Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Actually nevermind, I think I found an answer to my own question and I am overthinking things.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man I was psyched going into DD2 with a Fighter/Warrior until I remembered their non-existent traversal skill. Wasn't it something like rolling to reduce fall damage?

Double jump and levitate are both so good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
why are my dumbass spellcaster pawns both trying to climb the chimera?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's partly their inclinations and partly how you're positioning them and ordering them. Scather (kill strong enemies first) tends to make pawns want to climb big enemies, so for casters you probably want inclinations like Utilitarian (tactical, esp. with high bestiary knowledge) and Challenger (kill annoying enemies like ranged ones first) or Mitigator (kill weak enemies first). If you have a healer, maybe you want them to have Mendicant as their secondary inclination so they'll heal you, but any pawn with a heal will tend to be overly dedicated to healing. There's a LOT of depth to selecting pawns, I really hope that's not lost in DD2. Learning to find exactly what you need in your specific situation is really rewarding.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i totally forgot about inclinations. this is what they had

sorcerer

mage

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

wow that's a bad sorc.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Guardian might be because their player keeps calling them over to do the circle-casting thing?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

My one gripe with the game so far is that I can't seem to readily spot what are enemies and how tough they are relative to me. Like, I'm trying to find my way to the Witchwood, and I get attacked by a bunch of bandits that I seem to be able to beat without too much trouble, then one of them apparently becomes invincible and can take out everybody in my party with two or three hits. I can't seem to gauge where I'm over my head - especially this early in the game - like I can with other ARPGs of the like.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The developer pawns you get when offline are so much more useful than player pawns because they have a diverse smattering of inclinations so you can get good poo poo like scather or challenger, whereas 95% of player pawns end up with that kind of guardian/nexus/medicant/acquisitor garbage because the system is impossible to understand and manipulate unless you're an obsessive nerd.

Grimthwacker posted:

My one gripe with the game so far is that I can't seem to readily spot what are enemies and how tough they are relative to me. Like, I'm trying to find my way to the Witchwood, and I get attacked by a bunch of bandits that I seem to be able to beat without too much trouble, then one of them apparently becomes invincible and can take out everybody in my party with two or three hits. I can't seem to gauge where I'm over my head - especially this early in the game - like I can with other ARPGs of the like.

You gauge whether you're in over your head when he kills you in 2 hits. You've done it; nice work.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 15, 2024

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Caphi posted:

Guardian might be because their player keeps calling them over to do the circle-casting thing?

Probably and medicant is probably because they have the coat on that heals teammates.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vargs posted:

The developer pawns you get when offline are so much more useful than player pawns because they have a diverse smattering of inclinations so you can get good poo poo like scather or challenger, whereas 95% of player pawns end up with that kind of guardian/nexus/medicant/acquisitor garbage because the system is impossible to understand and manipulate unless you're an obsessive nerd.

You give them brainwashing drugs until they have good inclinations. Easy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Also you have to keep in mind that the game is over a decade old, and most players with any clue have left it behind and their pawns are high level. 8+ years ago there were plenty of good player pawns at lower levels. Right now, there are many who are new to the game rushing through before the sequel. Average pawn quality is probably in the toilet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is a new thread, Arisen.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056407

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

but we are talking about the old game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that pawn was mine :sweatdrop:

i don't remember what i was planning to do with it, but i did train it to be enough of a fighter to get sinew (extra luggage space)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jeez, this is complicated and more importantly, opaque

https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Pawn_Inclination

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

looking at some of my gear choices, it looks like i was prioritizing aesthetics over function for some slots (this is a save I haven't touched in a year, so I'm trying to piece together what i was doing)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Rinkles posted:

jeez, this is complicated and more importantly, opaque

https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Pawn_Inclination

Yeah the pawn stuff is pretty complicated, just know that it's easily fixed with inclination potions from Johnathan the rift crystal sales guy. You don't really have to buy tons of them just drink them in the reverse order you want them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just remember you can use Steam friends' pawns for free, including my level 200 Sorcerer [doffs pimp hat]

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You suffer a pretty heavy xp penalty if pawns are way above you in level though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's only 1% per level they're higher than you, to a 25% reduction max. Not a small penalty but not really a huge one, if you want to just steamroll the game with a bunch of lv200 pawns for some reason.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

True, you can also get around it by grabbing your friend's level 200 pawn and one 25 levels lower than you and you have no penalty since you get a bonus for lower level pawns.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I finally started this game after owning it for ages, and it's very cool. But I have a little annoyance:

Skills seem inconsistent to trigger. Say I put some special strike on the LMB in my primary skill set, a lot of the time when I hold the primary skills button and hit LMB, I'll still just do a normal light attack instead of the special. And this is even with skills that clearly just say "Press the assigned button" without any additional input needed.

