Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That is the whitest black chick I've seen in a good while. Are people really annoyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fonzarelli posted:

i'm a redhead and i'm sick of this poo poo

daredevil was barely ginger

Jimmy olsen is a goddamn black guy in Supergirl

you can't just erase all redhaired characters and make them be played by brownheads or black people, we need representation

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

Apparently she was going to play a new character but then they changed it to MJ. Not sure why, like. Just introduce a new character, really distance yourself from the Sony films. Give the comics new lore.

The vast vast majority of the time when television/movie adaptations create original characters it ends up for the worse relative to taking the original material and streamlining it/taking the stupidest stuff off, which is what Marvel Studios specializes in. The only property that seems to spin wholly original material into something worthwhile outside of the comics is Batman; for some reason Batman is the lowest common denominator of intuitive understanding.

88h88 posted:

Are people really annoyed?

Most people seem indifferent. She's a Spider-Man love interest and one whose only consistent defining characteristic has been "she's hot." The new kid is only one year younger than Kirsten Dunst was in Spider-Man back in 2002 and she seems objectively pretty, so I don't really see a problem.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I think the world is ready for a GAY Spider-man

MJ is now Mary-Joe

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That would actually count as "taking the original material and streamlining it" in my opinion so I'm down with Marky-Jake

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

xd

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if they wanted to be progressive they should've done the black spiderman.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

if they wanted to be progressive they should've done the black spiderman.

They already were using Ultimates' version of Nick Fury for the MCU, might as well establish a Miles Morales Spiderman there as well.

However, I believe that Marvel has stipulated in their contract with Sony that they can only use Peter Parker and Spidey's cast of characters (along with others that he had to be a white guy), although with the MCU-connected reboot, they could have completely redone everything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Suicide Squad has held the #1 box office spot for three weeks now and if it manages to hold onto it for a few more days it'll set the record for most days at #1 for 2016.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Good job beating Sausage Party

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Russian superheroes best superheroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOx_ss2txN0&hd=1

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Looks cool. Uses familiar archetypes with new dynamic powers. The actors, effect, and production are all on-point. The only thing I"m having trouble with is sussing out the actual story underneath it but I imagine it was that way for a lot of people watching the Avengers too so I'm open-minded.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hahaha I love the really corny Russian stereotypes (THE COSSACK, THE BEAR)

e: I mean I'm not mocking it for that, it's a good response to CAPTAIN AMERICANFLAGMAN and CAPITALISTMAN

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 27, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Suicide Squad has held the #1 box office spot for three weeks now and if it manages to hold onto it for a few more days it'll set the record for most days at #1 for 2016.

The only reason its held on for so long is that its a slow August. Last week it only made $20 million Which is a slow weekend. If it faced real competition, it would have sunk almost instantly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

The only reason its held on for so long is that its a slow August. Last week it only made $20 million Which is a slow weekend. If it faced real competition, it would have sunk almost instantly.

Oh totally, it's one of those bullshit Hollywood stats that are completely meaningless without context.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Oh totally, it's one of those bullshit Hollywood stats that are completely meaningless without context.

It might actually save one executive's career, right? Like somebody has to be able to say "I'm the guy who was smart enough to know exactly when to drop this turd" and they would actually have a point.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dogmeat posted:

It might actually save one executive's career, right? Like somebody has to be able to say "I'm the guy who was smart enough to know exactly when to drop this turd" and they would actually have a point.

TBH, I'm even try to think of the next major release this year and I can only think of Rogue One and that's December. Suicide Squad could literally float to a profit before going to home video release in December (when the Harley Quinn collector's edition is scheduled to drop on the street).

Edit: now that I think about it, it will be in theaters no later than October, when Rings and a whole lot of horror movies will be fighting for that Halloween weekend money.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 27, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dogmeat posted:

Yeah it took a lot of savvy to mimic Guardians of the Galaxy's release plan that you just can't find from some random on the street.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Again with the fuckin bears, Russia?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dogmeat posted:

Young Freud posted:

TBH, I'm even try to think of the next major release this year and I can only think of Rogue One and that's December. Suicide Squad could literally float to a profit before going to home video release in December (when the Harley Quinn collector's edition is scheduled to drop on the street).

No one's career is on the line over Suicide Squad, it's racked up nearly $600m worldwide and might make another $50m before it's done. Its domestic box office alone is almost $100m above its production costs already so it's probably the most profitable DCEU movie so far - BvS only made $80m domestic above production costs and MoS only made $66 over production. (That's not taking into account merchandising, product placement, licencing, etc etc..)

If the rest of the DCEU spinoff films are as successful as Suicide Squad then WB will be ecstatic. They've released 95 films since their last mega-hit The Dark Knight Rises and the DCEU films have been their #2, #4 and #6 biggest domestic films since then but their Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter adaptations have ended and there's no telling whether the new Harry Potter universe film will do as well as the other films so the DCEU is now their biggest franchise.

Suicide Squad may have been a critical flop but it's doing great business and that's all WB will care about.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 28, 2016

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Watched Hardcore Henry last night, think the trailer for it and Suicide squad were attached to Deadpool when it was in theatres. Doesn't give much reason to care for the characters, and it was a fairly standard punch man shootem up movie. Still leagues better that suicide squart.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

When I first saw the headline about Zendaya on Facebook I misread it and thought she was going to be playing Spider-Man and I got a little excited

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

When I first saw the headline about Zendaya on Facebook I misread it and thought she was going to be playing Spider-Man and I got a little excited

Now I'm disappointed this isn't happening

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I want to make sure no one misses this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_mizUMlvUc

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I just watched deadpool, this movie could have good like deadpool.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

The Kingfish posted:

I just watched deadpool, this movie could have good like deadpool.

Don't worry; from next year onwards there will be no shortage of films trying (desperately and failing) to be like Deadpool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is lobo dc.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yep.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lord help us.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the only way they could gently caress up lobo is if it's the New 52 Lobo

played by jared leto

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

One thing I'd like to know is how does Jesse eisenburg get so much fuckin work?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

He deserves work, I just don't understand how he gets some of the work he gets. Who thinks buff, ambituous, surgical, bald, billionaire, super-genius and thinks Jesse Eisenberg?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bape Culture posted:

eisenburg

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

I think The Social Network got him noticed as being a big, bankable star.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My opinion of Jesse turned when Social Network won some award for best picture and he made a show of refusing to go on stage while everyone was motioning him to come up, creating the opposite situation he was apparently trying to avoid

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WhyteRyce posted:

My opinion of Jesse turned when Social Network won some award for best picture and he made a show of refusing to go on stage while everyone was motioning him to come up, creating the opposite situation he was apparently trying to avoid

Was that the Golden Globes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV8o40KbFDs

Apparently he legit has social anxiety issues as well as separation anxiety, depression and OCD

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

His sister was the Pepsi Girl. That poo poo opens doors, man.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently he legit has social anxiety issues as well as separation anxiety, depression and OCD

Oh well now I feel like an rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A neurotic actor what a surprise

• Locked thread