Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Deviant posted:

Ok neato~

What rank bonuses are good? I gave everyone +1 Gear Slot off the start. Figured I could get beans later to make up the stat gap if need be.

Yeah I maxed out gear slots asap. You can get some really good effects with the right gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I beat Paper Jam Bros. not too long ago and I consider it better than Partners in Time and Dream Team Bros. but weaker than Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story. A very in-the-middle game, qualitywise.

My biggest complaint in the end was that it was a bit too short, which is funny because Dream Team Bros. I found too long. PJB took me slightly over 22 hours, DTB somewhere north of 40. Probably helps that DTB just dragged on and on towards the end and the giant battles were bad. Papercraft battles were much less annoying, even if they had their issues.

I gave Luigi all the Stache beans. Since this made a lot of his hits Lucky, it was one of the key ingredients in making Drill Shell his best single-target Bros attack even at the end of the game. For Mario I mostly stuck to Cannonball Chuck because I never quite got the hang of Toad Trail. The Trio Attacks I had problems with, though - did I just completely gently caress up at it, or does Trio Meteor suck? Trio Kite was the only one I got any real consistency with so I kept using that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I put stat ups on luigi without gear slots and he is a unstoppable death juggernaut who has nearly 200 in every stat. He may not have any situational buffs but he doesn't need them. Paper Mario is basically the same just

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

22 hours! That is pretty short. I was worried I was getting near the end, just about at the top of Mount Brrr and 14 hours in.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I went straight for stat upgrades too and Luigi just constantly gets lucky hits now.

Paper Mario I put on as much damage stuff and ignored any defense for him and his standard jump attack is amazing with a full stack.

Mario sits in the corner and wishes he was as cool as the other two.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah any attack with a whole lot of hits is really good with a high luck stat. Luigi's water balloon attack absolutely wrecks big groups with high luck.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah any attack with a whole lot of hits is really good with a high luck stat. Luigi's water balloon attack absolutely wrecks big groups with high luck.

Is that a late-game bro attack, or did I miss it and should I backtrack some? I'm about halfway through Bowser's castle, which I'm assuming is the end? Although I do hope they follow the recent Mario trend of "The End...?" and there ends up being like 4 or 5 more hard zones/dungeons.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

enojy posted:

Is that a late-game bro attack, or did I miss it and should I backtrack some? I'm about halfway through Bowser's castle, which I'm assuming is the end? Although I do hope they follow the recent Mario trend of "The End...?" and there ends up being like 4 or 5 more hard zones/dungeons.

What was the last boss you fought?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dr. Fetus posted:

What was the last boss you fought?

I just fought Papercraft King Boo Not too long ago, and worked my way a bit further into the castle after that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

enojy posted:

I just fought Papercraft King Boo Not too long ago, and worked my way a bit further into the castle after that.

You didn't miss the bro attack.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just unlocked Trio Meteor and Luigi still only has 3 Bros Attacks. If Drill Shell weren't so good I'd be mad.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Suppose this is the best place to mention that I've started playing Bowser's Inside Story. I've finished the second giant battle as of this writing, and I'm enjoying the game so far. It's just the right amount of challenge to still be nail-biting without actually making me sweat a whole lot. The disparity in levels and experience between Bowser and the bros. bothers me sometimes though. Not sure what else I could say so far, I'm excited to keep on progressing! I'd love to do more optional exploration, but I'm not sure when the best time is to start doing that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Holy poo poo Wiggler is stomping my poo poo into the dirt. I might have to go farm a level.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wiggler is when this game gets real. Looking back, Wiggler was just abnormally tough compared to the rest of the game. You just gotta learn how to avoid his attacks and it's no big deal. Probably no grinding needed, unless you've been avoiding a lot of encounters.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
I've gotten to the final boss, gotten all the attacks, and fought it and died. Actually died. I'm at level 40. This boss's design is awesome. :)

Also, I sold Dream Team. Was this a bad idea?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Dream Team is tedious garbage and you did the right thing by jettisoning it from your collection.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For what it's worth, the tutorials in Bowser's Inside Story haven't stopped. I'm still learning moves or doing new in-the-body minigames even as I approach the final boss.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, Paper Jam is my first Mario and Luigi game in a while, and I haven't used any of the beans I've found yet. Are beans best suited for pumping up a character's already strong stats, or should I be reserving some to round out weaknesses?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

inkmoth posted:

So, Paper Jam is my first Mario and Luigi game in a while, and I haven't used any of the beans I've found yet. Are beans best suited for pumping up a character's already strong stats, or should I be reserving some to round out weaknesses?

Beans are best used to give Luigi the finest stache of all time

Nothing else matters

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alxprit posted:

For what it's worth, the tutorials in Bowser's Inside Story haven't stopped. I'm still learning moves or doing new in-the-body minigames even as I approach the final boss.

Yeah, and this isn't a problem because BiS has things such as "pacing" and "level design" that ensure its momentum is not completely killed every so often.

I still don't understand why, of all things, the tutorials in Dream Team got picked on when the game has much worse problems to worry about. Easy scapegoat, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think there's a difference between 'tutorials' and 'okay here's how this new move works bye'

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

inkmoth posted:

It's really up to you and either will work but I generally pick one character who's going to be the best at a certain thing and then pump the majority of that specific bean to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Did I do it right?

• Locked thread