Is this a known bug/problem, and if so, is there some way to fix it? I can still manage pretty fine in fights, but it kinda puts a damper on trying to use fancier stuff like skills that have to be timed with enemy attacks etc.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This game sucks with keyboard and mouse

Please go find a used Xbox controller from like GameStop or a local store and use it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nordick posted:

So I finally started this game after owning it for ages, and it's very cool. But I have a little annoyance:

Skills seem inconsistent to trigger. Say I put some special strike on the LMB in my primary skill set, a lot of the time when I hold the primary skills button and hit LMB, I'll still just do a normal light attack instead of the special. And this is even with skills that clearly just say "Press the assigned button" without any additional input needed.

Is this a known bug/problem, and if so, is there some way to fix it? I can still manage pretty fine in fights, but it kinda puts a damper on trying to use fancier stuff like skills that have to be timed with enemy attacks etc.

This is not a problem I've ever had, but I play on controller. Does it do this even when you're starting from neutral? I was thinking you might be accidentally buffering a normal attack before the skill input

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dexo posted:

This game sucks with keyboard and mouse

Please go find a used Xbox controller from like GameStop or a local store and use it.

Other than this one issue the game controls perfectly fine with kb+m. I haven't touched a controller in 15 years, and was never well accustomed to them to begin with. I'm not gonna spend my meager money on one and go through the struggle of getting used to it just because of one little hitch.

Tarezax posted:

This is not a problem I've ever had, but I play on controller. Does it do this even when you're starting from neutral? I was thinking you might be accidentally buffering a normal attack before the skill input

Yup, I was just testing it for a bit and didn't see much rhyme nor reason to it. I held the skill set button (LShift) down, kept clicking LMB while letting the animation fully reset between each click, and it'd seemingly randomly do either a light attack or the special.* Letting go of Shift and re-pressing it in between seems to make no difference. It occurred to me maybe my Shift key is failing, but it kept showing the correct button prompts on screen all the time so that's not it either. It's very odd.

EDIT:
*: Grabbed a short video to illustrate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhqyW6J14c

EDIT 2: I rebound the skill set key from Shift to Alt and it seems to have fixed the issue. Boy, maybe I should've thought of that earlier, huh. v:dumb:v

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 16, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

now that i better understand what i want from pawns, i realize how hard it is to find one that satisfies all of the below

1) has the inclination you want
2) doesn't have the inclination you don't want
3) isn't voiced by laura bailey

but yeah getting a better grasp of the system has been instantly gratifying. like hiring a fighter without guardian means they'll set off my explosive bolts themselves more than once in a blue moon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

any ideas why the game would run poorly on a capable pc? i installed it on another pc, and the fps is sometimes around 60 sometimes around 40, with low GPU usage. toggling VSYNC didn't help.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

now that i better understand what i want from pawns, i realize how hard it is to find one that satisfies all of the below

1) has the inclination you want
2) doesn't have the inclination you don't want

but yeah getting a better grasp of the system has been instantly gratifying. like hiring a fighter without guardian means they'll set off my explosive bolts themselves more than once in a blue moon.

You also ideally want pawns with solid gear and good skill setups. Sometimes this even means pawns which only have the 1-2 skills that their AI uses best and nothing else. Might want pawns with upgraded rusted weapons for torpor application as well.

99.95% of pawns are garbage. Feels great when you actually find a well-crafted one. Then they get punted off a cliff by an ogre and are sent back with an automatic 3* rating.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

If they wanted me to give them a better rating, they shouldn't have been thrown off a cliff by an ogre and/or by myself

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you rehire and release them before sleeping you can overwrite the rating and give them 5 stars and a gift.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

lol, getting an all girl party had the unforeseen effect of letting me join Ophis' gals.

do pawns ever learn to avoid the debilitating goop?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

went out of my way to get a mage without scather or guardian, but this pawn still will often grapple monsters

one of my pawns suggested grabbing onto a harpy to get across a ravine. is that possible?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rinkles posted:

went out of my way to get a mage without scather or guardian, but this pawn still will often grapple monsters

one of my pawns suggested grabbing onto a harpy to get across a ravine. is that possible?

Yeah Challenger will get them right up in enemies faces a lot.

For the Harpy, depends on your weight. Very Light characters will be lifted to lethal heights and dropped, Light-Medium characters can usually glide them for a decent period and Heavy or Very Heavy characters will usually just have them sink like a stone.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, if you grab their legs you can ride them a bit. There's one spot in Bitterblack where you almost have to use it to reach a hidden chest (I think there's a way to climb up there but it's more finicky, which is saying a lot because harpy flight is pretty hard to control).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i've had zero success trying to do it myself, but that's mostly on account of the party being too lethal.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
They usually say the line after wiping out every harpy in the tri-state area.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
hiring 2 mage pawns and having them spend every battle dry humping every large monster I came across is some of the funniest moments I've had in a game

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've put hundreds of hours into DD1 and I have never rode a harpy on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's what they all say