Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Guess who dies THIS time?!
I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Remember kids, don't type in random email addresses like Jacob or you will be replaced by Bonzai Buddy

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Fanart of all the characters you say?

It'd be interesting to see what everyone else comes up with. I've already got Pubert and Cricket Dazzler going. I'm surprised at how much of their personalities showed through gameplay, though Ogre Taint and Failure of a Son haven't had shining moments yet from what I remember. Give it time I suppose.

Also did anyone notice the scream sound effect was also in some of Ravensoft's games? Heretic and Hexen?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ogre Taint's main achievements to note are carrying everything and missing with big attacks most of the time.

Failure of a Son is currently a horrible archer and his bag of herbs is obvious for a 420 joke. So the actually good joke would be him playing with the mortar and pestle all day to make all of the magically-appearing glass bottle/vials that magically-appear when he makes the potions.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Ogre Taint's main achievements to note are carrying everybody
Fixed. Someone draw him climbing a ladder with all the others literally in tow.

RasterPunk posted:

Also did anyone notice the scream sound effect was also in some of Ravensoft's games? Heretic and Hexen?
I remember the old Dungeon Master having a similarly horrible scream.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 9, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Fixed. Someone draw him climbing a ladder with all the others literally in tow.
Don't forget while drowning.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So why don't they cut someone's leg off at the shackle, then use the heal-everything crystal?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Bruceski posted:

So why don't they cut someone's leg off at the shackle, then use the heal-everything crystal?

It heals the shackle back, I'm assuming.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

alternatively, who says the shackle is around their leg?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

alternatively, who says the shackle is around their leg?

Hey, who says that the shackles are even physical? Maybe it's an emotional shackle that keep our misfits together.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Pubert - The Ratling Farmer
"On the road I appreciate the little things, all of them."

Don't know enough about Jacob except for his laid back voice and one photo with long hair. This is my impression based on the LP so far; the ear ring is just some trendy Ratling thing.

I like the varying races, but Grimrock has a Bathesda thing going with the physic of their races. Grimrock doesn't have player character models so they could have had some fun with body shapes. Perhaps there could be things such as "Ratling is too small, this armor is too big, would you like to alter the armor to fit it?" And then the armor would be stuck with particular races cause you had to cut things off and remove pieces or whatever.

Odd body shapes affecting adventures is the best part of varying races, they could affect all kinds of rules. Snakes and fish don't have legs, being covered in hair makes characters easier to grapple, big fingers can't wear rings (or rings that are for big fingers or even bracelets capable of being worn like rings), etc.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 9, 2016

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Sadly, I can't quite do the cartoony design of RasterPunk.

forgot the shackles. Eh, they're probably magical, given that they don't restrict movement beyond keeping the party close together.

Bethesda did have a little physique-armor consideration in Morrowind, in that Argonians and Khajiit couldn't wear shoes and some helmets. Whatever those considerations were, they dropped them in Oblivion and after.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 9, 2016

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

NullBlack posted:

Bethesda did have a little physique-armor consideration in Morrowind, in that Argonians and Khajiit couldn't wear shoes and some helmets. Whatever those considerations were, they dropped them in Oblivion and after.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.
Bathesda isn't quite what they used to be after Oblivion; It was probably the transition to console. I can also say their ambition for the time excused what were still pretty unpolished games back in the days of Arena to Morrowind. Not so much these days. At least their worlds are far more immersive visually so they still got something going.

For anyone looking for more games like Grimrock, ever heard of Lands of Lore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hneiUdCnniA

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 10, 2016

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
This was going through my head through the entirety of Twigroot Tunnels

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

And they said we ignore them when they ask for fanart.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

dijon du jour posted:

This was going through my head through the entirety of Twigroot Tunnels

Little did they know that upon touching a crystal, Pubert Classic will telefrag Neo-Pubert.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Cricket Dazzler is almost up; made sure not to forget the Straw Hat. XD

Recently rewatched the LP; got some ideas for Failure of a Son; if anyone has any observations they want to add let me know if you feel like. Especially Ogre Taint, I notice some of the pictures suggest Minotaurs could be smaller in appearance; more goat-ish than bull-ish.

