Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

man echidnapenis is schooling you loving fools on compression

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the goddamn spanx of yospos

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

except the offset as a variable may or may not require more data to be held than the data itself

headshot by the echimeister

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also the Intel thing has a microcode fix, update ur bios

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

how will jawnv6 excuse this one? i thought web developers were the only ones with lovely code.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

except the offset as a variable may or may not require more data to be held than the data itself

well obviously you compress the variable by defining it by its own place in pi, and if that's still longer, you do it again, and again and again, and specify as a pi offset + a number of iterations

duh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

information theory works the same way

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sagebrush posted:

well obviously you compress the variable by defining it by its own place in pi, and if that's still longer, you do it again, and again and again, and specify as a pi offset + a number of iterations

duh

Check out the 710th digit of pi for what you need to understand this concept.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

what is that digit doing to its anus?!??!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Check out the 710th digit of pi for what you need to understand this concept.

jonny 290??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm position 15,773

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh man, i bet intel is going to make some wicked employee keychains from the defective units

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

duh

also have it reference an already compressed version of the data :smugmrgw:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

why do we even have double? seems like a big problem!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

oh man, i bet intel is going to make some wicked employee keychains from the defective units

it is fixed in a microcode update, there are no permanently bad parts.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Management posted:

it is fixed in a microcode update, there are no permanently bad parts.

You always get super defensive about Intel defects like when the tsx thing happened as well.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

emoji posted:

You always get super defensive about Intel defects like when the tsx thing happened as well.

poo poo, my cover is blown

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

another step on the path towards intels lovely chips bowing before the might of apple silicon

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Intel: where quality is job 0.999! :pram:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
did anyone say itanic yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Symbolic Butt posted:

you can't prove this lol

looks like someone doesn't know how the DMCA works.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

atomicthumbs posted:

did anyone say itanic yet

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

apparently intel runs the cloud

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i don't really use my computer for math so who cares

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I would estimate that there are approximately a finite amount of numbers that we can discover.

sure, but that's only because we will cease to exist at some point, not because the supply of large primes will be exhausted.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

computer toucher posted:

sure, but that's only because we will cease to exist at some point, not because the supply of large primes will be exhausted.

In what sense can a number be said to exist without a human to enumerate it. :colbert:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

In what sense can a number be said to exist without a human to enumerate it. :colbert:

In the same sense that there is at any given moment an exact amount of birds in flight in the skies of the world or grains of sand in all the beaches even though this exact number will forever elude us. We still know there is such a number.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

computer toucher posted:

In the same sense that there is at any given moment an exact amount of birds in flight in the skies of the world or grains of sand in all the beaches even though this exact number will forever elude us. We still know there is such a number.

Actually, there isn't. :psyboom:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

wheres the rest of the actual line or did they stop selling them altogether

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

wheres the rest of the actual line or did they stop selling them altogether

the chart was made in 2007. the last model was made in 2012, they're tied up in a patent fight atm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like how the 2005-10 line takes the 2003 actual figure and assumes completely linear sales with no growth and they still missed it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
itanium is bad lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

i'm the POWER

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

suffix posted:

it does one math and then it shits itself

same
:smith:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i'm the POWER

kind of a weird chart that doesn't count gpu power, i assume that's where most of the beef is these days

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i'm the POWER

I am both PA-RISC (RIP, too good, too pure) and the rapidly approaching SPARC renaissance

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

I am both PA-RISC (RIP, too good, too pure) and the rapidly approaching SPARC renaissance

I will be nCube please. Sounds cool.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

suffix posted:

kind of a weird chart that doesn't count gpu power, i assume that's where most of the beef is these days

depends on the workload obvi but iirc top500 is only for cpu supercomputes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

secret santa gift 2016: wafer of defective core i7s

• Locked thread