Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
My only question is if Thorn's photo is really the doofiest picture of himself he could find, because I'm just imagining him all like "heh, suckers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I'm regrettably photogenic.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of praises - this is a highly enjoyable LP, and I really enjoy the banter you four produce.

Since the StrawhatNO! obviously have a fanbase, what other of their LPs would folks recommend while wait for more Grimrock?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of praises - this is a highly enjoyable LP, and I really enjoy the banter you four produce.

Since the StrawhatNO! obviously have a fanbase, what other of their LPs would folks recommend while wait for more Grimrock?

Skies of Arcadia, Sleeping Dogs, any Zelda game, Punchout, Shadow of the Colossus.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Highwang posted:

Skies of Arcadia, Sleeping Dogs, any Zelda game, Punchout, Shadow of the Colossus.

Don't forget 007.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

NullBlack posted:

Don't forget 007.

Oh yeah. I forgot about "Bond explodes everything" the videogame.

Totally watch that too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Highwang posted:

Oh yeah. I forgot about "Bond explodes everything" the videogame.

Totally watch that too.

You mean "Bond (BA DAH da DAH~) explodes (BA DAH da DAH~) everything (DA DAH da DAH~ Da dah dah~)" the videogame.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Highwang posted:

Avoid Ni No Kuni, all the Bomberman forever and Harvest Moon and you're golden, IMO.

Would highly recommend The Last of Us.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

RareAcumen posted:

Avoid Ni No Kuni, all the Bomberman forever and Harvest Moon and you're golden, IMO.

Would highly recommend The Last of Us.

It's awesome when people recommend your team's LPs to others, but it's a weird rear end feeling when they say to avoid your other ones in the same breath. Especially when it's all your LPs specifically.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

It's awesome when people recommend your team's LPs to others, but it's a weird rear end feeling when they say to avoid your other ones in the same breath. Especially when it's all your LPs specifically.

I very much prefer group LPs and Ni No Kuni wasn't that great a game and it felt like it dragged on for a bit. v:v:v Sorry man, no offense to you personally.

Don't worry Thornbrain, it's not you. It's me. And Ni No Kuni.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 17, 2016

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

I don't know if this is something you'll relate to, possibly for other people here as well. it took so much effort for me and my friends to overcome this kind of disappointment after you've made a thing. Even worse if anything you make just "isn't working".

Not every or even any work you do will be your best even if you worked at the best you could possibly do. It's good that they exist though.

I could just imagine the kind of work put into that LP, but Ni No Kuni isn't an LP I come back to often nor watch in its entirety, but it would have been sad if you hadn't of done it. While the game is a game design gold mine of "Stuff Gamers Earn Legal Rights to Kill You for Putting Them Through It", its atmosphere and your commentary make for a pleasant experience.

Success is often an accident; many people were very unlucky to have released their game the month Undertale came out; it hit all the right notes with its audience due to the times, style, charm, etc. I make hundreds of artworks that took upwards of 10 hours in which I fully expect people to look at each for 4 seconds and say "meh". Sometimes just like how you can't make friends with certain people, it's absolutely impossible for them to get into your work. It could be a matter of taste; they're not into your ideas, style, presentation, etc. It could be hundreds of things even all at once. So I stopped forcing myself to do my best every time, simply do any amount you deem worthy of your idea, time, and energy. The reason is because I love drawing; I love drawing because I can explore my imagination, but I don't want to do it at a snail's pace either especially if it isn't worth it.

By the time I had finished I had explored those ideas enough to be done with them. While I'm busy exploring the next idea, people can explore my piles of old ideas.

A long way of saying effort cannot circumvent taste; trying harder isn't always the answer if it seems like things aren't working. Do what you like as hard as you feel like, make improvements as you go, just don't kill yourself. People like to do something creative and often this creative thing is something only they themselves are interested in, but it's still worth doing.

I watch your Harvest Moon LPs at x2 speed at work during breakfast; the banter between you always makes my morning. I don't get excited to watch them, but it'd be kinda sad if they weren't there. But if that banter wasn't there, I could care less for Harvest Moon in general.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Taste is certainly an important factor. I know that my own views on comedy made Sleeping Dogs the lowest of low points for me, despite it being very popular among fans of this LP group at large. (My dislike comes entirely from how most episodes after King's introduction devolve into "by the way, Wei" jokes, running it into the ground super duper hard.) I also think the Bomberman LPs are great, so hey, take whatever I say with a pinch of salt. :v:

Ni No Kuni desperately needed a script editor, but the commentary was good. And I'm enjoying this one so far, despite having watched almost two full Grimrock 2 LPs before.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I heartily disagree with the Harvest Moon de-recommendation. I enjoy how low key it is. It's just a super chill and relaxing LP to watch. It's also probably the platonic ideal of a Harvest Moon video-LP. It cuts out most of the repeat stuff so things don't drag too much (and the LP isn't two thousand parts long) but keeps enough of it that each episode don't feel too rushed and completely betray the Harvest Moon feeling. Not to mention it's easier to keep track of what's going on.

