Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Young Freud posted:

Let's not forget that D.C. screwed Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster for almost forty decades before giving them credit as well as them received a pittance of what Superman actually earned. And they've continue to screw them over by loving around with their estates.

Wow, 400 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
it is an ancient rivalry stretching back through the ages

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I thought Dark Knight Rises was a complete loving mess of a film, anytime I've voiced annoyance at the film I'm met with a wall of people shouting me down like it's the most perfect film ever. It was entertaining but poo poo like the Bane/Batman fight were just so poorly executed (it looked like complete crap) I was just sat there unimpressed while everyone else was loving it.

Goons, I know it's cool to hate stuff that's popular but that film was trash. Fight me.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i think if you want to have a proper slapfight over something people like you need to say the Dark Knight was poo poo.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
suicide squad had great bones, a lot of the visual design was awesome, the music was great, the cast was really strong and did their best with what they had unfortunately it had the worst writing and editing of any big movie in recent memory. i dont think ive seen a film let down worse by writing since the star wars prequels. some youtube chick said its just a series of montages which kinda nails it thats my opinion on the movie suicide squad

also dark knight rises was incoherent trash and civil war made me realize i dont have the slightest emotional investment in characters ive been watching movies about for 8 years

superhero movies man

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Superheroes are brightly coloured adolescent power fantasies.

It astounds me then that so many superhero movies are dark, dour and wholly unfantastical.

I've said before that Suicide Squad should have been The Dirty Dozen with superpowers and everything turned up to 11. How do you gently caress that up?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Superheroes are brightly coloured adolescent power fantasies.

It astounds me then that so many superhero movies are dark, dour and wholly unfantastical.

I've said before that Suicide Squad should have been The Dirty Dozen with superpowers and everything turned up to 11. How do you gently caress that up?

By taking one of the most iconic characters (Joker) and making him a bit player. And thats just the tip of the turd sandwich on that one. So many disposable minor characters no one knows or cares about. Youre suppose to build the characters up before you throw them in the ensemble movie, like Marvel did.

As others have mentioned the story was terrible and made no sense.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

88h88 posted:

I thought Dark Knight Rises was a complete loving mess of a film, anytime I've voiced annoyance at the film I'm met with a wall of people shouting me down like it's the most perfect film ever. It was entertaining but poo poo like the Bane/Batman fight were just so poorly executed (it looked like complete crap) I was just sat there unimpressed while everyone else was loving it.

Goons, I know it's cool to hate stuff that's popular but that film was trash. Fight me.

First and Third Nolan Batman films sucked, I agree :goonsay: :hf: :goonsay:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sonofsilversign posted:

suicide squad had great bones, a lot of the visual design was awesome, the music was great, the cast was really strong and did their best with what they had unfortunately it had the worst writing and editing of any big movie in recent memory. i dont think ive seen a film let down worse by writing since the star wars prequels.

superhero movies man

I would argue the music was awful because it was constantly distracting. Like if anything truly pointed to having the entire movie edited and cut by a trailer company, that was it.

Reservoir Dogs and Guardians of the Galaxy atleast had a reason for throwing pop songs at the audience that helped set the tone or even move character arcs forward, this loving train wreck like some kid on YouTube making an anime music video mixtape that will ultimately end up with a few days of suspension and the guidance counselor trying to explain that his 2nd period teacher doesn't want to be his Harley Quinn.

It felt formulated to move cheap Chinese merchandise at a Hot Topic while giving it music to play in the store that might not scare grandma, who is obviously the only guardian the audience has now because the meth lab exploded

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

88h88 posted:

that was like the only good part of the movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

I would argue the music was awful because it was constantly distracting. Like if anything truly pointed to having the entire movie edited and cut by a trailer company, that was it.

Someone in CineD works for a trailer production company and made a post noting that after Guardians of the Galaxy every other client was demanding a memetic chant like "OOGA CHAKA OOGA CHAKA" from Guardians' trailers.

Suicide Squad felt like Warner Bros. taking that attitude towards their entire movie-- "Make it like Guardians, only up the edge. UP THE EDGE"

88h88 posted:

Anyone who would fight you on this is clearly suffering brain damage. Aside from the opening plane scene with Bane I can't think of a single thing about that movie worth preserving.

