Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Rhyno posted:

He always plans to make money off this. It's going to be fantastic when Time Warner crushes him beneath their boot.

I retract my previous comment and these people can go gently caress themselves. Woman flashing minge or not, when you start looking for cash off people that's when I flash my Logans. I know so many film makers with amazing talent and ideas that are not based off of well known properties trying to even raise a fraction of the money so they can implement their ideas. There are also a ton of people making pretty shoddy fan movies with their own time and cash for sheer love and I always respected their passion if not their skill. You can't look for money for this stuff unless you know what the gently caress you are doing. You are right, it will be fantastic when it crashes and burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you make money or get money to make your fan film you loving suck.

If I'm gonna make my pet project dream of making a live action Invader Zim movie about Dib going after paranormal monsters I'm paying for that poo poo myself using the quarters in my couch.

It ain't worth the money. Just make your neat fan film, tell a good story and feel good about it.

Remember that Spawn short where it's shot really well and has cool CGI but is ultimately nothing and completely boring? Don't do that. Tell a story.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's more TVIV than CD but a Star Trek fan-film recently got lawyered hard because the creators said they were going to use the kickstarter funds to start their own studio and paid themselves salaries. Lawyered so hard there are now very strict restrictions on how you can crowdfund, make and distribute fan-made Star Trek productions. If that dude thinks nobody is watching he is wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pierson posted:

It's more TVIV than CD but a Star Trek fan-film recently got lawyered hard because the creators said they were going to use the kickstarter funds to start their own studio and paid themselves salaries. Lawyered so hard there are now very strict restrictions on how you can crowdfund, make and distribute fan-made Star Trek productions. If that dude thinks nobody is watching he is wrong.

Oh yeah, I am fully aware of Axanar and it will be awesome when the STUD gets his first C&D order.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
On the other side of things, I remember that Battlestar Galactica had a fan film contest and provided a load of sound effects, greenscreen plates and cut aways of ships flying around and establishing space shots. The results were actually pretty decent and having that support helped polish a lot of the films. I always really respected that.

Edit: Not implying people should not protect their copyright. It's just cool when it works out for everyone.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember that many years ago when Colbert was starting out he did a Star Wars Kid bit with a green screen and asked viewers to give him a cool background, and Lucasfilm did an entry that was very polished but boring and Colbert poo poo all over it and gave the award to a badly made one with an actual fun idea. It also led to his year-long feud with the Decemberists that also hinged around pros loving with green screen challenges meant for fans. I guess what I'm saying is that things can look like poo poo but be lots of fun if you remember to have fun, which none of these assholes do.

• Locked thread