Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I voted Rizin for best event. And third best event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Seeing as so far I make up 50 percent of the ballot pool in the worst card category, I will state I went with cards that were pretty forgettable but in any less cool of a year probably wouldn't have even been considered for my top three.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I tried to fill out a ballot but realised when presented with 3 empty boxes that I have no idea because I haven't watched enough MMA. However, this is Mark Hunt's year, I can feel it.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I forget what I put on my ballot but the worst card was whichever one gomi lost on

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

david carmichael posted:

I forget what I put on my ballot but the worst card was whichever one gomi lost on
Even Lauzon looked like he lost when it was over.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
drat, I didn't realize this until just now, but we don't have a worst fight of the year category.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lloyd Boner posted:

drat, I didn't realize this until just now, but we don't have a worst fight of the year category.

Youre right it's rosholt / struve anyway and we all know it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I had more ideas for worst individual fight than I did for worst event and probably would have suggested that had I read the best of thread before the ballot was put up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lloyd Boner posted:

Gonzaga vs Russian bear. Doesn't need to be voted on.

e.

Marching Powder posted:

Youre right it's rosholt / struve anyway and we all know it.

:catbert:

Goddamnit.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Also should have suggested a Cathal Pendred memorial award for the most hated fighter of the year.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I had more ideas for worst individual fight than I did for worst event and probably would have suggested that had I read the best of thread before the ballot was put up.

When we make the Best of 2016 Thread, let's remember that as a category. It seems way easier to find examples of than Worst Event.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

fatherdog posted:

When we make the Best of 2016 Thread, let's remember that as a category. It seems way easier to find examples of than Worst Event.

I was going to suggest narrowing worst event down to one spot and expanding the Yoel Romero category to three spots. Worst fight might be good though, It's way easier to remember those instead of bad cards.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
if conor koing aldo doesnt win best ko, please stop doing this

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bundt Cake posted:

if conor koing aldo doesnt win best ko, please stop doing this

it was pretty good but there's more to a great knockout than lazer precision and power. such as an audible snapping sound and having a grown man and professional fighter howling in pain and probably crying

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Aldo was definitely crying.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
theres no better ko than 1 punch koing jose aldo

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

http://i.imgur.com/lemNzfo.webm

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

respectfully disagree. a ko is a thing of beauty and entirely independent on the retard / good fighter on the giving or receiving end. it is rad in and of itself.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

I picked Conor and Holly for 1 & 2 but my #3 was:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think I went Holly > Conor > Frank

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think I went Conor > Holly, both great KO's and both extremely significant.

e: To celebrate WebM embedding, the only contender for post fight interview. (unmute it)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12064557/MMA%20shit/muhahahaha2.webm

e: sized down

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 13, 2016

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

e: To celebrate WebM embedding, the only contender for post fight interview. (unmute it)

Nate Diaz calling out Conor was in 2015.

e: Just checked and it isn't bleeped out at all on Fight Pass. Wasn't sure if they would just take the feed after it'd been run through Fox.

another edit: A cool thing I just noticed is that they actually did cut Rogan's mic, but Diaz gets picked up by the interview camera's ambient mic anyway. Once Rogan pulls his mic away from Diaz you hear it cut back on and it fills up the PA system again.

eshock fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 13, 2016

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12064557/MMA%20shit/muhahahaha2.webm

e: sized down

actually the correct vote is for nate diaz in the post fight interview and for rothwell in the mma comedy poo poo in pants vote IMO

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12064557/MMA%20shit/gently caress%20that.webm
Remember to unmute.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

respectfully disagree. a ko is a thing of beauty and entirely independent on the retard / good fighter on the giving or receiving end. it is rad in and of itself.

conor called it and did it and went down in history

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
hollys was good. it was cool the way she set up the kick. but I personally favor precision/finality over flurries and accumulation. theres something about 1 punch knockout, the pure skill of it, that i prefer. conor koing aldo still feels like the most amazing thing ive seen in mma. i dunno its still pretty new but im really jaded now and it totally stunned me and i still feel stunned and really happy that conor is moving up to try and do a historic thing again

