Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Pierson posted:

Don't forget to grab annoying NPCs and throw them into the ocean.

Or kidnap them to your sex dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pierson posted:

Don't forget to grab annoying NPCs and throw them into the ocean.

Especially if, say, they are on their way to testify in court.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Here you go OP. A YT link to replace the shameful g4tv link in the op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g

I feel strangely compelled to rebuy and replay this game on PC. They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
That YT is blocked in america.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

So much for the land of the free.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whoever owns the copyright to that song has, for years, been dead set on never letting anybody hear it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I played the poo poo out of the original. It is very good.

What's actually new to dark arisen though? Just a new Island or does it impact on the core game too?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ShineDog posted:

What's actually new to dark arisen though? Just a new Island or does it impact on the core game too?

There are a fuckton of new skills, a fuckton of new equipment, a bunch big changes to character stat gains and augment power. Much cheaper fast travel and an infinite fast travel item, as well as several more fast travel emplacement items both static and movable. It's just generally more convenient to play and the stat rebalances make it feel a lot more "fair" when it comes to harder fights.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I've only played the dark arisen version of the game but did into free start playing during the final boss fight in the original? Because that would have been anime as gently caress and if they didnt do that they messed up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, it plays this song (final boss spoilers), which has a sick electric guitar solo played in the background over orchestral crescendos. So, the next best thing basically. 2:20 until the end is the best part.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ShineDog posted:

If you want the expansion explained the console op does it well.

The stat planner is nice, but it does dumb things like load http content by default so here's a fixed version until that's updated (which is unlikely, no commits for 2+ years).

The Steam Group DogmaGoons is around, but Special locked it down (presumably after I invited 60+ goons to it), so good luck getting in. The important part is having people on your actual friends list - it's extremely unlikely the group will count for pawn sharing. So link your steamcommunity profile here, #dogmagoons on synirc, or #steamgoons for pawn sharing.

It's been mentioned before but Into Free's already been modded in as alternative intro music. The file goes in "\Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen\nativePC\sound\stream\bgm\wave2\" and sounds like an easy replacement since the .sngw format is just ogg vorbis with looping tags.

Preload is 13.8GB but will unpack to ~20GB, and it'll be released an hour before steam's store updates on the 15th globally - no regional midnight releases.

e: stat planner actually fixed the issue

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 11, 2016

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
The wind is ascending me to the PC.

The question is, race to a fresh Ur Dragon or try my chances at rolling into Hard mode from the get go.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZZZorc/
I'd like an invite to the group (and send me friend requests for pawn sharing :) )

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Judging by the stuff I posted back when I first started playing the game, I was super ambivalent about it for the first few hours. "It's okay, I guess, but [Game X] does this and that better and the pawns never shut up, holy crap..." I didn't 'get' the game until I got into my first non-plot-related giant-monster fight, at which point I promptly became the deranged Dragma partisan that I am today.

If you're new to the game and it's losing you (which it can totally do, because it's weird) try to forge ahead until you can run off and find a cyclops or a chimera or something. I remember a fight with a chimera that must have ranged over half a mile of forest, all of us in a panicky swirl as the monster shook us all off, fled, and then charged us again, and I remember keeping one nervous eye on the setting sun because if this battle took any longer night would fall and the undead would come out... I remember doing the same thing with a dragon later on. To this day I remember these fights with utter clarity. They are some good poo poo.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
This would really just be simpler if DogmaGoons was public. Ach well, game not out yet, I can wait. ( No I can't =) )

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Arach posted:

The wind is ascending me to the PC.

The question is, race to a fresh Ur Dragon or try my chances at rolling into Hard mode from the get go.

Get a fresh Ur in, enjoy your cool armor, then go to Hard Mode.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Cheers for the invite Special.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Save folder is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steam\CODEX\367500\remote. I have no idea why.

