file linked only contains 2 files and no directories.

Create a folder on your sd card in 3ds named sysUpdater and put the 2 files there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

flyboi posted:

Pretty much full speed. My typical speed tests are the intro on SMRPG and Star Fox. SMRPG ran at full speed however Star Fox was unplayable at around 20FPS. GBA has no real issues at all.

The most common CIA SNES emulator has a lot of problems with games that used the Super FX chip like Star fox.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool jpan only games you guys should try once udowngrade:

puyo puyo tetris
taiko drum master
rhythm heaven the best
picross 3d 2

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

After installing menuhax, when I reboot the system and go to "Themes" nothing happens, even though it say it successfully installed. Anyone else encounter this problem?

edit: Deleted and reinstalled it 2 times, the second time it simply worked. There is no visual indicator on the change theme page that it has succeeded.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
So server maintenance just started for North America. There is high probability that 10.4 can be released during this maintenance.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Sysupdater keeps giving me the following error:

titleException:
main.cpp:148: Result: 0xD900182F
Failed to get CIA file info!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

titleException:

Are you using OSX?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

titleException:

Reboot. That means it didn't get kernel privileges.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

NerdsMcGee posted:

Reboot. That means it didn't get kernel privileges.

do i have to reinstall the menuhacks thing, or just power off and back on? I've tried like 5 times in a row and gotten the same error after just rebooting. I double-checked the hash on my .cia files so I'm not sure what else might be interfering.

flyboi posted:

Are you using OSX?

i'm actually transferring the files on my phone since i didn't have a usb-to-micro sd adaptor handy. Maybe that is part of the problem?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

do i have to reinstall the menuhacks thing, or just power off and back on? I've tried like 5 times in a row and gotten the same error after just rebooting. I double-checked the hash on my .cia files so I'm not sure what else might be interfering.

i'm actually transferring the files on my phone since i didn't have a usb-to-micro sd adaptor handy. Maybe that is part of the problem?

Phone to 3DS may be part of the problem, but Sysupdater with memchunkhax2 (the exploit to allow downgrading in the first place) isn't exactly the most stable thing in the world. It could work on the first try, ot it could work on the 389257th try.
If you have a N3DS XL, I would keep the back off the machine to allow easier access to the power button, as there is usually a TON of rebooting involved. You could also try to copy the .3dsx file of sysupdater to the root of your SD Card, and rename it to boot.3dsx, which will have menuhax auto-load sysupdater to save you some time.

Keep in mind, you'll need to revert to your original boot.3dsx to have access to the homebrew launcher after the downgrade is complete. Good luck, and may the CIAs be with you.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Can I format a MicroSD card and just stick the 3ds folder in there? or are there specific 3ds files I need in there otherwise?

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

NerdsMcGee posted:

Phone to 3DS may be part of the problem, but Sysupdater with memchunkhax2 (the exploit to allow downgrading in the first place) isn't exactly the most stable thing in the world. It could work on the first try, ot it could work on the 389257th try.
If you have a N3DS XL, I would keep the back off the machine to allow easier access to the power button, as there is usually a TON of rebooting involved. You could also try to copy the .3dsx file of sysupdater to the root of your SD Card, and rename it to boot.3dsx, which will have menuhax auto-load sysupdater to save you some time.

Keep in mind, you'll need to revert to your original boot.3dsx to have access to the homebrew launcher after the downgrade is complete. Good luck, and may the CIAs be with you.

I ended up finding a sd to usb thing and used a newer sd card and redid everything, still getting the same error. As I understand it, I could have everything set up perfectly and still get this error? This is basically where everyone had to spend a million attempts? I'm ok with that if it's the case.

Thanks again for all the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006

Dizz posted:

Can I format a MicroSD card and just stick the 3ds folder in there? or are there specific 3ds files I need in there otherwise?

1) use gui_format.exe (Google) and format card to FAT32
2) place homebrew starter kit (starter.zip from Smealum's site) onto the SD Card's root.
3) Place card in your 3DS and it will automatically create a Nintendo 3DS folder, which is linked to your current System Software.
4) ???
5) Profit with more blocks for your blocking pleasure.

• Locked thread