Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jenny Angel posted:

I mean it has a level of technical competence that lets it sit comfortably above Nightwing, the Darkest Knight or whatever, but it's still pretty garbage and I was always a little puzzled about whether there was anything beyond a generalized hunger for retro ultraviolence driving its popularity

Well, in the words of Paul Giamatti in Shoot 'Em "(film) Violence is one of the most fun things to watch." And he's right for the most part. But that's not really quite what makes it popular. Now I'm going to talk out of my rear end for a second, but I think I'm on the right track.

People love that film because it 'gets' the Punisher in a way that filmmakers don't. The Punisher is brutal! And nasty! And he kills people who deserve it! This is gritty and dark exactly like The Punisher should be! It's not campy! It's not silly and colorful! It's gritty and grimy and has Dark Knight music! It understands the true Punisher!!!

But the problem with that, is this doesn't sell. It is boring. It doesn't want to do something new with the material. It wants to be the material. And I think that's where fan films fail. They're only concerned with pleasing themselves, and their fans and no one else, which I guess is the point of a fan film, but it makes things incredibly boring for everyone else. You may have gotten your favorite character 'right', but your little movie was super boring and not engaging in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Oh it's this awful thing again.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What's funny is that your hokey cribbing of Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech in the beginning sort of accidentally found an amazing premise which would be a Carl Sagan like figure as a Green Lantern.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Lonos Oboe posted:

See, there is something charming about this that the Nightwing film doesn't have. It's cheesy, campy, terribly shot, horrible costumes, bad acting, and a Wolverine whose bones are laced with twinkies. But it has this feel of a bunch of school kids getting together on a weekend and doing a larp. It's like the epitome of a fan movie. The Nightwing film is so turgid and self serious compared to this and the performances are not even much better.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I didn't watch that punisher fan film, but I will say that Punisher's appeal isn't really about being "badass guy who kills people who deserves to be killed". The entire point of the guy is that he's a sad, greasy man with a lot of guns and consumed with a black/white mentality. His first appearance has him as a bad guy, his most acclaimed own-title series ended with Punisher dying and another antihero reflecting on the fact that he made no difference whatsoever. He's basically a grim parody of Batman.

That's why the Thomas Jane Punisher is so great; if it had more blatant ink-black satire it could pass as a low-key Verhoeven film. Dude's squad kills an out-of-his depth teenager, he shrugs it off as a Good Shoot, and the almost immediate next scene is the teens' mafia parents bawling their eyes out over his death.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

That's why the Thomas Jane Punisher is so great; if it had more blatant ink-black satire it could pass as a low-key Verhoeven film. Dude's squad kills an out-of-his depth teenager, he shrugs it off as a Good Shoot, and the almost immediate next scene is the teens' mafia parents bawling their eyes out over his death.

Thus ending another cycle of violence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

What's funny is that your hokey cribbing of Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech in the beginning sort of accidentally found an amazing premise which would be a Carl Sagan like figure as a Green Lantern.

It would be cool to get that character but have him refuse to be a cop.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thus ending another cycle of violence.

I love that post sooo much

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So some guys had a Kickstarter campaign back in early 2014 for their He-Man fan film and they recently completed the film and had it shown at several cinemas including Grauman's Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood and a He-Man convention in Germany :

And they even had customized parts for pre-existing He-Man action figures made so that fans could have action figures of the fan film:

And they released a whole bunch of teaser videos and gag reels and then the FINALLY released the much anticipated film onto youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPzBYwjVk8

:pwn:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'd love to see night vision footage of the audience watching that, like in some horror movie trailers.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
12 thousand dollars

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GonSmithe posted:

12 thousand dollars

They probably spent more on the airline tickets for the entire cast to travel around to the various cinemas and across to Germany to attend the screenings.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had to turn that poo poo off not because of the terrible acting, but because the backgrounds were wobbling and warping every which way. A bizarre stylistic choice.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They probably spent more on the airline tickets for the entire cast to travel around to the various cinemas and across to Germany to attend the screenings.

Twelve. Thousand. Dollars.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Jack Black is...

HE-MAN

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I had to turn that poo poo off not because of the terrible acting, but because the backgrounds were wobbling and warping every which way. A bizarre stylistic choice.

I loved that they greenscreened 95% of the film but out of the infinite number of backgrounds they could have inserted behind their actors they went with "clonestamped brick wall" for pretty much every single shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

I wish people would make fan films out of good material, not just stupid comics. I want to see the prequel adventures of Colonel Nicholson(Alec Guinness) from Bridge on the River Kwai, or the childhood of Lancaster Dodd, or the wartime experiences of Travis Bickle.

Does this count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OABeWNqZph4

E: I just remembered this monstrosity. Apologies for the quality and if it's been posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSOeLvj_cxs

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 5, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I saw the poster and trailer in a thread on Rowdy Ringsports and couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GonSmithe posted:

12 thousand dollars

hbomb voice

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress it.