And not liking Bomberman is just blasphemy. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Do note that I'm derecommending things on my own taste and my taste is that I like group LPs, Bomberman is kinda boring to watch, and Ni No Kuni is too bad a game to go back to watching again. :v:

The commentary's been fine, I just can't sit through the game.

edit: Oh rad, more Zelda LPs again. Those are great!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 17, 2016

DocGator
May 6, 2007

After watching ep 4 I made a dumb/horrifying thing

Beelzebooty
Jan 7, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Excuse me bomberman is the pinnacle of lets play as an artistic medium

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DocGator posted:

After watching ep 4 I made a dumb/horrifying thing

Pubert... eat... the eggs...?

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Beelzebooty posted:

and Bomberman gave us Redial! and the remix Redial'd!
(oh wow that link still works!)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

NuminaXLT posted:

and Bomberman gave us Redial! and the remix Redial'd!
(oh wow that link still works!)
Redial is forever.

Praise-us! The-sweetest-new Re-dial-mi-ix! It's-really-neat such-a-so-ong! Come-on-and-dance to-the-Re-dial!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Pubert eat the giant tongue. Pubert drink the bogwater. Cricket Dazzler drown for loving once.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Now I just really want to see art of William getting super mad at Pubert because he gets every dexterity buff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I misread the word Bog as Dog and was a bit confused about the picture.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Travis got his axe back!

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 23, 2016

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Beelzebooty posted:

...I might have to debate that point, just a little bit.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
So, wait... Killhagen.

Killhagen's island.

Gilligan's Island.

ffffffffuck.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
If anyone's at all interested in the first game, Highwang has begun his single character Toorum run for it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Two videos for you today, since the Ruins of Desaruins of Desar- uh, Desarune is longer than the previous areas, and I don't like my videos to go too long these days. A few later updates will also be split into two parts, and the Pyramid will be three.

This week we learn that Travis expects more from Pubert than is physically possible.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, if anybody could eat their way out of Desarune, it would probably be Pubert. You just need to open up a few crunch wraps and spread 'em out on the floor, and the rest should take care of itself.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Gelatinous Pubert - consuming everything in his path.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I would totally watch the poo poo out of One Chomp Ratling.

(and the rest of the video was funny too i guess)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Just started watching a few updates ago, good mix of informative and fun!

I have to ask though, shouldn't Dispel also hurt ice elementals and such as well? Or are they not the 'Elementals' the spell info refers to?

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Anyone got a list of any or all fanart requests throughout the videos? I think I missed some.

Took a break, got OgreTaint's design down, I'll soon be able to try out those skits as comics when I have all four characters. How close are we to finishing this LP? I hope we still have a long ways to go; gonna challenge myself to finish them all before the end.

I imagine that Peanut Butter Sandwich would be a Mimic. Mimics disguising themselves as food, that's actually terrifying. Imagine them inside Beef Stew or Burritos; for some reason I was always afraid of biting into a cockroach with McDonald's breakfast burritos. That's one way to break a party of adventurers, this LP is starting to turn into Rat vs Food.

Pubert is going to have a bad time.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 1, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Tylana posted:

Just started watching a few updates ago, good mix of informative and fun!

I have to ask though, shouldn't Dispel also hurt ice elementals and such as well? Or are they not the 'Elementals' the spell info refers to?

I think Dispel does hurt them as well. Fire is just more effective.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

RasterPunk posted:

I imagine that Peanut Butter Sandwich would be a Mimic. Mimics disguising themselves as food, that's actually terrifying. Imagine them inside Beef Stew or Burritos; for some reason I was always afraid of biting into a cockroach with McDonald's breakfast burritos. That's one way to break a party of adventurers, this LP is starting to turn into Rat vs Food.

Pubert is going to have a bad time.

I believe D&D actually had large relatives of Mimics called House Hunters capable of disguising themselves as houses.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Finally slimes! It's about time we hit the complete dungeon experience.

Also when Travis said eat an entire crab are we talking a normal crab or one of these gigantic ones the size of a go kart?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RareAcumen posted:

Finally slimes! It's about time we hit the complete dungeon experience.

Also when Travis said eat an entire crab are we talking a normal crab or one of these gigantic ones the size of a go kart?

Obviously the go-kart sized one.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Wait for it to molt and then try for the worlds biggest soft-shell crab sandwich.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

The GIG posted:

Wait for it to molt and then try for the worlds biggest soft-shell crab sandwich.

Only $5.99 at Pube's Crab Shack.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Cricket Dazzler making a sandwich. Never use peanut butter you find out of a chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
You timed that very well. I was just about to render next week's part with all of the fanart I have so far.

• Locked thread