Taller than most, but also lanky.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RasterPunk posted:

Cricket Dazzler is almost up; made sure not to forget the Straw Hat. XD

Recently rewatched the LP; got some ideas for Failure of a Son; if anyone has any observations they want to add let me know if you feel like. Especially Ogre Taint, I notice some of the pictures suggest Minotaurs could be smaller in appearance; more goat-ish than bull-ish.

Taller than most, but also lanky.

Please remember that the rat does not wear pants.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

Please remember that the rat does not wear pants.

Already had that one done.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Cricket Dazzler - The Insectoid's Mistake
"Spellbooks? I read Mondain's '1000 Ways to Die' for inspiration."

Yoshi is the most energetic of the bunch; took a little bit from SGT Frog Abridged as well. I'd describe what I had seen so far as "Chaotic Good."
Then again that's a matter of perspective.

I've grown fond of crickets; they're all over our house. One of them was kind enough to let me use it as a reference.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 11, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RasterPunk posted:

Cricket Dazzler - The Insectoid's Mistake
"Spellbooks? I read Mondain's '1000 Ways to Die' for inspiration."

Yoshi is the most energetic of the bunch; took a little bit from SGT Frog Abridged as well. I'd describe what I had seen so far as "Chaotic Good."
Then again that's a matter of perspective.

I've grown fond of crickets; they're all over our house. One of them was kind enough to let me use it as a reference.

Getting a Dio Brando vibe from this guy, probably due to the mask and pose.

btw, you're killing it. These are drat impressive. Comic series when?

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Highwang posted:

Getting a Dio Brando vibe from this guy, probably due to the mask and pose.

btw, you're killing it. These are drat impressive. Comic series when?

Dio, Kefka, and Hisoka; I always love me some insanity with a sense of flourish.

Who knows, considering making some small skits of this series. I'll write some down while I render the last two characters.
Before I practiced better linework I was taking stabs at comics so it's right up my alley.

In my head so far these guys are as endearing as the commentators; Yoshi and Travis had a pretend argument in part 1 that works so well. That's why this my most favorite Let's Play channel out of hundreds I had followed since the mid 2000's. Youtube has been in a depressing state for a while, but no channel has ever gotten me this excited to see new videos even during its heyday.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 11, 2016

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012

RasterPunk posted:

For anyone looking for more games like Grimrock, ever heard of Lands of Lore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hneiUdCnniA
Aye, and out of all the early 90s party-based dungeon crawlers I've played, I'd say Lands of Lore has aged the best, largely helped by the cool soundtrack, smooth, fast-paced combat (very close to Grimrock's actually), and crisp pixel art. You can easily see how Grimrock was influenced by it. The game does get rather tedious around the last dungeon of the game though, and it helps a lot if you know experience is largely gained from damage dealt to enemies and not enemies killed.

Also this LP is entertaining af, carry on.

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 11, 2016

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Bonfiesta posted:

Aye, and out of all the early 90s party-based dungeon crawlers I've played, I'd say Lands of Lore has aged the best, largely helped by the cool soundtrack, smooth, fast-paced combat (very close to Grimrock's actually), and crisp pixel art. You can easily see how Grimrock was influenced by it. The game does get rather tedious around the last dungeon of the game though, and it helps a lot if you know experience is largely gained from damage dealt to enemies and not enemies killed.

Also this LP is entertaining af, carry on.

Can't say as much for the sequels to Lands of Lore. They're entertaining, but off the wall. Lands of Lore 3 is a friggin' trip.

Kikoskia is an LPer classic of mine, though the pacing in terms of commentary so far isn't at his best this time.
He also does roleplaying with the likes of Cthulhu, Paranoia: Alpha Complex, as well as a Goldhawk's Darkmoon's Curse and Demon Spider Let's Play with Helloween4545.

These audiobook style LP's are great for the road.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Failure of a Son is coming along. I was wondering what I was going to do with Travis's character.

Until I remembered The Last of Us LP. Prepare for flannel.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Failure of a Son: The Deadpan Lizardman
"No."