Either way it should be REALLY easy to port save to the steam version, I assume it'll just be in the Steam folder for DDDA. Whether or not it has a bunch of funny numbers remains to be seen but should be very simple.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The funny numbers are DDDA's SteamID. CODEX would be your Steam User ID (number form), but in this case is the name of the cracking group for obvious reasons.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Yeah in the actual release and not your pirated copy the save will be in your steam install: steam\userdata\$id\367500\remote

The pirated copy is full of malware so congrats on that brilliant idea.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The pirated copy is full of malware so congrats on that brilliant idea.

it's not, but alright

kirbysuperstar posted:

The funny numbers are DDDA's SteamID. CODEX would be your Steam User ID (number form), but in this case is the name of the cracking group for obvious reasons.

the only reason i mentioned it is that there are actually two folders in there, the other one is 280360 which (if it's a steam ID) is Interstellaria, which I've never heard of

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Picayune posted:

Judging by the stuff I posted back when I first started playing the game, I was super ambivalent about it for the first few hours. "It's okay, I guess, but [Game X] does this and that better and the pawns never shut up, holy crap..." I didn't 'get' the game until I got into my first non-plot-related giant-monster fight, at which point I promptly became the deranged Dragma partisan that I am today.

If you're new to the game and it's losing you (which it can totally do, because it's weird) try to forge ahead until you can run off and find a cyclops or a chimera or something. I remember a fight with a chimera that must have ranged over half a mile of forest, all of us in a panicky swirl as the monster shook us all off, fled, and then charged us again, and I remember keeping one nervous eye on the setting sun because if this battle took any longer night would fall and the undead would come out... I remember doing the same thing with a dragon later on. To this day I remember these fights with utter clarity. They are some good poo poo.

Yeah, Dragon's dogma TRIES to grab you early on, throwing a Chimera, Hydra, and Cyclops in you in rapid succession, but for whatever reason it really doesn't stick before it opens up and just sort of drags on, leaving you hanging. In practice it is one of those games that you just have to soldier on until you get THAT moment, which is going to be unique for almost every single player. For me it was just sort of ho-hum until I on a whim I decided to give Arc of Deliverance a shot, overlooking it until then, figuring it would have been a great coop ability, but with pawn AI it would just be meh.

Then I actually used it. The Earth shook, the ground erupted into it screen obscuring cluster of gently caress, and two entire life bars on a Chimera were just gone.

I hate to use the phrase of "get to the fun part", but DD is absolutely one of those smoldering embers. If you can just keep your interest alive long enough for it to catch some kindling it'll eventually overwhelm you in a rush.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I bought this game now. I did not know it came out this week

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
My defining moment was when my arisen that I modeled after my fat rear end, was being whipped in the dungeon.

And generally doing anything really. What I'm trying to say is that the character creator is really good.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

How reliant is this game on its online features? It looks interesting but if it's always connected just for some extraneous poo poo like the Assassin's Creed games, that would kinda suck.

Schurik fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 11, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Schurik posted:

How reliant is this game on its online features? It looks interesting but if it's always connected just for some extraneous poo poo like the Assassin's Creed games, that would kinda suck.
I'm pretty sure you could play the console version completely offline. The only key difference is that you won't be able to hire other player's pawns, but the game itself provides a load of their own pre-made pawns.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

I'm pretty sure you could play the console version completely offline. The only key difference is that you won't be able to hire other player's pawns, but the game itself provides a load of their own pre-made pawns.

So apart from other players' pawns, everything is offline? Am I weaker/is the game harder this way, or is the only thing lacking variety?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Schurik posted:

It's asynchronous so it only tries to connect when obtaining pawns, or updating them after resting at an inn.

e: There's pawns made by the devs if you're always offline, but you can download other people's pawns and use them then as well.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Looks like I'm getting this then! Was considering playing some DA:I DLC, but this sounds great.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I hated having a mage pawn hireling that loved that lightning whip spell; I usually play Strider so when I'm climbing one of those armored cyclopes, ZAP goes the lightning whip and the cyclops starts reeling. Stop that, stupid pawn, I need it to pull off its helmet and it can't do that when you have it perma-dizzy!

Personally I like the kind of slow start to the game. Climbing all over Cassardis, opening all the boxes and shuffling through the bushes and gathering points.

Oh that reminds me. For those who have forgotten or don't know, many consumable items like fish, fruit, etc. which are usually for health restoration, can slowly spoil. They go from fresh, to moldy/aged, to rotten. For some reason the items of the second form, so moldy stringbeans or aged fish, sell for a lot more to a merchant. An easy way to get some money at the beginning of the game is to buy out all the food items from the old lady merchant in Cassardis, then sleep at the inn for a few days, and sell them back. You'll make enough profit to buy at least one of every armor/clothing/weapon that the blacksmith sells.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Schurik posted:

So apart from other players' pawns, everything is offline? Am I weaker/is the game harder this way, or is the only thing lacking variety?