Batman Begins is the only one of those movies worth a drat anyway :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Batman Begins is the only one of those movies worth a drat anyway :colbert:

cd is leaking.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you knew my history with them you'd know how funny that is

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought Begins was so-so

TDK was decent thanks to drug addict actor

The third one was too disjointed and messy and i still dont get the ending of how batman survived the nuke

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

mdm posted:

Is Suicide Squad still bad 600 posts later or nah?

Given that the thread has moved on to talking about BvS I'm going to say yes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

Someone in CineD works for a trailer production company and made a post noting that after Guardians of the Galaxy every other client was demanding a memetic chant like "OOGA CHAKA OOGA CHAKA" from Guardians' trailers.

Suicide Squad felt like Warner Bros. taking that attitude towards their entire movie-- "Make it like Guardians, only up the edge. UP THE EDGE"

Well the theatrical release was re-edited by a company that usually does trailers so that makes sense.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/08/03/new_report_reveals_suicide_squad_drama_from_behind_the_scenes.html

Edit: oh drat, they should do a re-edit of LOTR as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE05d0QyaZc

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Begins was mostly forgettable for me, but I've never given a poo poo about RACE AL GOOLE :shrug: I know the League of Shadows is a huge recurring chunk of Batman content but I don't care about any of it and nobody can make me

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
funny story; the ooga chaka song is Swedish

i hope you enjoyed this story

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The third one was too disjointed and messy and i still dont get the ending of how batman survived the nuke

HE'S BATMAN

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No they made a big deal about the batplane having a hosed up autopilot and Bruce took it out to reprogram it, doing pretty much the only comic book wacky Batman Contingency Plan Omega Thirteen (tm) schtick in all three of the films

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shouldn't have made it definite he lived, shoulda just shown alfred in the cafe kinda smiling to himself. it was really dumb to straight up show christian bale and anne hathaway.

also heroic sacrifice is the coolest poo poo and i was mad he didn't die.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Booblord Zagats posted:

Reservoir Dogs and Guardians of the Galaxy atleast had a reason for throwing pop songs at the audience that helped set the tone or even move character arcs forward, this loving train wreck like some kid on YouTube making an anime music video mixtape that will ultimately end up with a few days of suspension and the guidance counselor trying to explain that his 2nd period teacher doesn't want to be his Harley Quinn.

It felt formulated to move cheap Chinese merchandise at a Hot Topic while giving it music to play in the store that might not scare grandma, who is obviously the only guardian the audience has now because the meth lab exploded

fair nuff. I think the music was good cause the songs themselves were good songs and they served their purpose which 100% was to distract you from the awful movie you were watching. The good songs in Guardians made perfect sense conceptually and were an actual part of the movie instead of pretty wallpaper over black mold. god drat was guardians a good film

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

funny story; the ooga chaka song is Swedish

i hope you enjoyed this story

The original song is from the USA but the 1974 cover version used in the film was by a Swedish group. :eng101:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooked_on_a_Feeling

Edit: the original version didn't have the OOGA CHAKA intro so I'll concede the point

Edit 2: huh, the OOGA CHAKA was originally added by UK singer Jonathan King in his 1971 cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG3A69CnjoY

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 5, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the ssong on the movie was the swedish one fucckkerr

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
oh yeah loving lol at the people who have been hysterically screeching that this movie will kill DC or warner brothers or whatever remember that its had a mainly positive audience reaction and made good returns. theres no reason for anyone to give a poo poo about what a bunch of autistic film critics say about anything and the studio could give a gently caress for what pretentious little bitches like us think they already got our money

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I want to see a DKR spin off sports film about the challenges of rebuilding the Gotham Rogues NFL franchise from just that one surviving running back.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Otisburg posted:

I want to see a DKR spin off sports film about the challenges of rebuilding the Gotham Rogues NFL franchise from just that one surviving running back.