Thorn can be expressive, his shouting voice is hilarious, but his natural voice is deep enough I get this expression. I imagine the expression of a 40 hour a week retail worker during a Tuesday. A medicinal artisan and musician would care a lot about their hands so it's no wonder he'd stick to throwing things even if he isn't too good at it. When on the field carrying string instruments it's probably a good idea to store the strings inside the instrument; if they happen to snap, you could find some sheep around for replacements.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Do not ask Pubert to eat that which he has just stated he will not eat. Read my lips: no mosquitoes.

PS: Everyone's fanart is amazing, and we love all of it. We also got a couple badass character interpretations from ChibiWisdom, with some pretty great other-LP references:

Ogre Taint:

Cricket Dazzler:

E: Pubert:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 15, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, I guess that's my cue to put following this LP on hold until I've finished the game myself. I'm pretty far in - my guys are around level 12 or 13 - but I haven't been to the bog yet. And I was also spoiled on that meteorite thing that you dug up "out of sequence". Mind you I'm not blaming you for that, it was just... unfortunate.

And yeah, firearms are maybe a little bit underwhelming. I have my ratling alchemist Qwimzy Blarnum, Esq. using the arquebus, and while it isn't worthless it doesn't quite pack the punch you'd expect to get from how many points you need to invest. At least the ammo is quite plentiful.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 16, 2016

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I need to play this game, loved the first Grimrock. Those character portraits are hilarious, the fact that they don't match the characters' race makes them even more ridiculous. Speaking of races, I really do like how both Grimrock games stray away from the stock fantasy races that are so common in other fantasy RPGs. It's not often your party can include a minotaur and a bugman.

Pubert is going to end up the most powerful character in the game isn't he? You can't have a gimmick class like the Farmer and not have it become the best endgame class, it's an unwritten RPG law.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Wouldn't a D&D Zarchton just be a Sahuagin?

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
Wow, you didn't blow yourself up once casting fireburst on those mosquitoes. I do that all the time, to the point where I decided to just use the extra mana to snipe them with fireball rather than use fireburst. I think it's caused by casting while they're lunging at you, and they briefly share your tile or something so you end up blasting yourself.

Llednar Twem fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 16, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Starhawk64 posted:

Pubert is going to end up the most powerful character in the game isn't he? You can't have a gimmick class like the Farmer and not have it become the best endgame class, it's an unwritten RPG law.

Actually its more like his power curve rises exponentially and plateaus faster than any of the others. The others plateau higher but just take their sweet time.

(If youre wondering about the Alchemist: they belch bombs and crap thunder at end game level)

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

BigTUnit1 posted:

I like how they always draw mine with glasses despite the fact that I never wear glasses.

This is you, right?

Also, the roach is an actual fish.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 16, 2016

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Roach or loach?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Roach or loach?
Both.

Yes, there are fishes that are roaches and fish that are loaches.

Heck if I know why though!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I also knew that a roach is also a fish, thanks to The Witcher 3! Geralt calls his horse Roach, and someone mentioned that it was after the fish rather than the insect. Also that he did not name his horse after Vernon Roche. :v:

It's a super common fish over here in Finland too, I just never happened to find out what it's called in English.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

NullBlack posted:

This is you, right?

For those who don't know where that picture comes from: meet Randall.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

ThornBrain posted:

For those who don't know where that picture comes from: meet Randall.

Oh my god. That thing is creepier than it has any right to be.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nordick posted:

Welp, I guess that's my cue to put following this LP on hold until I've finished the game myself.
Well so much for that "hold", I just beat the game. :v: Figured I'd just play past the bog, but ended up powering through the whole rest of the game in the same go.
I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the guys' reactions to some of the poo poo this game puts you through. It's like, every time you think you're prepared for anything, the game goes "ahahaha nope" and throws a new kind of curveball at you. And it's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

NullBlack posted:

This is you, right?

From about six years ago, yes. I was borrowing a friend's pair of glasses in the picture. This is more current.

At the very least I imagine the glasses as sunglasses!

• Locked thread