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

conor called it and did it and went down in history

But the way that Holly's KO punctuated the fight's story was sublime. Never before has there been such a gorgeous pugilistic denouement in MMA. It's the same kind of beautiful narrative conclusion as Ali-Foreman.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

But the way that Holly's KO punctuated the fight's story was sublime. Never before has there been such a gorgeous pugilistic denouement in MMA. It's the same kind of beautiful narrative conclusion as Ali-Foreman.

i dont agree with your point or word choice. its cool that a mercenary from another sport came in and beat up dumbass rhonda but i dont see what that has to do with one of the most famous tactics in any fight ever

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bundt Cake posted:

i dont agree with your point or word choice. its cool that a mercenary from another sport came in and beat up dumbass rhonda but i dont see what that has to do with one of the most famous tactics in any fight ever

I counted on you not liking any of those things.

Dominant aggressive champion and brutal finisher expected to eat up older underdog in showcase fight on the other side of the world.

It quickly becomes apparent that the crafty veteran presents a challenge to the younger fighter with a strategy that the champ hasn't yet faced.

Younger fighter maintains aggressive forward motion, but despite moments of apparent success, is unable to put the older challenger away.

Sudden moment of dramatic flair happens and the veteran's true brilliance shows as the champion begins to disintegrate. (Ali comes off the ropes; Holly plays matador)

Pow - awesome, dramatic, and visually memorable KO (Foreman spinning, Rousey turning around into the kick).

As a fight, Rousey-Holm had a story, and the KO was the perfect conclusion to that story. Conor's KO was a great statement and a wonderful 13-second hilight, but the fight itself didn't have any internal story - it was a non-fight.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

I counted on you not liking any of those things.

Dominant aggressive champion and brutal finisher expected to eat up older underdog in showcase fight on the other side of the world.

It quickly becomes apparent that the crafty veteran presents a challenge to the younger fighter with a strategy that the champ hasn't yet faced.

Younger fighter maintains aggressive forward motion, but despite moments of apparent success, is unable to put the older challenger away.

Sudden moment of dramatic flair happens and the veteran's true brilliance shows as the champion begins to disintegrate. (Ali comes off the ropes; Holly plays matador)

Pow - awesome, dramatic, and visually memorable KO (Foreman spinning, Rousey turning around into the kick).

As a fight, Rousey-Holm had a story, and the KO was the perfect conclusion to that story. Conor's KO was a great statement and a wonderful 13-second hilight, but the fight itself didn't have any internal story - it was a non-fight.

F

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't say it was better than Ali-Foreman. I just said that it was MMA's closest approximation so far.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CommonShore posted:

I didn't say it was better than Ali-Foreman. I just said that it was MMA's closest approximation so far.

It has nothing to do with it and was nothing like it and your personal narrative for Ali-Foreman isn't a solid basis for an analogy that anyone else could possibly understand.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The narrative about Foreman-Ali that people would understand is someone rope-a-doping. And Nick Thompson did it to Eddie Alvarez, except more by being tall than having great defense and chin

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Holm vs. Rousey was a better fight and thus the knock out was better and thats like the main thing I kind of have against the Conor KO.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Bundt can be abrasive as hell occasionally + if you're a huge baby, but I have a tough time remembering him ever being wrong

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Biafraid posted:

Bundt can be abrasive as hell occasionally + if you're a huge baby, but I have a tough time remembering him ever being wrong

Scroll up

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Give us more nonsensical reviews of fights. Maybe next you could compare Dillashaw v Barao to the rumble in the jungle

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Overeem v Mir was actually the No Mas fight

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Pat Berry v CHieck Kongo was a lot like Mike Tyson v Buster Douglas, because

its two human beings engaged in prizefightings

People were able to wager on both contests

Some people who wagered won money

Some people who wagered lost money

A fighter lost at the end of the fight, and by losing, caused the other fighter to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

fatherdog posted:

I don't care how bad Palhares hosed up Shield's arm and eyes because this happened this year -

this one was also really good https://vine.co/v/egwUOXwjnrL

• Locked thread