Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So are there bosses in this game where you damage the actual boss with out having to go through regenerating fodder or parts to damage the real boss? I'm up to wiggler and every boss but the first has been a huge slog of too much health that I haven't enjoyed at all. Boss fights are super goddamn slow and bosses get way too many attacks.

I also feel like putting the Mario and Luigi stuff next to the Paper Mario stuff was a bad idea because it just exposes how much better the art style of the Paper Mario games are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This game is less awful than I expected, a step up from Dream Team at the very least. I think taking out the torturous sidescrolling segments was a big improvement, and the fact that I don't have to trek all over creation to IKEA a loving magical bed together is also a big plus. There are too many minigames, and the way the toad challenges are just sort of dumped on you as an arbitrary gating device is a little grating. Thankfully they are usually mercifully short. Enemies hit harder than they should, and take just a little too long to kill even with maximum attack investments. The running-toward-the-screen segments can eat a dick. Otherwise the combat is more than adequate, and enemies have enough attack patterns to keep you on your toes at basically any stage of the game. The soundtrack kinda feels like Yoko phoned it in again, but it's passable enough. No real standouts yet. The removal of mandatory tutorials is a godsend, and the fast-forward button was just a stellar addition, thank loving christ.

It's pretty by-the-numbers, but it hasn't made me bored enough to stop playing it yet. Eh/10.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
My pet peeve: Rhythm games. I hate them. Really, really hate them! So why do more and more games include stupid rhythm segments? The papercraft battles are fun, except for spending time trying, and failing, to recharge my power through a stupid dance. Rhythm games!!! :bahgawd:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

LeafyOrb posted:

I also feel like putting the Mario and Luigi stuff next to the Paper Mario stuff was a bad idea because it just exposes how much better the art style of the Paper Mario games are.

The M&L series wasn't horribly well serviced when they adopted the fuax 3d look. The first three games looked great, if not as stylish as the paper series.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LeafyOrb posted:

So are there bosses in this game where you damage the actual boss with out having to go through regenerating fodder or parts to damage the real boss? I'm up to wiggler and every boss but the first has been a huge slog of too much health that I haven't enjoyed at all. Boss fights are super goddamn slow and bosses get way too many attacks.

Are you underleveled? I'm finishing bosses super fast so hearing that they're being a slog to someone has me pretty confused.

Also I love the M+L art style, I always figured that the sprites conveyed slapstick better then PM while PM had sharper more on point writing for its comedy.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Dream Team and Paper Jam sprites look great. They're animated really well.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

If bosses are feeling like a slog to you my honest suggestion is look at what level the boss is, then look at what level you are. You may find there is a disparity there you need to take care of.

Source: I beat my head against Ludwig & Larry thinking it was literally impossible for awhile before noticing they were level 24 and I was level 16. Ground some levels on the fire guys in the area, came back at level 25 and beat them in 5 turns.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, make sure you're around the enemies' levels. If you're too low, they're gonna hit really hard, and the bosses are gonna be punishing.

Also, I think you can run into shiny enemies a lot more often if you're at a much higher level than the enemy. So when you revisit an area, run into the weaker enemies and see if you run into one of those.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm way below the enemy levels and I don't plan on changing that until I beat the final boss and start tackling the boss arena. It's really satisfying to beat a tough boss and get 2+ levels for your Bros. afterwards.

How are people building their Marios? I gave Mario the stache and pow up bonuses as well as the 25% stronger jumps bonus. Luigi got a gear slot, def up and 25% less damage taken. Paper Mario has a gear slot, hp up and +2 copy max.

I dunno if I'll even give Mario more gear slots at all, I'll have to see what the bonuses for the last 3 ranks look like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The more I play Paper Jam, the more I wish they'd make a Super Mario Saturday morning cartoon.

...ignoring the one from the 80 exists.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My Luigi has Pow+ Def+ Counterattacker, Hammer One and uh, I forgot the other

Mario has 2 gear slots, Jumpman, Counterattacker and another I forgot

Paper Mario has Speed+ 1 gear slot, Counterattacker, more copies and guess what forgot the other thing

I'm in the final area and spoilers for nabbit failed all his bro attacks because his shell is so goddamn slow. I'm kinda upset about that.. I'm also prepared to finish this game without ever landing a EXCELLENT Cannonball Chuck.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm way below the enemy levels and I don't plan on changing that until I beat the final boss and start tackling the boss arena. It's really satisfying to beat a tough boss and get 2+ levels for your Bros. afterwards.

How are people building their Marios? I gave Mario the stache and pow up bonuses as well as the 25% stronger jumps bonus. Luigi got a gear slot, def up and 25% less damage taken. Paper Mario has a gear slot, hp up and +2 copy max.

I dunno if I'll even give Mario more gear slots at all, I'll have to see what the bonuses for the last 3 ranks look like.

Gear slots give so much that those were the first two bonuses I went for on every character. For the 3rd bonus, I gave Mario the +10 Star Points because the Battle Cards are looking to be pretty powerful, and I'm using those pretty often. I had no idea what to give Luigi there so I gave him the 25% boost to jump attacks. I went for Paper Mario's +2 copies there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I give luigi all the stache points because he has the best mustache canonically .

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

I give luigi all the stache points because he has the best mustache canonically .

:same:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished the game. The final boss and the leadup were all cool as hell.

