Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ok guys it's that time again. Nobody objected to any posts I made in the Best of 2015 thread so it's time to start voting for the best (and worst) stuff in MMA for 2015! Voting runs from Jan 10 - Jan 31 at 11:59:59 PM Pacific

Please, please, please, :siren: :siren: :siren: DO NOT POST YOUR BALLOT IN THIS THREAD :siren: :siren: :siren:

Most awards have the option to give a first, second, and third place vote. You do not have to give all three, but the option is there if you want to. Five points will be awarded for a first place vote; three for a second, and two for a third. If you do something wacky, like:

Best Fighter

1.) Tito Ortiz, of course
2.)
3.) The Undertaker - the best pure striker in the WWE.

Then in this case Tito would get 5 points, and Undertaker would be bumped up to 2nd and get 3 points.

This year I've decided to use Google Forms for the voting process, in hopes it makes things easier and gives you all more incentive to vote!!!

The Topics you will be voting on:

01.) Fighter of the Year (3 Votes)
02.) Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favorite Fighter (3 Votes)
03.) Fight of the Year (3 Votes)
04.) Performance of the Year (3 Votes)
05.) Knockout of the Year (3 Votes)
06.) Submission of the Year (3 Votes)
07.) Best Major Show (3 Votes)
08.) Worst Major Show (3 Votes)
09.) Round of the Year (3 Votes)
10.) Breakout Fighter of the Year (3 Votes)
11.) Most Improved (3 Votes)
12.) Upset of the Year (3 Votes)
13.) The Gilbert Yvel Award for Foul of the Year (3 Votes)
14.) The Cecil Peoples Award for Judging Incompetence (1 Vote)
15.) Best Division (1 Vote)
16.) The Joe Silva Brainfart Award - Worst Booking Decision (1 Vote)
17.) Dumbest Career Move (1 Vote)
18.) The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence (1 Vote)
19.) Best Post-Fight Interview (1 Vote)
20.) Most Overhyped/Underperformed (1 Vote)
21.) The Yoel Romero's Poop Stained Shorts Award for Comedy in MMA (1 Vote)

If you are stumped on a topic, I encourage you to check out the 2015 Best & Worst of MMA Thread.

Your Username will be the only thing required when filling in your ballot.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Fighter of the Year

2013: Chris Weidman
2014: Robbie Lawler
2015:

Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favorite Fighter

2013: Mark Hunt
2014: Mark Hunt
2015:

Fight of the Year

2013: UFC Fight Night 33 – Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva
2014: UFC 171 – Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler
2015:

Knockout of the Year

2013: UFC 162 – Chris Weidman KO Anderson Silva
2014: UFC Fight Night 52 – Mark Hunt KO Roy Nelson
2015:

Submission of the Year

2013: UFC 164 – Anthony Pettis SUB Benson Henderson via Armbar
2014: UFC Fight Night 49 – Ben Saunders SUB Chris Heatherly via Omoplata
2015:

Best Major Show

2013: UFC 168
2014: UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso
2015:

Worst Major Show

2013: UFC 161
2014: UFC Fight Night 36: Machida vs. Mousasi
2015:

Round of the Year

2013: UFC on Fuel 8 – Wanderlei Silva vs. Brian Stann ~ Round 1
2014: UFC Fight Night 40 – Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva – R1
2015:

Breakout Fighter of the Year

2013: Chris Weidman
2014: Tyler Jeffrey Dillashaw
2015:

The Memorial Cub Swanson Award - Most Improved

2013: Robbie Lawler
2014: Tyler Jeffrey Dillashaw
2015:

Upset of the Year

2013: UFC 162: Chris Weidman def. Anderson Silva
2014: UFC 173: TJ Dillashaw def. Renan Barγo
2015:

Best Division

2013: Lightweight
2014: Welterweight
2015:

The Joe Silva Brainfart Award - Worst Booking Decision

2013: Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen
2014: Stipe Miocic vs. Fabio Maldonado
2015:

Dumbest Career Move

2013: Cyborg hires - of course - Tito Ortiz as her manager
2014: CM Punk joins the UFC & trains at Roufusport
2015:

Worst Referee Decision

2013: TFC 26 – White vs. Babcock – Rusty Sullivan watches a KO and doesn't call off the fight.
2014: RFA 14 – Tom Johnson allows fight to continue after Junior Maranhao collapses unconscious between rounds and is revived.
2015:

Worst Judging Decision

2013: UFC on Fuel 8 – Diego Sanchez vs. Takanori Gomi ~ Two Judges score for Sanchez
2014: UFC Fight Night 42 – Diego Sanchez vs. Ross Pearson ~ Two Judges score for Sanchez
2015:

Gilbert Yvel Memorial Foul of the Year

2014: Every Fight – Jon Jones eye gouges EVERYONE!
2015:

Best Post-Fight Interview

2013: UFC on Fuel TV 8 – Mark Hunt
2014: Bellator 121 – James Thompson
2015:

The Alistair Overeem Award - Most Overhyped/Underperformed

2013: Alistair Overeem
2014: Renan Barγo
2015:

Best Twitter Account

2013: @danawhite – Dana White
2014: @teamKhabib – Khabib Nurmagomedov

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 10, 2016

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

i wanted to embed bills YEEE HAW YOU DID IT quote but I couldn't be arsed to figure out how or if it was even possible

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Gonna put this here so people can use it as a refresher.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694838

It was a really good year for MMA.

e- also does this voted take into account the beginning of January?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Gonna put this here so people can use it as a refresher.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694838

It was a really good year for MMA.

e- also does this voted take into account the beginning of January?

