Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Before I decide to do any of this fuckery, I've got a couple of questions...

- Are the gba and snes emulators any good? Do they drop frames or whatever with more complex games?
- Is any of this poo poo permanent or would I be able to go back to the legit firmware at a later date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

flyboi posted:

O3DS or Nu3DS?

poo poo, sorry. I got a New3DS.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Dizz posted:

E3: Something weird I noticed. When I went to Data Management and MicroSD Management, after I was done transferring my music back and exited, it claimed my system version was back to 9.2.0-20U, but when I reboot and check system settings it says rei 10.4

Exiting MicroSD Management in EmuNAND takes you back to SysNAND's settings for some reason. Exiting settings reboots the 3DS which takes you to EmuNAND again. Not sure why this happens but it's nothing to worry about. You could try installing 3DS-FTP or something similar so you don't have to reboot at all when transferring files if you want.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Moving an emunand setup to a new card isn't drag and drop no. There's a hidden partition that needs to be moved as well. It's definitely possible to do though (quite simple too) so no need to put off downgrading tbh.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thanks. Any guide to do so?

As an alternative to the one Heran Bago used, I used this method a week ago and it worked perfectly:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/

Heran Bago posted:

So I formatted the system with Tinyformat. All the eshop purchases are not appearing even though they're on the SD card, and the system isn't linked with the previous nnid anymore. Will the eshop purchases and save games all reappear when linked with the nnid again? I don't have that info on-hand. I am doing a downgrade for a friend and they are going to kill me if their animal crossing town is gone forever.

On your sd card in the Nintendo 3DS folder, are there 2 folders with names consisting of a lot of random numbers and letters or 3? I think formatting the system creates a new system ID which the 3DS is now using while your old installed apps and saves are on the old system ID.

croutonZA fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 24, 2016

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Urgh. Looks like we'll have to hold a candlelight vigil in honor of the all the brave pokemon and animal crossing villagers that gave their lives for homebrew and region-free.

I should mention I'm no expert at this kind of thing so it might be best waiting a bit. Someone smarter will probably be along soon to answer your question.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Dizz posted:

Nice.

Another question. How the hell can I install custom themes? I tried using CHMM in HBL but all it did was change sysNAND's theme so I grabbed a CIA copy of CHMM but that's giving me some error where I apparently need a DSP firmware dumper? but that apparently is a .3dsx file and kinda defeats the point of me using CIA files.

I found building themes into a .cia and installing them through FBI to be much easier. They'll show up in the change theme menu on your 3DS just like one you download from the theme shop. I use this program https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-howling-theme-tool-create-your-own-cia-theme-packages-with-custom-and-official-themes.401081/

It's pretty simple to use too.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Dizz posted:

3ds theme tool works but Nothing happens when I install the CIA file. I will try in the HBL but I doubt anything will change.

Weird. So no new themes show up the Change Theme menu on your 3DS?

Check Settings>Data Management>Add-on Content and see if "themes" appears in that list. If not then yeah, something went wrong.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Dizz posted:

I shows up, but yeah nothing showed up in the Theme menu besides the basic stuff.

I'm guessing it is because I'm using ReiNAND?

Nah, I use ReiNAND and themes show up. Have you tried running that Theme Checker program that comes with it? Do the themes show up properly in the Theme Tool's preview window? Are you building the themes for the correct region of your 3DS?

That's the only problems I can think of.

Oh, and delete that themes from your Add-on Content menu. You'll have to delete the old themes if you want to install new ones.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Crackbone posted:

At this point, I'm totally safe to update to 10.6 on emunand? Booting into reinand allows for userland/kernel access regardless of emunand version? If I wanted to install a cia I can just do it via FBI?

Yup, install cias via FBI. You can also update your emunand to 10.6 safely either through the system menu or by using sysupdater and downloading the update cias from that iso site.

Just be sure you're on emunand when you update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Andrast posted:

Yes. Exiting settings restarts your 3ds so if you are booting to sysNAND by default it will go to sysNAND. It's probably a good idea to set it up so that your 3DS boots to emunand by default.

You mean through menuhax right? Weird, because I have mine to boot automatically to emunand without having to hold L or whatever but whenever I exit system settings I'm in sysnand.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So I did that whole long and tedious process to install the custom firmware arm9 hack thing on sysnand and not have to bother with emunand. Its cool and all not having to bother with dealing with menuhax or oothax or whatever anymore, but is it safe to update normally on that thing?

Which tutorial did you follow? I might do this sometime if I'm bored enough.

croutonZA fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 13, 2016

• Locked thread