Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

7c Nickel posted:

Some people actually level nothing but assassin even when they intend to play something else for the max physical attack. If you want to dip into another class for a particular augment that's fine, but don't worry about stat gains.

For me it is less about optimizing and more about drifting between classes once I reach max rank to see how they play, but yeah :v:

I thought I saw in the OP that if you want to play as Mystic Knight you should play as mage for a few levels so I was wondering if that applied to the other classes.

EDIT: Having said all that I am also tempted to switch back to fighter because I miss my Sword and Board.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

For me it is less about optimizing and more about drifting between classes once I reach max rank to see how they play, but yeah :v:

I thought I saw in the OP that if you want to play as Mystic Knight you should play as mage for a few levels so I was wondering if that applied to the other classes.

Just play around with this for a few minutes to get a feel for why people do that sort of thing.

https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/

You can see stuff like that Mage has poopy stat gains from 10-100 so people say to avoid them for instance. The Mystic Knight advice is because their gains are defense focused and people want to do max damage.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Debating whether to get the game on PS5 or waiting until it's available on GeForce Now, because it seems like Capcom puts all of their games on GeForce Now eventually. Is there an established pattern of games becoming available on GFN after, say, 3 or 6 months, or is it different for each game?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I guess this is the final class trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbQlQx-RPfI

The twinblade teleport into helm splitter looked pretty cool.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Heithinn Grasida posted:

So one thing that really annoys me is we get weird double spears but no actual nice regular rear end spears to use. Why do so many games have poor pole arm representation?

The answer is that spears are boring, because all you can do is poke and bonk, and bladed polearms are a different problem, because either you have annoying mechanics or they look weird/wrong or both.

Like you try to tell me how you can make polearms mechanically different/interesting without making them awful to play and without making them look ridiculous when you are doing a ridiculous degree of cleaving through allies/the world and not even hitting with the actual relatively small blade most of the time. It's a difficult problem to solve, and there's no reason to solve it other than out of combat aesthetics.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 13, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

K8.0 posted:

The answer is that spears are boring, because all you can do is poke and bonk, and bladed polearms are a different problem, because either you have annoying mechanics or they look weird/wrong or both.

Like you try to tell me how you can make polearms mechanically different/interesting without making them awful to play and without making them look ridiculous when you are doing a ridiculous degree of cleaving through allies/the world and not even hitting with the actual relatively small blade most of the time. It's a difficult problem to solve, and there's no reason to solve it other than out of combat aesthetics.

Actually having a main class gimmick be focused around a "sweet spot" mechanic would be loving dope.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Im talking to my kid about how DD2 is shaping up to be a completionist's nightmare, but the fandom seems to me like its taking it in stride? vs. if this sort of thing were in a From game, the Internet would probably definitely explode :tizzy:

its very amusing! I am excited for him to play it :)

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

K8.0 posted:

look at this nerd who hasn't played nioh and discovered the true Glory of spear

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nioh 2 spears rule and some of the Souls games spears are very fun, if a game can't make a spear fun it's on them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Spears are amazingly cool, except when they're designed by somebody who has never seen one used before.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

Debating whether to get the game on PS5 or waiting until it's available on GeForce Now, because it seems like Capcom puts all of their games on GeForce Now eventually. Is there an established pattern of games becoming available on GFN after, say, 3 or 6 months, or is it different for each game?

It's different for each game and company, Capcom have a few things on there and have been ramping it up a bit but I don't think Resident Evil Village is and that's nearly 3 years old at this point. It hadn't been announced as being on there when I checked last week so i would guess it'll be awhile if at all.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
With a more comprehensive grasp of the editor under my belt, I present Gilius Thunderhead revision 2.

One of the things you need to know is that when you're picking a base head, the 2nd choice has some serious consequences. If you pick a variant with heavy circles of color under those are basically permanent unless you do the 3 stage base head selection again.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Spears are amazingly cool, except when they're designed by somebody who has never seen one used before.

They're mostly excel at wide slashing cleave attacks in Vermintide 2, yet they're still pretty fun there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

K8.0 posted:

There's a guy near where you made your pawn who sells one "Art Of Metamorphosis" for 5,000RC. This lets you edit yourself and your pawn one time at the main menu. After you beat the Dragon, he sells "Secret Of Metamorphosis" for 10,000RC, which lets you remake without limits.