Well, since online pawns can be very very tightly managed by their player counter-part, there is some POTENTIAL for playing online to yield very powerful results, but hiring the offline non-player generated pawns are perfectly functional. In fact, since a lot of players don't put any time or attention into developing their pawns, you actually stand to be losing performance more often than not. So it mostly boils down to variety.

Additionally, there is a pawn level limitation where you can not hire a pawn if it is a higher level than you, UNLESS you spend rift crystals to do so (scales exponentially the higher the level disparity). This does NOT apply to pawns from people on your steam friend's list. Meaning you could potentially be hiring a level 200 (max level) pawn while you're at the lowest levels, and trivialize huge parts of the game; but I only mention that for the sake of completion. I don't imagine you're looking for ways to simply break the game.

Practically, it's just a matter of variety. Example: you won't see a short, fat, green goblin looking player created pawn waddling down the roads wearing nothing but a thong, nevermind be able to hire one unless you're playing online (you could make your OWN pawn a short fat green goblin looking thing). So depending on how you look at things, playing offline could just as well be a good thing to not play online.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 11, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This Arisen wishes to join the flock.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Geomancing posted:

Oh that reminds me. For those who have forgotten or don't know, many consumable items like fish, fruit, etc. which are usually for health restoration, can slowly spoil. They go from fresh, to moldy/aged, to rotten. For some reason the items of the second form, so moldy stringbeans or aged fish, sell for a lot more to a merchant. An easy way to get some money at the beginning of the game is to buy out all the food items from the old lady merchant in Cassardis, then sleep at the inn for a few days, and sell them back. You'll make enough profit to buy at least one of every armor/clothing/weapon that the blacksmith sells.

Moldy/sour items not only sell for more, but have their beneficial effects increased: a "sour scrag of beast" will regenerate a lot more stamina, for example.
Other items like Grandgrapes can be Combined to make healing items once they've turned moldy. :science:

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Half-spoilt food items not only sell for more, they are better in terms of their health/stamina healing properties. Furthermore - advice for new players! - apples and grapes in their "moldy" form can be combined with flasks of water, resulting in red or white wine, a very powerful healing item that will never spoil.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Valatar posted:

Just a quick reminder for everyone about just how much of a douche the gryphon is:

I need to play this game

Can I be a mace wielding sauron?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to try not to but I'll probably just end up playing as a magic archer for the 3rd time. If keyboard and mouse works well ranger might be fun though

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

Ahundredbux posted:

I need to play this game

Can I be a mace wielding sauron?

Yes. One-handed maces are used by Mystic Knight. If you play Warrior, you can swing around a ten-foot pole with a spiked mace at the end, or a giant hammer with a triple head. Seriously Warrior weapons are ridiculous. I might play a strength-based Mystic Knight as well, I only tried that class (also MA) during postgame in one of my hard mode playthroughs, I wrecked everything but the casting and buffing took too long and didn't last long enough. Those perfect block skills were amazing though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everyone saying to stick with the game is right. There's a hundred crippling, horrible flaws with dragon's dogma but the game makes it worth dealing with all of them. The payout gets ridiculous if you can last far enough to see it. Many games die in the last 20%, but in dragon's dogma the last 20% of the game is some of the most memorable stuff I've ever played. And I haven't even seen the dark arisen stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My main issue with the game is how enemy levels are scaled. There's no way to know how tough an enemy will be just by looking at them; two bandits who look exactly the same might have way different levels. One might kill you in one hit instantly, while another might be around where you are and be a fair fight. It blocks off exploration in the early game pretty effectively.

My advice to new players is, when the game tells you that your next destination is Gran Soren, go there. I say that not because it's not worth it to explore, I say that because you can't explore. Not without real hard times. From the starting town to Gran Soren is a path of enemies around your level, and then every branch splitting off into other areas is full of bandits who will one-shot you with a single arrow or a dagger, or goblins who will smack you in the knee once with a tiny club and shatter all of your bones with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Valatar posted:

Just a quick reminder for everyone about just how much of a douche the gryphon is:

The panel where the gryphon lands cracks me up every time.