Nope. 2015 only.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

You know it's a good year when there were no events nominated for worst card of the year, and your picks are all for cards that were "meh" instead of outright bad.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Was 2015 the ufc's best year or did it just seem good relative to 2014's turd parade

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Best meaning had the most excellent fights overall, not the fewest bad fights or made the most money or whatever

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Was 2015 the ufc's best year or did it just seem good relative to 2014's turd parade

If not the best, certainly in the top three. There were so many good fights this year.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i could not think of any ufc cards i watched this year where i thought i deserved hours of my life back. and not campaigning but the july ppv was probably the best mma and pro wrestling card i've seen in like 8 years

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

glancing at the summary it looks like only 1 person actually voted in the worst show category out of 14 ballots

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

HulkaMatt posted:

glancing at the summary it looks like only 1 person actually voted in the worst show category out of 14 ballots

There are so many shows now it's getting kind of ridiculous to keep track of. There are a lot of equally bad trash cards now which makes it hard to pick a few out. Also I imagine a lot of people skip those cards and have no idea how bad they were.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
for worst foul i would like to remind everyone palhares v shields was this year

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
also please dont vote for stipe miocic v mark hunt for worst booking, it was fine booking it was everything that happened during the match (and hunt's training camp) that made it look bad

edit: ON THE OTHER HAND we have Anderson Silva v Nick Diaz or Jon Jones v Daniel Cormier who were both allowed to fight with positive drug tests. Especially Jones considering he was champion at the time and the result is still not an NC even though they have a positive test

edit: going through the last year there are two front runners for underperforming and both really hurt me - Lyoto Machida and Fabio Maldonaldo. In Machida's case he was against good fighters but in both cases looked horrifically beaten down by them and that his time is over. In Fabio's case he lost twice and both fights were dull as gently caress and not at all like the old Fabio fights making it really... sad.

theres a third possibility of Cain Velasquez but then again "sea level Cain" is a hilarious thing

Lid fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 11, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Silva Diaz was very good booking

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lid posted:

for worst foul i would like to remind everyone palhares v shields was this year

I don't care how bad Palhares hosed up Shield's arm and eyes because this happened this year -

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

fatherdog posted:

I don't care how bad Palhares hosed up Shield's arm and eyes because this happened this year -
Got my vote, too.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
thats the best foul of the year

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Should Reebok go under dumbest career move, most overhyped/underperformed or Yoel Romero?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Lloyd Boner posted:

Should Reebok go under dumbest career move, most overhyped/underperformed or Yoel Romero?

Damnit, I always submit my votes too early, then someone points out something like this.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

fatherdog posted:

E: nevermind. internet fixed itself, GIF viewed. ouch

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Lobbying for votes for Robert Whittaker for most improved 2015 right here. Get ya vote in for Bob.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Is Foul of the Year strictly for fouls within a fight, or do failed drug tests, missing weight, etc also count?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Submitted my answers, but I can barely remember most of the stuff that happened in 2015 so I missed a lot of questions out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lloyd Boner posted:

I remembered this too late for the Yoel category
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2Lqq5nyo4

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Lid posted:

also please dont vote for stipe miocic v mark hunt for worst booking, it was fine booking it was everything that happened during the match (and hunt's training camp) that made it look bad

edit: ON THE OTHER HAND we have Anderson Silva v Nick Diaz or Jon Jones v Daniel Cormier who were both allowed to fight with positive drug tests. Especially Jones considering he was champion at the time and the result is still not an NC even though they have a positive test

edit: going through the last year there are two front runners for underperforming and both really hurt me - Lyoto Machida and Fabio Maldonaldo. In Machida's case he was against good fighters but in both cases looked horrifically beaten down by them and that his time is over. In Fabio's case he lost twice and both fights were dull as gently caress and not at all like the old Fabio fights making it really... sad.

theres a third possibility of Cain Velasquez but then again "sea level Cain" is a hilarious thing

Why should it be changed to a NC when he tested positive for coke a month before the fight? It wasn't ped's

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
there were so many loving shows this year that it's hard to remember everything, but this helps http://www.worldmmaawards.com/vote.php (and the best of the year thread too ofc)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The Duck of Death posted:

Is Foul of the Year strictly for fouls within a fight, or do failed drug tests, missing weight, etc also count?