He's wearing a WR's number :colbert:

PS Hines Ward as a kick returner is a terrible choice, that other team must have been slow as gently caress

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well yeah that's why they died

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sonofsilversign posted:

oh yeah loving lol at the people who have been hysterically screeching that this movie will kill DC or warner brothers or whatever remember that its had a mainly positive audience reaction and made good returns. theres no reason for anyone to give a poo poo about what a bunch of autistic film critics say about anything and the studio could give a gently caress for what pretentious little bitches like us think they already got our money

sorry the general public often has poo poo taste.

there was a period of time where the highest grossing films ever at least had coherent plots and likable characters.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

... Are you sure? :confused:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sonofsilversign posted:

And what's the deal with bran muffins? Take a muffin-- an already unhealthy food-- and try to make it healthy. "Oh but it's a great source of fiber. You need that fiber. Gotta have that fiber. The doctor says we need more fiber." What do you need fiber for!? We're all gonna die anyway. No one cares about your colon as much as you think. If you're having a muffin odds are you're in a hurry anyway. Why hurry your stomach along with you? Grab that big mess of sugar pretending to be fruit and clog yourself up. I mean what's the point otherwise? Live a little!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otisburg posted:

I want a Netflix series which follows the long, arduous task of rebuilding the team and fighting to establish some kind of hope and team spirit in them, battling against PTSD and residual effects from the supervillain attack to make it all the way to the next final where they're slaughtered by a different supervillain so they have to start from scratch all over again the following season.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
To say something nice about the movie, at least it showed Warner is listening to the audience. By realizing they didn't want another Snyder-esque slog through nonsensical objectivist retardation, they atleast tried to recut and reshoot it to make it less terrible. It's looking like their plan for Justice League is to at least try and add some levity and character development for it. I doubt it will be nearly as good as even the shlockiest Marvel rough-draft, but I'm expecting BvS to remain the low point for whatever it's worth. But at the end of the day it's been handed off to "Lets paint myself in to silver age corner and reboot"-man Geoff Johns, so the over all story will still be loving awful from every possible perspective.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

mind the walrus posted:

And what's the deal with bran muffins? Take a muffin-- an already unhealthy food-- and try to make it healthy. "Oh but it's a great source of fiber. You need that fiber. Gotta have that fiber. The doctor says we need more fiber." What do you need fiber for!? We're all gonna die anyway. No one cares about your colon as much as you think. If you're having a muffin odds are you're in a hurry anyway. Why hurry your stomach along with you? Grab that big mess of sugar pretending to be fruit and clog yourself up. I mean what's the point otherwise? Live a little!

It is true that most people could use more fiber in thier diet but a bran muffin seems like a fair amount of pretty unsatisfying calories to me. I'd advise considering a supplement instead.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

mind the walrus posted:

Introducing the ingredients for a pumpkin pie because you like pumpkin pie more than cake is not a good idea.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/26060/pumpkin-dump-cake/

wrong again fucko

naem
May 29, 2011

Does the fiber cause you to take a dump and how does this involve btaman

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The fiber trick is an amazingly clever way to fool dumb people into thinking bad food is good for you

This poo poo has FIBER in it!!! EAT IT EAT A LOT OF IT, especially if you're FAT, fiber fiber fiber is necessary to live

(actually it just makes you poop gooder)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

all recipe sites should have a metric/imperial switch, this is really annoying

like the loving cup system - wtf

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

mike12345 posted:

i wonder how many people type "how many cups in a quart" into google vs. how many people actually hit enter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

To say something nice about the movie, at least it showed Warner is listening to the audience. By realizing they didn't want another Snyder-esque slog through nonsensical objectivist retardation, they atleast tried to recut and reshoot it to make it less terrible. It's looking like their plan for Justice League is to at least try and add some levity and character development for it. I doubt it will be nearly as good as even the shlockiest Marvel rough-draft, but I'm expecting BvS to remain the low point for whatever it's worth. But at the end of the day it's been handed off to "Lets paint myself in to silver age corner and reboot"-man Geoff Johns, so the over all story will still be loving awful from every possible perspective.

At the same time, there's also Wonder Woman coming out next year, which sounds like most of the film was in the can before Suicide Squad opened. I'm certain that there's cuts and reshoots being added to that to make WW1 a light and fun romp.

mike12345 posted:

NO. loving. poo poo.

I remember having a conversation about who the gently caress uses deciliters and someone from a European country retorted that they're used all the time in cooking, because 1 dl is about the same as a third- or half-cup (depending on if you're using Imperial or U.S. customary). And 1 liter equals about the same as a quart. It blew my loving mind.

• Locked thread