I appreciate the last 3 koopalings finally get to fight and they're just a giant rear end joke.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 26, 2016

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to skip a turn? I'd like to get some dodging achievements filled out, but it's hard to do so when I am forced to attack and kill the enemies. The only time I've seen the IDLE option was when I was trying to get my additional actions back from the koopas.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Is it possible to skip a turn? I'd like to get some dodging achievements filled out, but it's hard to do so when I am forced to attack and kill the enemies. The only time I've seen the IDLE option was when I was trying to get my additional actions back from the koopas.

I don't think so. Maybe try buying a whole bunch of a cheap use item and then just using them instead of taking your turn?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's what Boo Biscuits are for. Go buy 99 of them and use them to get the dodge challenges

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Regy Rusty posted:

That's what Boo Biscuits are for. Go buy 99 of them and use them to get the dodge challenges

Ah, I knew those were good for dodging but haven't purchased additional ones yet. I suppose that will work as well. Thanks!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So it turns out the Farmer Boots make a return in this game (sometimes turns coins into beans.) But the way to get them is really convoluted. The enemies that give them to you are in the final area. You have to get them from Broozers, but not just any Brrozer. A shiny Paper Broozer. And they don't drop from them (They just drop Ultra Candies.) Instead, you have to wait for them to use their barrel toss attack and counter those successfully. There is a really rare chance of one of those containing the boots.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I thought the battle card stuff would be really gimmicky and stupid at first but I've really been liking it. It's nice that it adds that extra layer of strategy on top of the fights, and it's always fun to be able to turn your opponents into goombas :)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, not being able to recharge your energy freely in Battle Ring Papercraft battles really changes how you're supposed to play these. Any tips on S-ranking the Papercraft Kamek fight? That one is giving me a lot of trouble since I can't find a good time to recharge when Kamek is on the field.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 27, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I sincerely hope that future games has more Toadette. She's always been a favorite character of mine and looking back at events in Paper Jam she really was one of the main heroes. She was great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I sincerely hope that future games has more Toadette. She's always been a favorite character of mine and looking back at events in Paper Jam she really was one of the main heroes. She was great.

My favorite bit with her so far was when she was like "I've tracked a few treasures in my time you know!" :3:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Holy poo poo. boo biscuits are great. I feel like an idiot for not using them earlier.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just made it to Bowser's Castle and I realized I got like 15 of every kind of bean.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I hope those arbitrary Paper Toad fetch quests are kept to a minimum because it could easily sour me on the game if they go overboard with them.

Every single town you go to will block you off until you do a minigame for toads or just because they said so.

One part sets it up for a Kamek fight and then proceeds into a kinda dumb minigame.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done this for every game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lol that Peach likes riding in the clown car.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

So I came across this fight, not outside of the intended path (I think), and these hammer bros are doing something like 3x as much damage as any other standard enemy I've fought to this point. As in, every time I get hit it's for like 240 damage. I basically have to make sure not to take any damage the entire fight because any attack will one-shot me. Any ideas on what's going on? I'm up on the clouds after bowser's castle

edit: oh and two of the hammer bros (four total) are the sparkly kind which I have not encountered up to this point.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 29, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Shiny enemies are way higher level than other types, that's why they're doing so much damage.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah, shiny paper enemies just start randomly showing up at some point. They're significantly higher level and comparatively tougher, but they're also guaranteed to drop rare items (usually shiny battle cards, sometimes equipment) on death and give much more experience and coins as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, how are you supposed to get an excellent for Toad Trail? Sometimes I do it perfectly, and sometimes I end up popping a lot of balloons and just fall off the path. The steering seems really finicky.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, how are you supposed to get an excellent for Toad Trail? Sometimes I do it perfectly, and sometimes I end up popping a lot of balloons and just fall off the path. The steering seems really finicky.

Are you holding forward? I see a lot of people somehow miss that part and slooowly chug along the line of toads. If you're holding forward you speed up a LOT but you stick to the trail super easy and only need slight directional tilts to alter where you are.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I am, I did pick up on that, but I still end up veering off the path sometimes. The really sharp left and right turns trip me up if those pop up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

While we're on the subject of annoying Bros Attacks, the shuriken attack is really finicky as well. The very last part, where you have the huge shuriken, seems to whiff half the time. I know you're supposed to throw it when they're all clumped together, but the stupid thing locks on if you hover it over any of the enemies. Then half the time when I throw it it just completely whiffs everything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

While we're on the subject of annoying Bros Attacks, the shuriken attack is really finicky as well. The very last part, where you have the huge shuriken, seems to whiff half the time. I know you're supposed to throw it when they're all clumped together, but the stupid thing locks on if you hover it over any of the enemies. Then half the time when I throw it it just completely whiffs everything.

For the last phase, lock onto one enemy, and just wait for all the paper to clump together, and then throw it the moment that happens.

A tip for Cannonball Chuck, you don't have to slam down on the enemy at full speed. You can slow down its descent a bit. All that matters is if you squish an enemy in the end. Also, you don't have to wait for Mario to spin it around a few times. You can just press A the moment the cannonball is facing forward.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 29, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PantsBandit posted:

Fun fact with shuriken, after 3 "stops" the paper will ALWAYS clump together, it's always the same number of times and it's one of the easiest moves to use because of it. Just lock onto a random one and wait for it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm only about halfway through the game, just got part of the way up the mountain, but this might be the most fun Mario & Luigi game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Is the EXP gain you get from the Mushroom EXP perk significant at all? I'm wondering if it's at all worth using over the other rank bonuses. And does it apply only to mushrooms you eat in battle, and do 1 up mushrooms count?

• Locked thread