Within a fight, though it doesn't have to be insanely specific. Last year was just Jon Jones eye gouging everyone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I treat memorability as a selection criteria. If I don't remember it when I'm voting, I tell myself that maybe it didn't deserve to win.

e. I just realized that I voted for something from 2016 for sub of the year.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

CommonShore posted:

I treat memorability as a selection criteria. If I don't remember it when I'm voting, I tell myself that maybe it didn't deserve to win.

e. I just realized that I voted for something from 2016 for sub of the year.

send an email to ThePSPMMAAwards@Gmail.com if you want to throw something else in and I'll change it.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Just want to point out it's been a bit over 24 hours and you guys have already sent in 27 Ballots - the final total from last year. Good stuff!!!

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I spent way too much time on this ballot. Thanks for doing this Matt.

EricHall
Aug 7, 2006
I voted in the Worst Event category, but I had a hard time thinking of a card that was truly terrible this year. There was nothing on the level of that terrible Faber/Barao card from a few years ago, at least.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

EricHall posted:

I voted in the Worst Event category, but I had a hard time thinking of a card that was truly terrible this year. There was nothing on the level of that terrible Faber/Barao card from a few years ago, at least.

there were like 50 bad cards this year

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
let us begin:

• ufc 182: main event was funny and very lopsided, everything else on the main event was both bad and irrelevant
  • mcgregor/siver: thibeau/parke was the worst fight with the worst fighters, hall/stallings was utterly meaningless, cerrone/henderson narrowly avoided being trash, the main event was utterly meaningless, and the prelims were lousy with irish turds
  • gus/jones: no fight of the night was awarded. some mercifully brief finishes of no consequence, a tragedy, and bader/davis was the worst fight with the worst fighters
  • henderson vs thatch: odious on paper, did not watch, ashamed that i missed the octagon debut of cody pfister
  • bigfoot/mir: didn't even know this happened.
  • ufc 184: some mercifully short fights and the holm/pennington nonfight. koscheck dying was cool, and ferguson was cool though
  • ufc 185: fine, and really good if you consider the prelims
  • maia/laflare: didn't watch
  • gonzaga/cro cop 2: severe and complete nope
  • ufc 186: almeida was cool, everything else was not cool
  • miocic/hunt: whittaker is cool, everything else was meaningless or tragic
  • edgar/faber: all nothing fights, featuring the RETURN OF PHILLIPE NOVER
  • boetsch/henderson: stupid and meaningless but very brief. strikeforce could torn threw this entire card in like 35 minutes and that would have made it worthwhile
  • ufc 188: main event was cool, the rest of the card was very weak. for some reason i feel like this ppv set a record for worst performance in some way. perhaps something heavyweight related?
  • fn 69: joanna's fight was cool, crusher's fight was cool. two cool fights is basically unheard of high quality for a foreign fight night, which is sad
  • machida/romero: shockingly good considering all the injuries that happened, notable for octagon debut of steve bosse (hopefully the last person who has fought wes sims who will ever make it to the ufc)
  • mir/duffee: the main event was the worst performance in a main event imaginable, ferguson was cool, everything else was bad
  • bisping/leites: i didn't know this card happened but lol
  • ufc on fox 16: worse than fukushima
  • ufc 190: remember all those things you used to like? remember how they used to be cool? well they are loving terrible now. time to feel bad.
  • ufc 191: i can't tell if this was barely good or if everything else was so depressingly bad that this seems fine in retrospect
  • ufc 192: some fun stuff on the undercard, and benavidez/bagautinov was fun, but after that it got bad and then it got worse. rashad and bader put on the worst fight between the worst fighters and gustaffson runs a half marathon while he exchanged 400 blows to the arms with cormier
  • holohan/smolka: nope
  • ufn 77: some really bright moments and also a pointless butchering
  • TUF latin america 2: nope

so by no means am i saying you should think all these were bad cards, but surely from that last it must not be too difficult to pick out three events that you thought were less than good

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Are you sure you enjoy watching MMA?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I believe it was the year of the unsustainable main event that I noticed that Shelby and Silva had gotten really good at matching up unimportant and important fighters alike in a compelling and fun-inducing way and that in no way let up in 2015 despite that enormous post. We are voting for what event was most dog poo poo and I can't really bring myself to pick one out of 20 that was only 'pretty good'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

I believe it was the year of the unsustainable main event that I noticed that Shelby and Silva had gotten really good at matching up unimportant and important fighters alike in a compelling and fun-inducing way and that in no way let up in 2015 despite that enormous post. We are voting for what event was most dog poo poo and I can't really bring myself to pick one out of 20 that was only 'pretty good'

I forget about bad events and I couldn't be bothered to go through the events of the year and pick one that sucked. Plus there's Bellator and WSOF and then who gives a gently caress about that too. They put on some really bad cards.

Like, there was this pile of dogshit in both booking and execution:

http://www.sherdog.com/events/WSOF-26-Palmer-vs-Almeida-48467

But who cares?

• Locked thread