3 years ago I wanted to make this one fan film. It never fell through. Probably for the better...but drat, I'm super tempted to do it now after that He-Man poo poo. Like...good christ man.
I have like 3 scripts I've written for this loving thing. If anyone wants to read them to laugh at, feel free to PM me, and I will oblige.

also yeah, I know I misspelled horrible. Just something I overlooked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_IAwH2pOuc

We shot this teaser in like, I believe less than an hour. Mostly just as a hair and costume test. I think we did shoot a little bit of the actual short, but the fog machine broke midway though and hosed up the scene. And then after that it just started to fall apart.
I just put this teaser out to see what the interest for a live action movie based off a cult cartoon from like 15 years ago would be. Every once a while, I do get a message asking where it is. I never respond.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So some guys had a Kickstarter campaign back in early 2014 for their He-Man fan film and they recently completed the film and had it shown at several cinemas including Grauman's Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood and a He-Man convention in Germany :

And they even had customized parts for pre-existing He-Man action figures made so that fans could have action figures of the fan film:

And they released a whole bunch of teaser videos and gag reels and then the FINALLY released the much anticipated film onto youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPzBYwjVk8

:pwn:

I'm pretty sure the lady characters at least had the dignity of like a one-piece or leotard when they were 80s toys. Boob spirals also seem like an odd choice.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm mainly just baffled as to why you would want to make a He-man movie where only one dude and zero dudettes are buff, there's only SFX fighting, and it all takes place in a greenscreen cubicle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm confused as to why you'd make a He-man film when Masters of the Universe exists and is perfect.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I'm confused as to why you'd make a He-man film when Masters of the Universe exists and is perfect.

Needs more Clamp Champ.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

http://i.imgur.com/tqNlE9N.webm

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Frank Langella's perfect Raul-Julia-as-M.-Bison moment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

Frank Langella's perfect Raul-Julia-as-M.-Bison moment.

I'm really glad Frank Langella apparently genuinely enjoyed playing Skeletor.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
Wow, really surprised to see this thread going.

FreudianSlippers posted:

My main problem with the film is how inconsistent the sound is. In some scenes the dialogue is barely audible and in other scenes it's decently mixed. Sometimes there's even a huge difference within a scene with one character being pretty clear and the other being way too low.

Yeah, we definitely had some mixing issues rushing to meet our dealine for launch. We are working on a remix with a professional sound guy for festival, etc.

raditts posted:

IIRC, this is the guy whose last thread for this film had the words "Slag away!" in the title then he got all pissy and abandoned the thread when people did exactly that.
I wasn't pissy, but I did get defensive. In the end, I shouldn't have tried defend my work when it wasn't accepted. It wasn't completely where we wanted it, and as the director it is my fault, so I take responsibility for that.
I didn't really leave the thread, it just kind of died and I realized I wasn't doing anyone any favors by speaking out on the films behalf. The teaser and film, should've stood on their own, and in the end it wasn't accepted the way I wanted, it's my own drat fault. You can't please everyone, but you can sure try. I appreciate anyone who did watch it and took the time to post feedback here, positive or negative.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's super weird that all these modern fan films look worse than Batman: Dead End

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOB13T6Zmh8

Dead End's acting is a little better, too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To give credit where credit is due: it's cool that you and your buds are at least trying. There's plenty of dudes with ideas and zero aspiration, or film students who don't pick up a camera after school and do -something-. And it seems like the first thread's made you humble enough to take criticism to heart.

I'l probably watch it tomorrow and say my piece.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I'm mainly just baffled as to why you would want to make a He-man movie where only one dude and zero dudettes are buff...

Seriously. I have to laugh every time I see Skeletor's noodly arms. I guess they thought He-Man's actor was buff enough for everybody.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
For being a skeleton, the original skeletor was quite muscular.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Only his face was a skeleton the rest of him was pure muscle.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FreudianSlippers posted:

Only his face was a skeleton the rest of him was pure muscle.

Then he should have been Muscletor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They were all He-Man but with differently colored skin and diapers made of differently colored fur.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

For being a skeleton, the original skeletor was quite muscular.

He used to look like this before getting his face burnt off by evil magic acid or whatever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

They were all He-Man but with differently colored skin and diapers made of differently colored fur.

Kind of like the only difference between Prince Adam and He-Man was that he took his shirt off and applied bronzer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

He used to look like this before getting his face burnt off by evil magic acid or whatever.

I dont think it was magical; iirc in the 2002 version he straight up just whips a vial of acid at the king, it gets knocked back, and he gets an acid facial.

Also, how can you link Keldor without showing off the awesome melting face head from the 02 version:

Noice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lurdiak posted:

Did someone say ..... Keldor? In the fan film thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX6h6U7bX9E

These guys actually made a He-Man fan film trilogy. Nearly three and a half hours of runtime!

Part 1: The Wizard of Stone Mountain (71 minutes)
Part 2: The Fountain of Life (57 minutes)
Part 3: The Trials of Darksmoke (73 minutes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I hope Prince Adam was there and fruitlessly tried to convince him not to play with evil magic acid. Aaaaadaaaam!

• Locked thread