Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Gardening TIP: Live in the US? Now's a great time to start sweet potatoes inside. Just grab some organic ones (due to their lower levels of root inhibitor spray stuff) and stick a few toothpicks in it just like you would a regular potato. Soon, vines will sprout, which can be snapped off come summertime and transplanted into some nice loamy garden soil. Allow for full sun and a good amount of space when planning.

Going the cheap route? Get a few red peppers from the store and save the seeds. Start them in February indoors, and keep them somewhere warm with as much light as possible. By July you'll be marveling at the horror of industrial ag, right in your own back yard. This also goes for pumpkins, squash, and tomatoes, although store bought tomatoes often have a high proportion of non-viable seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Isaac posted:

I got ouside area tl grow and i like sweet potato. Converting to southern hemisphere i think itd be june 6mo from now.

Do they grow the same way as potato? Or os it more like carrot?

Like potatoes, by root duplication. On the surface they send out long vines. The difference is that you start them from shoots, called slips, instead of root chunks. They also like a little more neutral soil and generally warmer temps.

Edit: This one is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow3C5UbxnFs

Fasdar fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

tardwrangler posted:

Maybe one of these?

It's a Superb Parrot, usually found on th NSW southwest slopes and plains but can vagrant anywhere up to 1000 km

Getting rare due to loss of tree hollows

Sounds like you guys need to make some more tree hollows.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
BUCOLISM UPDATE [NORTHERN HEMISPHERE]:

It is still frozen.

However I will take a pic of the squirrels in the morning. We have so many.

Also: Caught two mice tonight. I throw them in the compost but I know they'll find their way back in. Such is life in an urbanized former farm community.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Dwarf goats can take any climate! They just need a pal!

• Locked thread