Trapezium Dave posted:

If all you want to change in the voice then when you make it to Gran Soren there is a barber shop where the priciest option allows you to change that (along with hairstyle, makeup, eye colour etc.) and only costs gold rather than rift crystals.

thanks y'all, I found the barber and am no longer accompanied by a 12 year old boy

my PC's preset head is just the right amount of funny looking, basically looks like daegon from house of the dragon

the bandits on the way to the witchwood keep killing my pawns, is there a way to heal the grey area of their health? I give them herbs but they won't eat them

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

picked up dragon's dogma 1 on steam since it was like five bucks about a week ago, and just finished it this morning. fantastic game. it definitely feels of-its-era but it does such interesting, unique, and fun stuff all together that I definitely was happy to give it a full playthrough. and i plan to play it again sometime for sure.

as the final credits rolled i realized who i want to have as my pawn in dragon's dogma 2, so i whipped up The Eggpawn

not sure what to do for my player character yet, but i think he'll be fun to have along. and a big, tanky boy who can hold all my stuff.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

picked up dragon's dogma 1 on steam since it was like five bucks about a week ago, and just finished it this morning. fantastic game. it definitely feels of-its-era but it does such interesting, unique, and fun stuff all together that I definitely was happy to give it a full playthrough. and i plan to play it again sometime for sure.

as the final credits rolled i realized who i want to have as my pawn in dragon's dogma 2, so i whipped up The Eggpawn

not sure what to do for my player character yet, but i think he'll be fun to have along. and a big, tanky boy who can hold all my stuff.

a little blue guy with spikey hair

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sea Lily posted:

If you haven't finished the postgame (wakestone quest line) and BBI (twice), make sure you do those. The postgame has the real plot conclusion, and while BBI starts off brutally difficult, it's really a blast of a dungeon crawl.

Note that BBI will make you really rich and powerful, so doing BBI before endgame may be a good choice with current time limitations.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 13, 2024

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Movin all those walk and posture sliders to the right gets you get a nice combo of

and

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I remember mystic archer getting miserable to play after a while because it was so defense focused i wasn't in much danger and every fight took a million years. I didnt reach that point until late bbi though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

K8.0 posted:

If you haven't finished the postgame (wakestone quest line) and BBI (twice), make sure you do those. The postgame has the real plot conclusion, and while BBI starts off brutally difficult, it's really a blast of a dungeon crawl.

Note that BBI will make you really rich and powerful, so doing BBI before endgame may be a good choice with current time limitations.

oh, yeah, i didn't even think of the wakestone quest thing as postgame, that was all still The Game to me. didn't do BBI yet but I'm definitely going to check it out at some point before 2 hits.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
BBI was one of my favorite dungeons in any fantasy RPG I've played and I really hope DD2 gets a similar expansion in a year or so. I really liked the tonal shift compared to the base game. It was everything I love about Bloodborne's chalice dungeons but in one big environment.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Wondering if they'll work in the spawning mechanics from BBI somewhere- winning a fight and then getting an elder ogre or garm, or Death, was charmingly dickish.

nopants
May 29, 2004
i hope there is a glaive class they haven't revealed yet

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

nopants posted:

i hope there is a glaive class they haven't revealed yet

The Monkey's Paw Curls and we get a Glaive all right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6zmsmkqSk

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Since we're about 1 week out I've made a Dragon's Dogma 2 thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056407&pagenumber=1

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Monkey's Paw Curls and we get a Glaive all right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6zmsmkqSk

Okay but when's the monkey paw kick in?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
yeah not seeing an issue with the krull glaive sorry that would be cool af

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I finally got around to playing Dark Arisen after my brother gifted it to me a while ago. I don't really play as mage characters in games like this but I heard that the Mage class is awesome, and so far I haven't been disappointed. Spells feel very powerful, and I only have the basic elemental stuff. And the Pawns have not disappointed me either. . . in their incessant chatter. They're just so eager and goofy. :3:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

one of us.

wait til you get to high level sorc spells.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Is someone gonna make a new thread?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TheMostFrench posted:

Since we're about 1 week out I've made a Dragon's Dogma 2 thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056407&pagenumber=1

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Of course, should have reloaded the page.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
One of the weirder things I've seen in DD1 is that while some mage spells take like 3 hours to wind up and cast, trailers give the impression that this isn't really a problem, that enemies will stand around waving their arms menacingly or be otherwise engaged with pawns, giving you plenty of time to cast the really big rear end spells without being under too much pressure. Is that how it usually happens? Can you fairly reliably cast the big wind up spells without getting interrupted?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 14, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah enemies don't really gently caress with you too much if your pawns are doing things

wolves and goblins and bandits might gently caress with you more but I have a secret for you:

wolves ill like fire, arisen

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

One of the weirder things I've seen in DD1 is that while some mage spells take like 3 hours to wind up and cast, trailers give them impression that this isn't really a problem, that enemies will stand around waving their arms menacingly or be otherwise engaged with pawns, giving you plenty of time to cast the really big rear end spells without being under too much pressure. Is that how it usually happens? Can you fairly reliably cast the big wind up spells without getting interrupted?

Yes. Fighters specifically have a taunt skill where they bang their shield and pawns use it relentlessly

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Not sure why I'd ever pack a staff if I don't have any spells to cast.
Though I think any further speculation is inadvisable because some folks are gonna get mad at poo poo that might not be true

The strongest spell in the end game was the charged bolt from a sorcerer's staff iirc

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
jump shots, specifically.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ian McShane will tell you all about Dragon's Dogma 2, Johnathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18HF6jWRIBM

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

cocksucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

also the levitate skill owns, enough reason to carry a staff by itself.